Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 251 - Usman vs Masvidal Sat July 11th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If you had Max winning, fair enough.

But to call that a robbery is ludicrous. The judges were watching the same fight I was anyway.

Volk did nothing in that fight. Max controlled the ring the entire time, kept him under pressure. Volk's takedowns went nowhere, Max easily dealt with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Coming out to the Scarface music!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Volk did nothing in that fight. Max controlled the ring the entire time, kept him under pressure. Volk's takedowns went nowhere, Max easily dealt with them.

The fight is scored by round.

What score did you have it?

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Let's go Street Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Mellor wrote: »
    Ok, what is your alternative intelligent way of defending from there?

Obviously not getting into that position is optimal.

What are you talking about? There is no defence! You can cover your face all you want. When you admit defeat by shelling up like that there's 2 options: ref stops it or by some miracle you stop receiving punches. Doesn't matter how experienced you are if you can't see punches you're not defending them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Yan by Sub
    I have to agree with others, I thought Max took that all day long. Completely controlled the pace, controlled the octogon, 2 knockdowns, never looked in any danger. A close tight fight, but a poor decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

He's hinting towards a 10-8 rule.

Exactly. I thought it was 10-9 anyway without the knockdowns.

He's hinting towards a 10-8 rule.

I understand that. It's classic after-timing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aldo by KO/TKO
    I thought Max had it. But as I said I didn’t round score while watching.
    Anyone saying a robbery either doesn’t understand scoring or is just being dramatic.
    Razor close decision either way.

oyvey wrote: »

I think there should be way more 10-8 rounds.

But thank God we don't have arbitrary 10-8 rounds due to knock downs. That would be farce! The sport is too dynamic for that rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Masvidal to be finished for the first time!. Usman is a fantastic fighter

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Whelo79 wrote: »
    I have to agree with others, I thought Max took that all day long. Completely controlled the pace, controlled the octogon, 2 knockdowns, never looked in any danger. A close tight fight, but a poor decision

I agree, but there's a world of difference between a decision in a close fight going the wrong way compared to what you think and it being a robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Yan by Sub
    Usman, that is all

2u2me wrote: »
    Masvidal to be finished for the first time!. Usman is a fantastic fighter

Or fourth time......

This is how Verdict MMA had it scored anyway......

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCh4KB3Jxpm/?igshid=1xk3sy1pi90mj

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Masvidal is different breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I hope Mas can pull something off.

Aldo by KO/TKO

There is no mandatory 10-8 rule in MMA. Whether you think there should be is irrelevant. The rounds were scored according to the rules of the sport.

There's no way either of those two knock-downs should have turned both those rounds into 10-8s under the rules as they currently stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Masvidal by KO/TKO
    As they say, 'don't give the judge a decision'.

Thought max won Rd 1 & 2, volk Rd 4 & 5.
    Round 3 was either way and I think for very close fights like that, the champ always gets the nod.

Would love Masvidal to win here but just can't see it at all, hopefully another war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Or fourth time......

Do you mean in his career or in the UFC? I think the commentator(bt sports) said he's never been stopped in the UFC

• Advertisement

Aldo by KO/TKO
    What are you talking about? There is no defence! You can cover your face all you want. When you admit defeat by shelling up like that there's 2 options: ref stops it or by some miracle you stop receiving punches. Doesn't matter how experienced you are if you can't see punches you're not defending them.
    There’s 3 basic ways to defend. Move, block or counter. Theres levels to it of course, but it all boils down to those three.
    If you can’t move, and can’t counter. Block is the best option.

You keep saying it’s admitting defeat. But you haven’t offered a better option?
    Repeating that the ref should have stopped it is not the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Yan by Sub
    Latest MMA fight I've watched, better be good

Aldo by KO/TKO
    2u2me wrote: »
    Do you mean in his career or in the UFC? I think the commentator(bt sports) said he's never been stopped in the UFC

He has 3 stoppages on his record. All pre UFC.
    And the TKO was ridiculous, so in reality he’s been subbed twice and never (T)KO’d

Mellor wrote: »
    There’s 3 basic ways to defend. Move, block or counter. Theres levels to it of course, but it all boils down to those three.
    If you can’t move, and can’t counter. Block is the best option.

You keep saying it’s admitting defeat. But you haven’t offered a better option?
    Repeating that the ref should have stopped it is not the point.

3 options, non of which Aldo was able to do, you have to be able to see where punches are coming from to block them. Repeating that the ref should have stopped it is exactly the the point. Should have been stopped a good 100 seconds before the point it was stopped. Like you said "It absolutely should have been stoped earlier." so what's the problem here???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

1-0 Masvidal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Looked to me like Masvidal was backing up a lot in the last minute of round 1. Tiring possibly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Rogan is right about the wrestling. He needs to drag him to the ground, that's where Usman is going to get the advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

There is no mandatory 10-8 rule in MMA. Whether you think there should be is irrelevant. The rounds were scored according to the rules of the sport.

There's no way either of those two knock-downs should have turned both those rounds into 10-8s under the rules as they currently stand.

What I think is irrelevant. Ouch.

Steel toes on Mesvidal :D

• Advertisement

Aldo by KO/TKO
    What I think is irrelevant. Ouch.

In the context of how the fight is scored? Yes, absolutely irrelevant.

Advertisement