Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Hubertj wrote: »
    This is the wrong forum. But you are a liar. Must be sad to have to make stuff up on the internet to suit your agenda. Good luck

Well if anybody thinks Google is employing c. 8,000 actual developers in Dublin, that may be true, but given they c. 120,000 worldwide, I'd make an educated guess that the c. 8,000 employed in Dublin are mostly employed in sales given that Ireland is their worldwide headquarters and profit center outside the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Imo between the Climate Change refugees from other countries and the Hongkong Billionaire who wants to build an entire new city, the Island of Ireland and its low density population will be quite interesting for all sorts of people to relocate to in future.
    I wouldn’t underestimate the draw of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

Lolle06 wrote: »
    Imo between the Climate Change refugees from other countries and the Hongkong Billionaire who wants to build an entire new city, the Island of Ireland and its low density population will be quite interesting for all sorts of people to relocate to in future.
    I wouldn’t underestimate the draw of this country.
    we would need to put a roof on it though..:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The last multiple pages are more suited to other forums, really; as they are macroeconomic discussions, personal arguments and so on. Could people attempt to get back on topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

AirBnB-ers will be s******* themselves when this "summer" is over. Also, many colleges will be providing off campus classes come October. Rental availability surely must go up dropping asking prices. Or is this hyperbole?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JamesMason wrote:
    AirBnB-ers will be s******* themselves when this "summer" is over. Also, many colleges will be providing off campus classes come October. Rental availability surely must go up dropping asking prices. Or is this hyperbole?

It may, or may not , we simply don't know, in theory it should, but theory rarely occurs in reality

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

JamesMason wrote: »

I don't think there is the abundance of supply that people seem to imagine there is out there. The lions share of airbnb in Ireland is not units that are permanently available on the platform- it is temporary availability of units for specific timeframes (normally while the owners are elsewhere- often in other airbnb units). Yes- there are some units dedicated to airbnb- but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Any 'normalisation' of the sector- will probably be next summer (2021) at the earliest- possibly the following year- its not something that is going to happen short to medium term.

The saving grace for Airbnb in many urban settings- will be students looking for short-term rentals for the 1 week a month they're in formal classes for the next semester (or longer term). Many of them will view airbnb as a better bet than a hotel for a week- or traveling to and from college for their 1 week a month- or 1 day a week (or whatever).

Either way- its going to take a while for the dust to settle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I don't think there is the abundance of supply that people seem to imagine there is out there. The lions share of airbnb in Ireland is not units that are permanently available on the platform- it is temporary availability of units for specific timeframes (normally while the owners are elsewhere- often in other airbnb units). Yes- there are some units dedicated to airbnb- but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Any 'normalisation' of the sector- will probably be next summer (2021) at the earliest- possibly the following year- its not something that is going to happen short to medium term.

The saving grace for Airbnb in many urban settings- will be students looking for short-term rentals for the 1 week a month they're in formal classes for the next semester (or longer term). Many of them will view airbnb as a better bet than a hotel for a week- or traveling to and from college for their 1 week a month- or 1 day a week (or whatever).

Either way- its going to take a while for the dust to settle.

Ya aerbnb's could be busier than ever this winter. As well for all the talk about college accommodation being under pressure price wise most 2nd,3rd and final year students will still opt for staying away from home if they already have done that.

Most still have 250-350/week burning a joke in there pockets and will be paid it until next April. It already obvious with a lot of college students opting to stay in this at present so that they can have a social life

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

really? a certain cohort maybe, but given that very few people are travelling abroad and lots are taking houses down the country, id say they are doing pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Over in the thread Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming? there are mixed signs. Within my immediate part of Dublin-1 there are now a few 2-beds going for what I am currently paying for a 1-bed, but reports from elsewhere is people (esp. REITs) maintaining prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Supply on my home down another 50 today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Sales prices showing no sign of decline as latest report below

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/98d5baa18a1bc6d603e0/

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Mic 1972 wrote: »

What’s the source of the report?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What’s the source of the report?

this under the chart:
    PPR volume and median sale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Had posted the below house about two weeks back, gone tonight for 6% over asking.

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/33-castleknock-avenue-laurel-lodge-castleknock-dublin-d15-pp82 Asking 499k, gone for 531k

A house on the same road went last month for 525k (Asking was 490k)

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/10-castleknock-avenue-laurel-lodge-castleknock-dublin-d15-da26

So not seeing any evidence of drops; albeit in a very small area!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Summer2020

There are no drops as far as I can see. Houses all going for slightly over asking in the area of D18 that I’m looking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The resident statistician will not like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BEdS_83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

BEdS_83 wrote: »

Definitely mistyped the price or did it purposely to get free publicity. You would get a house in Celbridge for that price. Most two bed apartments are in and around 190-225k in Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be fair, if the price drops do not manifest themselves in the next 4 to 6 months the property bulls will have called this correctly and i, like many others on the forum will have to eat their humble pie. Although the housing market has incredible amounts of inertia, at this point, I would've expected it to be showing signs of turning. Volume is way way down though which is likely playing into price support.

That said I just cannot see how prices can remain supported at the level they are at given the damage to the economy. The buyer pool has to be shrinking rather rapidly currently as credit becomes withdrawn, jobs are lost and the economy enters recession.

Since volume of completed sales is way down are we looking at sellers simply refusing to countenance a price below expectation? I guess we shall see if the no of available properties starts to rise that this is the reason (no evidence of this yet tbf). If that is the case then the falls will eventually come.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BEdS_83

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Had posted the below house about two weeks back, gone tonight for 6% over asking.

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/33-castleknock-avenue-laurel-lodge-castleknock-dublin-d15-pp82 Asking 499k, gone for 531k

A house on the same road went last month for 525k (Asking was 490k)

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/10-castleknock-avenue-laurel-lodge-castleknock-dublin-d15-da26

So not seeing any evidence of drops; albeit in a very small area!

These both look like very liveable, nice turn key level properties. From what I've seen the drops are hitting the doer upper market. You wont see any drop on those types of properties above until next year if any, and wouldnt expect more than 5-10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭wassie

To be fair, if the price drops do not manifest themselves in the next 4 to 6 months the property bulls will have called this correctly and i, like many others on the forum will have to eat their humble pie. Although the housing market has incredible amounts of inertia, at this point, I would've expected it to be showing signs of turning. Volume is way way down though which is likely playing into price support.

That said I just cannot see how prices can remain supported at the level they are at given the damage to the economy. The buyer pool has to be shrinking rather rapidly currently as credit becomes withdrawn, jobs are lost and the economy enters recession.

Since volume of completed sales is way down are we looking at sellers simply refusing to countenance a price below expectation? I guess we shall see if the no of available properties starts to rise that this is the reason (no evidence of this yet tbf). If that is the case then the falls will eventually come.

In fairness, I don't think too many people, both the bulls & the bears, in this thread had anticipated the level of supply to be falling as much as it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

wassie wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think too many people, both the bulls & the bears, in this thread had anticipated the level of supply to be falling as much as it has.

In market terms a bull us someone that considers the market will keep rising fast. A best is someone who considers the market will collapse.

There was very few bulls if any on this thread. Most like myself could not see the house market collapsing. I myself said we could see a price reduction.but it would be.np more than 10% and might not be that much.

What we had was a large number of bears that talked about a 20%+ reduction. They posted that there would be a property crash worse than 2007-12. The other view held by me and other was that the conditions in2007-12 were totally different and were created by over supply and a house price boon that had seen exponential rises for the previous 4-8 years. It was driven by unrestricted lending and an attitude that anyone could have 2-3 houses. It was tax driven and ROI for investors was below 2% so an investor was dependent on house price rises to make a profit.

Since 2016-2017 prices in Dublin have steadied and very few investors were buying there. House builders were still struggling to finance and start building until 2018/19 therefore supply was limited. House price rises were strictly limited by imposition of 3.5 times lending rules with limited exemptions.

Published building costs seemed to bear out everything that those who believed the market would not collapse completely posted. However bears on the thread posted spurious data collected by themselves which had no bearing on the reality on the ground. Any local knowledge by those that could not see a collapse was rubbished.

There was no bulls only bears......and maybe a few who taught they could cause market disturbance

Slava Ukrainii

In market terms a bull us someone that considers the market will keep rising fast. A best is someone who considers the market will collapse.

There was very few bulls if any on this thread. Most like myself could not see the house market collapsing. I myself said we could see a price reduction.but it would be.np more than 10% and might not be that much.

What we had was a large number of bears that talked about a 20%+ reduction. They posted that there would be a property crash worse than 2007-12. The other view held by me and other was that the conditions in2007-12 were totally different and were created by over supply and a house price boon that had seen exponential rises for the previous 4-8 years. It was driven by unrestricted lending and an attitude that anyone could have 2-3 houses. It was tax driven and ROI for investors was below 2% so an investor was dependent on house price rises to make a profit.

Since 2016-2017 prices in Dublin have steadied and very few investors were buying there. House builders were still struggling to finance and start building until 2018/19 therefore supply was limited. House price rises were strictly limited by imposition of 3.5 times lending rules with limited exemptions.

Published building costs seemed to bear out everything that those who believed the market would not collapse completely posted. However bears on the thread posted spurious data collected by themselves which had no bearing on the reality on the ground. Any local knowledge by those that could not see a collapse was rubbished.

There was no bulls only bears......and maybe a few who taught they could cause market disturbance

Spot on I don't think there was anyone saying there will be a 50% rise in property. I think even the most optimistic person was thinking prices may stay flat on the other side you had people saying 50% drops and ignoring the factors coming into play when it comes to the property market this time around. Some posters were calling anyone who didn't predict a drop a vested interested party or a E.A which was madness. So even do we have proof that prices have not dropped currently it doesn't mean they wont and anyone looking to buy or sell you need to look at your own circumstances by all means read the posts people are putting up but do not take the "i know a person" or "my bro in law bought" stories if someone has stats and facts to back up what they are saying then they can inform you of the reality that is going on not what people want or wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Advertisement

CorkRed93 wrote: »

I would of thought the original price was overly high for a 3 bed in Cork even the revised price may be a bit on the high side but I dont know the area of Blackrock in Cork so I could be wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement