Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID insurance refunds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Got a 3.6% refund for not driving for 3 months!

How did they come up with these figures I wonder?

Seriously???

They allocated a pot of money they wanted to use for this, divided by the number of policyholders on their books and that's what you got

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

With AIG myself. Rang about a refund and got a lovely email saying they were not doing refunds but instead putting the money into bettering the business for next year.... Fabulous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I got nothing from Zurich. Yet, in the newspapers it was stated that they were giving One For All cards to their customers. The OP is also with Zurich and did receive one. I'm expecting my renewal and like you I guess I will just have to keep on at them to get any kind of discount. However I will be asking them why I didn't receive my 'covid card'? A discount off the insurance would be great too!

My mam got one from Zurich ( and she got €40, which is the most I’ve heard of any company giving). She only got it late last week though, so I’m sure they’ll get to you :D. My husband got one from FBD today, while my brother got one from FBD at least 3 weeks ago. I suppose it takes a while to get through the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

jlm29 wrote: »
    My mam got one from Zurich ( and she got €40, which is the most I’ve heard of any company giving). She only got it late last week though, so I’m sure they’ll get to you :D. My husband got one from FBD today, while my brother got one from FBD at least 3 weeks ago. I suppose it takes a while to get through the list!

On the bolded, I also got a 35 euro one4all voucher from them, but only weeks later I got my renewal notice and in spite of the consensus of reduced claims and thus cost of doing business being down, they'd had the cheek to bump my renewal by 51 quid! So one to watch out for that a lot of insurers may well try to claw this back in renewals and potentially incorporate it into new business premiums too.

Needless to say I rang them to point out that this (apparent) approach of a PR exercise by refunding X amount to a fanfare while clawing it and then some back come renewal time was pretty reprehensible, as you can only assume that had they not done that they'd have 35-40 euro per renewal to play with..... (or just pocket anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

So anyone who's with Aviva is definitely getting nothing?

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    Needless to say I rang them to point out that this (apparent) approach of a PR exercise by refunding X amount to a fanfare while clawing it and then some back come renewal time was pretty reprehensible, as you can only assume that had they not done that they'd have 35-40 euro per renewal to play with..... (or just pocket anyway!)

Why should they bother, when this is the response they get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Why should they bother, when this is the response they get?

I don't get your point. Should I have said "thank you for the opportunity to reimburse you for what you reimbursed me, and sure have some extra for the inconvenience"? To be clear, I was perfectly civil throughout the discussion, and indeed I expressed my gratitude to the person with whom I was speaking who at least seemed to empathise, and indeed offered a discount on the renewal.

Incidentally, that said discount could be offered kind of proves my point, wouldn't you think? Had they done a la a number of other insurers and refunded nothing and my renewal been in or around the same, I'd probably have said nothing, but the whole thing just seemed backhanded and ham-fisted in the way they went about it.

Your assertion that insurers decided to give this refund and then immediately claw it back at renewal is far fetched. Some insurers are still increasing their premiums for certain profiles on their books, while at the same time reducing them for others. Posters here have said they got a refund and a cheaper premium for the coming year. Your insurer gave you a €35 refund, knowing full well you were free to move elsewhere if they got their renewal quote wrong.Describing it as reprehensible and backhanded is just venting for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Two cheques for two different policies here, both for 30e each on premiums of over 1200e with Zurich. I don't know whether to frame them or lodge them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We are with Blue Insurance, no refunds being offered as 'our premiums are already very competitive'

Wouldn't mind but they charge you €25 absolutely any update to your policy. About to change cars, they are now priced just like everyone else so won't be renewing with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Tork wrote: »
    So anyone who's with Aviva is definitely getting nothing?

I'm with Aviva and have received nothing thus far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm with Aviva and have received nothing thus far :(

Not to fear, you'll be more than happy to know that Aviva have said they can provide best value by offering customers a competitive quote on renewal!

Happy now?
    Knew you would be! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

blade1 wrote: »
    Not to fear, you'll be more than happy to know that Aviva have said they can provide best value by offering customers a competitive quote on renewal!

Happy now?

Ah yes, of course - I should have known they wouldn't let me down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Happy now?

I'm with Aviva and my quote is down €50 on last year to under €400 for the first time in years. It is also at least €100 cheaper than any other quotes I shopped around for before renewing.

Its all swings and round-a-bouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

AlfaZen wrote: »
    I'm with Aviva and my quote is down €50 on last year to under €400 for the first time in years. It is also at least €100 cheaper than any other quotes I shopped around for before renewing.

With Aviva also. This year's renewal was more expensive than last year's. On phone with them, asked about the Covid rebate and told similar regarding no rebate but better quotes for next year. Then they hit me with a higher quote.

Can't make this stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coldcake

daheff wrote: »
    With Aviva also. This year's renewal was more expensive than last year's. On phone with them, asked about the Covid rebate and told similar regarding no rebate but better quotes for next year. Then they hit me with a higher quote.

Can't make this stuff up.

They are taking the piss, my quote is almost a 100 euro more than last year and they make no mention of the Covid situation at all on the cover letter.

AlfaZen wrote: »

I was with Aviva last year and an post beat their renewal quote by more than half, €328 fully comp.
    And guess who the underwriters are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

From Zurich web site ..
    Zurich to issue €40 cash equivalent voucher to personal motor customers
    While it will be some time before we can assess the full impact of COVID-19, we want to provide support for our loyal customers, now at this difficult time, so from 22 June we will start sending customers a €40 relief payment for each vehicle insured with us in the form of One4all gift cards. Our plan is to send these to all qualifying customers by the end of July.

As well as refunding savings we make from fewer motor claims due to reduced traffic movement, we have also put in place a range of other support measures for personal and business customers like our priority claims and breakdown service for frontline workers as well as helping our community, charity partners and supporting mental wellbeing.

You don’t need to contact us or do anything, and we’ll be in touch when we send you your relief payment over the next few weeks.

We’ve provided answers to some of your questions and we’ll be updating our website with more information over the coming weeks so you can check back for updates. In the meantime, stay safe, and thank you for being a Zurich customer and for everything you’re doing at this challenging time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got 2 x €30 refunds for the 2 car policies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

30 quid cheque from AXA.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I was with Aviva last year and an post beat their renewal quote by more than half, €328 fully comp.
    And guess who the underwriters are?

Imagine if that happened in any other businesses that used various distribution channels. As an example, you could find Tesco selling Kellogs Cornflakes at half the price of your local corner shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Anyone else avail of the 'Covid-19 refund' from their insurer?

Axa sent me a 30 euro cheque despite me not even being actively insured with them at the moment :)

https://www.axa.ie/covid19/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got €30 off Allianz, didn’t have to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I got €30 off Allianz, didn’t have to ask.

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

2 X €35 one4all cards from|FBD , we only have 2 vehicles covered with them now, all other policies elsewhere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm covered by AXA through a broker. I've had absolutely no communication about the Covid-19 refund. I'll be looking for the broker to apply the discount when I renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm covered by AXA through a broker. I've had absolutely no communication about the Covid-19 refund. I'll be looking for the broker to apply the discount when I renew.

I'm also with AXA through a broker too and got €30 in the post last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'm also with AXA through a broker too and got €30 in the post last week.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lads anyone get anything from Carole Nash for their bike insurance ?

• Advertisement

LillySV wrote: »
    Lads anyone get anything from Carole Nash for their bike insurance ?

No.
    I renewed my policy on the 23rd May and asked them for a discount on renewal.
    They refused but said they were in talks with underwriters about a refund.
    I await with bated breath :pac:

Advertisement