Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 251 - Usman vs Masvidal Sat July 11th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

EagerBeaver v Whelo79 a much better barney than Usman v Masvidal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Aldo by KO/TKO
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    EagerBeaver v Whelo79 a much better barney than Usman v Masvidal!

He's lost that fight on several previous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Yan by Sub
    I hate this attitude. The sport is who is the best fighter, that's it. It's a sport, not WWF.

Usman is a beast and Masvidal couldn't stop him.

That seriously wasn't a beast performance. It was tame and safe. I would guess that 60%+ of his strikes were foot stomps and shoulder bumps. He failed on the majority of his takedowns and done little to nothing when he did complete a takedown.

I think Usman is a speciman bit that was not a performance to boast about.

I hate this attitude. The sport is who is the best fighter, that's it. It's a sport, not WWF.

I never said he shouldn't be champion or he isn't the best WW in the world. He absolutely is.

But it's also true that he's as exciting to watch as the 1997 finals of the World Paint Drying Championships.

It's not illegal to enjoy exciting fights you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Masvidal by KO/TKO
    hawaii501 wrote: »
    Would love nothing more than Street Jesus breaking Usman face with a knee! Usman is a great fighter but just I can't warm to him for some reason but think he wins on pts. He is probably top 3 p4p for me.

I think volk wins against Holloway on pts. Think this will be fight of the night.

Yan v Aldo, I think Yan takes this in the 2nd round.

Should be a great night of fights.

Predicted the 3 outcomes, only wrong round in Yan fight :)

Why did I add in oezdimir in my bet, didn't even other watching the fight!

• Advertisement

Yan by Sub

That seriously wasn't a beast performance. It was tame and safe. I would guess that 60%+ of his strikes were foot stomps and shoulder bumps. He failed on the majority of his takedowns and done little to nothing when he did complete a takedown.

I think Usman is a speciman bit that was not a performance to boast about.

Yan by Sub
    He's lost that fight on several previous occasions.

Ha, I've never argued with you before because I wouldn't waste my time on a bag of air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

When you're asking for rules that don't exist to be applied? Yes, absolutely. It's not a matter of opinion.

No. Just seems like those knockdowns should hold more weight. You can object to a rule or to how it's applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Masvidal must have taken 120 toe stomps, that could have been enough to win the fight alone. Slight anticlimax but what do expect from a fighter who stepped in with 6 days notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

How much does that damage Masvidals stock? Does normal order resume for him now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

oyvey wrote: »
    How much does that damage Masvidals stock? Does normal order resume for him now?

His stock went up in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Masvidal by Sub
    Usman reminds me of GSP completely shuts downs oppenants makes it his fight. Extremely boring but effective. Don't see anyone take belt off him maybe a high level bjj of his back other than that he's keeping it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Usman is a worse watch than Khabib.....leans on his opponent for 5 mins a round against the fence ..............even leans on his trainer during the breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yan by KO/TKO
    Goddamn EA cover course!!

Beaming for Rose but that was some battle, she's tough as nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Volkanovski by Sub
    Usman is so good at what he does but so so boring to watch. Jorge shown up as the journeyman he is.

Also Aldos post USADA record. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ribas and Namajunas both looked really good.
    Title fight for Rose v Zhang should be next and will be great.
    Amanda should get a top 5 opponent next.

Aldo looked much better than I expected the first couple of rounds but Yan just had too much. Him vs Aljo next should also be epic.

Max definitely won the first two rounds. Alex won the last two. The middle round is the debate but I scored it for Max and thought he won. He looked much better during the fight and Alex got out of jail big time. He has to go to 155 now surely.

The main event was a damp squib. Jorge looked good in round one but he emptied the gas tank there. Had nothing to offer after that. Taking the fight on six days doesn’t look like such a good idea in hindsight. So disappointed with it.
    Usman was poor after a great last fight vs Colby. He did zero damage and the wet blanket style on the cage and ground is not too easy on the eye. He played it safe and kept his belt though so it’s up to someone to come up with a strategy to beat him.

Aldo's done. Had no business getting a title shot coming off 4 losses in 6 and looking pretty poor.
    Thought Holloway was a pretty clear 48-47 but always dangerous letting judges have a say. The first as a whole he was clearly better, round-by-round just about. Where does he go from here?
    Main event was as expected.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Max definitely won the first two rounds. Alex won the last two. The middle round is the debate but I scored it for Max and thought he won. He looked much better during the fight and Alex got out of jail big time. He has to go to 155 now surely.

Who does?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Who does?

Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That last minute plus of unnecessary damage that Aldo had to take on the canvas was hard to watch. Ref was out to lunch.

I had Max by 3 rounds to 2. Think he was a but unlucky there.

I thought the main event would be dull and it was. Especially with Masvidal having no gas tank due to having no training camp. He was tired by the end of the first so did well to reach the end even though Usman never really tried to finish the fight. Usman is very good but painfully boring. He just clinches up against the fence and throws body shots or foot stomps. Throws in the odd takedown and then just stays on top on the ground and throws rabbit punches from the top. Very effective but very dull. He's such a good wrestler though that he'll be very hard to beat.

• Advertisement

Just rewatched Max v Alex

1) Max, clearly

2) Max

3) Closer than I remember. I had Max originally but it's very close! 10-10 in an ideal world but it's a real toss up.

4) Alex, but again but closer than I remember. I thought Alex took it clearly last night but it was closer than I remember.

5) Alex.

Either way, very close fight. Not a robbery in any way!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And even if round 3 was a 10-10, which it probably should’ve been, the result is essentially the same as Volk retains with a draw. Robbery talk is utter nonsense alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yan by Sub
    Seems to be a lot of people posting who've never seen a pre-Covington Usman fight before. That's what the guy does. Grinds it out. It's not pretty but it's effective. 4/9 on him winning that fight, especially given the circumstances of the short notice call up for Masvidal, was great value.

Aldo did better than I expected but I think it's time for him to give up now. He's taken some dreadful beatings in the last few years and all the weight cuts can't be good for his long term health either. Hopefully that division will involve some meritocratic title fights now although I'm sure the UFC will still manage to get another of their undeserving, favourites a title shot soon.

Tough beat for Holloway. I reckon he won it but after losing twice in a row he won't be fighting for the title any time soon. His one foray into lightweight wasn't great either. I guess he'll just have to start fighting some of the other up and comers at FW.

Yan by Sub
    Just remembered there: Did anyone catch Jon Anik in the post-fight interview telling Volkanovski to "Go and enjoy those little girls"? He could probably have phrased that a little better!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Sorry DP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

That last minute plus of unnecessary damage that Aldo had to take on the canvas was hard to watch. Ref was out to lunch.

I had Max by 3 rounds to 2. Think he was a but unlucky there.

I thought the main event would be dull and it was. Especially with Masvidal having no gas tank due to having no training camp. He was tired by the end of the first so did well to reach the end even though Usman never really tried to finish the fight. Usman is very good but painfully boring. He just clinches up against the fence and throws body shots or foot stomps. Throws in the odd takedown and then just stays on top on the ground and throws rabbit punches from the top. Very effective but very dull. He's such a good wrestler though that he'll be very hard to beat.

Totally agree with all this.

Ref did a bad job at the end of the Aldo fight, Chael sonnen made a good point about it saying when a fighter curls up like that and can't see where the blows are coming from and is not looking to get back to his feet, it's basically a sign to the referee to come and end the fight as a fighters ego will prevent them from tapping out.

https://youtu.be/euojZFS4J7I

I think looking back, Aldo should of went up to 155 rather than dropping down. It's too late now and with such a competitive 135 division, I'm not sure where he goes from here.

I was suprised Jorge was so disappointed with his performance in the post fight interview, I think he did incredibly well given the fact he'd 6 days notice and travelled to another continent while shedding 22 lbs to make weight. He had a major mountain to climb, but done better than many before him with full training camps.

The Max and Alex fight was very even and could of went either way, I do feel when a championship fight is that close, the champion gets the decision the vast majority of time. I don't think Alex gets the credit he deserves and secondly I'm not sure what Max does from here, stay in the division or consider 155 again and give that another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, I thought Max just shaded it too. But, I guess you gotta win convincingly to get the belt as the challenger. I really don't know where he goes from here. I don't think he'd fare well at 155 with his fighting style with his reach. He's more of a volume fighter than a power puncher and he'd find it difficult to land against the bigger guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

We seen what happened when he went to 155, he lost.
    145 is probably his best bet but does cut a nice bit to make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Masvidal is as tough as nails, you hit him and he barely registers it but as expected Usman was too big and powerful for him. Really easy for Usman that fight was. Have to wonder who will take that belt off him, he's a monster.

I get sex sells but surely that's it for Van Zandt, she has no business in the UFC. She do well in the WWE with no risk of damaging her pretty face.

Advertisement