Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭cosatron

Ha. We will be all fattening our culls to keep the n down. What a time to be milking cows

For a change AI has gone a bit better this year here

Scanned last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭cosatron

Any recommendations for a meal bin company that make a bin to suit specific dimensions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Crowleys prob would, cost I'm not sure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭green daries

I really hope you are both right on this I shudder to think of the work / expense it will put on already compliant farms ....farms that aren't already compliant well I don't really care about them there a large part of the reason we're in the mess we are in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭alps

Yes...it proposes to be referenced on your previous year..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

So if you have a good year you're back on cows the following year and if you have a bad year you're up on cows the following year. As far as I'm concerned If they aren't going to enforce the current rules and address the milking platform stocking rates they are only making fools of everyone.

It'll be quota by a different name, except there will be no way of buying your way out of it. The reason those of us in dero are in it to allow us to stock at a rate to be viable, grow our businesses and maximise use of land. Talks of lads looking for more ground etc may not materialise as generally it must be stocked correctly to pay for it. If dero goes or sr effected heavily there could be a major correction in land values, may not happen straight away but down the line. How would banks feel then if the land which the loans are secured on takes a tumble in value

The rich will buy the land and let it out tax-free to any remaining farmers.

Can't find the milk price thread but I was talking to two brothers yesterday ,one supplies Strathroy and the other Glanbia

Not counting solids,they said Strathroy last year was consistently about 2cpl give or take ahead of Glanbia

Both are in or around a million litres p.a so that's what,the Strathroy lad getting paid 20k more for his milk

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Whats wrong with milking platform stocking rates?

Makes sense to me to limit milking platform stocking rates. Guys around her with 5 cows/HA on the MP and they are not even in derogation. That's where alot of the nitrates problem is created as far as I can see. Meanwhile they are limiting guys with just a milking platform to under a cow per acre. I'm surprised it has to be explained tbh. Most lads load up the MP with nutrients and the outside blocks get the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Guys around here loaded with cows on homeblock, zerograzing and silage on outside blocks. Majority of slurry and dung then on homeblock leading to more pollution, then homeblock with urea in January, rinse and repeat. Exporting slurry then another paper exercise covering over the cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Stocked circa 4 /he on milk block here ….soil test every paddock yearly …slurry is not just loaded on this block it gets slurry in jan once ground conditions allow …fragmented farm …I’ve kept beef ainmals there good for cash flow but not for any decent profit

slurry is hauled to out blocks few times per year all with t shoe again it’s concentrated to where it’s needed based on soil test .grow maize too so that also takes up quite a bit .slurry is an asset and a valuable nutrient and not to be wasted .there’s lots of messers out there ,last weeks online ifa meeting on these new nitrates proposals showed a growing anger from farmers who are and trying to be complient to those who aren’t ,are out all winter spreading slurry etc

I would imagine what mj is at is where it could become mandatory, it is in countries such as Holland anyway, any slurry leaving has to be tested as well. More outlets for exporting it there as well with digester but they may not last very long financially either.

Soil test, slurry test and spread and fertilise according to those results then. A share of tillage farms would have all this on gps systems in the tractor in the UK and the like, I think waffletractor here was where I saw mention of that type of detail.

Looking around the yard today and what needs improving and replacing, some regardless of reg changes, and where I'm at in terms of development / age I'm thinking its a case of go all in as much as possible tbh. Work will have to be done regardless, line it up to match what may be coming and make the place as efficient as possible.

Always aimed to get to a scale where I could employ some one, have a man part time as it is, so get the facilities right and if sr is effected in a large way at least the place would be manageable by one person if it comes back to that

Well me being limited on milk block is going to affect us big time

We're stocked at 4 too with land away for silage and heifers contract reared

Don't intend going any higher as it will lead to buffer feeding and not interested in doing that every day of the year tbh

If you have all your land around parlour and can make enough money with what stock it supports you're lucky

Maybe consider those that need to increase there sales for various different reasons

It's not for me to be considering anybody. All I'm say is with these new nitrates bands I will be limited below 2.5/HA while others are allowed stock their land at whatever they like. It's the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭jaymla627

At the minute its just a fishing exercise by the department to placate Europe to allow a new derogation from next year, europe could in all likelihood deny renewing derogation our place max stocking limits on grazing platforms , with the clock running down into next year its some pisstake that the matter hasnt been resolved either way, which it was meant to be but the department are dragging it out to the last

Whats stopping you getting your heifers contract reared and milking more cows at home?

• Advertisement

Just personal choice. It's all a possibility if things tighten up too much.

Just shy of 12% empty in cows, one to recheck. All heifers in calf bar one to also recheck. Happy enough, thought I would be a percent or two higher in the cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Moved the calves on outfarm last night all flying it im delighted how they are all thriving this year 80 in the group mowing through grass now but they are showing it .. anyway I was up there now before milking and one of the best heifers one out of a 650 kgm/s cow and albert sired, a smasher of a calf dead in the corner. All got dosed a month ago even though they werent even coughing or didnt hardly need it it was more of a case of dad telling me we had to dose them. All got 2 shots of tribovax for blackleg too as got stung with blackleg 3 years ago. Cant understand it at all kicking myself but I know its just one of these things. Anyway I dont know what to do should I take the calf to a lab or just accept it and move on and hope none of the rest of calves go down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I would take it to lab, put your mind at rest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'd agree although I'd suspect some argy-bargy during movement.

I'd a client with an outbreak of CCN and no casualties until two were found dead one morning. They went to lab to see if a PM could throw some light on the situation. Turns out it was not CCN at all but Blackleg.

Moral of the story is that even if one cause is highly suspect, it can be something else.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Had a 7 week old calf back in 2017 who died before the Vet could get there.

PM findings - perforated abomasal ulcer.

The IFJ have a webinar on the nitrates plan tonight. I encourage everyone to have their say on this legislation. I was at a discussion group meeting today and the majority didn't seem to be up to speed with what they are facing. I have already put in submissions to the dept of housing, dept of agriculture, farmers journal and the IFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Missed the first 20 mins or so. It'll all depend on departments final figures id say. Having to separate soiled water from other slurry storage is a big one for all farms. The 6500kg is very low, I'll pass that this year I'd say with 50% first and second calvers with all calves fed whole milk. Would like to see the actual figures for that. Its applied to 10k litre cows in Europe like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I bought some oat milk the other day,just out of curiosity.

It's safe to say dairy milk will be here for a very very long time 😂it was 3 times the price and it tasted absolutely rotten.

I forced myself to drink lots to give it a fair chance.no just no.i had a pain in my head for a finish.i gave the rest of it to the cats and they turned there noses up to it.

It has it fair share of additives too ...salt Guam whatever that is,sunflower oil amongst others things.ya no a pint of dairy milk for me forever more 😁

No offense to any vegans reading this just my own opinion !

Advertisement