Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti cycling school policy

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Had anyone ever been expelled for not wearing the correct coat?

I'd go out and get the brightest cycling coat possible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if a student is going into sixth year, they may not want the distraction of having to take the fight to the school in that way. easiest if the parents try to sort it before term starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

well here's the OP's position so looks like the chips on his shoulder require lots of vinegar, I'm out.

Teachers' pay and pension must be massively cut. Overpaid and lazy leeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

get on the board of governors and change it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Treppen wrote: »
    well here's the OP's position so looks like the chips on his shoulder require lots of vinegar, I'm out.

Yep, someone's opinion on one matter invalidates their opinion on all other matters, even if objectively reasoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Ahhh reminds me of my school days. All girls secondary school with a rotten unlined long woolen kilt that blew wide open in the wind and scratched the skin off your legs.

ONE girl cycled to school. Out of the entire 800 pupils, only one cycled during my time there.

Realistically there isn't a lot the school can do. Just keep cycling in gear that's safe. A skirt is wholly inappropriate, catches the wind, can get caught in the bike and the colour of the uniform makes it unsafe attire.

I had a similar argument with the school during my leaving cert. Vice principal was trying to take people to task for not sitting in itchy wool kilts and jumpers and ties during the very typical heat of the leaving cert, instead most were wearing uniform coloured tracksuit bottoms and white uniform polo shirts. I just turned around to her and said something to the effect of "are you really prioritising the uniform over my ability to focus on the actual exam? You'd really prefer us to all sit in discomfort rather than paying full attention to the exam? Really?". She had no good answer and just walked away. So honestly, what will they do if your cousin keeps cycling and asks "so you want me to either clog up the streets with another car, or wear a uniform that's likely to get me either knocked over because it's so dark or injured by it getting caught in the bike? Just so I'm clear, which one is it?" They can't actually do anything so honestly I'd do nothing either - carry on as normal.

ETA: The spot checks for leggings in the cold are disturbing. Simple answer: "you, an adult, want me, a minor, to lift my skirt so you can look at my underwear?".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭cletus

buffalo wrote: »
    Yep, someone's opinion on one matter invalidates their opinion on all other matters, even if objectively reasoned.

Obviously it doesn't, but when the opinion is on a related topic, it might lend a little insight into the person's views and opinions.

Teachers are easy targets for a variety of reasons, not least becasuse everyone went through the school system, so everyone feels they have some insight into the profession that perhaps they don't feel about other professions.

I've given up defending my position as a teacher, but it's not particulary pleasant to read comments like the one above, and there's plenty more of the same online and in real life.

Kind of like the "all cyclists" comments on the journel.ie etc. Gets wearisome after a while, and, at least for me, it will colour my perception of a person's other views if they express opinions like the above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Hi. I'm the OP back with a different account.
    She's back at school and this is definitely being enforced.
    The one or two pupils that cycled to school previously continued to do so despite the ban on entering school grounds out of uniform and they were pulled up on it.

Apparently the principal is saying that the pupils are representing the school on the way there, in school and on the way out.

She has decided to lock the PE changing rooms outside of PE times for "Covid reasons" and lock the toilets before 9 AM when lessons begin.

She means business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Principal sounds like she is high off her own self importance. I'd be ignoring her on it and continue as they were doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Principal sounds like she is high off her own self importance. I'd be ignoring her on it and continue as they were doing.

Get changed where though :( ??

The staff toilets even have a lanyard fob so sneaking in there ain't an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Hi. I'm the OP back with a different account.
    She's back at school and this is definitely being enforced.
    The one or two pupils that cycled to school previously continued to do so despite the ban on entering school grounds out of uniform and they were pulled up on it.

Apparently the principal is saying that the pupils are representing the school on the way there, in school and on the way out.

She has decided to lock the PE changing rooms outside of PE times for "Covid reasons" and lock the toilets before 9 AM when lessons begin.

She means business.

These crowd are fairly active

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclists-stage-die-in-protest-outside-dublin-city-council-office-1.4073178

Principal is incorrect btw. The students aren't representing the school cycling there. The students are only representing the school if they are wearing uniform.

I'd go media on this one rather than fighting over phonecalls to the principal.

Get the principal to state her position by email then you'll have as quote for the media. Verbal stuff is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Treppen wrote: »
    These crowd are fairly active

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclists-stage-die-in-protest-outside-dublin-city-council-office-1.4073178

Principal is incorrect btw. The students aren't representing the school cycling there. The students are only representing the school if they are wearing uniform.

I'd go media on this one rather than fighting over phonecalls to the principal.

Get the principal to state her position by email then you'll have as quote for the media. Verbal stuff is useless.

+1 on this.
    This a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Get changed where though :( ??

The staff toilets even have a lanyard fob so sneaking in there ain't an option.

When the toilets open at 9am. When queried by the teacher why late for class, answer is the toilets are closed until 9 and I need to use them. Wont be long until the teachers themselves are telling principal to open toilets earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

A decent school with a sensible principal and teachers would encourage as many pupils, as wish to, to cycle to school.

It's the petty rules and regulations that come from petty authority that make no sense whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

This is modern ireland , no common sense only people reading things literally out of a book . Can’t talk to you then Because of GDPR

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Name and shame the school.
    If you do, I’ll make a call
    Maybe a few others here will also
    Might change their tune fairly quickly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod note - no naming and shaming. I think I don't need to explain this

Advertisement