Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Now TV Ireland is now available for firestick. You have to use the search function in the appstore to find it. It won't download if you try directly from the main screen.

Great news for me. I'm down to one device for all my televisual needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    F1tv subreddit on reddit is fairly active check that out.
    Had a look, very comprehensive. Seems like pro on firestick isn't launched just yet. You'd think an org as profitable as F1 would have their platforms ready for start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭batistuta9

johnire wrote: »
    I've sideloaded an APK for the RTE Player but the content on it is different to the official app I have on my iPad. Has anyone else noticed this? The content on the Firestick through the APK is much less.

What do you think is missing?

I only use it on the firestick really, live TV I think is the only thing missing on that app.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cyril42

I was asked if i had a licence and then had to enter license number to gain access to iplayer, Haven't tried it since. Must have another look. Tried using a VPN on my laptop to access iPlayer,it worked, i was even able to download a tv show after downloading the BBC download app. must have a look if it works on a Firestick. didn't have to put in licence number just confirm i had one and use a N.Ireland postcode

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

cyril42 wrote: »
    I was asked if i had a licence and then had to enter license number to gain access to iplayer, Haven't tried it since. Must have another look. Tried using a VPN on my laptop to access iPlayer,it worked, i was even able to download a tv show after downloading the BBC download app. must have a look if it works on a Firestick. didn't have to put in licence number just confirm i had one and use a N.Ireland postcode

Did you have a BBC account?
    I always log in and have never been asked a post code or license number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 cyril42

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Did you have a BBC account?
    I always log in and have never been asked a post code or license number.

Just needed the postcode when setting up BBC account. I have since tried downloading the iPlayer app on an Android phone and an Apple iPad, even though iam connect to UK using a VPN cannot download app as it says that this app is to available in your country or region

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Technique

Anyone having trouble with YouTube on the firestick this evening? The app loads and shows the menus and previews, but there's an error when I try to open a video.

YouTube works fine on another Samsung smart TV that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

cyril42 wrote: »
    Just needed the postcode when setting up BBC account. I have since tried downloading the iPlayer app on an Android phone and an Apple iPad, even though iam connect to UK using a VPN cannot download app as it says that this app is to available in your country or region

That's likely down to your Google/iOS account region. Make a UK account or just get the APK from apkmirror or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Technique wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble with YouTube on the firestick this evening? The app loads and shows the menus and previews, but there's an error when I try to open a video.

YouTube works fine on another Samsung smart TV that I have.

No issue for me

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Now TV Ireland is now available for firestick. You have to use the search function in the appstore to find it. It won't download if you try directly from the main screen.

Great news for me. I'm down to one device for all my televisual needs!

Is the app called Now Ireland?

I have downloaded a version but not sure which version it is. Doesn't let me sign in using Irish credentials anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Equium wrote: »
    Is the app called Now Ireland?

I have downloaded a version but not sure which version it is. Doesn't let me sign in using Irish credentials anyway.

It’s just called Now

Mine won't log in at all. When I enter my details it either returns to the previous screen, asking for them again, or gives an unknown page error. The Now app works perfectly fine on my LG TV and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There's different versions of the app. The UK version of the app won't work with Irish accounts.

lertsnim wrote: »
    There's different versions of the app. The UK version of the app won't work with Irish accounts.

I reckon my one is the Irish app. If I use a UK VPN when loading it I get an error message saying login not available on the home screen.

Without a VPN I can get to the login screen. Problem is it just hangs when I enter my details. From the Now website it looks like this issue has been around on most of their apps for years without being fully resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Does anybody have a link for the UK version of the nowtv APK? Specifically the one that works on fire TV stick 4k if there's a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Does anybody have a link for the UK version of the nowtv APK? Specifically the one that works on fire TV stick 4k if there's a difference

Change the location of the Firestick to the UK & download all the UK apps you want. Change location back to Ireland. This isn’t changing geo & no VPN needed. Change in minutes

Transfer Your Amazon Account

To transfer your Amazon account from your current Amazon website to your local Amazon website:Go to Manage Your Content and Devices and click the Preferences tab.Under Country Settings, click Change.Select or enter your address, and then click Update.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Change the location of the Firestick to the UK & download all the UK apps you want. Change location back to Ireland. This isn’t changing geo & no VPN needed. Change in minutes

To transfer your Amazon account from your current Amazon website to your local Amazon website:Go to Manage Your Content and Devices and click the Preferences tab.Under Country Settings, click Change.Select or enter your address, and then click Update.

Hoping you can help me out here please? I’ve changed my location on Amazon the uk, downloaded the bbc and itv player and everything looks great, when I try play live tv they are both saying “sorry something went wrong” any ideas? I can watch any of the catch up content of either app no problem just not the live stuff

Where do you find 'manager your content'

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Hoping you can help me out here please? I’ve changed my location on Amazon the uk, downloaded the bbc and itv player and everything looks great, when I try play live tv they are both saying “sorry something went wrong” any ideas? I can watch any of the catch up content of either app no problem just not the live stuff

What VPN/DNS service are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Leonita

Anybody having problems with the joujou version of RTE this evening? Tired uninstalling and reinstalling but its not working like it always did theres only a small handful of stuff on it.

• Advertisement

Leonita wrote: »
    Anybody having problems with the joujou version of RTE this evening? Tired uninstalling and reinstalling but its not working like it always did theres only a small handful of stuff on it.

Panic over it seems to have sorted itself out now after restarting everything including the modem!

Where do you find 'manager your content'

Follow the steps on the link below

https://support.streamlocator.com/article/77-switch-your-amazon-account-country-to-download-us-uk-apps

Nigzcurran wrote:
    Hoping you can help me out here please? I’ve changed my location on Amazon the uk, downloaded the bbc and itv player and everything looks great, when I try play live tv they are both saying “sorry something went wrong†any ideas? I can watch any of the catch up content of either app no problem just not the live stuff

I'm guessing it's something to do with the vpn or dns you are using.

What VPN/DNS service are you using?

Keepsolid vpn

So I read that express vpn works with bbc player so I got a 30 day free trial and it’s working on the live tv, getting the odd buffer but I’ll see how it goes with the football this evening
    EDIT scratch that idea I just seen that the football is not available on the player! That’s a bit of a downer

Panic over it seems to have sorted itself out now after restarting everything including the modem!

Back to the old tricks tried everything and won't work, anybody else having issues with this apk?
    I really think that amazon have done something to Irish firesticks as now RTE and ITV refuse to work with or without a vpn in recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Back to the old tricks tried everything and won't work, anybody else having issues with this apk?
    I really think that amazon have done something to Irish firesticks as now RTE and ITV refuse to work with or without a vpn in recent days.

There are no Irish firesticks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

I use ExpressVPN and in general find it to excellent. However I’ve never got BBC iplayer to work properly. It plays occasionally but isn’t reliable enough to make plans to watch something. ITV hub is about the same.
    Nigzcurran wrote: »
    So I read that express vpn works with bbc player so I got a 30 day free trial and it’s working on the live tv, getting the odd buffer but I’ll see how it goes with the football this evening
    EDIT scratch that idea I just seen that the football is not available on the player! That’s a bit of a downer

johnire wrote:
    I use ExpressVPN and in general find it to excellent. However I’ve never got BBC iplayer to work properly. It plays occasionally but isn’t reliable enough to make plans to watch something. ITV hub is about the same.

Expressvpn has a dns service too. Its encluded with your annual subscription. Iplayer and prime work perfectly with it. I don't use it myself at the moment because it doesn't cover UK now tv

• Advertisement

Expressvpn has a dns service too. Its encluded with your annual subscription. Iplayer and prime work perfectly with it. I don't use it myself at the moment because it doesn't cover UK now tv

I lowered the resolution down to SD on the iplayer and it ran a lot better but I have no interest in watching anything nowadays in SD! It’s not my broadband as I run 4K Netflix and Disney with zero issues. The whole vpn thing is a bit of a mess as there dosnt seem to be any vpn that works on everything.

Advertisement