Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 season start - Austria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

What a race. Gonna have to watch back again on C4 later, not often you want to do that with a F1 race! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I am a bad bad bad person - I laughed like I was watching a comedy when Albon and Hamilton pretty much re-enacted Interlagos 2019. Strong vibes of the "thing" he had going on with Massa a few years ago.

But sorry for Alex, I think he would've had a solid shot at the win without the contact (yet, his car gave up the ghost anyway, so who knows).

Leclerc pulled the biggest "submarine drive" I've seen since Jenson Button retired. Never really in the race at the front, but somehow managed to get a achieve a solid result out of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Hamiltons penalty is a sham

Coulthard once said the punishment should always fit in with the consequences for the other driver.

Maybe it should but it almost never does, Albon wasn't going to get his 2nd place back no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Hamiltons penalty is a sham

Coulthard once said the punishment should always fit in with the consequences for the other driver. I think it was when Hamilton was punted off the track by someone who got a 10 second penalty. Will be interesting to see his opinion tonight on CH4 highlights

Johnny Herbert agrees with me.

Hamilton held his line turning right through the entire corner, huge G pushing both cars to the outside through the corner.

If Albon hadn't clipped Hamilton, he would've run out of track at that speed and lateral G anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Larbre34 wrote: »

Hamilton held his line turning right through the entire corner, huge G pushing both cars to the outside through the corner.

If Albon hadn't clipped Hamilton, he would've run out of track at that speed and lateral G anyway.

Albon was in front. Move was done. 5 seconds penalty is a sham, should have been harsher IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I am a paid up F1TV subscriber and it didn't work - anyone in the same boat? They are probably working from home but if the service isn't delivered there should be compensation. Sounded like a great race.

Wait - isn't F1TV just for "replays"? I see nowhere mentioning you can follow the races live...am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    The track is in a beautiful location.

It is thats for sure, was there in 2014?? when it came back to the calander, place was absolutely jammers then but visited the track on the 4 days of the event walked all round it and yeah its a great location. The heat can be unreal but you get cold beer on tap all over the place unlike Monza :rolleyes:

What a race over all though yeah a bit boring for some of it but nearly half the grid out is crazy.

The Albon/Hamilton incident is about 70 Hamilton /30 Albon IMO maybe even more Hamilton but defo not 100% Hamilton, gutted for Albon though same thing basically same driver in what the space of 3 races. If he waited he most likey would of taken him within a lap or so, provided his engine didnt crap out. The guy will get a podium just a case of when lets hope he doesnt end up like Hulk :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jaapbond

Careful now.

Why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Time to do away with time penalties. Drive-thru or stop & go only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Lads you're assuming Mercedes won't appeal the Hamilton penalty.....

In race penalties cannot be appealed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Time to do away with time penalties. Drive-thru or stop & go only.

5 seconds should be reserved for pit lane speeding and other minor infractions. If you take someone out of the race you should be properly penalised for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Penalties and reliability are the only way Hamilton will be stopped from winning another championship. Hopefully more of the same next week.
    Everything looks up for grabs behind the Mercs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Hamilton clipped Albon, Albon was in front driving right to the track line, Hamilton came across and clipped him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

17larsson wrote: »
    Penalties and reliability are the only way Hamilton will be stopped from winning another championship. Hopefully more of the same next week.
    Everything looks up for grabs behind the Mercs

Penalties don't happen in a vacuum. He failed to keep his car on the track in his first qualifying lap. He ignored a yellow flag on his second qualifying lap. He and his team were caught napping in the race, didn't switch to soft tyres when most others did, and then he chose to punt off a faster driver on new tyres who had just overtaken him cleanly.

But yes, in that car, repeated unforced mistakes that get penalised are the only thing that will stop him winning the title in 2020 and 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Usually a sign that your wrong :pac:

LOL, I dont know what he adds to the coverage apart from buffoonery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

christy c wrote: »
    LOL, I dont know what he adds to the coverage apart from buffoonery.

Yep that sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

quokula wrote: »
    Penalties don't happen in a vacuum. He failed to keep his car on the track in his first qualifying lap. He ignored a yellow flag on his second qualifying lap. He and his team were caught napping in the race, didn't switch to soft tyres when most others did, and then he chose to punt off a faster driver on new tyres who had just overtaken him cleanly.

But yes, in that car, repeated unforced mistakes that get penalised are the only thing that will stop him winning the title in 2020 and 2021.

Yes hopefully he is not as focused this year and Bottas can capitalise on that. The shorter season might help with that as well as every point dropped is a big blow.

Very hard to predict the rest of the field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Wait - isn't F1TV just for "replays"? I see nowhere mentioning you can follow the races live...am I missing something?

Those of us not living in Ireland have the option to stream the race legally via F1TV

Well I’m sure glad about my lack of will power and last minute subscription to sky sports.

I’m delighted for Norris, he’s such a likable lad. Gutted for Riccardo but if McClaren keep doing what they’re doing, it’s hopefully a sign of a great move next season.

And Latifi came 11th, in a Williams! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Should we keep discussing next weeks race here or should we start a new thread for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Must say the reveal at the end that Norris had finished behind Hamilton by 4.8 seconds and thus got 3rd was classic nail-biting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    New thread please. I cant wait to lock this one

I suggest you just get locked and let the other mods worry about it.

Last 10 laps were good but other than that it was pants, not even a decent round of pit stops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Must say the reveal at the end that Norris had finished behind Hamilton by 4.8 seconds and thus got 3rd was classic nail-biting stuff.

If Sainz hadn't tried to fight his teammate for position they both could have finished ahead of Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The real winner this weekend was motorsport fans across the globe.

The F3 and F2 were a great appetiser to the F1 race we were all absolutely foaming at the gash for.

The last 10 laps made up for the first 60 boring ones. I’ll take that any day of the week.

So happy it’s back. Roll on next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Any word on Alfa Romeo? If it turns out that was a wheel nut failure then that should mean Kimi goes to the back of the grid next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Great end to a race . not quality driving just the whole anything can happen thing . Good for Lando norris and Mclaren to grab the podium and fastest lap right at the death .

what ever about everything else that happened we surely can all agree that Romain Grosjean mixed up his race weeks ....Rally Cross is in 2 weeks time .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Can't see Alfa being far away from the back of the grid anyway.
    Giovanazzi drove a good race and so far keeps Kimi at bay.
    Bottas performed well, Leclerc outperformed the car and Norris as I mentioned before did Great positive pr during the lockdown, well deserved Podium. Gasly good performance and so annoyed for albon, could have won that.
    Looking forward to next week as fundamentally not much is going to change on the cars and we can look forward to high attrition again. Only 11 finishers, need to look it up when it was the last time so few finished

• Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Harika wrote: »
    Can't see Alfa being far away from the back of the grid anyway.
    Giovanazzi drove a good race and so far keeps Kimi at bay.
    Bottas performed well, Leclerc outperformed the car and Norris as I mentioned before did Great positive pr during the lockdown, well deserved Podium. Gasly good performance and so annoyed for albon, could have won that.
    Looking forward to next week as fundamentally not much is going to change on the cars and we can look forward to high attrition again. Only 11 finishers, need to look it up when it was the last time so few finished

Germany 2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

pjohnson wrote: »
    Germany 2019

14 finished then was it? When was it last as low as 11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

14 finished then was it? When was it last as low as 11?

After checking Gasly didnt finish but was classified 14th anway (same way Kvyat and Albon are classified today)

My mistake was I thought this was the race Renault got DSQ'd from but it wasnt, it was the Alfa's got a time penalty so actually 13 finishers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement