Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gestappo

Depends on the department.

Your EO will be contacted to fill out a form and to ensure your PMDS is up to date and signed off on.

Then if you’re being placed in AGS or justice they’ll do additionally security checks but otherwise you’ll be emailed on your publicjobs account your placement details.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

Hi
    Has anyone from waterford or kilkenny been called to etray?

Not sure about Kilkenny but I think up to mid 20s have been called for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

Just finished my interview. The interviewers were really nice. As ever with these types of things not sure what to think but fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭westhamlady

For Kerry, contacted Public Jobs, they have called anyone with a score of 119 and over for E tray.

tomjmsn wrote: »
    Just finished my interview. The interviewers were really nice. As ever with these types of things not sure what to think but fingers crossed

Best of luck!

How long were you in for? And how was it by zoom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Buster97

I did my interview Monday and I have to say I found it a lot more relaxed than I thought it would be. They were very clear in explaining the competencies prior to asking a question regarding it.

Just on the topic of notice, I presume you don’t hand in your notice to your current employer until your placed; So would they be accommodating that if I got offered a placement that I would be required to work a months notice or would they expect me to hand in notice during clearance to accommodate them?

Buster97 wrote: »
    I did my interview Monday and I have to say I found it a lot more relaxed than I thought it would be. They were very clear in explaining the competencies prior to asking a question regarding it.

Just on the topic of notice, I presume you don’t hand in your notice to your current employer until your placed; So would they be accommodating that if I got offered a placement that I would be required to work a months notice or would they expect me to hand in notice during clearance to accommodate them?

Sounds very positive, I’m not a fan of zoom calls and especially when there seems to be a slight delay between the two screens. That alone will seriously put me off.

Once you get your assignment email, the HR dept will contact in a few days time and arrange when you will start so there is no rush to hand in notice. Just let the new dept know what notice you need to give etc and it will be accepted without an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Am I right in saying that this week is the 3rd and final week of interviews for people in batch 1.2? Or are there people interviewing next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HungrySeagull

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that this week is the 3rd and final week of interviews for people in batch 1.2? Or are there people interviewing next week?

I had my interview this morning. Think it went ok but it's hard to tell with these things.

Would be curious to know this too as I'm wondering how long it will be before the results are out. They didn't give you a chance to ask anything like that at the end - the PAS representative swiftly ended the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Buster97

gestappo wrote: »
    Sounds very positive, I’m not a fan of zoom calls and especially when there seems to be a slight delay between the two screens. That alone will seriously put me off.

Once you get your assignment email, the HR dept will contact in a few days time and arrange when you will start so there is no rush to hand in notice. Just let the new dept know what notice you need to give etc and it will be accepted without an issue.

Have to say there was basically no delay, I had one issue with the interviewers sound cut out whilst asking a question but they had told me at the beginning that it there was any sound issues to raise my hand so they’re aware of it.

They also mentioned that if there was any severe technical difficulties that they would arrange a traditional phone call rather than zoom.

• Advertisement

Buster97 wrote: »
    Have to say there was basically no delay, I had one issue with the interviewers sound cut out whilst asking a question but they had told me at the beginning that it there was any sound issues to raise my hand so they’re aware of it.

They also mentioned that if there was any severe technical difficulties that they would arrange a traditional phone call rather than zoom.

All sound very reassuring!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

gestappo wrote: »
    Best of luck!

How long were you in for? And how was it by zoom?

Thanks.. was done in just under 40 minutes and no alarms or surprises with Zoom. I think they said in mine the results are expected to be announced in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

maca13 wrote: »
    Anyone been called for any Connacht counties?

I was 8 in mayo and 13 in sligo and got my e-tray invite, just did it this morning. They didn't specify which county it related to though (or if it was both)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Severules78

Did my interview for Dublin. They were nice but they do like to interrupt. I'm not sure at all how the interview went as a result. Is interrupting good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

Did my interview for Dublin. They were nice but they do like to interrupt. I'm not sure at all how the interview went as a result. Is interrupting good or bad?

Interrupts are usually to see how well you can handle them. Do you lose your train of through or do you get annoyed by them etc. It's to see how you cope with them. I have had a few interviews like that. I'm sure you did fine in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Always see the positive side of it. It is usually because of either:
    -You have hot the points of the competency already and they want to move you on.
    -You are not quite hitting the point and they want to steer you back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

My interview was the same. I think it was a combination of both, me saying the right things and other times me going of topic. As a result not sure how well went.

Interrupts are usually to see how well you can handle them. Do you lose your train of through or do you get annoyed by them etc. It's to see how you cope with them. I have had a few interviews like that. I'm sure you did fine in the interview.

Its to steer someone back on track to either the question or to the competency, or because they could need to move on (either because they arent hitting points or because they may have sufficiently demonstrated what was sought

Its not really ever "just to see how they handle it" in a CS interview

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

Its to steer someone back on track to either the question or to the competency, or because they could need to move on (either because they arent hitting points or because they may have sufficiently demonstrated what was sought

Its not really ever "just to see how they handle it" in a CS interview

I topped a CS panel and my feedback on the interview was impressed with how l handle being interupted, how l kept my cool and demenstrated the ability to pick up & continue on. It can all depend on the person who is interviewing you. Every now & again they can throw curve balls.

I topped a CS panel and my feedback on the interview was impressed with how l handle being interupted, how l kept my cool and demenstrated the ability to pick up & continue on. It can all depend on the person who is interviewing you. Every now & again they can throw curve balls.

Fair play

In any board ive ever sat on it wouldnt have been something we were ever trained to do nor did i ever come across anyone on a board who used it this way- they'd have been challenged very quickly tbh, especially at EO grade where its not the kind of pressure youd consider appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭11amie11

I was in batch 1.1 and I was OOM 1 for the inter stream and 7 for open.

Received a clearance email for the open stream on Friday and was informed I am ineligible for the inter stream as Inwas 4 weeks out of the 2 years service on August 6th when forms had to be in by. RAGING.

At the minute I am in an allowanced post and I only get to keep my allowanced and not take a dip in wages if i leave due to promotion.

As I am only in the open stream now, does anyone know if this will count as promotion or not ? As will not be worth my while to accept if I am going to drop down to starting EO wage :(

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

11amie11 wrote: »

Received a clearance email for the open stream on Friday and was informed I am ineligible for the inter stream as Inwas 4 weeks out of the 2 years service on August 6th when forms had to be in by. RAGING.

At the minute I am in an allowanced post and I only get to keep my allowanced and not take a dip in wages if i leave due to promotion.

As I am only in the open stream now, does anyone know if this will count as promotion or not ? As will not be worth my while to accept if I am going to drop down to starting EO wage :(

Cheers!

I am in the same boat.

I expect to drop wages if I accept an EO position.

I am trying to look on the bright side that I will eventually catch up, but its hard.

However this is what I'm assuming and have had no confirmation from PAS or my office that this is how it will be.

You could contact PAS for confirmation. And it's not helpful but you could wait the 2 years and reapply. You did so well this time you're likely to do well next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KRedzer

Just regarding the above two comments - does past service/current not count towards movement up the pay scale if its from the open stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Cheers!

Assuming your current role is at CO or Equivalent moving up to EO you can keep certain allowances under certain conditions, How long you have been receiving them ect.
    If you want to PM me i can probably elaborate more.

facade wrote: »
    I am in the same boat.

I expect to drop wages if I accept an EO position.

I am trying to look on the bright side that I will eventually catch up, but its hard.

However this is what I'm assuming and have had no confirmation from PAS or my office that this is how it will be.

You could contact PAS for confirmation. And it's not helpful but you could wait the 2 years and reapply. You did so well this time you're likely to do well next time.

Its horrible isnt it! I was offered an internal promotion yesterday to stay in customs as an EO, my place got reached on the panel. So i could accept that and get an increase in wage, but it would mean changing to a 24.7 shift contract which i did not want and kind of hoped to leave customs tbh. Revenue also have an internal EO promotion that i applied for and just waiting on interview date, but i cant pin hopes on it. I got lucky in that PAS interview i think :)

I couldn't handle dropping, it would mean 6 or 7 grand drop and a few years to catch up.

Ive contacted PAS and my own HR department to get clarity, if I hear anything back ill let you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Grey AP

Cheers!

If you are a civil or public servant, this is a promotion and DPER circular 8-2019 for pay on promotion applies (extract below). Essentially, it doesn't matter whether it's promotion from an open or interdepartmental panel, you can't start on less than your current pay (except where it is above the second LSI for the new grade).

Not sure about allowances, but I would think that if they form part of your pensionable pay, then that should count too. If they aren't pensionable, then probably not. Either way, you should ask your union (assuming you are in one) and take their advice with you to the new job. I've seen a couple of cases where HR didn't think an allowance should be included, but corrected this quickly once they were made aware.

In the long run, it's hard to see that a promotion to EO isn't worthwhile, as you start above your current pay, your pay will keep increasing on the scale and your pension will be better. Also, it would give you a better chance of HEO, again for better pay and pension.

From DPER 8-2019
    A. Pay on promotion from competitions confined to existing civil servants
    1. Starting pay rules
    1.1 On promotion, an officer will be appointed at the minimum point of the new scale unless any of the conditions set out at 1.2 apply.
    1.2 (i) Where the officer's current salary is above the minimum point of the new scale but below the normal maximum, the nearest point above the officer's current salary point plus one increment.
    (ii) Where the officer's current salary is above the normal maximum point of the new scale but below LSI 1, the nearest point above the officer's current salary point (ie LSI 1).
    (iii) Where the officer's current salary is above LSI 1 and below LSI 2 of the new scale, the nearest point above the officer's current salary point (i.e. LSI 2).
    (iv) Where the minimum of the new salary scale is greater than existing pay by an amount less than the first increment on the new scale, the officer may enter the new scale at the minimum plus one increment.
    1.3 The date of promotion becomes the officer's incremental date.

B. Application of starting pay rules to officers securing higher posts by way of open competition

3.1 For the avoidance of doubt, it is confirmed that where the appointee to a higher post is a currently serving civil or public servant, the arrangements for officers appointed through confined competition described at Part A above shall apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

Its horrible isnt it! I was offered an internal promotion yesterday to stay in customs as an EO, my place got reached on the panel. So i could accept that and get an increase in wage, but it would mean changing to a 24.7 shift contract which i did not want and kind of hoped to leave customs tbh. Revenue also have an internal EO promotion that i applied for and just waiting on interview date, but i cant pin hopes on it. I got lucky in that PAS interview i think :)

I couldn't handle dropping, it would mean 6 or 7 grand drop and a few years to catch up.

Ive contacted PAS and my own HR department to get clarity, if I hear anything back ill let you know :)

Brilliant thank you, I'd be interested to hear.

I wasnt going to ask about it until offered a placement.

Congrats on the internal promotion too... you should start giving interview tips out ðŸ˜

Grey AP wrote: »
    If you are a civil or public servant, this is a promotion and DPER circular 8-2019 for pay on promotion applies (extract below). Essentially, it doesn't matter whether it's promotion from an open or interdepartmental panel, you can't start on less than your current pay (except where it is above the second LSI for the new grade).

Not sure about allowances, but I would think that if they form part of your pensionable pay, then that should count too. If they aren't pensionable, then probably not. Either way, you should ask your union (assuming you are in one) and take their advice with you to the new job. I've seen a couple of cases where HR didn't think an allowance should be included, but corrected this quickly once they were made aware.

In the long run, it's hard to see that a promotion to EO isn't worthwhile, as you start above your current pay, your pay will keep increasing on the scale and your pension will be better. Also, it would give you a better chance of HEO, again for better pay and pension.

From DPER 8-2019
    A. Pay on promotion from competitions confined to existing civil servants
    1. Starting pay rules
    1.1 On promotion, an officer will be appointed at the minimum point of the new scale unless any of the conditions set out at 1.2 apply.
    1.2 (i) Where the officer's current salary is above the minimum point of the new scale but below the normal maximum, the nearest point above the officer's current salary point plus one increment.
    (ii) Where the officer's current salary is above the normal maximum point of the new scale but below LSI 1, the nearest point above the officer's current salary point (ie LSI 1).
    (iii) Where the officer's current salary is above LSI 1 and below LSI 2 of the new scale, the nearest point above the officer's current salary point (i.e. LSI 2).
    (iv) Where the minimum of the new salary scale is greater than existing pay by an amount less than the first increment on the new scale, the officer may enter the new scale at the minimum plus one increment.
    1.3 The date of promotion becomes the officer's incremental date.

B. Application of starting pay rules to officers securing higher posts by way of open competition

3.1 For the avoidance of doubt, it is confirmed that where the appointee to a higher post is a currently serving civil or public servant, the arrangements for officers appointed through confined competition described at Part A above shall apply.

Wow! Thanks a million for that. As far as I know the allowance is pensionable but ill get clarification on that too, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pickysue

Does anyone know what number they’ve reached for Etray in Dublin?

• Advertisement

facade wrote: »
    Brilliant thank you, I'd be interested to hear.

I wasnt going to ask about it until offered a placement.

Congrats on the internal promotion too... you should start giving interview tips out ðŸ˜

Ha thanks, im really not great at interviews though, i think its the experience from customs pushing me over the line!

I will let you know though the outcome.

See post above though, this may apply to you if your allowance is pensionable.

Advertisement