Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of Irish journalism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Of course Trump won last 2 weeks. The email stuff dominated every news cycle those last 2 weeks. Clinton's emails were front page on NY Times 12 times in last 14 days..

For which the the NY Times has never forgiven itself. Remember Jimmy Fallon's self flagellation for humanising Trump by stroking his hair? Silicon Valley also blames itself for all the memes etc. What we have now is a massive over-correction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Any chance at all of our news sources talking about something, anything else?? :rolleyes:

You’d nearly think what they put out there was controlled so it has an effect on the Irish public ;)

[IMG][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=520897&d=1595518926

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

that and her ignorance of the mid west definitely hurt her.

I think it's more the mid wests ignorance than hers. What a backwards desolate bloody place. They're really smarting after that choice now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Glancing through the front page headlines of the main newspapers in Ireland this morning, I saw one item of note that caught my attention, as it is not reported in full by Irish journalists. It relates to the Bank of Ireland text scam where people have been scammed out of at least €800,000.

My question is if the scam was operated by an Irish gang, would it have been reported more prominently by the Irish media? In this instance, a Nigerian gang based in Dublin is behind the scam, so there appears to be a media blackout about the perpetrators behind the crime ........... except from one main non-Irish media source The Times.

The Nigerian gang, based in the Blanchardstown and west Tallaght areas of Dublin are believed to targeted other banks and the extent of the crime may be larger than initially reported, which is why it was on the front page of The Times. Once again, it takes a non-Irish media source to report the full facts of a news story happening in Ireland, which begs the question: Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Kivaro wrote: »
    Glancing through the front page headlines of the main newspapers in Ireland this morning, I saw one item of note that caught my attention, as it is not reported in full by Irish journalists. It relates to the Bank of Ireland text scam where people have been scammed out of at least €800,000.

My question is if the scam was operated by an Irish gang, would it have been reported more prominently by the Irish media? In this instance, a Nigerian gang based in Dublin is behind the scam, so there appears to be a media blackout about the perpetrators behind the crime ........... except from one main non-Irish media source The Times.

The Nigerian gang, based in the Blanchardstown and west Tallaght areas of Dublin are believed to targeted other banks and the extent of the crime may be larger than initially reported, which is why it was on the front page of The Times. Once again, it takes a non-Irish media source to report the full facts of a news story happening in Ireland, which begs the question: Why?

Joe Duffy described the Nigerian rapist as a "Kildare man."!

Not a word anywhere other than in Sunday World and news sites like Gript and the odd blog that Adeniji - one of the Adenijis of Twomileborris I'd say - was here illegally for years before taking advantage of the anchor baby scam.

Even MSM foreign news is a joke. O'Donovan the RTE Washington correspondent should be getting paid by the Biden campaign, not by us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Bonniedog wrote: »

Even MSM foreign news is a joke. O'Donovan the RTE Washington correspondent should be getting paid by the Biden campaign, not by us.

I remember during the Brett Kavanaugh scandal listening to an RTE radio discussion on the matter. If you'd followed the case in detail you'd know that there was at least reason for doubt about the claims that where made, yet if you listened to RTE only you'd have thought it was an open and shut case. They had 4 people discussing the case, the presenter & 3 others. Out of all those people there wasn't one dissenting voice. It was probably the worst example of propaganda I'd came across in this country.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I remember during the Brett Kavanaugh scandal listening to an RTE radio discussion on the matter. If you'd followed the case in detail you'd know that there was at least reason for doubt about the claims that where made, yet if you listened to RTE only you'd have thought it was an open and shut case. They had 4 people discussing the case, the presenter & 3 others. Out of all those people there wasn't one dissenting voice. It was probably the worst example of propaganda I'd came across in this country.

It's American politics talked about by Irish media and for Irish people. Why should there be a dissenting voice? Are we American citizens, do we have a right to vote there and is Kvanaugh our supreme Court justice?

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's American politics talked about by Irish media and for Irish people. Why should there be a dissenting voice? Are we American citizens, do we have a right to vote there and is Kvanaugh our supreme Court justice?

As explained above the coverage was solely ant Trump and also negligent regarding the substance of the case.

But we've seen the same with regards to all American coverage since the BLM rioting and looting started. And if the totally one-sided coverage was not sufficient, RTE and Times has daily lectures on racism.

Did RTE even cover the body cam that was released and which completely destroys the claim that Floyd was murdered by cop kneeling on his neck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I think it's more the mid wests ignorance than hers. What a backwards desolate bloody place. They're really smarting after that choice now.

Out of interest Zeb what do you see as the Midwest? Which states?

The Economist has a alternative view. Links below.

"Its collective gross product is worth nearly $4trn, ranking alongside Germany’s as the world’s fourth-biggest"

"The Midwest has 16 of the country’s 50 top-ranked medical schools, five of the 25 best computer-science ones, and 17 of 63 leading research universities"

"21% of America’s patent filings, by companies and universities in the region"

Elected representatives include, Lori Lightfoot (lesbian African-American), Pete Buttegieg (married to a man), Amy Klobuchar (noted liberal), Ilhan Abdullahi Omar & Rashida Tlaib (Muslim congress women). This hardly paints the picture of a backward desolate place. Have you ever been?

https://www.economist.com/special-report/2020/07/23/from-rustbelt-to-brainbelt
    https://www.economist.com/special-report/2020/07/23/a-region-with-outsized-punch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's called balance. You might be happy with one sided propaganda, but I'm not. It makes no difference whether it's Irish or American, they have a duty to try and present things without spin, especially since the people of Ireland have to pay for said service. If it was one persons opinion then fine, but it was 4 different people who all had the same view. Would it really of been so hard to have one voice who didn't agree with all of them? Would you of held a similar opinion if all of them were defending him?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

News probably came too late and their spin doctor had gone away for the weekend.

Can imagine a whole bunch of "well they have displayed technical aptitude, so why hasnt Google or Facebook hired them....inherent racism in Ireland, thats why!!" style articles from tomorrow on. That or it all being the banks fault, really, when you think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

What source are they crediting with information about the 'prime suspects'? Not all journalists have access to all sources; and it's quite possible this journalist has some insider source who he has tapped for information.

What exactly is the relevance of the nationality of the suspects in the first place? Why do you think it matters if they are Nigerian, Bulgarian, British, Irish, or whatever? Would commenting on their eating habits be relevant for example? If they were vegetarians would the journalist have written 'a vegetarian gang'? I suspect the only reason you posted this was precisely because of the Nigerian element; and as such you can guess the reason this was done: to drive clicks.

Then there's the element of ethical reporting in terms of a potential on-going criminal investigation: were the gang aware they had been identified? Are they now forewarned and able to destroy evidence and/or evade arrest and prosecution? Did the Gardai want these details to be publicised or not? I would suggest an Irish media outlet would be much more sensitive to these questions than a British one.

ronivek wrote: »

What exactly is the relevance of the nationality of the suspects in the first place? .

Because most of them came here illegally for a start.

Of course we all know that if someone who shouldn't even be here rapes/murders/scams/mugs someone, then if they didn't do it, Paddy would :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Because most of them came here illegally for a start.

Of course we all know that if someone who shouldn't even be here rapes/murders/scams/mugs someone, then if they didn't do it, Paddy would :rolleyes:

Ireland had a city commonly referred to as Stab city for decades but upon a recent attack in which a black person stabbed a white person, threads here were full of posters saying that this was a new type of violence brought to the country.

Some people just plain don't like foreigners but dress up this hatred with 'loss of culture' 'mostly dangerous people' 'they're all criminals' while ignoring the reality and i would be willing to bet, doing nothing to support or improve the society in which they live beyond complaining about others.

We are stuck with our own scum of whom there are many.

I don't see that as a reason to import more scum. There is a reason why many dodgepots who come here pretend to be asylum seekers and conceal their actual nationality, name and criminal records.

We let them stay here for years, and even to work now while having free digs!

Over half of asylum seekers are rejected at first. We have deported less than 600 illegals and criminals in last three years. Rest of them spend years appealing or just disappear into the woodwork.

What exactly has to do with Irish media except that it's obviously not racist enough for some in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

What exactly has to do with Irish media except that it's obviously not racist enough for some in this thread.

Eh?

Personally I'd like the media to report the truth in a fair and balanced way.

Here's an example of how the media is far from impartial, we'd fit into the CNN bracket here in Ireland.

No we wouldn't. Someone saying something on YouTube with proper background information, how much he sold to anyone and without the reply of the Fox and CNN and so on is worthless link. The problem is that kind of nonsense is swallowed without proper critical analysis.

It might be true or it might not but without proper context that YouTube link is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

This is embarrassing. Two Irish journalists and camera crew documents policitians purchase of shoes. We're entering Fox News & Trump quality of journalism here.

https://twitter.com/GNiAodha/status/1292767683465957377?s=19

https://twitter.com/JackHoJo/status/1292767194976333824?s=19

He is minister for enterprise promoting businesses being open in Dublin city center which badly affected by fall in footfall. Hardly the first or last example of a minister doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

smurgen wrote: »
    This is embarrassing. Two Irish journalists and camera crew documents policitians purchase of shoes. We're entering Fox News & Trump quality of journalism here.

He was visiting a small business to launch a small business grant scheme to help small businesses reopen after suffering losses due to Covid-19. You took these photos from their actual context (a press event to launch a financial support scheme for small business) and tried to present them as some kind of weird shoe fetish piece by the Irish media. Hardly groundbreaking investigative journalism but hardly outside the realm of standard press fare either.

Do you appreciate the irony of your comparison to Fox News and Trump as you present pictures to spew your own skewed narrative without their wider context?

Here's a better piece of 'journalism' from the Irish media on the matter: https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/restart-grant-ireland-smes-covid19-funding

ronivek wrote: »
    He was visiting a small business to launch a small business grant scheme to help small businesses reopen after suffering losses due to Covid-19. You took these photos from their actual context (a press event to launch a financial support scheme for small business) and tried to present them as some kind of weird shoe fetish piece by the Irish media. Hardly groundbreaking investigative journalism but hardly outside the realm of standard press fare either.

Do you appreciate the irony of your comparison to Fox News and Trump as you present pictures to spew your own skewed narrative without their wider context?

Here's a better piece of 'journalism' from the Irish media on the matter: https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/restart-grant-ireland-smes-covid19-funding

He already done that a month ago with the men's clothing store. Remember the pictures of him in the blue blazer? So can we expect to see a monthly set of photo ops under the guise of "new business initiatives" until his wardrobe is revamped completely? How about he gets onto the meat factories asap to ensure entire counties aren't locked down going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

smurgen wrote: »
    He already done that a month ago with the men's clothing store. Remember the pictures of him in the blue blazer? So can we expect to see a monthly set of photo ops under the guise of "new business initiatives" until his wardrobe is revamped completely? How about he gets onto the meat factories asap to ensure entire counties aren't locked down going forward?

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1278693668036268033?s=19
    As Minister for enterprise, you're likely to see him promoting all sorts of business from heavy farm machinery to a cafe selling cup cakes.

This isn't evidence of the rot in journalism tbf.

As Minister for enterprise, you're likely to see him promoting all sorts of business from heavy farm machinery to a cafe selling cup cakes.

This isn't evidence of the rot in journalism tbf.

As the sole minister for Business enterprise and employment I thought he'd be busy today contacting business owners in Kildare, Offaly and Laois who got shock lockdown announcements last week. I further thought he'd be busy contacting meat plant owners ensuring those awaiting Covid tests wouldn't be at work today. I guess his remit doesn't cover employee welfare? Era he's better off shopping.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1292421222538584069?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Main stream media were busy this weekend, multiple far right articles. Never saw National Party or Irish Freedom mentioned so much!

Then they had the sudden need to report on anti mask arrests and protests in London and even Melbourne. Its been going on for weeks in Melbourne and not a mention.

The nutters must really have upset the Government last weekend and ordered there pals to try stop it happening again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Main stream media were busy this weekend, multiple far right articles. Never saw National Party or Irish Freedom mentioned so much!

Then they had the sudden need to report on anti mask arrests and protests in London and even Melbourne. Its been going on for weeks in Melbourne and not a mention.

The nutters must really have upset the Government last weekend and ordered there pals to try stop it happening again.
    Will we get any articles on the Far Left and violent Antifa, the Dail is full of the far Left.

Probably not because Irish journalists are far Left themselves, that's why they get into journalism, to manipulate the agenda and be activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Will we get any articles on the Far Left and violent Antifa, the Dail is full of the far Left.

Probably not because Irish journalists are far Left themselves, that's why they get into journalism, to manipulate the agenda and be activists.

The Journal had an article about the anti-mask protests, which they stated was attended and organised exclusively by the 'Far-Right,' at the top of their newsfeed for 24 hours yesterday. All negative of course - best part was that you couldn't comment. Now why would that be? Comments are closed on ongoing legal cases, reasonably enough, but I couldn't figure out why this impartial media source would close them on an article such as this. Couldn't be that they were afraid there might be some comments contrary to the thrust of their article, could it? Noticed articles decrying the Far-Right in the Indo too. It's crazy. We have ZERO elected representatives nationally who could be described as far right and the media obsess over it as if they are on every corner. We do have some far left lunatics in the Dail (and every media organisation) who seem to get a free pass however. Media has been bought and sold.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Alot of white noise going on at the moment to cover up the balls they're making of covid situation. Also the absolute state of the indo here. Can't wait until it hits the wall.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1307673383157608451?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Alot of young people don't buy newspapers , online ads are not enough to pay the revenue from people buying 1000,s of papers .
    Paywalls work for new York Times ,
    Not so well for local papers .
    The days when every adult bought a newspaper every day is gone.

• Advertisement

Another stupid article from the Indo. I really am not sure what the point of this stuff is?

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1308279872251408384?s=19

Advertisement