Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 PUP - Self-Employed only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Damn 8 weeks!! That's not good. Between this and the 14 weeks I had to battle to get the JS self employed payment at the beginning, I'm really getting the feeling that the self employed are being royally shafted. It's very frustrating as I had clearly outlined several times that mistakes had been made while calculating my 2018 income and flagged this when applying for the covid payment. These warnings were duly ignored and everyone in the dept tells you about the "backlog" and overwhelming numbers. Perhaps if they actually listened to the applicant they wouldn't be wasting resources and time in the first place. Sorry, just needed to rant. I'm grateful for the 200 but the unfairness of how we are being treated really upsets me

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

ttoppcat wrote: »
    Damn 8 weeks!! That's not good. Between this and the 14 weeks I had to battle to get the JS self employed payment at the beginning, I'm really getting the feeling that the self employed are being royally shafted. It's very frustrating as I had clearly outlined several times that mistakes had been made while calculating my 2018 income and flagged this when applying for the covid payment. These warnings were duly ignored and everyone in the dept tells you about the "backlog" and overwhelming numbers. Perhaps if they actually listened to the applicant they wouldn't be wasting resources and time in the first place. Sorry, just needed to rant. I'm grateful for the 200 but the unfairness of how we are being treated really upsets me

Whatever about over whelming numbers originally numbers have come way down and there's no reasonable excuse to justify delays and lack of communication. On another thread, SW were quick to stop payments to people who had claimed credits prior to lockdown, absolutely no warning, a mistake was accepted pretty quickly and payments restored fully within a few days.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

You're right, there is no excuse at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cd76

Hello,

- I am self employed (employee of my own limited company) and applied for the PUP payment on July 1st.
    - Like other Self employed people I got rejected on the basis of apparently not having the correct PRSI contributions.
    - I checked all of this and I had the relevant contributions. I appealed to PUPReRate@welfare.ie and after chasing it via email and on the helpline they confirmed that I have the right PRSI contributions and I was eligible and should not have been refused.
    - Weekly payments of €350 started to come through from August 4th and they said I would get the ~5 weeks missing back payments covering Jul 1st to Aug 4th. As of Sept 11th I am still waiting.
    - Since then I have been chasing the missing payments. I have emailed PUPReRate@welfare.ie and called the helpline twice. Not getting any response from the emails but on the phone they have said back payments will take "some time".
    - Today I called them and they said they don't know how long and that they were going to do it in Aug. But, they added now that the scheme has been extended to April '21 that it may not happen until after that date.

Is anyone else waiting on back payments and just wondering if there is an alternative route I can go to get the ~€1500 I am due ? I really don't want to wait until May '21 !

cd76 wrote: »
    Hello,

- I am self employed (employee of my own limited company) and applied for the PUP payment on July 1st.
    - Like other Self employed people I got rejected on the basis of apparently not having the correct PRSI contributions.
    - I checked all of this and I had the relevant contributions. I appealed to PUPReRate@welfare.ie and after chasing it via email and on the helpline they confirmed that I have the right PRSI contributions and I was eligible and should not have been refused.
    - Weekly payments of €350 started to come through from August 4th and they said I would get the ~5 weeks missing back payments covering Jul 1st to Aug 4th. As of Sept 11th I am still waiting.
    - Since then I have been chasing the missing payments. I have emailed PUPReRate@welfare.ie and called the helpline twice. Not getting any response from the emails but on the phone they have said back payments will take "some time".
    - Today I called them and they said they don't know how long and that they were going to do it in Aug. But, they added now that the scheme has been extended to April '21 that it may not happen until after that date.

Is anyone else waiting on back payments and just wondering if there is an alternative route I can go to get the ~€1500 I am due ? I really don't want to wait until May '21 !

Glad you were able to get approval, sadly, numerous reports on inordinate delays on back payments owed, some going back as long as March, also disgraceful delays in appeals on payment reductions, look back on some posts here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭64869923

Eight weeks and waiting. Tried to call DEASP in Waterford, was told they are not accepting phonecalls.

As per Government Ombudsman, you have to exhaust all avenues of appeals (or an excessive delay) before they will get involved. Emails don't seem to hold much water with them, so

You need to send a formal appeal in writing to:

Covid 19 Unemployment Payments Appeals
    PO Box 12896
    Dublin 1

If you don't get any satisfaction there, then you can get the Ombudsman involved.

I wrote in three weeks ago and will be referring it back to the Ombudsman in a few days

I received an email, literally one day short of nine weeks, reinstating the higher rate and stating that the arrears would be paid. From what I have seen they informed those who were not going to get the higher rate and then started on those likely to be rerated. So if you haven't heard anything your chances of being rerated are decent.

Also, I was in contact with the DEASP and was told that the team dealing with it have been cut down to nothing and there are only a few souls dealing with a huge amount of claims and attached documentation.

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Toptips1

Just letting people know I got all my arrears for been placed wrongly on reduced rate paid today, I didnt get any email or notification.

Toptips1 wrote: »
    Just letting people know I got all my arrears for been placed wrongly on reduced rate paid today, I didnt get any email or notification.

Fantastic, delighted for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I don't know if it has been brought up on this thread already but is anybody waiting on the PUPRerate? My problems are of my own making as despite paying my 2018 tax via DD I did not put my return through my return for a variety of reasons until July. Rev said they would be unsure how long before the confirmation appeared on Welfare. I've sent my return to PUP rerate but waiting months now for reply. Welfare and DEASP say nothing they can do as PUPRerate only have email. Told if i'm stuck for money I should go on Jobseekers but I will not be able to claim any arrears off Covid not to mention the money I could have made had I went on Jobseekers months ago. My current plan is to sit down, twiddle my thumbs and wait as I finacially bleed to death.

• Advertisement

I don't know if it has been brought up on this thread already but is anybody waiting on the PUPRerate? My problems are of my own making as despite paying my 2018 tax via DD I did not put my return through my return for a variety of reasons until July. Rev said they would be unsure how long before the confirmation appeared on Welfare. I've sent my return to PUP rerate but waiting months now for reply. Welfare and DEASP say nothing they can do as PUPRerate only have email. Told if i'm stuck for money I should go on Jobseekers but I will not be able to claim any arrears off Covid not to mention the money I could have made had I went on Jobseekers months ago. My current plan is to sit down, twiddle my thumbs and wait as I finacially bleed to death.

Some have had results but it seems to be an adhoc, pick a number out of a hat approach. There appears no obvious logical approach as to how these issues are being dealt with and whilst I know not helpful, it really looks like a waiting game. The excuse of vast numbers being dealt with is worn a little thin by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

After I initially contacted the Ombudsman, I received a reply from their Early Interventions person, advising that I had to put my complaint in writing to:

PO Box 12896
    Dublin 1

Following a reponse, or an unreasonable delay, I was invited to then re-contact the Ombudsman.

I did as requested, and quoted my Ombudsman Case Reference number.

Several days later, I received a message via MyWelfare, telling me that there had been a review of all PUP recipients in the State, and that they were now giving me the best possible deal and lodging €1470 to my bank account (which has appeared).

I initially contacted PUPRerate on 7 July, and it is now nearly 7 October, so 4 months to get action.

I wasn't stuck for the money, but others on here are.
    My advice is to put your appeal in writing to the address given above at the earliest opportunity. Wait three weeks, then contact the Ombudsman.
    Their forms and website are simple to follow. If they get involved, I would suspect your case will go the top of the pile, and they will be involved in any subsequent haggling if you are not happy with the result.

Best of luck to anyone else chasing back money

After I initially contacted the Ombudsman, I received a reply from their Early Interventions person, advising that I had to put my complaint in writing to:

PO Box 12896
    Dublin 1

Following a reponse, or an unreasonable delay, I was invited to then re-contact the Ombudsman.

I did as requested, and quoted my Ombudsman Case Reference number.

Several days later, I received a message via MyWelfare, telling me that there had been a review of all PUP recipients in the State, and that they were now giving me the best possible deal and lodging €1470 to my bank account (which has appeared).

I initially contacted PUPRerate on 7 July, and it is now nearly 7 October, so 4 months to get action.

I wasn't stuck for the money, but others on here are.
    My advice is to put your appeal in writing to the address given above at the earliest opportunity. Wait three weeks, then contact the Ombudsman.
    Their forms and website are simple to follow. If they get involved, I would suspect your case will go the top of the pile, and they will be involved in any subsequent haggling if you are not happy with the result.

Best of luck to anyone else chasing back money

Well done for sticking with this, absolutely disgraceful any government department allowed to behave in this shoddy manner and astonishing not a mention of it in various Dail debates or by various politicians and Journalists covering the entire PUP story. But congratulations to you, delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Has anyone whose PUP rate was reduced in July successfully appealed and had their rate increased based upon their 2019 tax return?

I’ll be submitting my 2019 return this month.

just wondering if there paying out the people who didn't get there payment straight away had to wait a week or two ,

who do you appeal to for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭theglobe

I received a back payment last week even tho I have been signed off the pandemic payment for a few months. Is everyone receiving a back payment based on the new rates?

is this thread closed ill try again :

just wondering if there paying out the people who didn't get there payment straight away had to wait a week or two ,

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Still haven't got the payment but apply for it every week. I notice that the email address for a review is has changed from puprerate@welfare.ie to pupearningscheck@welfare.ie . I was talking to someone in the DEASP and she said she had no idea about the email change. I'm wondering if they might be doing something to address the backlogs.

torrevieja wrote: »
    is this thread closed ill try again :

As mentioned previously, they seem to be putting this particular issue on the long finger and it's even been suggested people won't get these payments until PUP ends, There's been no other updates I'm aware of.

Still haven't got the payment but apply for it every week. I notice that the email address for a review is has changed from puprerate@welfare.ie to pupearningscheck@welfare.ie . I was talking to someone in the DEASP and she said she had no idea about the email change. I'm wondering if they might be doing something to address the backlogs.

What are you referring too? New PUP claim or appealing rate reduction? If its rate reduction, some previous posts suggest some progress but only after ombudsman intervention, check back on previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

I'm on this same boat, Got it reduced to 250€ as they took into account 2018 tax returns, my fault my accountant only submitted 2019 returns on 16th of September. What I've done so far:

- Sent a registered letter with 2019 tax returns
    - Phoned Covid helpline was informed there's a backlog
    - Was given the email address to appeal the decision and sent the digital tax returns to this email Email: PUPRerate@welfare.ie
    - Sent a second email to PUPRerate@welfare.ie with the 2019 tax returns this week

Any idea whom I could go to next to get this revised? those 50€ make a huge difference sadly :S

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jkp

I've been waiting 6 weeks now since first contacting them via email.
    Have sent 1 follow up since. Still no reply as of yet.

If you've sent an appeal by registered post, and enough time has passed, you can probably contact the ombudsman about it.
    There's a post earlier in the thread (#193) detailing that process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

jkp wrote: »
    I've been waiting 6 weeks now since first contacting them via email.
    Have sent 1 follow up since. Still no reply as of yet.

If you've sent an appeal by registered post, and enough time has passed, you can probably contact the ombudsman about it.
    There's a post earlier in the thread (#193) detailing that process.

Thanks next step is that one then!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

If one has been on pup since the lick down then comes of it for few weeks work, then there's another lockdown will they be reinstated on to it again or just have to go on the dole.

kingbhome wrote: »
    If one has been on pup since the lick down then comes of it for few weeks work, then there's another lockdown will they be reinstated on to it again or just have to go on the dole.

(Lick) down aside :) currently claimants who've signed off but had to claim again, can do so, this is up to years end, I presume the same is the case for Self Employed. I also believe self employed can actually earn some income without it affecting their claim so that might be a better option, depending what work your referring too, other may advise accordingly. But yes to the main question.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Dempo1 wrote: »
    (Lick) down aside :) currently claimants who've signed off but had to claim again, can do so, this is up to years end, I presume the same is the case for Self Employed. I also believe self employed can actually earn some income without it affecting their claim so that might be a better option, depending what work your referring too, other may advise accordingly. But yes to the main question.

Wish it was a lick down instead of a kick down haha.

How much can they earn while still claiming?

kingbhome wrote: »
    Wish it was a lick down instead of a kick down haha.

How much can they earn while still claiming?

:) I'm not entirely sure, as per usual this is a vague area, the Department say, one of jobs, odd jobs etc. Maybe others on this thread have experience of this or perhaps look at the criteria for PUP & self employed on the SW site. Ideally if you could avoid having to close and restart claim would be best, but do check, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Has anyone self employed who left the PUP payment and then needed to go back on it after work dried up again successfully got back onto the payment ?

Was there much of a waiting time second time around if so ?

Thanks

Doing my form 11, paying preliminary tax for 2020, am I right in saying the PUP is taxable income and I should calculate my income for this year based on that plus the weeks up to March 20th when I stopped working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

Juwwi wrote: »
    Has anyone self employed who left the PUP payment and then needed to go back on it after work dried up again successfully got back onto the payment ?

Was there much of a waiting time second time around if so ?

Thanks

Returned to work (self-employed) for a few weeks. Level 3 restrictions prevent me from travelling to work outside the County, so I am off the road again.

Re-applied for the PUP on October 5th, via MyWelfare.ie as instructed.
    Received an email from DEASP on 12th October:

"We have reviewed your application for Covid Pandemic Unemployment Payment.
    Our review of your application shows that:

The Department does not have any recent record of PRSI contributions paid by you at the following Classes: A/E/H/P/S.

As a result, we cannot make a decision on your claim at this time for the following reasons:

1. We cannot verify if you were in employment before claiming the Covid Pandemic Unemployment Payment.

2. We cannot determine the rate of payment which should apply to your claim.

Because of this, it is not possible to make any payments to you."

Having just closed my original PUP claim, including a lengthy battle to obtain the higher rate, it now appears that DEASP have no record of all my paperwork from the original claim.

You couldn't make this up

Advertisement