Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Tourist Traps & Scams

Options

Comments

he was talking about steering tourists away from dublin

He was cherry picking two things that are completely lobsided and are only tenuously related in that they are food items and using it as some sort of smug "why would anyone want to live in Dublin?" nonsense. I gave plenty of reasons. You've deftly sidestepped those points, again.

It's like me saying "I got a blow job in Finglas once, it was amazing. That's a much better experience than being stabbed by a black lad for €2, sure who'd wanna live in Ballincollig anyway?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The small grey haired lad who pretends he's deaf.

Always see him in the bookies

That's yer man Woke Hogan , always posting here .

His wife recently left him for a deaf man , he should've seen the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No, I am not a tourist. But my elderly uncle and his wife were when on a trip to ireland last september. Charged them €50 for a 6 minute ride.
    HOLY FUUUUCK

By the way ...we should expand the TITLE most of the tourist traps are outside dub...the BLARNEY STONE??

The **** b&bs? Hotels are usually cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

HOLY FUUUUCK

Had the horse been eating Beef-o-Reeno?

• Advertisement

The rental car scam
    An investigation by The Irish Independent in late 2018 (report 1, report 2) found that rental car companies at Irish airports were charging crazy amounts for non-existent “damage” to the car or for pre-existing damage – this will of course not be repaired and the same will be repeated for the next customer.
    Examples include paying €130 for a scuff mark to a wheel despite the customer having taken photos proving that the damage was pre-existing. Another had to pay €969 for similar scuff marks but on multiple wheels. In another twist, one learnt that full cover insurance did not cover damage to wheel rims.

The gratuity on the train scam....basically people leave tissues on the train like the luas or dart on every seat or something ...and if they are touched they come up to people and ask for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Hitler had brown hair.

Yeah but it was dark brown. Almost looked black, The dummy in Madame's was almost ginger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Every so often in city centre I’ve seen a small fella maybe 5,3 in height around 50 yrs old who goes around pointing at his ears and then demanding money off ppl. I think he is indicating he’s deaf and therefore ppl should give him money ?!

He targets women in particular and from watching him over the years he tries to unpleasantly intimidate them into handing over a few euro. He scurries off when challenged.

Usual stomping ground is O’Connell bridge, the quays, Nassau st dawson st

I had a few run in's with this bucko. Seems to live in Kimmage/Crumlin/Drimnagh area as he hangs around the bus stops of routes that serve these areas or sometimes down Rathmines or at Superquinn Sundrive.

Said fella tried it on with me one day and I told him to F off. Tried it again the next day, I told him again to F off. Happened once or twice and again I bollocked him out of it. For a while he avoided me but played it on big time with a few old dears one day so I roared at him told him to beat it and not to harass anybody again.

About a week later on O'Connell Street I saw him and he was at it again, pointing and begging. By chance two Gards were passing by so I got their attention. He tried the same trick on with one of them; the other one knew better and let a roar at him as she made a reach for her handcuffs. All I can say is that Helen Keller would have surely admired his sudden recovery of the power of speech that day....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I had a few run in's with this bucko. Seems to live in Kimmage/Crumlin/Drimnagh area as he hangs around the bus stops of routes that serve these areas or sometimes down Rathmines or at Superquinn Sundrive.

Said fella tried it on with me one day and I told him to F off. Tried it again the next day, I told him again to F off. Happened once or twice and again I bollocked him out of it. For a while he avoided me but played it on big time with a few old dears one day so I roared at him told him to beat it and not to harass anybody again.

About a week later on O'Connell Street I saw him and he was at it again, pointing and begging and . By chance two Gards were passing by so I got their attention. He tried the same trick on with one of them; the other one knew better and let a roar at him as she made a reach for her handcuffs. All I can say is that Helen Keller would have surely admired his sudden recovery of the power of speech that day....

I can't say I recognise this guy despite would in the city centre for years.

What I have noticed though was the street beggars out during covid were a lot more aggressive in their approach than before. Presumably takings were down with fewer people around necessitating the tactic change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There was a young shivering beggar with filthy bare feet a few years ago. He gave up when everyone started buying him cheap ass runners in Penny's to annoy him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

About a week later on O'Connell Street I saw him and he was at it again, pointing and begging. By chance two Gards were passing by so I got their attention. He tried the same trick on with one of them; the other one knew better and let a roar at him as she made a reach for her handcuffs. All I can say is that Helen Keller would have surely admired his sudden recovery of the power of speech that day....

So to make matters worse he can actually talk when the pressure is on??

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭anplaya27

So to make matters worse he can actually talk when the pressure is on??

Most Deaf people can actually talk. Theres nothing wrong with our vocal cords, just our hearing. We just sound different than hearing as we have never heard a spoken language. The majority of Deaf use Irish Sign Language which is their first and native language.

English would be a second language due to the disparity, as one is visual, one is oral. Shouting at a Deaf person is just pointless tbh as we still cant hear you. What makes ye think we can? Makes me laugh when people do this. So if they're reacting to shouting theyre certainly not deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

murpho999 wrote: »
    This often gets mentioned but if I go there, I know i'm going to pay more , maybe about €1 a pint.
    So for the night I'll pay €10- 12 extra to be in bars that can have good music and atmosphere.

When you go you see plenty of people enjoying themselves so it's not that bad and every city had a touristy area that you pay more.

Good music and atmosphere? 50000 decibels of American Pie and Red Moon Rising in your ear while crushed into bewildered looking tourists. Whatever you're into I suppose.
    I can't even walk past the likes of the Oliver St Whatever without cringing.
    There are some good cafes and restaurants in Temple Bar but I can't think of one bar I like, maybe that Duck place, but the prices are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

the problem most people have is its a small city on a wet rock on the edge of europe charging south of france prices, it makes no sense to people - obviously with fdi and huge net inward migration and internal migration dublin is no longer the city of the commitments, but the price gouging is extraordinary compared to other small peripheral European cities..

John_Rambo wrote: »
    EDIT... Just had a look back and you've literally hundreds and hundreds of posts on boards.ie about Dublin, Dubliners and your hatred of them!!! Bloody hell, there has to be a story there, what happened??

I'd say he was fiddled by a Jackeen in a Liverpool jersey drinking a can of Carling in a Debenham's fitting room as a child, after being dragged up to Dublin in December to do the shopping by his Ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Got to love how threads about Dublin bring out the absolute spacers still harbouring a grudge over that time a D-Reg car took their parking space at Quinnsworths back in 1992.

At least Pintman Paddy Losty is only winding people up with his routine.

Woke Hogan with his diatribes about filthy Dubs diluting ze purity of ze Irish race would be better off saving his manifestos for a book. He could call it "My Struggle" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Got to love how threads about Dublin bring out the absolute spacers still harbouring a grudge over that time a D-Reg car took their parking space at Quinnsworths back in 1992.

At least Pintman Paddy Losty is only winding people up with his routine.

Woke Hogan with his diatribes about filthy Dubs diluting ze purity of ze Irish race would be better off saving his manifestos for a book. He could call it "My Struggle" or something like that.

Lads people like Woke Hogan are all thats wrong with Boards. Whether they are trolling or genuine, either way there a massive chip on shoulder complex. Just hit the ignore button like I did. I only know hes been posting his usual bitter minded nonsense from other peoples posts now. ah nice the worlds a little bit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Lads people like Woke Hogan are all thats wrong with Boards. Whether they are trolling or genuine, either way there a massive chip on shoulder complex. Just hit the ignore button like I did. I only know hes been posting his usual bitter minded nonsense from other peoples posts now. ah nice the worlds a little bit now.

You're probably right. I just have an aversion to the ignore button because I think it's healthy to have my views challenged and I'm afraid of creating an echo chamber.

I'd also rather be British than whatever Woke Hogan identifies as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

gmisk wrote: »
    It does....most people use free now which is a rip off.....but you can use Uber at least in Dublin.
    It's the same price,exactly.

• Advertisement

It's neither a tourist trap nor a scam really but the fact that if you fly into Dublin after about 11pm, your only option is to stand in a taxi queue for up to 90 mins sometimes if you're not getting a lift. It's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'd also rather be British than whatever Woke Hogan identifies as.
    There's nothing wrong with being British, I've lived in the UK myself. My point was that people from Dublin are more British than Irish in their habits, and that they don't represent of what a "real" Irish person is like.

There's nothing wrong with being British, I've lived in the UK myself. My point was that people from Dublin are more British than Irish in their habits, and that they don't represent of what a "real" Irish person is like.

So my mate from Mountmellick who lives in Laois and works for Dell (from home) is more Irish than me how exactly? We do the same things and like the same things mostly.
    What's a real Irish person?
    How is a bloke in Kerry who watches the premiership and works for a multinational any more Irish than me?
    I agree with you on many other issues on boards but your Dublin thing is just plain weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

It's neither a tourist trap nor a scam really but the fact that if you fly into Dublin after about 11pm, your only option is to stand in a taxi queue for up to 90 mins sometimes if you're not getting a lift. It's ridiculous.

been a while since ive been in dublin airport, but i imagine the aircoach still runs around the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

So my mate from Mountmellick who lives in Laois and works for Dell (from home) is more Irish than me how exactly? We do the same things and like the same things mostly.
    What's a real Irish person?
    How is a bloke in Kerry who watches the premiership and works for a multinational any more Irish than me?
    I agree with you on many other issues on boards but your Dublin thing is just plain weird.
    I don't know your "mate" (English slang) and I don't know you either. I'm speaking generally from observing people I have met from Dublin across decades of living in Ireland.

I don't know your "mate" (English slang) and I don't know you either. I'm speaking generally from observing people I have met from Dublin across decades of living in Ireland.

Everyone says mate now in Ireland I'm afraid. Could you enlighten me on the behaviours that we don't do in Dublin that you do in wherever you're from that makes you more Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

aversion to the irish language, sports, etc would be strongest in the pale, second city of the empire syndrome etc.

gourcuff wrote: »
    aversion to the irish language, sports, etc would be strongest in the pale, second city of the empire syndrome etc.

Is that why they won the GAA cup or whatever 5 times in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I've had numerous encounters with this chancer over the years. I must look like a mug. Haven't seen him for the last while. Have been approached by him dozens of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Agree with posts by PintmanPaddyLost and Woke Hogan.Cud do without the wokers do.I know one person who took Dunnes jeans to communist Soviet Russia and they paid for the holiday.

Advertisement