Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

A few courses are currently accepting applications.

On Twitter, they are still writing that "we will be announcing the courses in the coming weeks".

What's the hold up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Might be the good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

Anyone do the Digital Marketing and Digital Media Management course in DKIT?? Was it difficult? Interesting?

It would be good to get a real update from them rather than them just reposting the same comment every month on their Twitter page.

If there is a funding issue then they should just write that rather than leave us poor people waiting for a bus that will never arrive.

Edit: Was in contact with TUD and they told me they are still waiting for confirmation on what courses will be funded/covered under Springboard.

Post edited by Robert Nairac on

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

course list up today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TinaTiernan

Any recommendations for data analytics related courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

I thought that was the number 1 job on the AI chopping board.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TinaTiernan

Sure if we're all out of work, who will buy products these companies are selling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TKAspeed13

How thoroughly do they check where you live? I only ask because I am from the Republic, born and raised, I still work and pay taxes in the Republic but had to move to NI last year due to finding it so hard to find somewhere to live/rent. I feel bad skirting the official rules of having to live full-time in the Republic but as I said I pay my taxes there and spend most of my time there. I used my parents' address for my application as I am there a few times a month, do you think there would be issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

If I remember rightly they want utility bills to prove residence over the last number of years - but I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

The website just redirects to hea.ie ? Where are the courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Works fine for me, are you using - https://springboardcourses.ie/ ?

@TKAspeed13 they definitely will ask for proof of address going back a few years, I did a course last year with them and they wanted more receipts than i thought were enough so its definitely checked, sorry.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

There must have been a not insignificant amount of applicants from outside ireland in prior years hence the restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I applied a couple of years back. I had just been made redundant in Scotland and was in the process of moving home, they woudn't let me apply with a Scottish address, even though I explained I'd be in Ireland when the course started per the rules. I got a letter of emplyoment to say I was working on my Dad's farm, he signed that and it was enough proof in 2020. When I got another job at home I used that info in December when they looked for proof for the second half of the year. It could have changed since. On this basis I'd say a letter from your employer to say you are emplyoed would work. I'd type something out and get your boss to sign it, less hassle for your boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

anyone spot any good courses? do they offer them first come first served or based on application?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Very few courses fill so don't worry about that when applying. Also, don't worry about "good courses", worry about what you'd enjoy and what will suit you. I've done a few SpringBoard courses and I find that if you treat it as a hobby you'll fly through it (and get an honours), if you treat it as a job then you'll either pass or give up/fail.

Few things to remember

• If you can do it full time, fair play, if you can't then make sure you can work the schedule. Online is brilliant but if it's (for example) evening classes from 6 to 10 2 nights a week an hour from your work, be honest, you'll struggle.
    • If you have an interest in it, chances are you know most of the content already and will be really engaged.
    • If you don't have an interest in it, you'll avoid it
    • Part-time courses are designed for working people, 10 hours a week will seem a lot, but think of giving up 1 hour of TV an evening and half an hour of your lunch break, that's 9.5 hours done. In reality it won't take 10 hours if you are interested.
    • If you are doing a course for work, talk to work about it, get them to sponsor you and give you time off to do it, chances are they'll get a tax break so will be happy to do it
    • If you are doing a course for a potential new job, make sure it's something you're interested in not something you hear is good.
    • If you are doing a course just because you are interested in it even if it has nothing to do with work make sure to tell work that you are doing a course, employers love to hear employees bettering themselves and might even give you a couple of days off study leave

Happy to answer any questions over PM if anyone wants, for me, I started a springboard course over a decade ago because my son was born and I was at home more than usual in thYe evenings, it was a brilliant hobby and I've now 3 college qualifications for less than a grand cash but I'd say I've made more than that back in student discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Is there any limit to the number courses you can take? I did a one year level 8 pharma course in 19-20. Would I be eligible to have another course funded?

When do the offers come in? Is it at the same time as the CAO ones (level 9 course)? I did a course before but it was a January start and i applied late so quite different to the one i've applied for this time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 TKAspeed13

Thanks mp3Ireland2, that's quite reassuring, I've been offered a place and have all of the documents they are looking for so fingers crossed.

I think it depends on the provider, I applied to 5 courses once it opened and got a response from 1 of them last week, haven't heard a peep from the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

You can take up to 3 courses in a 5-year period, according to the General Eligibility tab in the FAQ - HEA - Springboard+ (springboardcourses.ie)

Got an email to say the course I applied for was oversubscribed and they are prioritising unemployed or returners, they did say there may be further places offered depending on uptake but no idea of likelihood of that, a little gutted to be honest. Can't argue with prioritising those looking to return to work when i already have a job, albeit in an area i'd like to change from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

They vast majority on my prior course in springboard were workers(not returners or unemployed). The unemployment rate is too low to be picky. I'd say the colleges are more worried about the appitude of student and hence completion rate for courses in prior years. But the HEA may be puting the foot down now and auditing aderance to guidelines.

For Springboard courses in general I felt colleges put in little enough effort to some course and it was purely a financial exercise to get the money of springboard rather then academic merit. Some courses have substantial drop out rates too(I'd say down to poor teaching in some cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

I presume that I still have some time to apply for a course, don't I?

Do you have any recommendations for something that would be available for someone who only holds a level 6?

I know the advice is to do something that interests you and possibly have experience in, but to be honest, I'm not sure what interests me. The only recent experience I have is working in hospitality, which unfortunately is an industry I now hate.

To be honest, I just want to do anything that will allow me to move out of hospitality and get an office job, or at least one where I can have an opportunity to sit down at work, preferably with normal working hours and weekends off.

Recently, I've been fascinated with AI, so perhaps something in that area if available.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

That's what I would have thought too, plus the course was part time and online only so I would have thought unemployed and returners would have preferred a full time one. I've many industry certs and third level qualifications in another area (up to level 9) so i doubt they thought i didn't have aptitude for it. They did say that funding was lower this year (don't know if that's in general or for this course in particular)so maybe very limited spots?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

Sorry if this has been covered already but today, I applied for 2 courses, I presume this is allowed and later if I get selected for both I can turn one of the offers down?

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Yeah, no issues with that. I had 2 offers when I did one a few years ago - as soon as you accept one on the Springboard website, it automatically cancels all your other applications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭doctorg

anyone know if its possible to get an exception to the 3 year residence requirement ?

Advertisement