Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday: Lightning Storms, Flash Flooding Event Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

This is unusual, you usually are very optimistic. In these situations thunderstorms can occur in places that they aren't necessarily forecasted to. Also with the east forecast to be sunny, with quite warm and humid conditions into this evening, this heating may well storm development later on. It maybe the case that you miss out on seeing lightning in your area, but i'd be confident you'll at least see some in the distance night sky.

Thanks nacho, that gives me a bit of hope for later so. Its certainly 'muggy' enough for activity later so we will see how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Anyone remember 2003 I think in October? Lightning/thunder started from morning and lasted well into the night.

Yes that was in September
    It was fierce here in Arklow but I was at a wedding in Brittany where it was something to behold altogether :D
    Same system causing the storms as in Ireland
    Started at home around 5 and went on untill the small hours
    In Brittany it was just constant forks with the bangs at the same time
    Power was off but ya wouldn't have needed lights

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

A dead heat in Cavan with an occasional light breeze. The sky is very hazy, the kind where you're not sure if you're looking up at cloud cover or sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Why will there be minimal thunder or rain with this lightning, or why do do we usually get thunder and rain with lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

US2 wrote: »
    Why will there be minimal thunder or rain with this lightning, or why do do we usually get thunder and rain with lightning

If we do manage to get some surface-based storms (formed by the land heating up to the required temperature) then we will see rain from this, but the inaudible thunder and no rain applies to elevated storms, i.e. not formed directly by hot air rising from the ground but from some level up high. With these storms the lightning occurs much higher up (i.e. further away) and the thunder gets ducted away from us as it passes down through the warmer layers of the atmosphere (like a reverse mirage). The rain can evaporate as it falls the long distance through the dry low layers to the ground.

A few small cumulus fractus are now forming over the Wicklow mountains.

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »

The lightning will be up at 20 to 30000 ft so even if overhead it will be up to 10 kms away and cloud to cloud adding to its muffling
    You will hear it but it will be distant
    The lightning will be lower if it's raining nearby or at your location
    Gunshots then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭highdef

The cloud base will be very high so the thunder created by cloud to cloud lightning (usually the more common type versus cloud to ground) has a long way to travel. Also, if it's a night time storm the lightning can often appear to be quite close when in fact it's many kilometres away, often so far away that the sound of the thunder does not reach you.

Rain wise, with high based storms the rain sometimes evaporates before it reaches the ground.

You beat me to it, Mortelaro!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Seven Septs

Some models, in fact most now delay storms with heavy rainfall to the early hours of the morning in the east but storms with little or no rainfall prior. This is not actually that unusual with a plume like this - you can have lightning flashing all round and literally no rain reaching the surface. The lightning would be particularly high in elevation but still packs a visual punch.

It's disconcerting at first but it's quite a show all the same.

The last example I can think of was some time in the late 90's but I can't remember the year because I was too young - maybe 97 something like this occurred in Dublin.

If anyone remembers let us know. It was spectacular and very memorable.

You were only a tadpole.

Maybe i'm way out on the year. The lightning was relentless - never seen anything like it before prior but very little rainfall.

Definitely something you'd remember.

Around 24/25 August 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm thinking maybe I am way out on the year.

There is no way a lot of people in Dublin don't remember that.

I'll take it as 2000, Cheers :cool:

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Anyone remember 2003 I think in October? Lightning/thunder started from morning and lasted well into the night.

Remember well. The ground white with hail in Dublin. Looked like a snowfall. Mid October 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Remember well. The ground white with hail in Dublin. Looked like a snowfall. Mid October 2003.

It lasted 3 days! :D

Spectacular event by any standard.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Yes that was in September
    It was fierce here in Arklow but I was at a wedding in Brittany where it was something to behold altogether :D
    Same system causing the storms as in Ireland
    Started at home around 5 and went on untill the small hours
    In Brittany it was just constant forks with the bangs at the same time
    Power was off but ya wouldn't have needed lights

It was October. Go to October 2003 in the archive Met Statements and there's a great pic of Dublin.

https://www.met.ie/climate/past-weather-statements

Mid September had a heatwave in the mid 20s.

I'm thinking maybe I am way out on the year.

There is no way a lot of people in Dublin don't remember that.

I'll take it as 2000, Cheers :cool:

For a write up again go to the archive for August 2000 on the Met site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

For a month as thundery as August 2000, it gets very little mention unfortunately.

A good section on it from the monthly bulletin:

u0Eb7Ch.png

It lasted 3 days! :D

Spectacular event by any standard.

That was a great weather year.

From around 10th March a lovely dry warm spell. It carried into April with temps 21/22C mid April for Easter.

Some hot weather mid to late June. August heatwave and very dry. 1.6mm recorded in old Kilkenny station for the month i think.

Mid September heatwave and warm overall. October lightning and hail in the east mid October.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

24.5°c with a Dewpoint of 20°c in Kildare

pad199207 wrote: »
    24.5°c with a Dewpoint of 20°c in Kildare

I thought the Met Station temps were a bit low to reach 27/28C. You only need another 2.5C to reach 27, very doable.

It was October. Go to October 2003 in the archive Met Statements and there's a great pic of Dublin.

Mid September had a heatwave in the mid 20s.

The one I'm recalling was in 04 I think
    Yeah the October one brought snow to Lugnaquilla

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Chrisht but its heavy.

• Advertisement

I thought the Met Station temps were a bit low to reach 27/28C. You only need another 2.5C to reach 27, very doable.

A lot of the wow stations in leinster are at 24 or 25c atm

Mortelaro wrote: »
    A lot of the wow stations in leinster are at 24 or 25c atm

They seem to have shot up in the last hour. I was going by Met Eireann site where 22C was the max at their official stations at 12pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jaysus lads, who gives a ****e what happened back in 19-- whatever, there's potential this evening! That's what most of us here want to discuss I'd imagine!

Selected 1 pm official temperatures/dewpoints.

Custume Barracks (Athlone) 23/16
    Mount Dillon 23/15
    Dunsany 22/18
    Casement, Moore Park 22/17
    Mullingar, Athenry 22/16
    Gurteen 22/15
    Waterford Airport 21/17
    Dublin Airport 21/16
    Johnstown Castle 20/15

Oak Park is not reporting.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, who gives a ****e what happened back in 19-- whatever, there's potential this evening! That's what most of us here want to discuss I'd imagine!

If you'd lived through July 1985 you'd know...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Radar showing system making contact with Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fairly hefty showers building off the north coast, strikes showing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Fairly hefty showers building off the north coast, strikes showing too.

All for the fishes unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

I'm going with a East Coast event mainly but inland to possibly 150kms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Whats the best app/site for seeing where this is developing etc.

Kerp in mind im a total novice so nothing too complicated

Advertisement