Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 season start - Austria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Any driver finishing 90% of the Laps will be classified. So if they get to lap 64 in Austria they're classified.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Was every one of the 9 retirements today due to mechanical or electronic failure of same kind in the cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

coulthard embarrasing himself on c4 backing up hamilton. its clear cut albon was ahead and hamilton didnt change his line so not to hit him. it should be a stop go in my opinion. dangerous driving

this is ruining races. max did it on charles last year too

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Was every one of the 9 retirements today due to mechanical or electronic failure of same kind in the cars?

Max Verstappen - electrical failure
    Daniel Riccardo - cooling problem caused overheating
    Lance Stroll - engine trouble
    Kevin Magnussen - brake failure right front wheel
    Romain Grosjean - brake issues
    George Russel - car failure unknown
    Kimi Raikkonen - front right wheel came off
    Alex Albon - forced to retire after collision
    Daniel Kvyat - puncture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

^^^ I think Brundle mentioned the Williams had an issue with fuel pressure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Alex Albon - forced to retire after collision

The collision seemed to have little to do with his car failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That was like an opening race from the 90's.

Loved it. I want a season like this in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Gintonious wrote: »
    That was like an opening race from the 90's.

Loved it. I want a season like this in my life.

Was it though only a small fraction of the race being exciting?

Don’t get me wrong I’ll take it over a full 70 lap borefest but it was badly gripping from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Was it though only a small fraction of the race being exciting?

Don’t get me wrong I’ll take it over a full 70 lap borefest but it was badly gripping from the start.

Hamilton didn't win, and it's not a Mercedes 1-2

That alone makes it exciting enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Wow. That was some race result. Fair play to LeClerc & Norris on getting a podium today. Both of them deserve it for doing some great driving.

It was quite interesting to note that Mercedes, Ferrari & McLaren were the only cars on the podium today that did not have any retirements being given to their other drivers in the race as opposed to the other teams who had retirements left, right & centre. The final outcome was absolutely nuts. Hamilton, Sainz & Vettel had all finished with gaining points for these teams on the podium in which I thought was a great result under the circumstances. I don't know if that outcome has happened before on the 1st race of the season's calendar from past races?

The race today had absolutely everything that you had ever wanted in a season opener as a F1 fan. It was exciting, it was intense, it was all just absolutely brilliant.

And my god...the amount of retirements to see in it today was very large to observe overall.

You had tyres flying around the track (although not intentional obviously ;)), you had engines failures and lots of break failures due to the very warm weather taking place on the track today. The heat of the warm weather certainly could have a big factor in Red Bull being the biggest losers of today's race. If the warm weather was around again for next weekend's race; Could Red Bull's cars have a chance to fail under the heat at the track once more?

And nothing really has changed for Renault & Williams from today's race either sadly. They still have the same problems to encounter with their engines in their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Hamilton is 100% at fault for Mercedes not getting a clean sweep throughout the weekend, not complaining though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Hamilton is 100% at fault for Mercedes not getting a clean sweep throughout the weekend, not complaining though.

If Albon got by him he could have really challenged Bottas, he was on softs albeit used ones

The race ended up being a lot more interesting that it looked after Max went out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Sort of I suppose. Kind of. Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

This is how low standards have dropped in the hybrid era. No need for any actual quality racing, just a completely dominant procession for 90% of the race followed by a late safety car and then a bad move from Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Would it not have made sense for Hamilton to take the lead from Bottas after the penalty to try and make up the 5 seconds? It seemed at one stage he was pushing for that but then bakced off? Were they too worried about the gearbox/sensor issues maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

If Albon got by him he could have really challenged Bottas, he was on softs albeit used ones

The race ended up being a lot more interesting that it looked after Max went out anyway

I agree, what we’ll never know though was Albon’s retirement connected to being spun by Hamilton. The boy could have won his first race in any event.

Would it not have made sense for Hamilton to take the lead from Bottas after the penalty to try and make up the 5 seconds? It seemed at one stage he was pushing for that but then bakced off? Were they too worried about the gearbox/sensor issues maybe?

several facters at play

they want to keep bottas sweet. leaving him the win will be great for his confidence

merc know they have a dominant car so dont need those points for hamilton

they dont want to piss off anymore fans by doing crap like that in the first race

bad pr

it would look very bad to have hamilton still get second after ruining another drivers race

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Let's just admire the top part of the table for at least this week...

Results
    Pos|Driver|Pts
    1|V. Bottas| 25
    2|C. Leclerc|18
    3|L. Norris|16
    4|L. Hamilton|12
    5|C. Sainz Jr. |10

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think Austria should be the opening race of every season from now on. So much better than Melbourne even if the first part was a bit boring. The whole race in Australia would have been boring.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The penalising of Hamilton was harsh, I thought. It was a rash move by Albon. Horner's claim that he "had got the job done" when the collision occurred is ludicrous. The Red Bull was less than half a car length ahead at that point and Lewis did nothing more than defend his position. A more experienced driver than Albon would have bided his time and waited for a clearer opportunity to overtake particularly as it appeared the Red Bull was the faster car at that stage of the race.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    The penalising of Hamilton was harsh, I thought. It was a rash move by Albon. Horner's claim that he "had got the job done" when the collision occurred is ludicrous. The Red Bull was less than half a car length ahead at that point and Lewis did nothing more than defend his position. A more experienced driver than Albon would have bided his time and waited for a clearer opportunity to overtake particularly as it appeared the Red Bull was the faster car at that stage of the race.

it was front wheel to rear wheel contact so 75% ahead if not more.
    either way he was along side or ahead and there should have been room left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

The opening was boring but the result was exciting. It is a little empty though. Most are happy because the favourite didn't win and therefore it was unpredictable. But Hamilton's penalties had a huge impact. Ok, they were most likely deserved but it's not the same as decided 100% on the track

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That job was done by Albon. Honestly Hamilton shows his rustiness of racecraft when he is not in front. A handful of times that he wasnt in front he's ended up doing similar crap (aside from Brazil). When you look back pre-hybrid he has a history of it. Boy he is fast, but nobody is perfect really (except Raik <3)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its alright to say albon should have bided his time but really adter a restart he had a lap or two to make hay as the others struggled to get their used hard tyres up to temp so while he wohld have been on the better tyres anyway, those initial laps were the ones to male his moves and win the race.
    Id but the incident itself down to racing incident as hamilton could do little to tighten his line at that point id say.
    Not impressed with Hamiltons comment after the race re taking the knee at the start claiming those drivers that didnt show a lack of understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

AMKC wrote: »
    I think Austria should be the opening race of every season from now on. So much better than Melbourne even if the first part was a bit boring. The whole race in Australia would have been boring.

That'd be lovely, although I have a strong suspicion March isn't exactly a scorcher of a month in Styria. But you know, if rain mixes races up, potential snow is gonna be a riot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Hamilton did absolutely nothing there. And I've no love for him whatsoever.

Albon attempted a move that physics was never going to allow.

No, if a driver is going into a corner on a defensive line(like Hamilton was), they should at least keep that line through and out of the corner if they cant see the other car in their mirrors.

And Albon was in front of him by a wheel, so Ham obviously would not have seen him behind, and should therefore presumed he was alongside, and given more room on the exit of the corner.

Poor racecraft/situational awareness by Hamilton imo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The penalising of Hamilton was harsh, I thought.

I think you will find that the majority of F1 fans will disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

https://mobile.twitter.com/TommyWTF1/status/1279851277258764295

Norris coached and pushed for the last lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    That'd be lovely, although I have a strong suspicion March isn't exactly a scorcher of a month in Styria. But you know, if rain mixes races up, potential snow is gonna be a riot :D

March is still good for skiing and snowfall then is not unheard of.
    Australia with low reliability gets also exciting, Austria with its high full throttle percentage and sausage kerbs shake all deficiency out of cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Harika wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TommyWTF1/status/1279851277258764295

Norris coached and pushed for the last lap.

It was a fantastic lap and was delighted to see him get on the podium but I don't like to hear a driver being coached around a lap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement