Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan banned from twitter for questioning "trans ideology"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is this Andrew Renko from that American cop TV show that came up in my search? I hope not, considering it says he's also a redneck. A redneck cop. Sounds racist. Are you racist Andrew?

Would this be a good time for you to meet my partner, Bobby Hill?

140425122854-hill-street-renko-hill-story-top.jpg

Both of them are fictional characters, btw - unlike the charming Mr Crowder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Is this Andrew Renko from that American cop TV show that came up in my search? I hope not, considering it says he's also a redneck. A redneck cop. Sounds racist. Are you racist Andrew?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

'I'm not racist, I've a black friend'. Sounds racist to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

and this, comparing young adult men, women, and elite female athletes

Men have plenty more practice with grip strength than women too though... :D

Well, some women do have considerable grip strength now I think on that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

LLMMLL wrote: »
    https://www.finewoodworking.com/2013/05/05/curved-surfaces-in-sketchup

So I assume this is not a table even though it's described as such as it does not have a flat surface?

Was the creator of this piece of furniture mistaken in calling it a table?

No. its not a working table. If you create a television made of soup, pins and bubblegum that doesnt work or look like a television, that is also not a television.

Words clearly have meaning, or nobody would understand anybody.

• Advertisement

Why are we even talking about someone from some unknown obscure place in the world that is not Ireland? You really had to dredge around to get that foreign username, didn't ya, didn't ya? :D

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Why are we even talking about someone from some unknown obscure place in the world that is not Ireland? You really had to dredge around to get that foreign username, didn't ya, didn't ya? :D

I don't know why we're talking it about tbh, you brought it up. Why would you ask me why we're talking about something that you brought up?

I suppose the difference that you might be missing is that I'm not taking life lessons from the experiences to Andy Renko and applying them to Ireland.

'I'm not racist, I've a black friend'. Sounds racist to me.

It's a while since I've rewatched Hill St Blues, but my memories were that he wasn't racist. So it looks like you've got the wrong end of the stick here.

The comparison between women and women does not matter. The comparison that matters is between men and women.

And you can absolutely talk of the average amongst those who are elite. Elite male sportsmen are superior (on average) then elite female sportspeople. The only sport I'm aware that this is may not be the case is ultra long distance running, think I read that somewhere but I'd have to check.

Why not? Because it doesn’t suit your argument? Why can we not compare like with like? Isn’t that the factor on which your argument hinges?

You want to make it about biology then let’s do that and forget the sexes, and then when the biology argument doesn’t suit, you want to bring it back to talking about the sexes?

Seems like you want it every which way now at this stage yourself really, which is understandable, and means at least that you can understand why people who disagree with you would want everything their own way too. Seems fair that nobody has everything their own way and everyone have to make compromises for the benefit of the development of the sport given the enormous sums of money and politics involved.

NO. YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME VIEWS OF THE GUY WHOSE NAME YOU JUMBLED UP FOR YOUR USERNAME. THAT’S THE RULE.

But what does your username indicate ODB? :confused:

Mine is because I wanted loads of other names and all of them were taken and I was just putting in random words at the end and when it accepted i couldn't even remember what I put in and I was like ffs when it said Welcome to Boards Gruffalox :(

But is suppose it means I am a mythical hairy monster...

My God! It fits perfectly!

B57160A1-1873-48B5-9D28-FD5C9A4B6F91.gif

I don't know why we're talking it about tbh, you brought it up. Why would you ask me why we're talking about something that you brought up?

I suppose the difference that you might be missing is that I'm not taking life lessons from the experiences to Andy Renko and applying them to Ireland.

It's a while since I've rewatched Hill St Blues, but my memories were that he wasn't racist. So it looks like you've got the wrong end of the stick here.

Surely you realise we are both being facetious. The point is ones username is irrelevant to the discussion and their political views.

• Advertisement

FVP3 wrote: »
    No. its not a working table. If you create a television made of soup, pins and bubblegum that doesnt work or look like a television, that is also not a television.

Mate don’t ever work with SQL, more tables than you can shake a stick at, joins between tables, dropping tables, updating tables...

Bloody minefield I tells ya :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

and this, comparing young adult men, women, and elite female athletes

col1.jpg

I have a 9 year old son. I have to give my ALL to beat him at an arm wrestle. He’s NINE. I’m in my 40’s. By the time he is a teenager I wouldn’t stand a chance.

I also at one point did a self defence class and when I’d come home I’d practice various self defence moves with my husband. At one point I asked him to grab me and subdue my arms to see if I could get away from his grip. I might as well have been paralysed. It was just not possible.

The strength differential between male and female in most species is HUGE.

Surely you realise we are both being facetious. The point is ones username is irrelevant to the discussion and their political views.

Plus to have reference to somewhere outside your own postal code area is actually allowed.

We might not be super strong but we can do this...dun dun dun :cool:

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1279105121364799488

Beats Paul Daniels pulling a rabbit out of a hat I suppose :D

From the comments under the clip -

Must have a fanny like an empty headlock for that to just drop out surely!?

No, she just has a natural biological advantage that other women do not :p

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1279105121364799488

I saw that the other day, incredible.

What a woman.

I wish all of any of my births were that efficient!

I'm not so sure that the second point is true in all cases.
    Plus to have reference to somewhere outside your own postal code area is actually allowed.
    Just to be clear, there was no question about what anyone was 'allowed' to reference. The questions were about the relevance of the references, and the lack of consistency in the narrow focus on a very small set of issues while ignoring the much larger, much more prevalent issues that have much larger impact on the community that you're supposed to be protecting.

Just to be clear, there was no question about what anyone was 'allowed' to reference. The questions were about the relevance of the references, and the lack of consistency in the narrow focus on a very small set of issues while ignoring the much larger, much more prevalent issues that have much larger impact on the community that you're supposed to be protecting.

That is a rehash of the watery oul guff that you cannot care/speak about x, y or z unless you care/speak about all the things. As Bob recently sang quoting Walt.. "I contain multitudes."

That is a rehash of the watery oul guff that you cannot care/speak about x, y or z unless you care/speak about all the things. As Bob recently sang quoting Walt.. "I contain multitudes."

Right, and by that same standard you cannot expect other people to care about things to the same degree that you do, or even to care about the same things you do at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

FVP3 wrote: »

Forget "working" table.

You are saying that it is not a table and the creator of that piece of furniture and the author of the article discussing that piece of furniture and anyone else who calls it a table are mistaken?

• Advertisement

Again, just to be clear, there was no question of 'you cannot care/speak about' anything.

The simple question was raised about the apparent laser like focus on one particular very narrow issue. It's a bit like obsessing with the paper cut on your right little finger after your left arm has been amputated. It misses the point slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Gentlemanne

I don't know his views on everything. Considering he's an American Conservative I imagine we disagree on abortion, gun ownership, health care, maybe same sex marriage I dunno, cost of education, level of taxation and I don't know what else.

I'm fairly sure you guys totally agree on how to deal with trans people and how to conduct discourse about them. So its not completely random is it

Again, just to be clear, there was no question of 'you cannot care/speak about' anything.

The simple question was raised about the apparent laser like focus on one particular very narrow issue. It's a bit like obsessing with the paper cut on your right hand after your left arm has been amputated. It misses the point slightly.

It's also the complete ignoring of evidence from this jurisdiction. The evidence from other jurisdictions is that issues that arise from self id are INCREDIBLY rare. So rare that they don't even arise in a population of 5 million people.

So what if a transwoman decides she’s a table.........?!?!?

Can. Open. Worms. EVERYWHERE.

:D

It's also the complete ignoring of evidence from this jurisdiction. The evidence from other jurisdictions is that issues that arise from self id are INCREDIBLY rare. So rare that they don't even arise in a population of 5 million people.

They are not incredibly rare. 1 in 10 male travelers in UK prisons seek to abuse self ID to try and avoid male wings. Thats official figures

My focus on this issue is awkward for the people who wish I would shut up, I will give you that. Tough sh1t.

They are not incredibly rare. 1 in 10 male travelers in UK prisons seek to abuse self ID to try and avoid male wings. Thats official figures

My focus on this issue is awkward for the people who wish I would shut up, I will give you that. Tough sh1t.

The UK has self ID? Are you sure?

Do you imagine the staff working in the UK prison services are thick or something? I know men do obviously, but do you? Do you imagine everyone is equally as thick that they cannot see when someone is taking the piss and have their No moment as you suggested earlier?

What would that figure have to do with the legislation anyway? It’s a matter for the prison services to sort out. The figure for people who abuse the law has nothing to do with the figures for people who avail of their rights for their intended purpose.

“Time to do away with marriage legislation for everyone , some people were found to be abusing it” :rolleyes:

The UK has self ID? Are you sure?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/29/record-numbers-transgender-prisoners-transition-men-women/

They don't have self ID officially. But you will have to talk to Peter Clarke, Director of Prisons, who said people "self identifying" as trans in prison are growing in number, and he was not refering to the small number with GR Certs who are statistically measured differently. These are extra that the Minister called self identifying.

The following is a longish thing about GRC trans prisoners versus "case conference" trans prisoners (and the whole sex offender thing). You will see that GRC is not necessary in UK prison to identify as trans. So effectively in practise self ID is feasible.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-42221629

It is a bit complicated but between the two articles you can get a flavour.

Oh well fair enough so. I'll pretend you are a racist and you can pretend I share all of Steven Crowder's political opinions no matter what they are.

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure you guys totally agree on how to deal with trans people and how to conduct discourse about them. So its not completely random is it

How to 'conduct discourse'. What do you mean by that exactly? And what do you mean by deal? I think if one is genuinely trans, and if they are over the age of 18, and it is agreed that having surgery will improve their opinions of themselves and their overall quality of life, then that surgery (or surgeries) should be carried out at a cost to the taxpayer. Is that what Steven thinks, since you seem to know more about his way of 'deal[ing] with trans-people' then I do? I would've thought as a conservative he would not have this view. But who knows (well you seemingly).

And I never said the username was random. I said it may not be the homily to him that some of you seem to believe it is.

Advertisement