Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 251 - Usman vs Masvidal Sat July 11th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Still Ill wrote: »
    I guess you gotta win convincingly to get the belt as the challenger.

I never understand why people say this.

It's not as if the fight is being judged as one big fight. It's just round by round. The judges submit their score at the end of every round.

I honestly doubt any of them think "Well, that was a close round.......you gotta win convincingly as the challenger. Therefore the Champion wins that one"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I never understand why people say this.

It's not as if the fight is being judged as one big fight. It's just round by round. The judges submit their score at the end of every round.

I honestly doubt any of them think "Well, that was a close round.......you gotta win convincingly as the challenger. Therefore the Champion wins that one"

It's definitely applicable to boxing but not MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anybody calling Volkanovski's win as robbery hasn't a clue. It was really close and I personally thought Holloway might get it but wasn't at all sure.
    The important stat that nobody seems to be mentioning is significant strikes and Volkanovski had 96 of them over the final three rounds to 62 for Holloway. Split into rounds it went 25-15 in round 3, 34-24 in round 4 and 37-23 in round 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Masvidal by Sub
    Volkanovski must be raging 2 wins and both being questioned

dave1982 wrote: »
    Volkanovski must be raging 2 wins and both being questioned

What idiots are questioning the first fight? Result was in zero doubt

• Advertisement

Also as much as Rogan gets on my nerves commentating, Bisping is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aldo by KO/TKO
    The stats from Volkanovski v Holloway are interesting.

Volkanovski landed more often, and with higher accuracy across the board.

bBz6Ym8.png

Those are total including strikes to the legs.
    If you look at head strikes only, Max landed most in the 1st, 2nd was equal and Volkanovski 3rd, 4th, 5th.

In real time I left Max was landing much more than he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Judges scorecard showed that it was the 5th round and not the 3rd that split them.

All three judges gave 1 & 2 to Holloway, 3 & 4 to Volkanovski.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Aldo by KO/TKO

I thought Bisping was great on Saturday, a few moments aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Yan by Sub

I tend to agree. After I realized how often he says "Look at this!" when he gets excited.
    Reminds me of Michael Cole on the old WWE shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Didn't he reply to Hendo's tweet mid fight as well? Multi tasking at it's finest.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Judges scorecard showed that it was the 5th round and not the 3rd that split them.

All three judges gave 1 & 2 to Holloway, 3 & 4 to Volkanovski.

Ya I can't understand that, I had a Volkanovski for the 5th without a doubt. Anyway calls for robbery are ridiculous, it was 1 round in a razor close fight. Hope they do a 3rd soon but its unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

1.3 million ppv buys.

Masvidal is a certified box office star.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Yan by Sub
    ricero wrote: »
    1.3 million ppv buys.

Masvidal is a certified box office star.

Nothing to do with 3 title fights. Fight island and the pandemic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

US2 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with 3 title fights. Fight island and the pandemic?

As far as I know the social media trends point to Masvidal as being the main reason.

I expect a bmf title rematch this year which can further cement Masvidal as number 2 box office draw to Mcgregor for the Ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Yan by Sub
    As far as I know the social media trends point to Masvidal as being the main reason.

I expect a bmf title rematch this year which can further cement Masvidal as number 2 box office draw to Mcgregor for the Ufc.

Would love to see him fight McGregor instead, couldn't see anyway Nate beats Jorge.

Masvidal definitely a big draw, where do you go with him now though?

Him and McGregor would break all records I think, the build up would be insane but Masvidal would batter him. Easily the best boxer in the UFC

Aldo by KO/TKO
    rob316 wrote: »

I get sex sells but surely that's it for Van Zandt, she has no business in the UFC. She do well in the WWE with no risk of damaging her pretty face.

I think she'll be kept around a while yet. She was on Dancing with the Stars and some other big show in the US recently. Dana loves that kind of mainstream attention.

She's 8-5 which isn't the most insulting record around, there are quite a few with much worse.

I do agree though, she's not good enough.

Aldo by KO/TKO
    McGregor vs. Masvidal has to be the fight to make.

I personally have the square root of zero interest in seeing Nate against either of them again.

Aldo by KO/TKO
    I think she'll be kept around a while yet. She was on Dancing with the Stars and some other big show in the US recently. Dana loves that kind of mainstream attention.

She's 8-5 which isn't the most insulting record around, there are quite a few with much worse.

I do agree though, she's not good enough.

She has said she will testing free agency after this match.

• Advertisement

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Mellor wrote: »
    She has said she will testing free agency after this match.

Ahhh, hadn't heard that.

Dana also said she should try it, so he doesn't sound massively interested in keeping her around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If that's true, I wonder if his terrible performance in the fight will damage his attraction now?

If that's true, I wonder if his terrible performance in the fight will damage his attraction now?
    Doubt it, all they have to say is he took it on 6 days notice. If anything the 6 days thing benefited him, now he's in a decent position to look for a rematch soon ish and can have a full camp this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

You think Masvidal performed terribly?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Esse85 wrote:
    You think Masvidal performed terribly?
    He was completely dominated, so much so that Usman was just able to comfortably win rounds and not try too hard for takedowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

eagle eye wrote: »
    He was completely dominated, so much so that Usman was just able to comfortably win rounds and not try too hard for takedowns.

He had 6 days notice, travelled to another continent to fight, lost 22 pounds in that time. Lasted the 5 rounds.

To say he "performed terribly" taking the true facts above into consideration is absolute ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eagle eye wrote: »

I don't think it affected his stock negatively.

He took the fight on 6 days notice, had to take all sorts of tests, all sorts of flights, had to cut around 25 lbs, hadn't been in camp.......

He's a risk-taker who lost to a guy who wouldn't risk crossing the road unless there was a traffic warden there. And even then he'd probably foot-stomp the poor f*cker 73 times before looking both ways.

Fans see it for what it is. He took a shot and missed, but he was freerolling. His next fight will be a draw and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a rematch.

Aldo by KO/TKO
    He amount he cut seems to be growing by the day.

He performed exactly was expected. Any fans of the sport will understand.
    However, any casual fans tuning in for the hype of a big fight. After seeing maybe his KO of Askren, and the match with Dias, will look at that fight negatively. They either won't know or won't understand the short notice aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Esse85 wrote: »
    He had 6 days notice, travelled to another continent to fight, lost 22 pounds in that time. Lasted the 5 rounds.

To say he "performed terribly" taking the true facts above into consideration is absolute ridiculous.

Those are explanations/excuses for why he performed terribly, they don't change the fact that he offered little in the fight after the first round and we watched the BMF let himself be held against the cage and have his toes stood on for literally half the fight.

Yeah sure most dedicated fans can see it for what it was and look past it and all that BMF bullsh*t, but they'll watch everything anyway, now if I'm paying PPV money specifically to see him, then yeah that was terrible

Advertisement