Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Tourist Traps & Scams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I agree with this 100%.

I wonder why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

gmisk wrote: »
    Do not get a taxi at the airport, far cheaper to get bus or an Uber.

I honestly don't think Dublin is the worst for ripping off people bar some of the places in Temple bar.

Cheaper still to walk :rolleyes: but like any airport, taxis can be detrimental to your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Guinness Storehouse.

The WORST brewery "tour" ever...Smitwicks miles better, the one in Dingle behind Dick Macs is better too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    The WORST brewery "tour" ever...Smitwicks miles better, the one in Dingle behind Dick Macs is better too

I’ve been to the Storehouse but only because I got a pair of freebies. Was grand for a wet Wednesday but certainly wouldn’t be impressed if I’d paid €25/30 or whatever it is.

Then again I don’t see the appeal of brewery tours anyway. I like lots of products including booze but I’ve no interest in walking around the factory they’re made in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Collie D wrote: »
    I’ve been to the Storehouse but only because I got a pair of freebies. Was grand for a wet Wednesday but certainly wouldn’t be impressed if I’d paid €25/30 or whatever it is.

Then again I don’t see the appeal of brewery tours anyway. I like lots of products including booze but I’ve no interest in walking around the factory they’re made in.

Well for me, its more about the history and the process...You get none of that with the Stonehouse...

Smitwicks & Dick Macs were group tour with someone very knowledgeable and only €15 a head also included a few drinks at the end too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Wow, some nice seafood and a pint by the seaside is nicer than a cheap takeaway in the middle of a city? What a fantastic insight, have you any more pearls of wisdom you'd like to share?

I've said this before, people have this blinkered view of Dublin because their experience is (usually) pretty limited. They get off the train in Connolly / Heuston or the bus at Busáras and don't like what they see. Or they travel up to Croker through one of the most deprived and dilapidated areas in the entire country, looking down on the place as they pass through, usually eating greasy one and one's, ironically enough.

They never get outside Dublin 1 or 2 and think that's all it has to offer. Take your example of West Cork, as a comparison. So a crab sambo is better than a cod and chips. Let's compare practically everything else....... How are the cinemas, theatres, bowling alleys, sporting venues, comedy clubs, Michelin starred restaurants, libraries, supermarkets, zoos, IKEA, ski slopes, operas, concert halls, go karting tracks, snooker halls, skating rinks, shopping centres? How favourably do they compare then?

What about access to other services you might only occasionally need, such as schools, hospitals, NCT centres, garda stations, practically all government institutions, post offices, fire brigade stations, airports and train stations? Does West Cork still come out on top? Can you see how ridiculous it is to cherry pick something to suit your argument while ignoring the parts that tear it asunder?

meow! someone is a little sensitive. I'm sure tourists get a real thrill out of all the nct centres and post offices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

meow! someone is a little sensitive. I'm sure tourists get a real thrill out of all the nct centres and post offices

IKEA as well. I’d say German tourists are tripping over themselves to bring an authentic Irish Hümdrüm coffee table over to Berlin with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Guinness Storehouse.

Its a big elaborate Guinness merchandise shop, thats it. Brought the inlaws to it once when they were visiting from abroad. Utter shyte.

I lived in Dublin city centre for years and tbh i do not see its attraction for tourists; not very pretty, wildly overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I agree with this 100%.

Whenever I'm speaking with people abroad and they ask me questions about visiting Ireland, I always make it clear that natives of Dublin wouldn't be considered truly Irish by many people from "down de country" and that a person from Dublin would have more in common with someone from Britain.

I go on to explain that "Dubs" are generally culturally British rather than Irish in their practices, similarly to how Russians in Latvia are still considered Russian despite having lived there for generations. I usually cite examples like how fans of Dublin GAA appropriate habits from soccer into their match attendance by singing etc, their use of English slang such as "mate" or "bloke" or their dependency on "chippers" and love for Brendan O Carroll.

My best advice for most of these people is to research the best places to visit outside of Dublin and drive there directly from the airport. There are also great express buses to other towns that they can take which only stop briefly in Dublin city centre so it's extra convenient for them to avoid Dublin altogether. I visited Russia during the Soviet Union era and I would rather live there than Dublin.

Christ almighty.... I really don't know where to begin with this one....

By my reading of this, my father, who moved to Dublin in the 30's from 'de country' is not really Irish, but British, and his sisters who stayed in 'de country' are actually Irish ??

So what does that make 'Supermacs'.... considering they are I think, a Galway founded company... is it ok for people from 'de country' to eat chips there, but anyone eating in a Dublin branch is really a Liverpool supporter....

Love for 'Brendan O'Carroll' ...... where does that leave people who grew up laughing at Maureen Potter, or Milo O'Shea.....

Unbelievable...

IKEA as well. I’d say German tourists are tripping over themselves to bring an authentic Irish Hümdrüm coffee table over to Berlin with them.

oh zee meatballs and zee crowds of people it was such a good time yaaaah

• Advertisement

swarlb wrote: »
    Christ almighty.... I really don't know where to begin with this one....

By my reading of this, my father, who moved to Dublin in the 30's from 'de country' is not really Irish, but British, and his sisters who stayed in 'de country' are actually Irish ??

So what does that make 'Supermacs'.... considering they are I think, a Galway founded company... is it ok for people from 'de country' to eat chips there, but anyone eating in a Dublin branch is really a Liverpool supporter....

Love for 'Brendan O'Carroll' ...... where does that leave people who grew up laughing at Maureen Potter, or Milo O'Shea.....

Unbelievable...

“Natives of Dublin.”

“Native” means they’re from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Been a while since I've lived in Dublin, but is there still a guy from Northern Ireland doing his schtick of 'I really need to go back to Belfast, but am 3 euro short for the train, can you help me out?'

Very polite fella who looked like a scruffy Jamie Dornan, but clearly not the sharpest tool since he always did this at Heuston. Wrong station bud

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

murpho999 wrote: »
    This often gets mentioned but if I go there, I know i'm going to pay more , maybe about €1 a pint.
    So for the night I'll pay €10- 12 extra to be in bars that can have good music and atmosphere.

When you go you see plenty of people enjoying themselves so it's not that bad and every city had a touristy area that you pay more.

The city is far from starved of identical places you don't pay through the nose for the same experience. The area (Temple Bar), apart from some decent restaurants, is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

“Natives of Dublin.”

“Native” means they’re from there.

So... a 'native' of Dublin is not Irish... but British.... by some weird twisted logic you've come to that conclusion.
    So, my father who was born in Tipperary then, is 'Irish' , but myself, who was born in Dublin, is British... or 'culturally' British.
    And here's me, with an Irish passport for the best part of 60 odd years, should probably apply for a British one.
    Or, seeing as I've been living in Wicklow for 40 of them, has my 'Irishness' returned.... or is Wicklow too close to the Pale for your liking.
    Would a 'native' of Leixlip be more or less 'Dublin' than a native of say 'Stoneybatter'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's not gone yet.

I didn't say it was but it's being used less and less, especially with Covid.

Just no need for it especially with phone payments. Secure, quick and safe.

Hurrache wrote: »
    The city is far from starved of identical places you don't pay through the nose for the same experience. The area (Temple Bar), apart from some decent restaurants, is terrible.

It can still be good craic in there and you can meet some tourists too who are all very happy to be there.

And as you mentioned there's some decent restaurants there too.

I don't get the on-line hate for the place.

We know the pubs are expensive but if you're out drinking it's not that much different over the night.

swarlb wrote: »
    So... a 'native' of Dublin is not Irish... but British.... by some weird twisted logic you've come to that conclusion.
    So, my father who was born in Tipperary then, is 'Irish' , but myself, who was born in Dublin, is British... or 'culturally' British.
    And here's me, with an Irish passport for the best part of 60 odd years, should probably apply for a British one.
    Or, seeing as I've been living in Wicklow for 40 of them, has my 'Irishness' returned.... or is Wicklow too close to the Pale for your liking.
    Would a 'native' of Leixlip be more or less 'Dublin' than a native of say 'Stoneybatter'.....

Natives of Dublin are culturally more British than Irish, yes. The British ran the country via Dublin for centuries and it’s well known that Dublin integrated into British influence far quicker than the rest of the country. This is not controversial.

A person from Dublin would have more in common with a person from Liverpool or Manchester than someone from Kerry. Culturally, people from Dublin are not representative of Ireland.

A person from Dublin would have more in common with a person from Liverpool or Manchester than someone from Kerry. Culturally, people from Dublin are not representative of Ireland.

Presume the commonality is how our spoken English is understandable compared to Kerry? Good point in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Any objective and non-biased bystander will admit that a delicious open crab sandwich and a pint of Murphy's by the sea and clean air in West Cork, far surpasses a greasy "one and one" from a chipper in Dublin. The people are also much friendlier and laid back. As I said, Dubs, and other inhabitants of the pale, have more in common with the English than the rest of Ireland.

But an open crab sandwich in Howth or Glastule is going to be better than a greasy one and one in a chipper in Cork city. And Cork has far more UK people living in it than anywhere else in the country and more English influences.

Sure look at the Cork fishmonger in the English market fawning and slavering over the Brttish monarch when she visited. The photo was everywhere, he was practically jizzing himself as she lectured him like a good Cork subject. Corkmen, the Neo-jackeens!!! :pac:

Hurrache wrote: »
    Presume the commonality is how our spoken English is understandable compared to Kerry? Good point in fairness.

The dialect of English spoken by Kerry is perfectly understandable to people from Kerry. The idea of a superior standard of language is an invention by the elites in order to subjugate the working classes/peasantry. In reality, differing dialects of any language are equally valid.

Your attitude is an example of why the British were welcomed into Dublin with open arms and the British habits integrated so well within the population of Dublin. People from Dublin want to impress the British (their “betters”) whereas the rest of the country largely avoided any cultural insecurity by maintaining their authentic Irishness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Dubmany

Natives of Dublin are culturally more British than Irish, yes. The British ran the country via Dublin for centuries and it’s well known that Dublin integrated into British influence far quicker than the rest of the country. This is not controversial.

Obvious troll is obvious

Dubmany wrote: »
    Obvious troll is obvious

I’m not a troll, I am entirely sincere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Uber doesn't exist in Ireland.
    It does....most people use free now which is a rip off.....but you can use Uber at least in Dublin.

You may be sincere in your opinion but you're ridiculously misinformed, prejudiced and appear to be uneducated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nah, you're either unfamiliar with Dublin or the two UK cities. Dublin doesn't have that weird moll culture that Liverpool and Manchester have. Molls with pubs in them!! Dublin has a lot of similarities with other EU cities, but certainly not them two.

Regarding lineage, East coast would have more Norman and English hybrid vigour and less inbreeding. Dublin was a major trading port at one stage and everyone from everywhere passed through. So more mongrels on the East coast.

EDIT... Just had a look back and you've literally hundreds and hundreds of posts on boards.ie about Dublin, Dubliners and your hatred of them!!! Bloody hell, there has to be a story there, what happened??

Your comprehension skills are somewhat lacking. Not only have you misinterpreted what I was saying, but you failed to address any of the points I raised. I was addressing the good Pintman himself, as he indicated that he himself would prefer an open crab sambo vs a fish and chips, and not the tourists. Do try to keep up.

Living in remote parts of the world is all well and good, and has serious benefits vs living in a city. But let's not pretend that it also doesn't have serious drawbacks also. This is even more evident when you consider irelands shameful abandonment of parts of the Wesht. It isn't all crab sambos and pints of Murphys, lads.

Don't understand, can you write more clearly and slowly, your accent is fierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I don't know why people find wax museums interesting, unless they're really, really bad.

Wax museums are sh1t.

I was in Madame Tussauds in London. It was crap. The effigy of Hitler was so bad. We all know that old Adolf had black hair and a black moustache. The wax dummy had brown hair and the swastika armband was actually a red swastika on a white circle instead of black on white on red.

Your comprehension skills are somewhat lacking. Not only have you misinterpreted what I was saying, but you failed to address any of the points I raised. I was addressing the good Pintman himself, as he indicated that he himself would prefer an open crab sambo vs a fish and chips, and not the tourists. Do try to keep up.

Living in remote parts of the world is all well and good, and has serious benefits vs living in a city. But let's not pretend that it also doesn't have serious drawbacks also. This is even more evident when you consider irelands shameful abandonment of parts of the Wesht. It isn't all crab sambos and pints of Murphys, lads.
    he was talking about steering tourists away from dublin

• Advertisement

Wax museums are sh1t.

I was in Madame Tussauds in London. It was crap. The effigy of Hitler was so bad. We all know that old Adolf had black hair and a black moustache. The wax dummy had brown hair and the swastika armband was actually a red swastika on a white circle instead of black on white on red.

Hitler had brown hair.

Advertisement