Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

1st year with a Saler put down, I never sold calves easier, just advertised them and all sold from home, got what I asked for them.

Lovely quality,calves easily calved and reared. Bull is quiet as a lamb, has a DBI of 179 and a beef value of 132 and is doing exactly what it said in the tin, bought off a local breeder, maybe I got lucky too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Linked to inflation milk at the 1977 price in Ireland would be equivalent to about 1.80 a litre today.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazzer007

Great feedback, thank you. Was worried the calves might look like they have a jex colouring making them hard to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Kerry2021

As for my Kerry shares I bought them. Like anyone else is entitled to buy shares. I sold them for over €500,000. They were bought into pension funds and the pension fund owners sold them weeks after buying them from me for a 40% tax free profit. That happened because the co-op board would rather see wealthy professionals end up with that money instead of their own shareholders.

You look like you’ve a chip on your shoulder bringing up the fact that I made a lot of money on a good investment I made as if it was a bad thing. Then you resort to name calling.

I stand 100% by what I said. Anyone who can’t make a profit on their farm without EU grants should shut down their business. Simple as that

Post edited by greysides on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭older by the day

The matter is awfully serious, but we are in the hands of providence, without a possibility of averting the catastrophe if it is to happen. We can only wait the result. Trevelyan wrote that during the famines.

Calling for the end of payments to small family farms is worse than that. Rural Ireland is in crisis. 3 or 4 children joining the national school next year, where their used to be 20. A party in the local every Saturday night wishing farewell to young people immigrating. And you want to take payments off of part-time farmers and small dairy farmers.

I give up, no point arguing, if you can't understand that we should be giving more help to smaller farmers and young people in rural Ireland, instead of wishing them away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

What

Post edited by 148multi on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Think it was 47% of average income in 1970 was spent on food, with cheap food more money available to be spent on service industry and cars,phones,white goods and holidays creating more jobs or that's the thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What about a few years down the line in your world when the lad now with 500 cows is going wallop?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazzer007

Mostly Friesian, quarter are jex and some Fleckveigh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

But the thing is the payments are increasing not ending up in farmers pockets. A huge amount are being passed on in rental agreements and unfortunately most payments associated with beef end up in larry s pockets.at the very minimum there should be is new recent reference years to somehow reflect the people that are active in the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

That has been the trend in the US which is further down this road to ruin then the EU in terms of shrinking farmer numbers(now only a fraction of the EU in terms of numbers despite much bigger agri base) etc. As it is they are now burning nearly half their corn crop via the biofuel scam to put a floor under crop prices. They also have their own version of CAP which is also dysfunctional in many ways in its failure to stem the flight from the industry. Similar trends emerging in Asia in terms of rice and other Agri commodities

In such a hypothetical scenario if anyone couldn’t make money out of their farm without the grant money then so be it.

I think most dairy farmers could pretty easily live without the SFP. I don’t think it remotely would make or break them. The flip side of the SFP being gone is that it would become much easier and cheaper to rent land. I am of the belief it would be good for dairy farmers in the long run. Sure tillage and dry cattle would be finished overnight. It would be dairying, forestry or solar panels for land.

Just edited to say that I think it’s the big beef barons that benefit the most from the single farm payments. By and large it enables them to pay terrible prices for beef in their factories

"First they came for...."

Tbh your attitude is misguided as it seems to me that the basis for all your arguments is monetary. Money was invented so that the powerful could take property from the weak and become wealthy with the least work, and this is still the main driver of how that world is structured.

Dairying will not survive on its own without tillage or beef. Poor as though the relationship can be sometimes, without the support and connection to the whole farming community and culture. Dairy farming on its own will not work in this country. It will be gone in a generation as the industrial food powers will use the vegan/welfare arguments to deal with the inevitable increase inproblems with such an approach to drive sentiment in the now disconnected majority, and that will be that, finito.

BTW all commodities receive poor prices , how are the unsubsidised mushroom/ chicken/ pig/ veg industries doing in supporting rural Ireland?

"No man is an island"

The calves are strongly marked either solid black or dark red with good hair depending on the dam. Obviously the jex dams will have smaller calves than the flecks, which may in turn have a white splash on the forehead but that's only a fair price issue.

I just see his flyer, seems to be a cross between De Valera and the Fascists. I hope your good at gardening for the self sufficient farming model they propose, and there'll be no-one to help with the harvest either!

Apparantly all the present major parties are Far Left but our Derek is just right of centre… lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭straight

Isn't he the guy that was bullying librarians... Blight they call him. Any chance he could phuck off back to where he came from himself I wonder. He's a v poor reflection of the country in my opinion.

But the big problem is the original payments were made on cattle sheep milk and crops but payments now are made on land ownership

Q

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

As far as I know, the EU (or is it the Dept?) won't allow a direct payment linked to production because they don't want to encourage extra production. Or something like that. The reality may be different now.

But I agree - some type of updated system of direct payments should be considered. Maybe what we have now is the best of a bad lot, but it's never any harm to look at things with fresh eyes.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I think the both of you make great points. I personally don’t have any great ideas instead of what’s currently there but when you stand back and size it all up… for a fella to inherit a farm worth maybe a couple million and then for the ordinary Joe Soap taxpayers across Europe having to pay their taxes which are then used to prop up a multi millionaires business. Like it’d suit me fine if they said they were gonna double up the payments but when you stand back and size it all up objectively it is ridiculous. It’s not much better than glorified social welfare money

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Jack98

The average farm size in Ireland is around 80 acres and in most parts of the country that wouldn’t amount to a million, these guys or girls inheriting a couple of million worth of an asset in the main are a small segment of the overall farmers in Ireland. Subsidies allow the cost of food to eu residents to remain affordable. As many posters pointed out without these your part time farmers would capitulate and it would be detrimental to rural Ireland. Another poster said we need all the different farm enterprises to survive and they were dead right without tillage farmers and beef farmers things would get very difficult for dairy farmers very quick, capitalism can only go so far.

It’s fine saying all your points from your point of view having no further building work needed, a substantial herd and farm and no sfp but think of the ordinary Joe soap who sfp and grants to keep going and make life some bit easier, it must be very frustrating for them reading your views here on this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Not being smart here and Dairy industry is not doing the same on rental agreements and the big co op big wigs wages and retirement packages paid by the dairy man. The problem in Ireland is farmers are separated and won’t stand together and have possibly the poorest minster of agricultural ever who hasn’t a clue and the green agenda is number one and farming is at the end of the bottom of the pile.

Yes I accept everything you’re saying and would have to actually agree with you. I presume for most dairy farms though the SFP isn’t of huge significance versus what a farm turns over. Dairy farmers probably get the short end of the stick with the SFP.

Something I’d have to wonder though is if there was no SFP and if people did leave farming as a knock on effect would those people probably be better off? The wages in jobs now is bananas versus what’s out of farming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Literally the only way to justify EU payments nowadays is for adopting more environmentally friendly practices. Any review of payments would focus on that because there's no need at all to support production for productions sake.

Dairy farmers and tillage farmers would lose out the most. Beef and sheep would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/dairy/management/dairy-management-grass-growth-rates-slower-than-expected-816504

They still arent saying the quiet bit out loud, rotavated paddocks expirencing slower growth rates

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

No mention of their advice to get cows out into those saturated paddocks in March either 😂

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 49 V6400

any opinions on hurler or pastor trio?

Hurler especially seems like value if it’s any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

damaged paddocks is sone of the reason but not all of it. Both myself and others locally are tight for grass and a lot of those farmers kept cows in instead of grazing and doing damage. The weather simply hasn’t been great until lasts weeks heat

Just to drive anti nz crowd mad.id say today is magic day around here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

naghhhh twas last week here ….grass growing 100 an hour here last 2 hours ….rain last night this morning ….sunny and warm now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭green daries

Not sure on pastor only used one bit if it hurlers is good enough. Bit you'll be back to it the year after as it won't give the clean out of forefront..... but it depends on infestation level

Advertisement