Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID insurance refunds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm with Axa through Principal for my bike insurance, haven't heard a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

LillySV wrote: »
    Did u go to school ? Or are u starting next year?

Went many years ago, where I learned how to debate an argument rather than replying in a "your ma!" type fashion

*you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

With Axa through AIB - €30 in the bank last Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Both myself and my partner are insured with AXA and no sign of any cheques just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

With AXA for both my car and bikes. €30 refund on each live policy held before April 29th 2020. Refunds were to start issuing on the week beginning June 15. Needless to say I’ve received sod all as yet bar AXA sending a letter requesting payment of my wife’s new policy which was paid in full on May 1st. I stand to get €60 back of the €1210 I forked out during the month of April, my wife gave them another €950,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No Such refund if your with Avvia I believe, Renewed in May and of course not a hint of a refund despite car not in use for nearly 3 months. As far as I know, Avvia the only Insurance company not offering any refunds, this said, I do mine through An Post

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭malinheader

€30 paid back into my account last week from Allianz.
    Second time I have received a refund from them. Makes a nice change writing something positive about an insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Have a motorbike policy with Axa through Carole Nash and heard nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Before we get another 'I'm with Axa and haven't got a cheque yet' post .....
    We will start to issue payments from June 15th, please bear with us, processing this volume of payments may take several weeks to complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Got my €30 One4All from 123.ie yesterday.

€30 is about 4% of my premium. Insurance companies have gotten away with murder during this crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Farrelk

Lundstram wrote: »

€30 is about 4% of my premium. Insurance companies have gotten away with murder during this crisis.

Absolutely. Paid 1200e myself for the year. 4 months of little to no driving gets me €35 back. It's nearly an insult even sending out the vouchers

Farrelk wrote: »
    Absolutely. Paid 1200e myself for the year. 4 months of little to no driving gets me €35 back. It's nearly an insult even sending out the vouchers

To think, the insurers who are not refunding anything are being spared that criticism

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Farrelk wrote: »
    35 quid one for all off FBD

Got the same. Could someone explain to me where you can use the card?

I tried using it online twice and it didn’t work- must be the no name on it?

Then I tried to pay for fuel with it in Apple green, as it has no chip I had to swipe - declined.

Incredibly frustrating . Haven’t even checked to see if there’s €35 on the thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

30 quid from Allianz. Arrived a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Lundstram wrote: »

+1 miserable feckers

30 from FBD

50 might have been ok but 30 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BarryNumber1

30 from Allianz, policy due as well and it’s gone up. Funny that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Funny how all the refunds seem to be 30/35 quid. Almost like they agreed that between themselves rather than use some formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Reason is probably dodgy claims and a complicit legal ‘profession’.
    What are you basing that comment on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Aviva on the car. Heard nothing from them
    Carole Nash on the bike. Heard nothing from them

Purgative wrote: »
    Funny how all the refunds seem to be 30/35 quid. Almost like they agreed that between themselves rather than use some formula.

Let's be clear about this. Not one insurance company wanted to give a penny back to their customers. They are in the money making business and weren't obliged to give any refund.

One or two insurers became concerned about the growing public pressure that they should do something at this time of crisis. When the first insurer came up with a figure of circa €30, that set the bar as to the minimum they could get away with and others rowed in behind at that level. Why would any insurer offer a figure higher than that, knowing a customer would still switch to another company to save €20 at next renewal anyway (as I would).

I still stick by my argument that insurers should not have given returns, allowing them to make increased profits and then enter a phase of soft market pricing, which benefits everybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

I got my refund on classic car policy from axa. Policy was through Carole Nash. €30 Refund. Anyone know whether aviva are doing refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Am I being cynical in thinking that even IF they were ordered / public pressured to give everyone back say a months insurance that they would just recoup it next year in your premium?;) Or divide it out by a few years and slowly recoup it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

20 eur circle k voucher claimed online for liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Got the same. Could someone explain to me where you can use the card?

I tried using it online twice and it didn’t work- must be the no name on it?

Then I tried to pay for fuel with it in Apple green, as it has no chip I had to swipe - declined.

Incredibly frustrating . Haven’t even checked to see if there’s €35 on the thing

There’s a website that tells you all the retailers. It also says which ones accept them online. They’re very very widely accepted- Tesco, next, M&S, woodies,lifestyle, DID electrical, EZ Living etc etc. You can check the balance online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Nothing here yet. Am with AXA, through a broker. Would have expected more than €30 though. I got €450 back from Laya, I know the policy cost more, but still!

Am I being cynical in thinking that even IF they were ordered / public pressured to give everyone back say a months insurance that they would just recoup it next year in your premium?;) Or divide it out by a few years and slowly recoup it;)

Who could 'order ' insurers to refund premiums and on what basis?

Anyway, to follow through on your argument, of course they would recoup it over a period, just like they could offer lower premiums next year if they were allowed retain it. Given what it costs to administer a €30 refund, the reduction in premium would be significantly more.

BTW, the refund insurers are giving comes from their share of your premium. Why don't you get on to your TD to get the Government refund the statutory levy element of what you paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The battery in car is on the way out from not being driven.
    I think the replacement OEM one is around €500.
    All "donations" from insurance companies or otherwise will be gladly accepted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

jlm29 wrote: »
    There’s a website that tells you all the retailers. It also says which ones accept them online. They’re very very widely accepted- Tesco, next, M&S, woodies,lifestyle, DID electrical, EZ Living etc etc. You can check the balance online

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

jlm29 wrote: »
    Nothing here yet. Am with AXA, through a broker. Would have expected more than €30 though. I got €450 back from Laya, I know the policy cost more, but still!

I'm with AXA directly got my 30 euro last Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

has anybody else received a refund cheque from their insurers? i received a massive €30 cheque. Considering my car has only been used for 10 minutes a week for nearly 3 months its a joke.

Advertisement