Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 PUP - Self-Employed only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

PUP discussed at Dáil Public Accounts Committee yesterday.

It was stressed that only some arrears will be paid on the 8th December.

Also raised was the issue that many will have unused Tax Credits in 2020, with a lump sum of arrears (€3,000 in my case) paid at some stage in 2021, so there is the real prospect of being taxed on arrears.

They did dicuss some Arrears will be delayed but I understood it was only those that were on TWSS, EWSS etc due to complexities involved (whatever that means), I'm hoping as it was employer support schemes, it won't affect Self employed getting arrears.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

Dempo1 wrote: »
    They did dicuss some Arrears will be delayed but I understood it was only those that were on TWSS, EWSS etc due to complexities involved (whatever that means), I'm hoping as it was employer support schemes, it won't affect Self employed getting arrears.

I wonder if they will count the weekend we were in arrears and got no payment in the 17 weeks??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Anybody get two Deposits this Week?

I got my normal €250 and the next lodgement was €203 would this be arrears im owed ?

torrevieja wrote: »
    Anybody get two Deposits this Week?

I got my normal €250 and the next lodgement was €203 would this be arrears im owed ?

That's it :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

And the Christmas one!

• Advertisement

beertons wrote: »
    And the Christmas one!

Next week (8th Dec)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

I got €250 and €350.
    Apparently the €350 is arrears from March, but I have no idea what the €250 is.
    Following Appeal, I'm entitled to €350 per week, but signed off PUP for about a month.
    I re-applied for PUP, after 7 weeks of hearing nothing, I rang up and was phoned by a Supervisor.

Luckily, I have left my case with the Ombudsman open, so will forward the entire mess off to them.

I won't be able to use my full Tax Credits for this year, and will be taxed on the Arrears that arrive in 2021.
    And I can foresee that if I sign off and return to PUP in say March 2021, I'll be told that my tax affairs for 2020 aren't up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I got €250 and €350.
    Apparently the €350 is arrears from March, but I have no idea what the €250 is.
    Following Appeal, I'm entitled to €350 per week, but signed off PUP for about a month.
    I re-applied for PUP, after 7 weeks of hearing nothing, I rang up and was phoned by a Supervisor.

Luckily, I have left my case with the Ombudsman open, so will forward the entire mess off to them.

I won't be able to use my full Tax Credits for this year, and will be taxed on the Arrears that arrive in 2021.
    And I can foresee that if I sign off and return to PUP in say March 2021, I'll be told that my tax affairs for 2020 aren't up to date.

id say ur 250 is arrears

Self employed
    Was on €350 full rate (after appeal).
    Signed off PUP, returned to work for a few weeks, Level 5 then imposed.
    Signed back onto PUP, and after 7 weeks, pursued non-payment.

Now receiving PUP, but it is €250 per week. Rang up to query why I was down-rated.

PUP helpline informed me that if you come off PUP, work, then return to PUP, you are assessed on the basis of 2019 earnings, and not on 2018 (which provided me with the higher rate).

i.e. you are assessed as a New Entrant to PUP

gov.ie website (updated 27 November) says the year with the highest earnings is selected, it doesn’t state whether new applicant or returning to PUP

Anyone have insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Can someone explain today’s announcement that the self-employed can earn €960 in an 8 week period without it affecting their PUP?

It’s already at €480 in 4 weeks so how is this news?

• Advertisement

Carnmore wrote: »
    Can someone explain today’s announcement that the self-employed can earn €960 in an 8 week period without it affecting their PUP?

It’s already at €480 in 4 weeks so how is this news?

Basically the initial decision had no statutory approval, it was just a wink and a nod approach, yesterday the cabinet approved it and rounded it off over 8 weeks. It was thought the initial €480 over 4 weeks might cause self employed not to take on one off jobs for fear of going over the agreed amount risking loosing their PUP. I guess they felt one off jobs would generate more than €480. Also agreed, there's only a requirement to inform the department, no requirement to file etc

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Basically the initial decision had no statutory approval, it was just a wink and a nod approach, yesterday the cabinet approved it and rounded it off over 8 weeks.

Does this mean that it was not allowed?
    Also agreed, there's only a requirement to inform the department, no requirement to file etc

Can you explain this?

Thanks in advance

ATC110 wrote: »
    Does this mean that it was not allowed?

Can you explain this?

Thanks in advance

Hi, it was allowed but was a ministerial order rather than part of legislation, basically a temporary arrangement.

Re filing, they've stated all self employed need to do is advise SW of any work they take on. I'm assuming they may at some stage look for invoice copies (just a guess)

Info here, scroll down, latest updates
    https://www.gov.ie/en/news/67e0b4-customer-notices/

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭doc22

Basically the initial decision had no statutory approval, it was just a wink and a nod approach, yesterday the cabinet approved it and rounded it off over 8 weeks. It was thought the initial €480 over 4 weeks might cause self employed not to take on one off jobs for fear of going over the agreed amount risking loosing their PUP. I guess they felt one off jobs would generate more than €480. Also agreed, there's only a requirement to inform the department, no requirement to file etc

I don't really get this logic of increasing the limit to 960 over 8 week. IF you earned 900 as a one off gig I don't see why you'd be entitled to 350 for that week.

This won't be policed anyway all it does is give more cover to those doing undeclared cash jobs. There'll be no appetite from inspectors to chase people for potential over payments when PUP ends.

Re filing, they've stated all self employed need to do is advise SW of any work they take on.

Info here, scroll down, latest updates
    https://www.gov.ie/en/news/67e0b4-customer-notices/

Hi, I've read the press release and there's no mention of advising the DSP of taking on any work rather notifying them if the €960 limit is exceeded.

Re €960/8 weeks vs €480/4 weeks - is this to allow for a scenario where a PUP recipient might get paid work in excess of €480 within a 4 week period and provided the cumulative total is less than the 8 week figure they will be still entitled to PUP?

TIA

Hi, I've read the press release and there's no mention of advising the DSP of taking on any work rather notifying them if the €960 limit is exceeded.

Re €960/8 weeks vs €480/4 weeks - is this to allow for a scenario where a PUP recipient might get paid work in excess of €480 within a 4 week period and provided the cumulative total is less than the 8 week figure they will be still entitled to PUP?

TIA

This bit is in the press release??

There is no formal application process and a self-employed person simply needs to inform the Department if they earn over €960 in any eight week period.

And yes, I presume that's the idea with the €960 over 8 weeks.

I've now submitted my 2019 form 11 and meet the criteria for a higher payment.

Is it better to appeal by email or to the Waterford postal address or both.

And should a calculation of arrears from June to September and September to date be included in the email/letter?

TIA

Anyone?

I've now submitted my 2019 form 11 and meet the criteria for a higher payment.

Is it better to appeal by email or to the Waterford postal address or both.

And should a calculation of arrears from June to September and September to date be included in the email/letter?

TIA

Email everything to puprerate@welfare.ie

I had no response from Waterford office.

Previously received arrears, they will all be calculated for you, probably no harm to include them.

***Once on the Higher Rate, do not come off the PUP unless you absolutely have to***

I returned to work for a few weeks in September, had to stop due to Level 5 restrictions. Re-applied for the PUP, and after yet another 7 week battle, I was told my claim was approved.

Now receiving €250 per week, having previously won an appeal and awarded the €350 rate. I queried why.

If you leave the PUP, your next application is judged solely on 2019 earnings. If you cannot meet the earnings criteria for 2019 alone, stay on the PUP.
    The Guidance on gov.ie states that your most favourable year (2018 or 2019) will be chosen, but this is not the case for new applications.

They have now announced the €960 / 8 week earnings rule, it wasn’t clarified in September, and I would have been fine to remain on PUP. For the sake of earning under €1,000, I’ve probably cost myself €2,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BK255

First time self employed poster here . I reapplied for the covid payment exactly 10 weeks ago today and also emailed my 2018 and 2019 self assessment to them at the same time . I finally received an email back last Thurs (over 9 weeks later ) saying that i needed to reapply on my welfare.ie as soon as possible to receive a payment , I explained back that I already did , twice , at the start of Oct and again around middle of Nov . I havnt received any reply back since . I was hoping I had some kind of payment in my account today but again nothing . They also mentioned on the email that I could sign up in my local Intro office, but I called them weeks ago and they were little or no help . What should I do from here ye think ?

• Advertisement

BK255 wrote: »
    First time self employed poster here . I reapplied for the covid payment exactly 10 weeks ago today and also emailed my 2018 and 2019 self assessment to them at the same time . I finally received an email back last Thurs (over 9 weeks later ) saying that i needed to reapply on my welfare.ie as soon as possible to receive a payment , I explained back that I already did , twice , at the start of Oct and again around middle of Nov . I havnt received any reply back since . I was hoping I had some kind of payment in my account today but again nothing . They also mentioned on the email that I could sign up in my local Intro office, but I called them weeks ago and they were little or no help . What should I do from here ye think ?

After delays of 17 weeks and 7 weeks, I resorted to phoning my local TD’s office, and on request, forwarded all my emailed correspondence, scanned documents etc. to the TD.
    I had a response from welfare.ie within 18 hours.

I hate paying homage to TDs etc. but it was highly effective.

After delays of 17 weeks and 7 weeks, I resorted to phoning my local TD’s office, and on request, forwarded all my emailed correspondence, scanned documents etc. to the TD.
    I had a response from welfare.ie within 18 hours.

I hate paying homage to TDs etc. but it was highly effective.

Thanks for your reply Garry , going to consider doing that for sure . Also what response did you get back and did they respond through email or call you ?

BK255 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Garry , going to consider doing that for sure . Also what response did you get back and did they respond through email or call you ?

I had an email back from a real person, not an Autoreply.
    Apparently the TDs have a hotline to a named individual and don't have to wait 17 weeks for a reply.

The reply wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I now have a decision that (once again) I can appeal.

I had an email back from a real person, not an Autoreply.
    Apparently the TDs have a hotline to a named individual and don't have to wait 17 weeks for a reply.

The reply wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I now have a decision that (once again) I can appeal.

My email was from a real person too last thurs but it took 8/9 weeks for that reply . I responded to the same email later that day explaining that I have already applied twice online ( what he asked me to do ) and my self assessment for 2018/19 were in the emails he just responded to , I’m now wondering will it take another 8/9 weeks for a reply again!

Email everything to puprerate@welfare.ie

I had no response from Waterford office.

Previously received arrears, they will all be calculated for you, probably no harm to include them.

***Once on the Higher Rate, do not come off the PUP unless you absolutely have to***

I returned to work for a few weeks in September, had to stop due to Level 5 restrictions. Re-applied for the PUP, and after yet another 7 week battle, I was told my claim was approved.

Now receiving €250 per week, having previously won an appeal and awarded the €350 rate. I queried why.

If you leave the PUP, your next application is judged solely on 2019 earnings. If you cannot meet the earnings criteria for 2019 alone, stay on the PUP.
    The Guidance on gov.ie states that your most favourable year (2018 or 2019) will be chosen, but this is not the case for new applications.

They have now announced the €960 / 8 week earnings rule, it wasn’t clarified in September, and I would have been fine to remain on PUP. For the sake of earning under €1,000, I’ve probably cost myself €2,500.

Thank you mallowgarry, this is useful to know.

I submitted my 2019 tax return which showed a higher income than 2018 so I could claim a higher payment.

I emailed a copy of the Revenue statement to the PUP rerate team and it was acknowledged the same day.

I asked about higher rate payment arrears since the payment was reduced in June and was informed these will be dealt with next year.

The next payment made was at the correct rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does anyone know if they pay PUP to they backdate it to the time the claim was made ? (October )

The misses only started working this year, only working weekends. as such she earned less than 5k do we can remain As PAYE and declare her income as extra earned income.

However as she only worked in 2020 , PUP have said they have no proof she’s self employed. As we are PAYE she didn’t have to register as self employed.
    We’ve now got revenue to register her and will be chasing up PuP tomorrow. We have already submitted invoices as proof of business.

She never bothered claiming earlier in the year as we didn’t think it’d last. Abs she had planned to big Siri in summer. But know it looks like she’ll be out of work till March.
    We’ve being stuck in a PUP Revenue loop for weeks.

Just say Happy Christmas to all, it's been a tough (almost year). Stay Safe, Stay happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bocking 14

Same to you Dempo1. You’ve been helpful to many posters on this forum including myself. All the best!

• Advertisement

Bocking 14 wrote: »
    Same to you Dempo1. You’ve been helpful to many posters on this forum including myself. All the best!

Keep positive, 2021 will be a better year, stay safe :)

Advertisement