Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

F1 season start - Austria

1121314151618»

Comments

• geotrig wrote: »
    It doesn't happen a lot but when i saw that the other day the crash ,it reminded me of a thought i had before that may have no basis or anything behind it.

I think Hamiltion is an exceptional smooth driver when out in front and it shows how good a driver he is ,but there's always a but ,when he is struggling for pace or being pushed like with Albon there ,he collides or tips off the other drivers a lot maybe its no different to any other driver overall but stands out as he is mostly in front ,I have in my head Vettel is similar also but not as smooth a driver overall, maybe that's just the Ferrari though

The main difference is when Vettel does it he spins, when Hamilton does it, Albon spins :)

• ELM327 wrote: »
    I watched the onboard on youtube of the last 2 laps with Norris.
    They are essentially driving the car through the data vicariously. Madness.

He was given a few pointers to up the performance of the car to gain the time needed for a surprise podium

I had no problem with what Norris was given, it's not like he was told how to enter and exit every corner (except on final lap that there was debree from Kvyat's retirement)

• He was given a few pointers to up the performance of the car to gain the time needed for a surprise podium

I had no problem with what Norris was given, it's not like he was told how to enter and exit every corner (except on final lap that there was debree from Kvyat's retirement)
    He should know it himself though, given how highly he is regarded amongst some (i dont share that).

He should know it himself though, given how highly he is regarded amongst some (i dont share that).

It's not the knowing to do it, but how much he can do it where the engineer is needed. I can't imagine it's something they'd have planned for, it's not normal circumstances in fairness

• So you're telling me a driver in f1 needs to be told how to drive the car at max speed?

• Advertisement

• But it's not max speed in a normal conditions, I'm assuming it's above what's normally used in race conditions

• But it's not max speed in a normal conditions, I'm assuming it's above what's normally used in race conditions

Also, he still had to hit the brake zones and apex all while going faster than he would have in the race. You often hear drivers telling race engineers to stop talking while they are concentrating, there is a reason for that.
    He had to concentrate harder because he was going faster, recieve and perform the instructions given to him over the radio and control the adrenaline of possibly making a podium after Hamiltons penalty.

To me that alone signifies a phenomenal drive before you even consider the race he had to be within 5 seconds of Hamilton anyway.

• Hijpo wrote: »
    Also, he still had to hit the brake zones and apex all while going faster than he would have in the race

From playing the F1 game, I can't tell you the amount of times I've gone flying past a corner because I my braking point wasn't in the normal point because I had the extra speed from DRS

Now they're also the sorts of things I'd expect Norris to adjust to, if the engineer was telling to brake at 80 for T3 instead of 70 then it would be coaching a bit too much

I'm pretty sure he knows pressing the overtake button makes the car go faster. He's at the mercy of the team as to how much he can use it given the current state of the power unit and energy store.

This is nothing to do with the driver, it's just one of the many problems with the current engine formula.

• quokula wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he knows pressing the overtake button makes the car go faster. He's at the mercy of the team as to how much he can use it given the current state of the power unit and energy store.

This is nothing to do with the driver, it's just one of the many problems with the current engine formula.

The team know how much energy is available, when it gives the best bang for buck being deployed etc. They were just communicating this to him so he could get the most out of his lap.

• Advertisement

• https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-complex-gearbox-issues-austria/4828353/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-6
    Mercedes has admitted that it is facing a "complex problem" in trying to solve its Formula 1 gearbox issues ahead of this weekend’s Styrian Grand Prix.

No quick fix on the horizon for Merc it seems, should be another sketchy weekend for them.

• Gintonious wrote: »

With likely rain on Saturday and possible surprise showers on Sunday will be good. Opened race thread btw

• Hopefully they can both finish off the podium at a minimum, maybe Ferrari's upgrades can make them competitive

• Hopefully they can both finish off the podium at a minimum, maybe Ferrari's upgrades can make them competitive

Engine development is locked until 2021, I don't think all the aero improvements in the world can compensate for the dog of an engine they have after the FIA ruling.

• Inquitus wrote: »
    Engine development is locked until 2021, I don't think all the aero improvements in the world can compensate for the dog of an engine they have after the FIA ruling.

Based on a slow Haas and Alfa Romeo it probably is engine related so you're right there

Still hoping against hope for an improvement from them

• We should let them cheat again with the engine..

But we all know Merc turn down the engine after 5 laps and walk it.

Even with the dodgy engine, they were never able to win that much.

1. ELM327 wrote: »
      I watched the onboard on youtube of the last 2 laps with Norris.
      They are essentially driving the car through the data vicariously. Madness.

I can only assume you've never raced a car around a track. Otherwise you'd know how silly that statement is.

2. Gintonious wrote: »

It says a lot that a weekend where they qualified miles ahead of everyone by miles, were running away with the race, and would have comfortably scored a 1 - 2 and lapped half the field if not for a safety car, is considered a sketchy weekend that they need to find fixes to their car for.

3. I can only assume you've never raced a car around a track. Otherwise you'd know how silly that statement is.
      I have done karting and track days.
      I'm no schumacher (none of us are) but I'm familiar with driving a car fast in a track.

Not sure what that's to do with anything?

4. ELM327 wrote: »
      I'm familiar with driving a car fast in a track.

Skalectrics? :-D

"You need to pull the trigger"

"Stop coaching me!"

:-)

5. Advertisement

6. afatbollix wrote: »
      We should let them cheat again with the engine..

But we all know Merc turn down the engine after 5 laps and walk it.

Even with the dodgy engine, they were never able to win that much.

I agree feck it. It made the last few seasons more exciting. Imagine how dull they would have been if the Ferrari was as crap as it is this year. Its not just Ferrari its Haas and Alfa Romeo that are affected too. I wonder is the Alfa team boss regreting not getting Renault engines now.

7. Leclerc being investigated for his COVID breach. What a dope, posting at parties on social media. At least Bottas only went home and stayed there.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement