Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Excellent response, thanks for the explanation. I will buy one of these Mi devices so. I have an android H96+ pro under the tv at the moment, it allows me to put in a usb stick and record from iptv xtreme. I would lose this functionality yeah? No usb on that Mi stick
    Correct, the next up Android TV device with USB is the Mi Box S but those are being phased out, they still work of course for €50. The Nvidia Shield is an absolute powerhouse with fantastic software support and features with USB (I've a Shield and Shield Tube). This would be €220 but completely worth it!

Alternative, you should switch to a service that offers VOD or catchup functionality.

I'm considering buying a Mi Stick soon. Never had something like that before. I don't like smart TVs but devices that plug in are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I just got a new 4k Firestick to replace the old version, but now when I try to cast a Youtube video with the button underneath every video it just says "Source Not Supported", I can see other devices in the house like the Xbone and my Firestick is top of the list but its greyed out, any clue what thats about? Old one still casts fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Thargor wrote: »
    I just got a new 4k Firestick to replace the old version, but now when I try to cast a Youtube video with the button underneath every video it just says "Source Not Supported", I can see other devices in the house like the Xbone and my Firestick is top of the list but its greyed out, any clue what thats about? Old one still casts fine.

Sorry, I know I'm not answering your query but just wondering where you got your firestick? Amazon don't seem to deliver it here....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Sorry, I know I'm not answering your query but just wondering where you got your firestick? Amazon don't seem to deliver it here....

Use AddressPal, or parcel motel

• Advertisement

mossie wrote: »
    Use AddressPal, or parcel motel
    Yeah Parcel Motel.

Is there a video player like VLC or Media Player Classic that I could set up so that it behaves exactly like the "Send to Firestick" option in Youtube? As in I could be watching a file on my laptop but then just hit a button and have it pause on the pc then appear on my tv screen and let me go back to browsing on the laptop?
    Plex is the answer to this btw, made my Downloads folder my Library and it works flawlessly.

Just need to sort this Youtube issue now :mad:

OMG Im a fecking idiot, the Youtube app wasnt installed! I just assumed it came as stock, also when I searched for it in the Amazon store it said "You Own It!" so not technically all my fault... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone any joy getting NBC peacock working?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yep, I've had it working a while now. I use KeepSolid SmartDNS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

yea...expressvpn on dallas 2 server....but its slow.
    useable...so not that slow it cant be used..but does feel slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

How does one get the peacock apk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

anyone else having problems accessing BBC iPlayer with expressvpn? Haven't been able to access all week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pavb2

Hi all Having problems with buffering so set up a trial version of Express vpn just watching some live football on the Firestick And all Seemed to be much improved until it reached a penalty shoot out and the whole thing started buffering and eventually froze.

Internet connection is ok I’ve done all the Firestick resets, clean ups using apps like refresh your firetv Etc the Firestick is about 2 years old so any ideas. What is best Location setting for the vpn, will upgradIng the Firestick to a 4K help?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

tonc76 wrote: »
    anyone else having problems accessing BBC iPlayer with expressvpn? Haven't been able to access all week

Yeah its not working for the last week or so,they said they are looking into a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

pavb2 wrote: »
    Hi all Having problems with buffering so set up a trial version of Express vpn just watching some live football on the Firestick And all Seemed to be much improved until it reached a penalty shoot out and the whole thing started buffering and eventually froze.

Internet connection is ok I’ve done all the Firestick resets, clean ups using apps like refresh your firetv Etc the Firestick is about 2 years old so any ideas. What is best Location setting for the vpn, will upgradIng the Firestick to a 4K help?

The server you were getting stream from got overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

chrisire wrote: »
    Yeah its not working for the last week or so,they said they are looking into a fix.

Changed over to NordVPN last week and it's working again for me.

Wish they'd piss off with this Marvelous Miss Mazel banner across the top every time you turn it on these days, its been there for months now and annoys me every time I turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy the 4k stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

Wish they'd piss off with this Marvelous Miss Mazel banner across the top every time you turn it on these days, its been there for months now and annoys me every time I turn it on.

Must be just yours. They're currently advertising The Boys on mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I can't find the Virgin media player app via search. Is there an apk I need?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Custom Launchers and home button works again.

See TechDoctorUK youtube tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG6bkiRjJeI

Make sure you uninstall your previous FireTVSettings app.

Working for me now using Wolf Launcher - its a bit more cumbersome now to go back to stock home screen to access settings - but seems to be working fine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

I have a firestick and I'm having big issues with lipsync on videos, particularly Amazon Prime videos. Anyone have similar and any ideas how to solve this? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Just checking if Peacock is working ok for the premiership games?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

bobbyg wrote: »
    Just checking if Peacock is working ok for the premiership games?
    Yep, working for me with SmartDNS.
    I have Peacock Premium, but I did read that it's available on their free service at the moment, don't quote me on that though

The picture quality is great, the delay about 15s. Both better than NowTV

They're not showing all the games though, I thought they were. About half by the look of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I'm having constant problems watching anything on Peacock either on the side loaded app or my laptop, sometimes it's fine but most of the time it's either freezing, buffering and outright nothing playing. Going by reddit I'm not the only one, luckily I still have about 6 weeks left on my trial to see if they sort things out

Stupid fecking Google/Youtube have crippled the voice control of the Youtube app for no reason, now when you tell it to do anything it still starts the Youtube app but they've added a pop-up every time asking "Are you sure you want to play this video?" and it just sits there waiting for you to physically press yes on the remote! First world problems but they've completely ruined a pretty handy feature for no reason like they seem to love doing.

FFS I just held down the microphone button and said "Play Sky News Live on Youtube", Im pretty sure thats what I want it to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bobgaf

Anyone having issues with Getflix SmartDNS on the Firestick ?
    On WiFi, with the Getflix DNS set, the Amazon Home page will not load, saying it cannot
    connect to the Amazon servers.
    This happens, even though the Network test on the Settings page is successful with no errors.
    I then reset the WiFi settings to the standard Virgin Media DNS settings and the Amazon Home page
    is visible.
    However, I cannot use the UK tv players unless I then change the WiFi DNS back to the Getflix DNS settings
    and then I can use BBC and ITV players.
    So, is anyone using Getflix SmartDNS settings on the Firestick ( standard version ) and if so are there any issues ?
    Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

On the Getflix app (on my phone) I have Amazon Prime set to "off". I think you have to have it either set to off or else to the country where your Amazon account is set up.
    Once I do that my Firesticks work fine with BBC iplayer, ITV etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bobgaf

Tried your suggestion above and so far so good.
    Initially, I logged an issue with Getflix and they suggested two new DNS addresses.
    These did not work initially and I had to load the Amazon Home page with the default VM DNS addresses
    and then switch to the Getflix DNS addresses to get the UK players. That worked for a while but got the same issue
    this morning with the Amazon Home page not loading.
    Have now Amazon Prime set to "off" in the Getflix account and the Amazon Home page has loaded after a few restarts
    and power-downs. Will test further over the weekend and update then.

Advertisement