Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Is there any way of finding out about developments due on stream in 2021 or is it a case of checking MyHome etc regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,947 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Kasey_Don wrote: »
    They may be nice but Leixlip is a nothing town. The best thing is that it's close to other towns.

I assumed they're not finished or furnished so you'll have to spend another 10-20k on it.

very few houses, new or second hand will come furnished.

Is there any way of finding out about developments due on stream in 2021 or is it a case of checking MyHome etc regularly?

irish times property section normally summarises them once a month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

Cyrus wrote: »
    very few houses, new or second hand will come furnished.

Yah - sometimes you can buy the show house, but you will be charged for the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Only the rich can avail of the help to buy.

Can you explain what this means? Help to buy only applies to properties under 500k, which I doubt the "rich" have any interest in buying for their first home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

They may be nice but Leixlip is a nothing town. The best thing is that it's close to other towns.

I assumed they're not finished or furnished so you'll have to spend another 10-20k on it.

Each to their own, I personally agree with you, lexslip wasn't for us, but there are obviously alot.of people who could afford these properties who thought it was nice enough. I thought the size / proportions were good. One of the nicer new builds we viewed. A bit of a walk from the train if I remember.

You have two train stops, it's essentially an extension of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Ok, did anyone spot anything in the budget that may impact on the property market in either direction? HTB was already well flagged. Seems to me, nothing much has changed from the situation that existed last week.

Normally there's small items that aren't noticed but do make an impact. But, from a quick look, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Can you explain what this means? Help to buy only applies to properties under 500k, which I doubt the "rich" have any interest in buying for their first home.

If you look at a cheap new build in Dublin/commuter belt you're talking €400k, lets say 410 because it makes the salary multiple at the end round.

Knock off 30k HTB and same again for own deposit you have a mortgage of €350k which requires an income of €100k. For a single applicant FTB that is extremely high, more achievable for a couple.

I think they mean high income rich not asset rich.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The type of property you're talking about at €410k is a 3 or 4 bed family home which would always have been a stretch for single buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

wassie wrote: »
    HTB is not just about FTB. The reason it applies to new builds is to also stimulate the building industry. Its not just property developers who benefit - its a whole industry including trades, suppliers, consultants & engineers, real estate, financiers marketing etc.

HTB = Help The Brickie!

A Brickie won’t get help on a second hand house. Inflating already overpriced property is almost as bad as a shared ownership scheme (putting people into houses they fundamentally can’t afford)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

maybe stop guessing about things you have no experience in.

considering we have regular meeting about the need to get our conversion costs down and the reasoning behind it ,I think I know why our company does it
    They had companies registered here with no employees, just accountants
    How does that work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Ok, did anyone spot anything in the budget that may impact on the property market in either direction? HTB was already well flagged. Seems to me, nothing much has changed from the situation that existed last week.

Normally there's small items that aren't noticed but do make an impact. But, from a quick look, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Well the fact that the government are spending a shed load of money to try and keep things the way they were before corona instead of what happened in the 08 crash where they cut the hell out of everything would be an indicator that property prices will not be dropping any time soon.

maybe stop guessing about things you have no experience in.

And you have experience of how multinational companies worth 85 b with an annual income of 28 b do their tax accounts
    I admit I do not but I know we never register a profit as a manufacturing company

brisan wrote: »
    And you have experience of how multinational companies worth 85 b with an annual income of 28 b do their tax accounts
    I admit I do not but I know we never register a profit as a manufacturing company

Yes i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 three putt

No, not really.
    Situation remains the same, demand outstrips supply, at least in the short term.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

All depends what you consider rich
    To buy a 500k house you would need a deposit of 50k and a mortgage of 450 k(assuming min deposit )
    To get a 450 k mortgage you would need a combined income of 128.5 k
    That to a lot of people is rich mans money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

2 houses i have been watching, both up on MyHome.ie 1 year and 25% more than other similar properties in the area.

Both went sale agreed this week, seems the market is very stable folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

brisan wrote: »
    All depends what you consider rich
    To buy a 500k house you would need a deposit of 50k and a mortgage of 450 k(assuming min deposit )
    To get a 450 k mortgage you would need a combined income of 128.5 k
    That to a lot of people is rich mans money

While 500k is at the high end of a first time buyers budget, it's not in "rich" people territory. First time buyers are much older than they used to be. People in their 30s will have had a good few years to save a substantial deposit. It's also pretty much at the bottom end of the South Dublin market.

Aside from that, a combined income of 128.5k would be a solidly middle class household. In terms of percentile that is a pretty high household income granted, but its not rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

fliball123 wrote: »
    Well the fact that the government are spending a shed load of money to try and keep things the way they were before corona instead of what happened in the 08 crash where they cut the hell out of everything would be an indicator that property prices will not be dropping any time soon.

I'm sure they may have some extra proposals that will be issued piecemeal over the next few months. But for the moment, it looks like we may be back to the fundamentals for the next 12 months:

1. What are all those landlords who used to rent to students in Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Cork going to do with their properties?

2. What are all those property owners who used to rent on AirBnB in Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Cork going to do with their properties?

3. What are all the dedicated student accommodation providers (especially in Dublin) going to do with their properties?

4. How is WFH going to impact on the demand/supply dynamics of the property market over the next 12 months i.e. City vs. Rural? That issue is only really getting started.

While 500k is at the high end of a first time buyers budget, it's not in "rich" people territory. First time buyers are much older than they used to be. People in their 30s will have had a good few years to save a substantial deposit. It's also pretty much at the bottom end of the South Dublin market.

Aside from that, a combined income of 128.5k would be a solidly middle class household. In terms of percentile that is a pretty high household income granted, but its not rich.

As I said it all depends what you call rich
    A millionaire is a rich person to me ,to a billionaire he is not
    If you are on 30k and your partner is on the same then 128k a year combined is rich mans money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Housing crisis started in 2013. Nearly 8 years later and this is the state of the housing market. A new build in Leixlip for ****ing 385k.
    https://www.daft.ie/kildare/new-homes-for-sale/barnhall-meadows-leixlip-kildare-156467/

It's an absolute disgrace what FG have done to this country and it's young people.

I really hate FG. They have ****ed young peoples lives for nearly a decade.

I totally agree, dispicable scum! The magic money tree they keep accusing SF of, their is a magic money tree, FG voters, many comfortable, I am alright Jack, inherited houses or got them for a pittance decades ago. I hope the youngish FG voters have copped onto what bull**** and lies Varadkar came out with! FIFTY percent marginal rate of tax, scandalous housing costs for you, free for the wasters that would never vote for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I'm a first time buyer trying to buy solo, the market it flying up around here. Iv rang asking about 3 houses priced 215 to 245 all went by 15k to 40k over the asking price. Its a nightmare and unless there is a crash I'll never get a home.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I totally agree, dispicable scum! The magic money tree they keep accusing SF of, their is a magic money tree, FG voters, many comfortable, I am alright Jack, inherited houses or got them for a pittance decades ago. I hope the youngish FG voters have copped onto what bull**** and lies Varadkar came out with! FIFTY percent marginal rate of tax, scandalous housing costs for you, free for the wasters that would never vote for him!

where do you think the marginal rate of tax goes under the terrorists?

What are all those landlords who used to rent to students in Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Cork going to do with their properties?

My uncle is in the process of turning his student accom out the back garden into a pub lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Was there anything on the retrofit scheme today? Can't find much online.... any specifics anyone saw? Currently looking at a house with a not very comfortable E BER.

where do you think the marginal rate of tax goes under the terrorists?

Where can i buy a shirt with that shade of blue Cy? :P

Where can i buy a shirt with that shade of blue Cy? :P

i was more of a PDs voter personally, im a floating voter now but i wont ever be floating sinn feinns way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Housing crisis started in 2013. Nearly 8 years later and this is the state of the housing market. A new build in Leixlip for ****ing 385k.
    https://www.daft.ie/kildare/new-homes-for-sale/barnhall-meadows-leixlip-kildare-156467/

It's an absolute disgrace what FG have done to this country and it's young people.

I really hate FG. They have ****ed young peoples lives for nearly a decade.

While nama operate as they please , selling stock to the big boys for discounted prices..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

I'm sure they may have some extra proposals that will be issued piecemeal over the next few months. But for the moment, it looks like we may be back to the fundamentals for the next 12 months:

1. What are all those landlords who used to rent to students in Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Cork going to do with their properties?

2. What are all those property owners who used to rent on AirBnB in Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Cork going to do with their properties?

3. What are all the dedicated student accommodation providers (especially in Dublin) going to do with their properties?

4. How is WFH going to impact on the demand/supply dynamics of the property market over the next 12 months i.e. City vs. Rural? That issue is only really getting started.

On your first 3 points this has been situation since late Feb of this year and prices have not dropped. As for WFH why is it an issue with regard to house prices regardless of working from home or not the person still needs to live somewhere so while Dublin might have a decrease in demand (and it is very in demand at the moment) other areas will have a rise in demand.

So what we do know is that the government will not be taxing people more who are working and are keeping up the payments to those affected by corona and also throwing money at infrastructure and public services. You would actually think we were in a very stable period with our ecconomy with huge growth figures in the near to medium future. So now add in the left leaning orgs who will not tolerate anyone being kicked out of the family home the only excess properties that may come on board on top of what is being built may be the Air Bnb and student accommodation your talking about. Oh and nearly forgot supply side is down again this month on property available for sale. This budget will keep prices stable for the next 6 to 12 months.

• Advertisement

let me guess, is the answer they are all going to become social housing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement