Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

The official line from PAS, and what is in the EO information booklet, is that if you decline an offer that's it, you're off the panel.
    I'm sure there are ways and means of discussing it with PAS if something really didn't suit you for genuine reasons, but they can't bend around everyone's whims and wishes. This is large volume recruitment with thousands of people being placed and it's not realistic to expect it.

Quote from information booklet:

Declining an offer of appointment
    Should the person recommended for appointment decline, or having accepted it, relinquish it, PAS may at its discretion, select and recommend another person for appointment on the results of this selection process. The person who has declined the appointment will be removed from the panel and their application will receive no further consideration.

If you are on both and open and an interdepartmental panel it's a different story, as you would be able to turn down your first offer and hope for something more suitable with your second offer if they reach your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

MrsBean wrote: »
    The official line from PAS, and what is in the EO information booklet, is that if you decline an offer that's it, you're off the panel.
    I'm sure there are ways and means of discussing it with PAS if something really didn't suit you for genuine reasons, but they can't bend around everyone's whims and wishes. This is large volume recruitment with thousands of people being placed and it's not realistic to expect it.

Quote from information booklet:

Declining an offer of appointment
    Should the person recommended for appointment decline, or having accepted it, relinquish it, PAS may at its discretion, select and recommend another person for appointment on the results of this selection process. The person who has declined the appointment will be removed from the panel and their application will receive no further consideration.

If you are on both and open and an interdepartmental panel, it's a different story as you would be able to turn down your first offer and hope for something more suitable with your second offer if they reach your place.

Think my friend was already in civil service so maybe that's why? As opposed to large open competition..

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭gestappo

Not true, you can refuse a place. Maybe doesn't suit you for many reasons.

You do go back on the panel and no guarantee it will reach you. But if you refuse you not taken off panel. A friend of mine refused twice, still on the panel.

I agree PAS don't take requests.

Am open to correction but that's what I know from reliable source.

You do not go back on the panel whatsoever, believe me, I speak from experience. If it doesn’t suit, then it doesn’t suit. They’re not there to placate your wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RandomUser17

Think my friend was already in civil service so maybe that's why? As opposed to large open competition..

Id say your friend was on mobility panel?

That holds no power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Not true, you can refuse a place. Maybe doesn't suit you for many reasons.

You do go back on the panel and no guarantee it will reach you. But if you refuse you not taken off panel. A friend of mine refused twice, still on the panel.

I agree PAS don't take requests.

Am open to correction but that's what I know from reliable source.

I was on the Interdepartmental Panel and I was taken off it as I couldn't go to the location they had assigned me. No other options were given, you either take what you're offered or you're taken off the panel. It really is simple as that.

Your statement is completely inaccurate and your source is not reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KRedzer

gestappo wrote: »
    PAS do not take requests.

If you turn down an offer, you're taken off the panel.

Sorry, I was asking in relation to the conversation above my question, about requesting a move to another department after two years.

KRedzer wrote: »
    Sorry, I was asking in relation to the conversation above my question, about requesting a move to another department after two years.

Once you’re appointed, you can put your name on the mobility lists. It’s like the internal transfer list. You’ll have to wait your two years but better to have your name down for any locations you’re interested in as soon as you get in the door. It’s ran through PeoplePoint, PAS don’t get involved in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

You do not go back on the panel whatsoever, believe me, I speak from experience. If it doesn’t suit, then it doesn’t suit. They’re not there to placate your wishes.

+1 To this. I went through it 6 weeks ago. For a number of reasons the offer received was unsuitable for me. (Beyond just preference) You do not go back on the panel you are no longer in consideration for any positions from that competition.

Being honest im better off where I am in the short term at least. I had no interest in moving departments. Definitely happier and €5500 per year financially aswell.

So its not all doom if you dont get what you want the competitions run again and again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭VitreousLife

Well someone I worked with was offered a Dept in a certain part of the county that didn’t suit him what so ever (not the Dept - just location) and he was able to refuse it (putting forward his reasons etc) and was offered different Dept all together then and a location more suited.

So it can happen, but he went through a lot of effort to try and get something more suited.

• Advertisement

Well someone I worked with was offered a Dept in a certain part of the county that didn’t suit him what so ever (not the Dept - just location) and he was able to refuse it (putting forward his reasons etc) and was offered different Dept all together then and a location more suited.

So it can happen, but he went through a lot of effort to try and get something more suited.

That only happens for internal promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

To add to this, I was 8th on a technical grade panel in 2018 and I had just started a new job when I was reached for offer, and queried if I could be put to the bottom of the panel and they said it was fine.

Again, if it can be accommodated reasonably and doesn't rock the boat it can happen. In my case I was prepared to lose my place, but it was worth asking the question.

Incidentally they reached me within another month and I of course couldn't accept the place, which was a tad annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thrillhouse11

Once you’re appointed, you can put your name on the mobility lists. It’s like the internal transfer list. You’ll have to wait your two years but better to have your name down for any locations you’re interested in as soon as you get in the door. It’s ran through PeoplePoint, PAS don’t get involved in this.

I think the main point of confusion is whether or not you can specify which department you'd like to transfer to once you are on the mobility list. Just to clarify, when you say "locations" do you mean different counties or different departments?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EO2020

The only reason you’d be able to go back on the panel is if you are offered a department outside of 45km from your address, this only applies to regional locations not Dublin. Also you can put in a preference, you’re not guaranteed though but PAS will note it..whether they actually do consider it or not is another thing

I think the main point of confusion is whether or not you can specify which department you'd like to transfer to once you are on the mobility list. Just to clarify, when you say "locations" do you mean different counties or different departments?

The whole point of Mobility is that you pick the department you want to transfer to.

The AP comp got their etray results within 2 weeks, while we're all waiting.. patiently...!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishwolf47

Hiya,

Just curious to see if anyone has any info about this competition. I've done my "stage 1" verbal and numerical and was given my oom and interdepartmental oom.

I feel I've done fairly well especially on the interdepartmental oom. However, I haven't heard anything since. How long should I expect to wait? Obviously at this stage I'm looking it most likely being the new year before I head any more.

Also if it helps, my choices were not in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thrillhouse11

The whole point of Mobility is that you pick the department you want to transfer to.

Thanks. Thought it might have been a general transfer pool you're placed into and the department you end up in is just whichever one has a vacancy when they reach you in the queue, sort of like the initial panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JDWW

The AP comp got their etray results within 2 weeks, while we're all waiting.. patiently...!

Looks like it'll be another week now!:mad:

JDWW wrote: »
    Looks like it'll be another week now!:mad:

Give it one more day 🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Buster97

Give it one more day 🀞

Yeah I’m holding out that we might hear today! I don’t know if I can handle much more Fridays jumping towards my phone anytime I get a notification 😂

:rolleyes: I give up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A friend of mine works in PAS although not in the section dealing with this and he reckons after Xmas based on chats he's had because of the AP campaign. He had little other info.

That only happens for internal promotions.

That’s not internal if he has been moved departments. Internal means you stay in your department as far as I’m aware.

He was on the open panel. Unless he’s fibbing on what happened with how he got placed but I highly doubt he is but sure you never know

Edit: No looking to start an argument over this either by the way :) just saying what I’ve heard in my job!

That’s not internal if he has been moved departments. Internal means you stay in your department as far as I’m aware.

He was on the open panel. Unless he’s fibbing on what happened with how he got placed but I highly doubt he is but sure you never know

Edit: No looking to start an argument over this either by the way :) just saying what I’ve heard in my job!

It could've been mobility or internal but PAS do not keep you on the Open or Interdepartmental panel if you deny an assignment unless, as one poster stated, it's over 45km away from your home address.

Not looking to start an argument either but I am speaking from experience from having to turn down an offer and from being within the CS for over 10yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JDWW

A friend of mine works in PAS although not in the section dealing with this and he reckons after Xmas based on chats he's had because of the AP campaign. He had little other info.

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

Anyone on the Irish language panel?

Any news??

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

Heya, anyone know of any movement for Kerry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

Heya, anyone know of any movement for Kerry?

I wouldn't say any counties outside of Dublin will hear anything this side of Christmas. I'd say it could be January before the counties are called for anything.

Advertisement