Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Tourist Traps & Scams

Options
  • 22-06-2020 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭

A random thread as I randomly came across this New York Tourist Traps & Scams video on YouTube here:

It's an interesting watch but got me thinking, what Dublin scams & traps would tourists get over here?

Some are the same as New York such as:
    - The Romanians over here 'giving' you a rose then the hand comes out looking for a fiver? (or what ever they bloody charge now)
    - People always asking for Bus fare in City Centre.

What else tho? Off the top of my head:
    - Overpriced drinks in Temple Bar.

Care to add? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

The lads in Temple Bar Square- think it's hold onto the bar for 100seconds. 10euro wins 50.

Queues of people to do it. Have seen it in Portugal and UK too. Not that expensive to buy the necessary equipment. The bar rotates ever so slowly and you lose grip. A good return on investment I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Do not get a taxi at the airport, far cheaper to get bus or an Uber.

I honestly don't think Dublin is the worst for ripping off people bar some of the places in Temple bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

The lady with the baby who says her purse stolen and she has no money for nappies.... all said while crying her eyes out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The whole of Temple Bar really with it's extortionate plactic Paddy Whackery experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Guinness Storehouse.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »

I honestly don't think Dublin is the worst for ripping off people bar some of the places in Temple bar.

Didn’t think that we had Ubers in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

gmisk wrote: »

Uber doesn't exist in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Uber doesn't exist in Ireland.

Uber does exist in Ireland. They have to be a taxi and charge the fairs set out by the taxi regulator, but you can order using the Uber app.

Every city has tourist traps and scams, most are the same no matter what place you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Uber has been Ireland for years. But not very popular. MyTaxi is far bigger.Depends on where you live, but I don't think taxis at the airport are too bad. Mytaxi/Uber are not going to be cheaper, as they still all charge the same rates.

On topic, for me the extremely amateur Wax Museum is a complete farce.

dotsman wrote: »

On topic, for me the extremely amateur Wax Museum is a complete farce.

I don't know why people find wax museums interesting, unless they're really, really bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hurrache wrote: »
    The whole of Temple Bar really with it's extortionate plactic Paddy Whackery experience.

This often gets mentioned but if I go there, I know i'm going to pay more , maybe about €1 a pint.
    So for the night I'll pay €10- 12 extra to be in bars that can have good music and atmosphere.

When you go you see plenty of people enjoying themselves so it's not that bad and every city had a touristy area that you pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Get Real wrote: »
    The lads in Temple Bar Square- think it's hold onto the bar for 100seconds. 10euro wins 50.
    I thought you meant the actual bar of the Temple. ;) Never witnessed that thing though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Those horse and carriages at the top of grafton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Were you scammed by one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Were you scammed by one?

No, I am not a tourist. But my elderly uncle and his wife were when on a trip to ireland last september. Charged them €50 for a 6 minute ride.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Were you scammed by one?

Any of these old timey horse and carriage rides any city anywhere are rip off central.

I don't think Dublin is that bad for scams, being relatively wealthy and low degree of corruption compared to other countries we don't get things like real or fake cops setting up and scamming tourists, cops looking for bribes, attractions tickets and gemstone scams etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Love their traditional attire. Track suit bottoms and a scruffy hoody. In the winter they wear north face puffer jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Love their traditional attire. Track suit bottoms and a scruffy hoody. In the winter they wear north face puffer jackets.

Most of them operate out of the of the village I live you might call it a depot of sorts. At least they’re keeping it going, too many rickshaw peddlers. /pedallers

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Leprechaun Museum

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

The small grey haired lad who pretends he's deaf.

Always see him in the bookies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The small grey haired lad who pretends he's deaf.

Always see him in the bookies

Haven't seen him around in while. He approached me a few years ago looking for money and got very aggrieved when I told him to bugger off.

Not unique to Dublin but legalised Euronet Atm scam.

https://digg.com/video/euronet-atm-scam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

A random thread as I randomly came across this New York Tourist Traps & Scams video on YouTube here:

It's an interesting watch but got me thinking, what Dublin scams & traps would tourists get over here?

Some are the same as New York such as:
    - The Romanians over here 'giving' you a rose then the hand comes out looking for a fiver? (or what ever they bloody charge now)
    - People always asking for Bus fare in City Centre.

What else tho? Off the top of my head:
    - Overpriced drinks in Temple Bar.

Care to add? :p

*Roma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

*Roma

Yeh they aren't even Romanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

there was a young guy who used to give his phone / macbook as collateral on a loan of money but they would be stolen or something.

I read about him on here after actually meeting him, tried the whole thing but said something like he found the phone and the owner was coming to pick it up and they were paying a reward of 80 euros or something and to give him 50 and you got the phone and could keep the rest as he was in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Not unique to Dublin but legalised Euronet Atm scam.

https://digg.com/video/euronet-atm-scam

Wow, didn't realise digg still exists!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Are the 'Lock-hards' still operating on top of O'Connell Street??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'd really advise most tourists to skip Dublin to be honest. It's a festering hole of a city. Junkies everywhere. Obnoxious locals and a total lack of culture. The city and the locals have more in common with English cities like Bristol and Sheffield than they do with true Gaels.

There's far more for tourists (and Irish people) in places like West Cork, Kerry, West Clare and Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I'd really advise most tourists to skip Dublin to be honest. It's a festering hole of a city. Junkies everywhere. Obnoxious locals and a total lack of culture. The city and the locals have more in common with English cities like Bristol and Sheffield than they do with true Gaels.

There's far more for tourists (and Irish people) in places like West Cork, Kerry, West Clare and Connemara.

None of those are cities though, some people like cities.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Anything masquerading as an official state institution by misuse of the word 'national' ie National Wax Museum, National Leprechaun Museum, National Womens Council of Ireland...

Advertisement