Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Pence reported now not going to show up tomorrow for certification. The Senate President Pro Tempore will allegedly chair.

https://twitter.com/rollcall/status/1346473050078777356?s=20

I should add that Grassley is an absolute worm of a politician and pushing 90 years old, doesn't care about re-election so what he'll do tomorrow is anyone's call I'd say.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Pence reported now not going to show up tomorrow for certification. The Senate President Pro Tempore will allegedly chair.

If that is true it is an utterly appalling act of spineless obsequience from Pence..

Disgusting.

I should add that Grassley is an absolute worm of a politician and pushing 90 years old, doesn't care about re-election so what he'll do tomorrow is anyone's call I'd say.

Grassley can't/won't do anything , there is no option available to him other than to confirm Bidens election after the pointless debates and votes that the sycophants will trigger.

But him facilitating Pence chickening out so that he can pass some kind of "Trump purity test" is appalling.

##update## - I see in that Twitter thread that there is a reply from Kaitlan Collins from CNN saying that Pences office have said that he will be present in the Senate tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,565 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But at yesterdays rally Trump was stating that Pence would do the right thing on the 6th, he was a great man. Where did this come from of him not even attending the Senate to carry out his constitutional duty?

Don't see how opting out is going to do him much good with the Trump base, which if its true he won't attend is what it is aimed at.

It has been painted that Pence could have the final say, at least in the eyes of Trump supporters. Him not being there is the same as not standing up for Trump.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Grassley can't/won't do anything , there is no option available to him other than to confirm Bidens election after the pointless debates and votes that the sycophants will trigger.
    What he can do is cast further aspersions and give this nonsense the airtime it doesn't deserve. He could also potentially do the opposite and pull a Biden 2017 and just shut it down.

There's no call either way with him, but in the case of the latter (and they're just going to tell the outliers to deal with it and bang the gavel) then it's somewhat shrewd politics from Pence, because he is passing the buck and not having to deal with the Trump supporters (or Trump himself). He'll blame it all on Grassley.

But him facilitating Pence chickening out so that he can pass some kind of "Trump purity test" is appalling.
    Exactly, it's nothing but pure posturing.

##update## - I see in that Twitter thread that there is a reply from Kaitlan Collins from CNN saying that Pences office have said that he will be present in the Senate tomorrow
    I was just looking at that. I'd say it was supposed to be a last-minute announcement (pulling a sickie) and Grassley ruined it either through sheer incompetence (and you can't rule that out in the Trump-Republican Party) or on purpose to drop Pence into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

aloyisious wrote: »
    One has to ask why Ted Cruz is so emphatic in his support of Trump given the public differences between him and Trump in recent and distant past. Has Ted foresworn any loyalty to the GOP voters in the grassroots that actually elected him into office to that he seems to owe to Trump sitting in the Oval Office in Washington after loyal-to-the-US-Constitution voter-elected GOP officials from the grassroots supervised the elections to ensure they were free and fair.

The decision on whether Ted and others have foresworn their oaths of office to the constitution and the citizens in favour of the leavings from Trump's table in the White House as against the future of the democracy they want their children to have full favour and trust in is there for ALL Georgian-state U.S citizen voters to decide on in the next day or so. Vote [in absentia] for a crook or for the democracy the crook wants to swindle the voter out of.

Trump buried Tom Cotton the other day another Trump bootlicker which will seriously hurt any 2024 plans Tom had.

Cruz knows, Trump wakes up in a bad mood and he can do the same with him.

Sessions, Barr, Mattis,Kemp Cotton, Mitch all thought they could control him, but its impossible, the likes of Hailey, Hawley, De Santis no matter how hard they try to placate him the day will come when they will feel his wrath.

Sad. :p

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But at yesterdays rally Trump was stating that Pence would do the right thing on the 6th, he was a great man. Where did this come from of him not even attending the Senate to carry out his constitutional duty?

Don't see how opting out is going to do him much good with the Trump base, which if its true he won't attend is what it is aimed at.
    Pence's team have reportedly been saying to Trump for at least 2 weeks that there is nothing that they can do tomorrow. If he shows up and panders to Trump and still certifies as he's obliged to do, he gets hell from Trump and MAGA-voters. If he refuses to certify, his political career and any ambition he has of being POTUS are gone (they already are, but I'm not sure he knows that).

If he makes a big song and dance about not participating, he annoys Trump but kind of keeps the base more focused on Grassley.
    It has been painted that Pence could have the final say, at least in the eyes of Trump supporters. Him not being there is the same as not standing up for Trump.
    Pence has been trying to distance himself from this though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What he can do is cast further aspersions and give this nonsense the airtime it doesn't deserve. He could also potentially do the opposite and pull a Biden 2017 and just shut it down.

There's no call either way with him, but in the case of the latter (and they're just going to tell the outliers to deal with it and bang the gavel) then it's somewhat shrewd politics from Pence, because he is passing the buck and not having to deal with the Trump supporters (or Trump himself). He'll blame it all on Grassley.

Exactly, it's nothing but pure posturing.

I was just looking at that. I'd say it was supposed to be a last-minute announcement (pulling a sickie) and Grassley ruined it either through sheer incompetence (and you can't rule that out in the Trump-Republican Party) or on purpose to drop Pence into it.

Yeah , maybe Grassley isn't interested in playing stupid games , as you said it's not like he's worried about getting Primaried or whatever by Trumpists - He has already publicly acknowledged Biden as the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Re the Georgia run-off elections, Georgia law applies. Polling stations open at 7A.M. EST and close at 7P.M. Voters in voting queues at that time will be allowed to vote. Ballot counting cannot begin until the polls are closed. This also applies to absentee ballots and mail-in ballots. County election officials, however, are required to begin processing absentee ballots - verifying signatures on the outer envelopes, opening the envelopes and scanning the ballots- before Election Day. Ballots submitted by mail or through drop boxes that are received by 7P.M. Tuesday are eligible to be counted. This is from a New York Post article about the run-off election supervision.

I understand that local officials in the different counties will be involved in the count, along with state officials. I assume that both of the political parties will have their representatives present as OBSERVERS during the count, as with the Nov elections and that the candidates will also have their own people present as well. I don't know what role Sec State Raffenperger will have during the voting and the counting.

It's likely, given the objections raised over the result from the Nov election there, that there will be objections raised to the count result for todays election however closely the officials comply with the state laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What are the bookies saying :):):)

Bookies favour the Dems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Inquitus wrote: »
    Bookies favour the Dems.

They also favored Hillary in 2016, and a no to Brexit, so won't be getting my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This was walked back vociferously

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1346477610491023379?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

L1011 wrote: »
    Prestwick can definitely take the 747; but its quite likely both are prebooked for the rather more important events on the 20th. Anyway, that its for him is still speculation.

Well, if it's for him to play Golf, Nicola Sturgeon says: "Stay home."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/trump-biden-inauguration-scotland-sturgeon-lockdown-b1782602.html

Overheal wrote: »

Now if Grassley would confirm that Pence will preside over the senate reading of the results sent in by the different states while he will be there as the senator for Iowa only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

This is a decent analysis of the potential criminality of the Trump phone call and the possible arguments the defense and prosecution might use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn_9fQRiK9Q&ab_channel=LegalEagle

• Registered Users Posts: 21,527 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is heading in to dangerous territory.

https://twitter.com/PittsburghPG/status/1346540173690101760

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Speaking of dangerous territory and what next, "kill yourselves, the leader demands it as a sign of your virtues and display of loyalty".

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1346540350941310976?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Interpol arrest warrants are a bit like rubber cheques. Anyone can write one. Doesn't mean they have any effect. Bill Browder (Magnitsky sanctions guy) must have collected about a dozen issued by Russia at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

This is heading in to dangerous territory.

https://twitter.com/PittsburghPG/status/1346540173690101760

They've done that before, notably with the former senator Al Franken.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,761 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Even given what’s happened the last four years the next 48 hours maybe the most bizarre and consequential in that time. If the dems win the senate tonight and coupled with the supposedly routine certification of the electoral college by the congress which will be a three ring circus.

If the Democrat party policy, and the policy of other groups, of getting black and young voters registered since the Nov elections was successful with an increase in the numbers in the city/urban areas of Georgia, the work done may be a decisive factor in the run-off elections. The counties usually tied to the parties obviously mean the vote could be tied down there before people started voting today.

Speaking of Nov and the presidential election, Sky documentary channel ran a documentary tonight from 2016 named 537 Votes about the Bush V Gore Florida vote battle. A good few of the senior people are still around, with video footage in the docu of the "Brooks Brothers" riot trying to rush the door of the room where the Miami-Dade board in charge of the count were discussing the recount issue. Roger Stone was large in the docu describing for the video how he was sent down there by the Bush campaign to assist the campaign as the legal battle over the acceptability of the ballot papers was in progress.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/01/05/us/elections/forecast-georgia-senate-runoff.html

Excellent resource for the election results tonight. Quick, easy and digestable on mobile at least.

Washington's Mayor Muriel Bowser yesterday asked for the activation of the DC National Guard to assist the civil authority in keeping civil order in advance of the planned protests in the city by pro-Trump rally supporters and the Pentagon has given the DC national guard clearance to activate and assist the city civil authorities to that end today.

Meantime in Texas, the defender of citizens voting rights publishes this... PRESS RELEASES, STATEMENT
    The Texas GOP Stands for Electoral Integrity
    POSTED 1.02.2021 - by RPT Staff
    Logo of the Republican Party of Texas
    Austin, TX, Release: January 2, 2021. For Immediate Release

The Texas GOP applauds the men and women in the US Senate and House of Representatives who are working to defend the rule of law and to preserve the backbone of our Republic: free, fair, and honest elections.

Below is Chairman Allen West’s statement on the situation:

“The number one legislative priority for the Republican Party of Texas in the 87th Texas Legislative session is election integrity. The Texas GOP stands with members of the US Senate and House of Representatives who are pursuing that issue AND WILL OPPOSE THE ELECTORS OF ARIZONA, GEORGIA, PENNSYLVANIA, MICHIGAN, WISCONSIN AND NEVADA. The list of voting system irregularities, violation of election laws, and unconstitutional actions in these States are irrefutable. Every American should applaud the actions of the Representatives and Senators seeking to preserve the integrity of our electoral system. Their constitutionally-based challenge will ensure our democratic process and Republic are maintained for future generations.”

We are proud that Senator Ted Cruz is leading the charge, but the Texas GOP expects all those who represent Texas or the rule of law to be standing with him, whether they are in the US House or Senate. This is no time for sunshine Patriots.....

Now that's democracy for you.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Even given what’s happened the last four years the next 48 hours maybe the most bizarre and consequential in that time. If the dems win the senate tonight and coupled with the supposedly routine certification of the electoral college by the congress which will be a three ring circus.

But not a supermajority. Unless Dems end the filibuster it will be the 110th congress all over again, with Cruz reading Dr. Suess to shutdown the government and Minority leader Mitch trying to make Biden a one term president.

Overheal wrote: »
    But not a supermajority. Unless Dems end the filibuster it will be the 110th congress all over again, with Cruz reading Dr. Suess to shutdown the government and Minority leader Mitch trying to make Biden a one term president.

Can't they just decide to 'go nuclear' on literally everything they want to pass since McConnell set that precedent 2 or 3 years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

I really hope the Democrats can turn it around. It feels pretty over but I've been wrong before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I really hope the Democrats can turn it around. It feels pretty over but I've been wrong before.

You should go to 538...

DeKalb is about to votedump...

Very likely Blue Districts, particularly in and around Atlanta are yet to declare.

• Advertisement

Can't they just decide to 'go nuclear' on literally everything they want to pass since McConnell set that precedent 2 or 3 years back?

The House apparently already did. https://www.facebook.com/RepJeffDuncan/posts/5377115505639491
    Next up is the Democrat “Rules Package” which sets the stage on House procedures to move their far-left agenda in the 117th Congress. The new rules break all historical precedent by completely silencing the minority party and eliminating any chance of amending a bill on the floor during the vote. This was NOT done with Republicans in the majority. But now – their agenda is as radical as it has ever been – and they need to silence millions of Americans in order to ram through their dangerous proposals. They are shutting down the legislative process and Members of Congress from representing their constituents.

My Congressmen is pissed about it and I couldn't be more delighted for him. edit: ooh he posted a salty WSJ opinion about it too https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-pelosi-rules-11609792916?reflink=desktopwebshare_twitter&fbclid=IwAR3RYutlntNqx0aRANxxAWs62kEWwzHQ9Cu7WmZubIVdNxa0SmK8nHCItgE. Savory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement