Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Enyaq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Sorry lads but that Rathkeale light up grille is just hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

CoBo55 wrote: »

Have to agree. Prefer the ‘grill’ of the Ariya.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

CoBo55 wrote: »

cost option, unlikely to be specced too often id imagine.

Cyrus wrote: »
    cost option, unlikely to be specced too often id imagine.

I hope not, what were Skoda thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Skoda

enya___getty.jpg?t=1597690763
    q-james-bond-3ccac972-42d1-4923-881e-1e5044f7682-resize-750.jpeg

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dodgerooni

ID4 priced today at €44,000 in Ireland for the 77kWh battery. What do you guys reckon that will leave the Enyaq to be priced at? €40,000??

• Moderators Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

dodgerooni wrote: »
    ID4 priced today at €44,000 in Ireland for the 77kWh battery. What do you guys reckon that will leave the Enyaq to be priced at? €40,000??

Depends on the version. The enyaq 50 (55kWh battery, 340km wltp range) is rumoured to be nicely under 40k.
    Mid range one is a 390km enyaq 60 (62kWh battery) will likely be less than the id4, I'd imagine somewhere over 40k. This would also make me assume the basic model would be a decent bit below 40k.
    Then the top spec enyaq 80... Who knows. Somewhere around the id4 max price, but cheaper.

The enyaq though has poorer spec then the id4. The mid range version for instance is where parking sensors get added! Basic has no parking sensors!! What? It's 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭McGiver

Depends on the version. The enyaq 50 (55kWh battery, 340km wltp range) is rumoured to be nicely under 40k.
    Mid range one is a 390km enyaq 60 (62kWh battery) will likely be less than the id4, I'd imagine somewhere over 40k. This would also make me assume the basic model would be a decent bit below 40k.
    Then the top spec enyaq 80... Who knows. Somewhere around the id4 max price, but cheaper.

The enyaq though has poorer spec then the id4. The mid range version for instance is where parking sensors get added! Basic has no parking sensors!! What? It's 2020!

Depends on the options!

Enyaq 60 with decent options was around €41k last time I did the configurator and estimated the Irish price.

Enyaq 60 starts at 33,450 GBP and Enyaq 80 at 38,950 GBP in the UK.

£38,950 is roughy €43,000. So that would leave it still cheaper than the ID4 (barely) and probably higher spec too. So Enyaq 80 coming in around €43,000. It's still a lot of money for a car all the same, especially when you consider you aren't sure yet on the longevity of the electric cars and the resale value in 3-4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭garo

£38,950 is roughy €43,000. So that would leave it still cheaper than the ID4 (barely) and probably higher spec too. So Enyaq 80 coming in around €43,000. It's still a lot of money for a car all the same, especially when you consider you aren't sure yet on the longevity of the electric cars and the resale value in 3-4 years.

Wut? What questions do you have about the longevity of electric cars? Do you think an electric motor and battery is less reliable than an ICE engine?

Resale value depends on a lot of things. Until now EVs have held up pretty well due to scarcity. But there is simply no reason to believe they will hold value poorer than ICE cars.

Excuse my ignorance, but would a battery not degrade over years and what would the range be of a 5 year old Enyaq 80 for example?? Would it have diminished from 500km to 400km?? Assuming it was driven 30,000km a year. Surely an ICE engine still gives the same range it always had after 5 years, whereas an electric car would have a reduced range?? Or am I wrong/mad??

• Moderators Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Excuse my ignorance, but would a battery not degrade over years and what would the range be of a 5 year old Enyaq 80 for example?? Would it have diminished from 500km to 400km?? Assuming it was driven 30,000km a year. Surely an ICE engine still gives the same range it always had after 5 years, whereas an electric car would have a reduced range?? Or am I wrong/mad??

Not at all. Big fuel companies want you to believe that ev batteries only last 3 years until they've to be replaced and if you hit a speed bump too hard they'll explode. Batteries love to explode it seems (thanks Samsung).

Truth is, any modern electric car battery will have very little degradation over the years. Even early Nissan leaf batteries which really suffered from a lack of knowledge (they somewhat pioneered affordable electric cars) have about 70% of their range remaining. Technology has come a long way since then, even in such a short period of time.

Not saying there's no decreased range over time, but it will be no different than one guy saying they can get 800km on a tank and another saying they get 700km. Driving style will affect your range far more than battery degradation.

The closest example I've looked at is my own car. A well known EV YouTuber drove a Hyundai ioniq with 92km on the clock and suggested it had 8% degradation (by my calculations it was more like 5%).

Have a read of this https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/
    Average decline across all vehicles, including the LEaf Gen 1 Black_Knight mentioned, was 2.3% per year. It would take over 10 years for the 400km range to be reduced to 300km. Active cooling will make that even longer.

Also, https://www.chargedfuture.com/electric-car-battery-degradation/
    Per Electrek, in a sample of only 350 Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles, those specific vehicles still had 90% State of Health (SOH) after 150,000 miles.

We are blessed with relatively mild weather in Ireland so batteries here last even longer than the US where these numbers come from. Heat is one of the biggest factors for battery degradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I’m a big fan of latest tech and EVs, but Tesla’s battery day really killed EV resale value for me. Why would you buy something for 40-50k now and within 3 years Mr Musk is gunna bring out a new battery that goes father, faster, charge quicker and is cheaper. No doubt he’s a genius but a motoring profit strategist he is not. ICE engine development has been fairly stagnant for many years leading to predictable resale value.

Any EV over 5 years old now is worth very little apart from Model S which was ahead of its time. EV depreciation is like smartphone depreciation until they work out a way of retro-upgrading batteries at a realistic cost. Would love to know other people’s thoughts?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The announcements made by Tesla on battery day are pretty ho hum compared to the automotive battery industry at large. There wasn't anything revolutionary there that we haven't seen from other battery suppliers.
    You should judge the value of car such as the Enyaq on it's current capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There will always be something new and better around the corner. If you wait for that, you wait forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭markpb

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Why would you buy something for 40-50k now and within 3 years Mr Musk is gunna bring out a new battery that goes father, faster, charge quicker and is cheaper.

Because he’s repeatedly, consistently and massively wrong when it comes to development deadlines?

I’m a big fan of latest tech and EVs, but Tesla’s battery day really killed EV resale value for me. Why would you buy something for 40-50k now and within 3 years Mr Musk is gunna bring out a new battery that goes father, faster, charge quicker and is cheaper. No doubt he’s a genius but a motoring profit strategist he is not. ICE engine development has been fairly stagnant for many years leading to predictable resale value.

Any EV over 5 years old now is worth very little apart from Model S which was ahead of its time. EV depreciation is like smartphone depreciation until they work out a way of retro-upgrading batteries at a realistic cost. Would love to know other people’s thoughts?

Obviously nobody has bought a new smartphone in the last 10 years because they would become obsolete in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

garo wrote: »
    Obviously nobody has bought a new smartphone in the last 10 years because they would become obsolete in 3 years.

Big difference in price between a car and a phone.

I get the point - and the point has been mentioned already - if you are holding off on purchasing because new technology is coming ... You will never purchase.

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    There will always be something new and better around the corner. If you wait for that, you wait forever.

It’s like the old saying, when’s the best time to buy a new laptop? This time next year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Big difference in price between a car and a phone.

I get the point - and the point has been mentioned already - if you are holding off on purchasing because new technology is coming ... You will never purchase.

Yes and this is my problem. Phone purchase is a 500-1000 issue, not a 40-50k gamble. I guess with PCP you are taking away the depreciation risk due to the GFMV, funnily enough Tesla don’t offer PCP here, but they do in the UK. In fairness without the early adopters we would get no technological progression. Flies in the face of the ecodrive towards EV though.

On another note, Dublin is flooded with iD3 currently. Hopefully the Enyaq will be as plentiful in supply. Hope also that they don’t install a half-baked infotainment system into the founders version like the iD3 1st.

But it isn’t a gamble. At least no more than buying an ICE car. You think if batteries get radically cheaper and better, any ICE car will hold it’s value better? They are going to get decimated in comparison to the current generation of EVS because the only thing ICE cars have going for them is range before refuelling and speed of refuelling. With bigger cheaper batteries those will stop being advantages. Why would anyone want an expensive to run car then?

I guess with PCP you are taking away the depreciation risk due to the GFMV,

Yes and No, depends on the dealer/finance company. Sometimes PCP is planned out with high monthly payments and low GFMV meaning you're paying much more than you should and paying most of the depreciation, this is not how PCP is meant to be unless you're driving high mileage then it makes sense that you're paying the brunt of the cost. PCP is really designed for the lower mileage driver.

I'm at the point now where PCP makes much less sense due to higher mileage but this means I can either save up for a higher deposit or pay off over 5 years and trade in 3 years if I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭KCross

... Hope also that they don’t install a half-baked infotainment system into the founders version like the iD3 1st.

I'd imagine VAG share the software of the MEB platform across their brands but the software issues are supposed to be resolved early next year so it should get there in time for Enyaq production. I think everyone will be waiting for that update with interest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Sometimes PCP is planned out with high monthly payments and low GFMV meaning you're paying much more than you should and paying most of the depreciation, this is not how PCP is meant to be unless you're driving high mileage then it makes sense that you're paying the brunt of the cost. PCP is really designed for the lower mileage driver.

This has been discussed with you many times recently, it is exactly how PCP is meant to work. As to mileage, any PCP plan I've entered into has options for 15,000km and 20,000km. This should cover the average either Irish driver with their 17,000km mileage.

I wonder if Skoda will do the same as VW and offer something similar to the ID.Plan

Have a read of this https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/
    Average decline across all vehicles, including the LEaf Gen 1 Black_Knight mentioned, was 2.3% per year. It would take over 10 years for the 400km range to be reduced to 300km. Active cooling will make that even longer.

Also, https://www.chargedfuture.com/electric-car-battery-degradation/
    Per Electrek, in a sample of only 350 Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles, those specific vehicles still had 90% State of Health (SOH) after 150,000 miles.

We are blessed with relatively mild weather in Ireland so batteries here last even longer than the US where these numbers come from. Heat is one of the biggest factors for battery degradation.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I found it interesting to see that batteries actually degrade faster in a very hot climate.
    Safe to say an EV will keep its resale value so, unless the general price of producing a batter reduces over the next few years, causing new cars to decrease in price.
    I once read that initially in 2015 , 50% of the cost of an EV was the battery cost, reducing to 25% in 2020 and down to as little as 15% in 2025? Is there any truth to this, does anyone know??

Thanks, that is very helpful. I found it interesting to see that batteries actually degrade faster in a very hot climate.
    Safe to say an EV will keep its resale value so, unless the general price of producing a batter reduces over the next few years, causing new cars to decrease in price.
    I once read that initially in 2015 , 50% of the cost of an EV was the battery cost, reducing to 25% in 2020 and down to as little as 15% in 2025? Is there any truth to this, does anyone know??

Yes Li-ion battery pack prices has been decreasing at ~20% per annum for the past decade. See this: https://about.bnef.com/blog/behind-scenes-take-lithium-ion-battery-prices/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Battery prices are going down but the financial gains are being swallowed up by larger batteries so EV's have not been getting cheaper but the range is significantly improving.

e.g. 2010 Leaf had a 24kWh battery. Latest gen cars tend to have 50-64kWh batteries!

• Advertisement

Yes Li-ion battery pack prices has been decreasing at ~20% per annum for the past decade. See this: https://about.bnef.com/blog/behind-scenes-take-lithium-ion-battery-prices/

Thanks Garo and Kcross too. You boys are really on the ball. However it makes me think that the best time to purchase an electric car is in two/three years time. Maybe this is me thinking that I'll wait for the next best thing and as said above, it's a never ending circle.
    I just feel if I buy the enyaq 80 next year with a 500k range for €43,000, and then in 2-3 years time there's a model with 800k range and at a cheaper price, say €35,000, well then at that stage, what would my Enyaq be worth??

Advertisement