Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Tourist Traps & Scams

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Everyone says mate now in Ireland I'm afraid. Could you enlighten me on the behaviours that we don't do in Dublin that you do in wherever you're from that makes you more Irish?
    I already posted some examples earlier in this discussion. It's well documented that Dublin was the centre from which the British ruled Ireland for centuries and that "Dubs" assimilated their habits much easier than the rest of the country. There's no way I would ever recommend a foreign tourist visit Dublin when most of the rest of the country is so much more representative of Ireland proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Is that why they won the GAA cup or whatever 5 times in a row?

Dubs used to say real dubs dont play GAA, it was seen as an irish thing not a dublin thing, the big sport in the anglo irish areas was rugby, in poor areas it was soccer.

calling a sport by the name of the organisation (GAA) is a real imperialist hangover, the english used to deride irish customs, language and games as backward, that mindset still exists in the pale.
    if you call it football the dubs ask 'do you mean gah'?

they hate the term soccer.

when they go over to old trafford once a year they put on a fake manchester accent.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Is that why they won the GAA cup or whatever 5 times in a row?
    That's mainly thanks to the disproportionate funding Dublin gets from the GAA compared with any other county in the rest of the country. Why? Because the GAA was worried that people from Dublin would prefer to play "foreign" games such as soccer, rugby, cricket etc. It's a perfect illustration of my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I already posted some examples earlier in this discussion. It's well documented that Dublin was the centre from which the British ruled Ireland for centuries and that "Dubs" assimilated their habits much easier than the rest of the country. There's no way I would ever recommend a foreign tourist visit Dublin when most of the rest of the country is so much more representative of Ireland proper.

You mustn't know many people from Dublin, or the rest of the country, because everyone seems pretty much the same to me, with varying accents. And your recommends aren't getting very far because the place overflows with tourists in normal years.
    I think you need to get out more and open your mind a little. Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

ShyMets wrote: »
    Haven't seen him around in while. He approached me a few years ago looking for money and got very aggrieved when I told him to bugger off.

He lives in Drimnagh, I used to see him at the bus stop. He was chatting away on his phone one day at the stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

gourcuff wrote: »
    Dubs used to say real dubs dont play GAA, it was seen as an irish thing not a dublin thing, the big sport in the anglo irish areas was rugby, in poor areas it was soccer.

calling a sport by the name of the organisation (GAA) is a real imperialist hangover, the english used to deride irish customs, language and games as backward, that mindset still exists in the pale.

when they go over to old trafford once a year they put on a fake manchester accent.. :)

To win the All-Ireland 5 times in a row means nothing if one does not use the right words to describe it :pac:

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

Next they'll probably be saying Dublin's many Gaelscoileanna don't teach the right kind of Irish or something.

Incidentally the only place outside actual Gaeltachts that I've ever encountered Irish spoken conversationally in public is in Dublin.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    To win the All-Ireland 5 times in a row means nothing if one does not use the right words to describe it :pac:

Next they'll probably be saying Dublin's many Gaelscoileanna don't teach the right kind of Irish or something.

Incidentally the only place outside actual Gaeltachts that I've ever encountered Irish spoken conversationally in public is in Dublin.

True I hear it among the middle classes of Clontarf and Raheny often. I also went to a Gaelscoil, but I don't think it makes me any more Irish than daoine eile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Them "Dubs" must have robbed your capitals .

There's a few Traveler women who beg in town who are nearly in tears while doing so. Usually around Dawson, Grafton and Wicklow street.
    They actually live quite near me and i see them regularly getting out of taxis with bags of groceries, etc.

Complete chancers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Uber doesn't exist in Ireland.

There are uber-like taxi services in Ireland though. I wouldn't call the name, but I used at least one of them

• Advertisement

Ah kid you completely miss the point.

Dave McWilliams writes about it here, have a little read.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-we-have-witnessed-the-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-isation-of-ireland-1.3674049

Ah kid you completely miss the point.

Dave McWilliams writes about it here, have a little read.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-we-have-witnessed-the-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-isation-of-ireland-1.3674049

I don't think you read the article yourself, beyond maybe skimming the headline over your hang-sandwich, because it's point is the absolute antithesis of your Dublin = British prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Drug addicts going around with a sob story they're pregnant and need money to eat as they're starving....

Yet they're housed, given free travel, welfare money, clinics and other agencies that provide with food and other essential basics.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

If you all can't discuss the topic without making sweeping generalisations or attacking other posters then this thread will be closed. It's an interesting topic, stop derailing it with the above. Thanks.

There's a few Traveler women who beg in town who are nearly in tears while doing so. Usually around Dawson, Grafton and Wicklow street.
    They actually live quite near me and i see them regularly getting out of taxis with bags of groceries, etc.

Complete chancers !

Is that the mother daughter combo that live out in Finglas direction? They've been at it for years, scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Did anyone mention the woman in stephens green who has been trying to get her bus fare together for the last 10 years.

I don't think you read the article yourself, beyond maybe skimming the headline over your hang-sandwich, because it's point is the absolute antithesis of your Dublin = British prejudice.

oh god 'hang sandwich' - how narrow minded.

Read the article again kid, he talks about dlrs recent gaelic games success as originating in ireland rather than dublin.

"The CAO winners
    The rise of hurling in coastal south Dublin can be traced back to the free education of the 1960s. The primary force of the cultural takeover of south Dublin has been the emergence of a rural professional class that has come to dominate Dublin’s professions"

"Yet in the past few years, a great blurring has taken hold, where these old distinctions have melded into something else. Dalkey, formerly home of retired majors and colonels of the British armed forces, stomping ground of Protestant chroniclers of the relationship between Ireland and England, Shaw and Synge, has become the cradle of Irish hurling. Dalkey’s Cuala GAA club have been All-Ireland hurling club champions for two years running. How did that happen?"

"We have described the Dún Laoghaire-isation of the countryside, but what about the reverse takeover, the “culchification” of Dún Laoghaire?

In 1979, there was always a big local sporting final on St Patrick’s Day for the schools rugby final in Lansdowne Road, where the sons of the local merchant class showed their true skill and, more importantly, character on the playing fields.

Had you told us back then that a Dalkey team would be All-Ireland hurling champions, we’d have laughed at you.

Yet, on St Patrick’s Day 2017 and 2018, legions of locals left deepest south Dublin, decked out in the red and white of Cuala, for Croke Park to cheer on a hurling team sponsored by that pillar of south Dublin financial capitalism, Davy Stockbrokers. Yes, you are reading right.

When you open your eyes, you see this cultural transformation everywhere".

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

No, I am not a tourist. But my elderly uncle and his wife were when on a trip to ireland last september. Charged them €50 for a 6 minute ride.

Your aunt's a hooker?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Wow, do you generalise much.

How can there be more irish people in places like West Cork and Kerry compared to the most populated part of the country?

There's not junkies everywhere as you claim and I've been in Dublin with plenty of tourists (had foreign family visitors over) and they all love going to Dublin for pubs, museums, Phoenix Park, architecture etc.

It's only your blinkered hatred of Dublin that shows in your post.

There are junkies everywhere in Dublin.
    Choc full of them. Anywhere within 3km of the city center is full of the walking dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Did anyone mention the woman in stephens green who has been trying to get her bus fare together for the last 10 years.

This the same woman sobbing for at least 6 years at the old phonebox outside eurogiant next to the shelbourne? She must be able to buy her own bus at this stage, coining it daily from tourists coming out of that hotel walking down to grafton st.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    This the same woman sobbing for at least 6 years at the old phonebox outside eurogiant next to the shelbourne? She must be able to buy her own bus at this stage, coining it daily from tourists coming out of that hotel walking down to grafton st.

"excuse me sir. I wonder would you spare a euro so i can get the bus home."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I fail to see why anyone needs to beg in this country. We are a very generous people towards those in need.

HAP, get a house, medical card, free education, child allowance etc. Asylum seekers fed and sheltered etc. Those who were let go for Covid were paid. Evicitions stopped. The country is a beacon of light in so many ways, but a lot of people do not see how well we do towards others less fortunate.

Lots of charities looking after the 200 or so homeless (won't go to shelters, sleep on the streets), people.

Free food in many places including Father Kevins. And so on and so forth.

The unfortunates are those who fall through the gaps, but not the beggars we see every day. Sorry now it is not necessary and is mostly either for drugs or for professional beggars from places like Romania. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Turks Head bar and their rip off prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

na1 wrote: »
    There are uber-like taxi services in Ireland though. I wouldn't call the name, but I used at least one of them

The Unique Selling Proposition of Uber - to use your own car as a part-time taxi - doesn't work in Irish legislation. If you want to provide taxi services in Ireland, you need to meet the same licence and vehicle requirements as all taxi services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Expensive pubs aren't traps or scams, they're just expensive.

The prices are on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

that goddam whiskey museum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Expensive pubs aren't traps or scams, they're just expensive.

The prices are on the wall.
    It depends ....many cheat on measures etc .

Or they do a deal with other pubs on prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Turks Head bar and their rip off prices.

That you simply don't have to go into or pay.

It's not a trap.

It depends ....many cheat on measures etc .

Or they do a deal with other pubs on prices.

"Cocktail special offer; 2 for €10".
    Disclaimer: "Cocktail" may in fact be several litres of kia-ora and sugar with a dash of alcohol, stored under the bar for the last week.
    And if you complain we'll kick you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You have to pass an exam and get your car tested and fit a fare meter so uber does not work in Ireland like it does in the USA.
    Every week I get people asking me for a euro,
    they ask any adult, its not limited to tourists.
    High prices in pubs is not a scam,
    No one forces you to go to a pub, you can buy cans for a few euro. If you pay 5 euro for 1 Rose you are an idiot.
    Of course a bus is cheaper than using a taxi

Advertisement