Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 PUP - Self-Employed only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

How long is the back pay taking to come? I’m assuming everyone is getting it backdated to when they applied. Surely it would be Less work for them to pay it when they make The first payment

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

murphf wrote: »
    How long is the back pay taking to come? I’m assuming everyone is getting it backdated to when they applied. Surely it would be Less work for them to pay it when they make The first payment

If life was only that simple, read back on this thread, basically months if it's even being processed at all I'm afraid.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pickock

My sales collapsed since pandemic so dont get any income. Is the commission that I get on business done before covid recognised as income for pup purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

logic? nah! still waiting for a month backpayment since March...

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Has anyone actually been able to get through to 1890800024 ??? Three days trying ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sandra81

sharkman wrote: »
    Has anyone actually been able to get through to 1890800024 ??? Three days trying ...
    Yes, I did get through to this number for the income support helpline last week. I tried calling a few days in a row. I was on hold for about half an hour each time and I just gave up but then someone actually answered, I was in shock. I was calling as I had reapplied for the PUP on 05 Oct 20 (after previously receiving it from Apr to Jul before my business got going again in Aug) and I received the usual email about them not having any recent PRSI record for me. I emailed my notice of tax assessment for 2019 to the PUPearningscheck email address. The lady said that they are 4 to 6 weeks behind and that I should get a response soon. I actually got the €203 into my account this week. I thought that I might get the few weeks of arrears but unfortunately not. She did say that arrears will be paid in 2021 but I won't hold my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

For anyone else awaiting a review I've been advised they are currently up to the 13/10/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Hi all. I am self-employed. Last Day worked was 22/10 and applied for the PUP that evening.
    As it was a Thursday I knew I was too late for that week, so I was expecting my first payment to arrive in my account this morning.
    Nothing arrived so I rang the PUP helpline. After only 15 minutes I got through and the Girl informed me that there was a 'stop' on my claim.
    She says that SIU (Special Investigations Unit) put a stop on my claim on 23/10, and all I can do is email them and query the stop.

I am not particularly concerned about an investigation as I did not work after submitting my Claim (same for last March during the 1st Lock-down).
    Just wondering has anybody else had a similar experience.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Hi all. I am self-employed. Last Day worked was 22/10 and applied for the PUP that evening.
    As it was a Thursday I knew I was too late for that week, so I was expecting my first payment to arrive in my account this morning.
    Nothing arrived so I rang the PUP helpline. After only 15 minutes I got through and the Girl informed me that there was a 'stop' on my claim.
    She says that SIU (Special Investigations Unit) put a stop on my claim on 23/10, and all I can do is email them and query the stop.

I am not particularly concerned about an investigation as I did not work after submitting my Claim (same for last March during the 1st Lock-down).
    Just wondering has anybody else had a similar experience.

Special investigations unit normally only deal with existing claims so I'm surprised at this, they generally deal with fraudulent claims and normally only after a period of investigation so this is really strange to be honest. If there was an issue with your claim, you'd expect either a decline or more information required so be be honest, I would be quite alarmed at this.

Just an update on my own claim. I received the lower rate payment this morning this was because my prsi class s payment was updated on the my welfare system. This took four weeks from when i submitted my tax return for 2019. This might be of some benefit to other self employed people in this thread either looking for payment approval or a change in rate.
    even if you have submitted your 2019 tax return it could take up to 6 weeks before the prsi payment is updated on social welfare system. I sent a registered letter to the covid unemployment team explaining this with my documentation as i have twelve weeks outstanding payments. I have yet to hear a reply yet but am aware that there is a big issue with back payments so i will wait in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

I posted a thread last night as didn't realise this thread existed - basically at the start I got the 350 then everyone was cut to the 300 - then it went back up and I waited and sadly mine has not increased I am still on 300. If the deadline for assessment for Self Employed is Dec surely they cant of expected everyone to of done their tax returns - I always file them late and if anything I thought they could of easily looked at 2018 to see my earnings. If I am going to be back dated that's great but judging from this long thread there does not seem to be much joy - is 2020 going to get any worse or 2021 for that matter. I know 300 is allot to someone who isn't earning but when you are on the 350 its just covering the bills and when your salary is allot more it is pretty depressing not being able to do much with the money. I honestly haven't a clue where the money is going to come from for my tax return - I cant borrow as the pup payment is not enough to give me a loan - any money I had was spent on my business and I didn't look at 2020 and the start of March my business just being closed up and not being able to work. I did email the email address that as given in this thread but haven't heard anything as of yet - I am sure they will probably say submit your 2019 returns so I will have to get that all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jkp

Update:
    7th July - Rate dropped from 350 to 203.
    25th August - 2019 Tax Return(form11) submitted to the puprerate@welfare.ie with a request for a rerate.
    2nd November - Rate increased from 203 to 300 (this is correct based on the current rates and my income).

That's 10 weeks exactly from first contact, with all necessary info submitted, to payment rerate.
    I received no response to my emails however. And as of yet, no arrears for the weeks incorrectly on the lower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pickneary

Has anyone heard that the Ombusdman has supposed to have overturned the decision and allowing the Capital Allowance be added back on, to Schedule. D. (Net )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 noconnecton

pickneary wrote: »
    Has anyone heard that the Ombusdman has supposed to have overturned the decision and allowing the Capital Allowance be added back on, to Schedule. D. (Net )

Anyone?

Oige1981 wrote: »
    I posted a thread last night as didn't realise this thread existed - basically at the start I got the 350 then everyone was cut to the 300 - then it went back up and I waited and sadly mine has not increased I am still on 300. If the deadline for assessment for Self Employed is Dec surely they cant of expected everyone to of done their tax returns - I always file them late and if anything I thought they could of easily looked at 2018 to see my earnings. If I am going to be back dated that's great but judging from this long thread there does not seem to be much joy - is 2020 going to get any worse or 2021 for that matter. I know 300 is allot to someone who isn't earning but when you are on the 350 its just covering the bills and when your salary is allot more it is pretty depressing not being able to do much with the money. I honestly haven't a clue where the money is going to come from for my tax return - I cant borrow as the pup payment is not enough to give me a loan - any money I had was spent on my business and I didn't look at 2020 and the start of March my business just being closed up and not being able to work. I did email the email address that as given in this thread but haven't heard anything as of yet - I am sure they will probably say submit your 2019 returns so I will have to get that all sorted.

You can apply for a payment plan for the taxes , I’m paying monthly now but I believe there is now an option to defer payment for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

pickneary wrote: »

Where did you see this? Someone must have made a complaint and rightly so.

My 2018 Capital Allowances are the difference between remaining on the higher rate and being reduced to the lower rate .

I appealed the decision explaining to the DSP that my overheads remained and still had to be paid for to no avail.

Anyone?

Did you manage to get any more details on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

You can apply for a payment plan for the taxes , I’m paying monthly now but I believe there is now an option to defer payment for a while

Thanks a million - I’m fed up now still have not got the €350 still on the €300 I emailed the email given in this thread at the start and still have not heard anything back. Wondering when my taxes are done will it go up to the €350 or who do I get in contact with it seems self employed it’s very difficult but if you are in a job it’s easier to get the €350 but it’s annoying me no one seems to respond to emails and give us the rate we are due.I definitely will be paying off in instalments for the tax.

Hi all,

Just to say I got the rerate today to the correct amount, That's exactly 2 months as I had sent all the info on the days before the rerate was made on the 16th of September. I am glad this was done, it's only 50€ but makes a world of difference atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jkp

Vieira82 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just to say I got the rerate today to the correct amount, That's exactly 2 months as I had sent all the info on the days before the rerate was made on the 16th of September. I am glad this was done, it's only 50€ but makes a world of difference atm!

Did you get any arrears paid when you were rerated? Did you get a response from them at all?

• Advertisement

jkp wrote: »
    Did you get any arrears paid when you were rerated? Did you get a response from them at all?

nothing and nothing i'm afraid... theoretically I'm still waiting for arrears dating back to April...

Just a quick update on my own claim. I got an email today from the pup rerate team saying that my rate has being increased to €250 which is correct. It stated arrears will be paid in due course. I sent in my documents to the pup rerate team on the 8 September and enclosed written documents by registered post to the Covid unemployment appeals on the 8 October.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭64869923

jkp wrote: »
    nothing and nothing i'm afraid... theoretically I'm still waiting for arrears dating back to April...

Hopefully it's different for anyone following but I was rerated, no arrears were included. If you want look through the thread and you'll see my story and rough dates for when I submitted my rerate claim.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I finally got a reply, although I’m back on payment three weeks. It included “ Any arrears due will issue in the near future. We have no specific date at this time.

Kind Regards,”

We live in hope .

sharkman wrote: »
    I finally got a reply, although I’m back on payment three weeks. It included “ Any arrears due will issue in the near future. We have no specific date at this time.

Kind Regards,”

We live in hope .

I rang again about my arrears last week, she told me they should be paid by the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

Was on PUP full rate (€350), downrated to €203 on 7 July 2020, submitted all paperwork.
    After 17 week saga (details in previous posts), re-instated at €350 per week and arrears paid.
    Came off PUP. returned to work for c. 6 weeks, had to stop work due to Level 5 restrictions.
    Re-applied for PUP, received a decision in 2 days, saying they had no records of PRSI payments therefore I was entitled to nothing.

Immediately sent everything in to PUPrerate email address, and in paper form to:

COVID 19 Unemployment Payments
    PO Box 12896
    Dublin 1

7 weeks later, I rang 1890 800024

Got through immediately, spoke to a human, explained that I was entitled to full rate (I'd already won an appeal), and had zero income for 7 weeks.
    I was given another email address -

pupearningscheck@welfare.ie

and instructed to email all my documents to that address. Lady said she would flag my case and a Supervisor would be in touch within a week.

Received a telephone call from a Supervisor? yesterday.

As and from 1 December, I am to receive full rate of PUP, supervisor also offered to get Community Welfare officer involved if was in a bad way.

I gather that there have been a lot of staff drafted in to cope with backlog. It is all computerised, various computer systems (e.g. PRSI and Social Welfare) were never intended to talk to each other. Priority is to get payments up and running.
    I asked about Arrears (7 x €350), and was told there had been a system crash/failure when they tried to pay some arrears, so that seems to be on pause.

I asked for a note to be put on my file that I will be unable to finalise Tax returns for 2020 until these arrears are paid, i.e. please don't tell me in March 2021 that I am ineligible for PUP as my X,Y, Z is not in order.

To emphasise it again, send your paperwork to pupearningscheck@welfare.ie and then follow up with a phonecall to 1890 800024

Was on PUP full rate (€350), downrated to €203 on 7 July 2020, submitted all paperwork.
    After 17 week saga (details in previous posts), re-instated at €350 per week and arrears paid.
    Came off PUP. returned to work for c. 6 weeks, had to stop work due to Level 5 restrictions.
    Re-applied for PUP, received a decision in 2 days, saying they had no records of PRSI payments therefore I was entitled to nothing.

Immediately sent everything in to PUPrerate email address, and in paper form to:

COVID 19 Unemployment Payments
    PO Box 12896
    Dublin 1

7 weeks later, I rang 1890 800024

Got through immediately, spoke to a human, explained that I was entitled to full rate (I'd already won an appeal), and had zero income for 7 weeks.
    I was given another email address -

pupearningscheck@welfare.ie

and instructed to email all my documents to that address. Lady said she would flag my case and a Supervisor would be in touch within a week.

Received a telephone call from a Supervisor? yesterday.

As and from 1 December, I am to receive full rate of PUP, supervisor also offered to get Community Welfare officer involved if was in a bad way.

I gather that there have been a lot of staff drafted in to cope with backlog. It is all computerised, various computer systems (e.g. PRSI and Social Welfare) were never intended to talk to each other. Priority is to get payments up and running.
    I asked about Arrears (7 x €350), and was told there had been a system crash/failure when they tried to pay some arrears, so that seems to be on pause.

I asked for a note to be put on my file that I will be unable to finalise Tax returns for 2020 until these arrears are paid, i.e. please don't tell me in March 2021 that I am ineligible for PUP as my X,Y, Z is not in order.

To emphasise it again, send your paperwork to pupearningscheck@welfare.ie and then follow up with a phonecall to 1890 800024

Just beyond shocking, I've lost count of the amount of self employed who signed off and when they needed to reapply, all their records, history, application data mysteriously vanishes, it's just an extraordinary state of affairs and has been going on for months. Its just beggar's belief data is not apparently retained or easy to access in this day and age.

The crashing excuse doesn't warrent a comment, there's so many different stories it would put JK Rowling to shame. I'd be very, very sceptical re anyone seeing arrears sorted by years end.

Just hope you'll receive payment as promised.

Do you mean send to this address re proof of PRSI or appealing a rate reduction?

Just announced some Arrears to be paid out on the 8th December along with Christmas Bonus. Recipients need to be on PUP for 17 weeks in total, also anyone signed off on the 1st won't get the bonus.

Great news for those re arrears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just announced some Arrears to be paid out on the 8th December along with Christmas Bonus. Recipients need to be on PUP for 17 weeks in total, also anyone signed off on the 1st won't get the bonus.

Great news for those re arrears

PUP discussed at Dáil Public Accounts Committee yesterday.

It was stressed that only some arrears will be paid on the 8th December.

Also raised was the issue that many will have unused Tax Credits in 2020, with a lump sum of arrears (€3,000 in my case) paid at some stage in 2021, so there is the real prospect of being taxed on arrears.

Advertisement