Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

'And it does really annoy me that if it was me brandishing a knife at Gardai the other day I would not be shot at all, but because the guy was black it happened and people think it was justified...'

Sorry now, but you are completely wrong here. Every incident is unique and they must be assessed by the members at the scene and dealt with by those members, in whatever way they feel is justified at the time.
    I will not have you suggesting that gardai are racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

bubblypop wrote: »
    'And it does really annoy me that if it was me brandishing a knife at Gardai the other day I would not be shot at all, but because the guy was black it happened and people think it was justified...'

Sorry now, but you are completely wrong here. Every incident is unique and they must be assessed by the members at the scene and dealt with by those members, in whatever way they feel is justified at the time.
    I will not have you suggesting that gardai are racist.

you won't and what you gonna do about it? Present facts and arguments? Nope nothing... just your feelings hurt and nothing else... facts don't care about your feelings I'm afraid...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Vieira82 wrote: »
    OH MAN! I actually hoped you'd have the decency to at least try to admit something you're wrong... but obviously you don't... :D

All you did was just mumble about topics you hold no grasp and now that I caught you sudently play the passive agressive card that is always the same from people defending your beliefs.
    I only threw in the passive aggressive reference as you pepper your text with smileys and that's usually the sign of someone in passive aggressive mode.

Anyway, you claimed:

"big percentage of genetics from the Basque Country in Ireland"

This is wildly incorrect. A belief based on now outdated science that noted the R1b haplogroup is present in high amounts in Irish and Basque men. However they are a different form and the relationship that exists is far more ancient than any recent migration(by recent I mean in the last 5000 years).

You claimed:

"Then the Celts appeared and mingled with most populations"

This is incorrect in the case of Ireland. Unlike in England where Saxon genetics are present in the East of that country, there is no evidence of population migration from central European "celts" to Ireland. It was a cultural movement not a population one.

You claimed:

"Christianity brought hermits from all over Europe to Ireland, because of it's percieved remoteness of a land outside of the crumbling Roman Empire"

Incorrect. While Christianity was likely present in Ireland by the 5th century the only "hermits from all over Europe" at that stage were Palladius and Patrick. After Rome fell and insular Christianity really got going in Ireland the flow of people/missionaries was almost entirely one way, from Ireland to Europe.
    I really hoped you'd learn something.
    Indeed.

Let me fix that for you:
    McDonald's first opened in 1970's Ireland. We required millions of Irish to be "exported" to America
    To a colony that was founded upon and required (mostly unskilled)labour and colonists to survive. Ireland is not a recent European colony requiring (mostly unskilled)labour and colonists to survive.
    The potato became an Irish staple and we required 10,000 British coming to Ireland for that to happen.
    We drink coffee and tea and we required 10,000 British coming to Ireland for that to happen.
    The French, Dutch, Germans, Italians, Spanish et al eat spuds and drink coffee. 10,000 British people weren't required.

But you're avoiding the point. Cultural exchange doesn't require mass migrations of people and when mass migrations of people do happen it doesn't go well for the locals. In the case of very different people's and cultures meeting it almost always ends up in conflict.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

And it does really annoy me that if it was me brandishing a knife at Gardai the other day I would not be shot at all, but because the guy was black it happened and people think it was justified...

It annoys me because I have seen blatant criminality and anti-social behavior and people complaining about it and the Garda does nothing at all... so suddenly a black guy being shot like he was when a shot in the leg or arm would have rendered him defenseless

Man with fake handgun arrested outside Cork crèche

Gardai probing coercive control charge man after massive search at Cork house

Whatever about your degree which I see you quickly resorted to, with a classless appeal to authority, this above is merely your opinion.

In my opinion you are utterly wrong. Do you understand how that works?

Wibbs wrote: »
    I only threw in the passive aggressive reference as you pepper your text with smileys and that's usually the sign of someone in passive aggressive mode.

Anyway, you claimed:

"big percentage of genetics from the Basque Country in Ireland"

This is wildly incorrect. A belief based on now outdated science that noted the R1b haplogroup is present in high amounts in Irish and Basque men. However they are a different form and the relationship that exists is far more ancient than any recent migration(by recent I mean in the last 5000 years).

You claimed:

"Then the Celts appeared and mingled with most populations"

This is incorrect in the case of Ireland. Unlike in England where Saxon genetics are present in the East of that country, there is no evidence of population migration from central European "celts" to Ireland. It was a cultural movement not a population one.

You claimed:

"Christianity brought hermits from all over Europe to Ireland, because of it's percieved remoteness of a land outside of the crumbling Roman Empire"

Incorrect. While Christianity was likely present in Ireland by the 5th century the only "hermits from all over Europe" at that stage were Palladius and Patrick. After Rome fell and insular Christianity really got going in Ireland the flow of people/missionaries was almost entirely one way, from Ireland to Europe.

Indeed.

Let me fix that for you:
    To a colony that was founded upon and required (mostly unskilled)labour and colonists to survive. Ireland is not a recent European colony requiring (mostly unskilled)labour and colonists to survive.

The French, Dutch, Germans, Italians, Spanish et al eat spuds and drink coffee. 10,000 British people weren't required.

There's not even a point to reply to you anymore, really is it? :D:D:D

Did you even bother to check the links I passed you? :D

• Advertisement

But you're avoiding the point. Cultural exchange doesn't require mass migrations of people and when mass migrations of people do happen it doesn't go well for the locals. In the case of very different people's and cultures meeting it almost always ends up in conflict.

The point is, this is completely untrue and a lie... you can't compare mass immigrations from the 19th century justified as superior races conquering inferior races...

When you're the only one saying that and being afraid your "superior" irish gene will disappear...

You continue to show a lack of understanding of what is state sponsored colonialism like what happened in the Americas and Africa for hundreds of years with people moving around the world like they always did...

Or are you stating Nigeria or Syria have programs to colonize your pristine immaculate Christian Ireland? :D

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Whatever about your degree which I see you quickly resorted to, with a classless appeal to authority, this above is merely your opinion.

In my opinion you are utterly wrong. Do you understand how that works?

Excelente argumentative capacity once again. Well AGAIN, Facts don't care about your feelings and you feeling I'm wrong doesn't mean absolute ****e to me :D

I'll wait patiently for actual arguments from any of you. :)

Anyway guys, I'll leave the pub now... I'm truly sorry I burst so many of your bubbles... :D I hope you'll come back to what I shared and actually learn anything in do time. :)

Feel free to continue with your little racist comments I'll leave you alone now. :)

Peace ;)

you won't and what you gonna do about it? Present facts and arguments? Nope nothing... just your feelings hurt and nothing else... facts don't care about your feelings I'm afraid...

What facts exactly?
    There are no facts other than a criminal would not comply with direction was shot by gardai, it's not the first time it has happened and unfortunately, it probably won't be the last.

So...

1 - Yes you did, you erased the part where you said you got mugged for being white

Now. This. I have never written that I got mugged for being white. I didn't delete such a comment, because I never wrote it.

So. Piss off. If you can't be bothered to deal with what's written, and need to make **** up (badly), then I won't debate anything with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Excelente argumentative capacity once again. Well AGAIN, Facts don't care about your feelings and you feeling I'm wrong doesn't mean absolute ****e to me :D

I'll wait patiently for actual arguments from any of you. :)

The facts are a man was shot. You are assigning the cause of that to the colour of his skin.

That is not a fact.

That is an opinion.

As it happens I only care about what you are saying because you are implicitly slurring an individual & AGS without facts. There is an investigation underway, would the outcome of that have any influence on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Get Real

And it does really annoy me that if it was me brandishing a knife at Gardai the other day I would not be shot at all, but because the guy was black it happened and people think it was justified...

It annoys me because I have seen blatant criminality and anti-social behavior and people complaining about it and the Garda does nothing at all... so suddenly a black guy being shot like he was when a shot in the leg or arm would have rendered him defenseless

This is an absolutely disgraceful statement. I think multiculturalism is one of the best things about this country. Me personally, I don't see colour or nationality. I see people, great ones and arseho1es.

They used pepperspray, and then a tazer on this man, and guess what, he kept going. He also swung and put his full strength into attempting to stab. He had literally carried out a stabbing less than half an hour beforehand. If you do that, regardless of your skin colour, you're at risk of getting shot.

You are unknowingly contributing to racism, do you realise that?

By making claims as fact, that someone was shot because of their skin colour, you feel you are contributing to a cause. While having never been oppressed for this reason yourself. But you can pat yourself on the back that you did "good" today.

What you're actually doing, is giving a reason for racists to feel they can speak out, you're contributing to division, you're causing anger by making this claim. And some groups will think "that's bull, enough is enough" and they will justify their terrible words and actions.

How does saying what you say, help a black person in this country? Would you go and research before making blanket statement. How many black people were arrested last year as a proportion of total arrests? You have an opinion. Please back it up.

Otherwise you're fuelling anger and hate, and giving racist bigots a voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

Anyway guys, I'll leave the pub now... I'm truly sorry I burst so many of your bubbles... :D I hope you'll come back to what I shared and actually learn anything in do time. :)

Feel free to continue with your little racist comments I'll leave you alone now. :)

Peace ;)

You schooled everyone and ticked all the boxes, off you go, enjoy your pints.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Luckily you don't have a firearms qualification because that would have been a waste of time reading that statement. Qualified professionals in firearms are specifically trained to aim for the torso not the limbs. After a serious assault on a security guard and other threatening behaviour while brandishing a knife he was followed at a safe distance and asked to drop the knife and back down. He was tasered and pepper sprayed and still kept threatening the lives of the Guards. Then he was shot.
    Well.. since we're going down the whataboutism road... allow me please...

The Troubles
    Which all came about because of a mass migration and a lack of melting pot. You're kinda not helping the case.
    There's not even a point to reply to you anymore, really is it? :D:D:D

Did you even bother to check the links I passed you? :D
    I did and none back up your claims of "big percentage of genetics from Basques" nor Hermits from all across Europe in 5th century Ireland, nor a migration of Celtic people into Ireland. Not one. Maybe you should read them yourself? I'd also suggest some primers in basic genetics too. EG I have a percentage of neandertal genes(if you're European you have some too), it doesn't mean neandertals were ever in Ireland. It does mean that common ancestors of Europeans and Asians shagged Neandertals and the echoes of that remain, just like the R1b haplogroup remains in some western European populations .

Peace ;)
    And more of the passive aggressive smileys and the usual; post stuff, which is shown to be half truths at best, downright wrong at worst and then rather than argue points that have been brought up after your first rebuttal(which to be fair to you was extensive) run away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Get Real wrote: »
    This is an absolutely disgraceful statement. I think multiculturalism is one of the best things about this country. Me personally, I don't see colour or nationality. I see people, great ones and arseho1es.

They used pepperspray, and then a tazer on this man, and guess what, he kept going. He also swung and put his full strength into attempting to stab. He had literally carried out a stabbing less than half an hour beforehand. If you do that, regardless of your skin colour, you're at risk of getting shot.

You are unknowingly contributing to racism, do you realise that?

By making claims as fact, that someone was shot because of their skin colour, you feel you are contributing to a cause. While having never been oppressed for this reason yourself. But you can pat yourself on the back that you did "good" today.

What you're actually doing, is giving a reason for racists to feel they can speak out, you're contributing to division, you're causing anger by making this claim. And some groups will think "that's bull, enough is enough" and they will justify their terrible words and actions.

How does saying what you say, help a black person in this country? Would you go and research before making blanket statement. How many black people were arrested last year as a proportion of total arrests? You have an opinion. Please back it up.

Otherwise you're fuelling anger and hate, and giving racist bigots a voice.
    Quoted for truth. That's the problem with too much so called "liberal" thought, particularly in the area of identity politics. It looks at groups rather than individuals and marks them out as different as victims or victimisers and just as divisively and stereotypically as any right wing skinhead racist. And because they get far more airtime they can do far more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well.. since we're going down the whataboutism road... allow me please...

The Troubles
    I suppose in your view Muslims killing Christians is the same as Protestants killing Catholics in Northern Ireland.

The Troubles are long gone but Muslims killing Christians still happens every day.
    In fact Christians are the most persecuted religious group in the world.

But sure, you keep thinking it's the same as the Troubles..

biko wrote: »
    But sure, you keep thinking it's the same as the Troubles..
    Well it is. Two different cultures with different allegiances don't tend to mix well over time, the melting pot melts and conflict inevitably kicks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Peace ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

Peace ;)

Simple question for you ( and I hope that it never happens BTW. I've seen what Machetes can do )
    An out of control man / woman is coming at you wildly swinging a machete, and you have a loaded gun, but only have a short time to react. What would you do?
    Run for your life and hope for the best?
    Try the humane way, aim for a disabling but non critical shot?
    Aim for the biggest target, chest / stomach?
    Or ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well it is. Two different cultures with different allegiances don't tend to mix well over time, the melting pot melts and conflict inevitably kicks off.
    I would say that it's not. For an Abrahamic religion to attack another is not the same as infighting.
    Islam already have an tenuous equivalent to the Troubles - the schism between Sunni and Shia muslims.

The world-wide killings of Christians can not, and should not, be compared to isolated attacks in one region of one country.
    The poster I responded to tries to explain away the suffering and horrors experienced by an entire religion at the hands of another religion.

But you're right, it strengthens the argument that mixing culture expressions like religions simply won't work.
    The muslim knows this and that is why they are simply killing off other religions in the regions they hold.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    So their argument is that since Ireland has no 'real' culture, we should be grateful of multiculturalism, which adds culture to our lives. It is really a bizarre and illogical argument.

And we certainly don't want inner city London gangsterism with the fake accents or the American inspired degenerate 'gangsta' culture.

Who would want that as cultural enrichment.

jmreire wrote: »
    Simple question for you ( and I hope that it never happens BTW. I've seen what Machetes can do )
    An out of control man / woman is coming at you wildly swinging a machete, and you have a loaded gun, but only have a short time to react. What would you do?
    Run for your life and hope for the best?
    Try the humane way, aim for a disabling but non critical shot?
    Aim for the biggest target, chest / stomach?
    Or ?????

You shoot the fu*ker square in the chest no matter who they are. Otherwise you risk injury or death yourself. And remember who was the aggressor and who was defending themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ahh no. It depends entirely on the disability. My shaking disorder prevents me from all manner of jobs that require fine control. I couldn't wait tables, nor can I fly an airplane, because my shaking disorder prevents doing so safely. I can thrive in society well enough because I've chosen roles that aren't dependent on my having a steady hand, or won't be affected if my arms suddenly spasm. Disabilities do matter though. Ask anyone who has one, and whether their choices in determining their future has been affected. Not by other peoples judgment of them (although that's certainly part of it) but by the disability itself.

I’m not saying disabilities don’t matter, I’m saying that they aren’t a factor in anyone’s ability to contribute positively to society and thrive in society. The point wasn’t about what anyone’s disability prevents them from doing, it was that there are any number of ways in which they can contribute positively to society and thrive. I can understand why people with disabilities would focus on their disability and what it prevents them from doing, but I don’t need to ask anyone what has their disability prevented them from doing when I’m more interested in what they can do and their potential for development. I won’t be a commercial pilot any time soon either, but that has more to do with the fact that I simply have never learned how to fly than anything it has to do with being blind in one eye or dyslexic -

Half Blind Pilot Inspires Others

That’s not to say I don’t get where you’re coming from though, I failed the medical for the army because of my click hip, even though I was fitter than any of the other candidates there. Running, while excruciatingly painful, isn’t something I was incapable of. They just weren’t keen on giving me a chance to prove I was as qualified as any other candidate, and it still pangs to this day that I wasn’t given the opportunity, in spite of all the potential negative outcomes I’ve become aware of since, in spite of doing something else entirely with my life. Still sore about that one, so I do get where you’re coming from, even though I’ve been incredibly fortunate since with employers who have been more understanding and willing to take a risk where others wouldn’t. Ask them and they’ll say it was a good return on investment, if only for sheer comedy value alone than any work I might actually be caught doing :D

I had always wanted to be a teacher too as I’m passionate both about working with children and education, and encouraging children to see the value in education, but I just didn’t have the confidence because I thought being dyslexic I’m gonna fcuk up, I won’t be good enough to be an educator, in spite of my mother’s insistence to the contrary. I thought about doing the Hibernia just to have it, but there are other factors which just put me off - the biggest one being the amount of bureaucracy and paperwork involved. The fact that the pay is shìte is also a factor, but not big enough to put me off.

True enough.. although their race, disability, or socioeconomic background can easily be one of the reasons why they "don't already have the ability or education or skills or indeed the financial resources to provide for themselves or their families".

Yes, and that’s my point - rather than focusing on what a person can’t do, I focus on what they can do already and their potential development to enable them to do more. It’s often a huge risk, but the times it has paid off occur far more than the times it hasn’t. There are no guarantees, there are things I may overlook or things happen which I couldn’t have foreseen, but most of the time the investment has paid great dividends and provided great value for the investment in them. Like I said - I’ve been incredibly fortunate in the amount of people who have taken a great risk investing in me, and I’ve always appreciated the opportunity and it’s become my personal philosophy that I pay it forward, and the people I invest in pay it forward.

Nope. I referred to corporal punishment as one of the social constraints that have been removed which previously was a factor in restraining anti-social behavior. Just as I placed the protection of teens in the same sentence. By removing the traditional methods to restrict social disorder, without replacing them with anything more effective, it simply contributed to the increase of that disorder.. And so people blame parents for the lack of discipline or the aggressive behavior of teens. Simply expecting parents to be better parents without teaching them to be better parents always seemed the height of foolishness to me.

I get where you’re coming from, but I see that (and I’m not saying you do it, you’re talking about other people), as people looking for someone or something to blame for someone’s shìtty behaviour, as though children are actually empty urns filled only by their parents values and influences. It has to occur to people that children have their own personalities and are influenced by numerous influences in society, could be their parents that inspire them, or a teacher who inspires them, or their peer group who inspires them (and any of those influences can have both positive and negative influences).

Except they're not. Which is why across Europe, schools/universities are struggling to provide for migrants because they have greater needs beyond that of natives. Oh, you'll find plenty of articles saying that schools/universities are failing migrants, but if you compare articles, you'll often find that migrants are being treated the same as natives (in poor/disadvantaged areas), but deserve more. More of everything.. which teachers don't have the time/resources to provide.

And it doesn't bear out in terms of adult migrant refugees, who tend to end up and stay in low income positions. If they had education to the Irish standard, then they would be able to climb the career ladders, the same as Irish people. A hefty percentage of migrants don't.

Schools across Europe and Universities are struggling to provide for migrants, because they don’t want to. That’s essentially what it comes down to. I don’t need to look for articles to say they’re failing migrants because from what I can see they’re failing the student body in any third level institutions in numerous different ways, and it’s only coming to the fore now because third level institutions are struggling for investment at a time when people are asking questions about whether or not they’re getting value for their investment. Can you see a correlation between the two statements in bold? Because I can. Migrants, not unlike many Irish people, aren’t aware of the numerous supports which are already provided, they’ve just resigned themselves to imagining the supports don’t exist. Those who want to succeed, whether they be Irish, immigrant or disabled, will succeed in spite of things like the language barrier and the lack of accessible facilities, because the one thing they have in common is the motivation to better themselves. Even better if they are given the opportunities to develop their potential.

If wishes were fishes, poor people wouldn't starve. There aren't the jobs for them. Ireland's economy is mostly based on a reasonably high skill level, whether that be IT, Pharma or specialised manufacturing. Employment provided to them, takes employment away from our own low-skilled workforce. As I said, such jobs tend to be temporary, unreliable and low paid... which means people shift around on job offers. And support? For how long? For how many of them? To what extent? (I'm not even going to bother with the innovation remark. There's the obvious counter)

But as you said, we're very dependent on foreign multinationals (and a few of our own)... what happens when (not if) a few of them leave? Irish people become jobless, all the while we've been encouraging more immigrants to come in. What happens to both the Irish and the immigrants then, with a failing economy, and rising unemployment?

What’s the obvious counter to the innovation remark that I’m not thinking of? It’s the fundamental basis of economic growth rather than producing graduates just to fill job positions, perpetuating dependency of sucking on the titty of foreign multinationals instead of real job creation and long term employment. We don’t teach innovation in this country in the same way they do in an actual competitive economy like China. Instead we do as I suggested - the same thing as we’ve always done, produce well-educated automatons who have poor problem-solving skills.

What happens if/when foreign multinationals leave? Then everyone who is dependent upon them has the choice to upskill, train to do something else, or sit on their hole and get bitter about “their jobs” being taken. You’re displaying that misguided sense of loyalty I spoke of earlier too btw in thinking that because someone is Irish they’re somehow owed a position over a migrant. Having hired numerous candidates in various different positions, their nationality was never a consideration I’d thought of before. I wouldn’t favour a candidate just because they’re Irish, they’re not entitled to a position above another candidate solely based upon their nationality. I wouldn’t encourage that kind of thinking in Government either when it comes to Enterprise, development and job creation. It’s bad enough that they write people off solely on the basis that they don’t have a sufficient grasp of the English language.

We already have a wide range of systems under strain. Education needs reform along with a major infusion of investment. That's just for our current population... never mind about adding another, what, 50k/100k migrants to the mix.

You speak of the wasted investments.. sure.. I get that.. I really do.. but I see the migrant issue as being another colossal waste of money too. I see very few benefits considering our native population (or EU connections) can provide everything Ireland needs to succeed. The immigration of low skilled/low educated migrants leads to extremely dubious benefits, and a whole host of long-term negatives, which we're starting to see manifest in Europe.

Just for shìts ‘n’ giggles, I looked up last night how many babies were born last year. Nearly 70,000 apparently, though you’d never know it (I have a suspicion that this years figure will be significantly higher :D). The point being that nobody has talked about even 100,000 immigrants entering the country in a calendar year. And even if there were, which is incredibly unlikely in any case, but just hypothetically if there was indeed a mass influx of immigrants - we’d be caught with our pants around our ankles because we’re just badly prepared for even the few that do come here that we try to keep them contained in conditions I wouldn’t keep a dog in, and it’s costing us billions, money which would be far better invested IMO in providing training and development and resources to enable immigrants to contribute to society instead of being either plonked in the arsehole of nowhere and expected to get on with it (some do, with great difficulty), or holed up in a mouldy hotel or detention centre which is just an unhealthy environment either for people who are homeless or immigrants. It’s no different IMO than when we institutionalised people to keep them out of sight of “civilised” society. We don’t appear to have learned anything from our history, because here we are repeating the same mistakes again and expecting different results, and you’re talking about the long term negatives of an alternative which has been practiced in other countries of providing necessary supports in order to enable people to integrate into society and contribute to society, while maintaining their own cultures and values. Instead you’re still arguing about assimilation rather than recognising that differences aren’t inherently a bad thing.

We're far off topic with the disabilities aspect, but I think we're in agreement. I'm not replying to everything because I feel we're moving too far from the OP, and the thread content.
    Schools across Europe and Universities are struggling to provide for migrants, because they don’t want to. That’s essentially what it comes down to. I don’t need to look for articles to say they’re failing migrants because from what I can see they’re failing the student body in any third level institutions in numerous different ways, and it’s only coming to the fore now because third level institutions are struggling for investment at a time when people are asking questions about whether or not they’re getting value for their investment. Can you see a correlation between the two statements in bold? Because I can.

Except, this isn't solely about adult/third level education. When you look at the problems with providing education to migrant children, schools are failing because they can't dedicate enough resources to migrant children, who need more support than natives. That's the case with both primary and secondary level education in Germany.

In any case, regardless of the problems with Universities, the qualifications of migrants from 3rd world nations, typically, are not on par with Irish qualifications. I'm not going to repeat the reasons why.
    Migrants, not unlike many Irish people, aren’t aware of the numerous supports which are already provided, they’ve just resigned themselves to imagining the supports don’t exist. Those who want to succeed, whether they be Irish, immigrant or disabled, will succeed in spite of things like the language barrier and the lack of accessible facilities, because the one thing they have in common is the motivation to better themselves. Even better if they are given the opportunities to develop their potential.

Opportunities that cost the State and take focus away from native students. You seem to constantly want to improve the chances of migrants without considering the costs involved. Each migrant who remains in Ireland, who needs to further their education is costing the State... Monies that could be better spent to provide better education for our own people.
    What’s the obvious counter to the innovation remark that I’m not thinking of?

That there's no viable case that Irish people aren't capable of innovating by themselves. We don't need migrants to innovate for us... and there's little guarantee that migrants would anyway, considering the limitations of their own cultural/economic backgrounds.
    What happens if/when foreign multinationals leave? Then everyone who is dependent upon them has the choice to upskill, train to do something else, or sit on their hole and get bitter about “their jobs” being taken. You’re displaying that misguided sense of loyalty I spoke of earlier too btw in thinking that because someone is Irish they’re somehow owed a position over a migrant.

Nope. That's not a misguided sense of loyalty. That's the benefits of being a citizen. An Irish citizen should have priority over migrants.

In any case, you've skipped over the core point. Those multinationals leave, unemployment rises, welfare needs rise, government revenue drops, and we have an increased number of care for because we have a host of migrants who need educating and be provided jobs, in addition to the Irish people.
    It’s bad enough that they write people off solely on the basis that they don’t have a sufficient grasp of the English language.

It's a practical consideration. I'd rather that Ireland remains a primarily english speaking country, rather than one with a variety of competing languages. I can remember the Turkish quarter in Frankfurt almost 30 years ago... many of the Turks couldn't speak German, and only spoke to each other in their own language. A ethnic enclave where people were employed by other Turks, but the whole area was transformed from being part of a German city, to being part of a Turkish city.

I don't want that for Ireland... and reducing the importance of language will result in such changes.
    The point being that nobody has talked about even 100,000 immigrants entering the country in a calendar year.

Nor did i. I expect we'll have received between 50k - 100k migrants over the next 10 years. And considering the time required to obtain an education, get jobs, etc, they'll need to be provided for during that period.
    We don’t appear to have learned anything from our history, because here we are repeating the same mistakes again and expecting different results, and you’re talking about the long term negatives of an alternative which has been practiced in other countries of providing necessary supports in order to enable people to integrate into society and contribute to society, while maintaining their own cultures and values. Instead you’re still arguing about assimilation rather than recognising that differences aren’t inherently a bad thing.

Agreed, we are repeating the same mistakes... and making a few new ones too. I'm talking about both short, and long term negatives. The cost to the state, the duration that many of these migrants need before gaining any kind of decent employment, the increased strain on wonky systems, the failures of multicultural societies across Europe, etc.

Ireland is not Germany. It's not even the UK. It doesn't have the economy, and revenue to provide the services and supports that they could to migrants... Even they failed. Failed badly in many instances. And you expect Ireland to do better with less resources/revenue. Yup.

Oh.. and I've said repeatedly on this thread that I'm not interested in assimilation, but rather integration.. I actually know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

And we certainly don't want inner city London gangsterism with the fake accents or the American inspired degenerate 'gangsta' culture.

Who would want that as cultural enrichment.

Too late for that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Too late for that

That is pure cringe.

statesaver wrote: »
    That is pure cringe.
    Meh, it's what young musicians do for the most part and always have. Find common cultural references and big the drama up. And irritate the old of course. So sex drugs and rock and roll(fighting). Some of the people who are grandparents now where going on about anarchy in the UK and all that punk stuff. Metal is full of that kinda thing. Rap from the start amped all that up and IIRC its biggest audience is or was middle class White people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

The Irish drill scene. So much to look forward to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3JLUDFKPE

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

I feel that's exactly the opposite of what you did previously.

How you "feel" is irrelevant. Your "feelings" on a topic is not evidence that you are right or wrong.
    I get the feeling that you don't know what the argument is, or rather you like to shift the goalposts.

Again, how you "feel" is irrelevant. Your "feelings" on a topic is not evidence that you are right or wrong.
    The argument is straightforward: You posted that Sweden was a "poster child" for immigration, that a supposed increase in crime was directly related to immigration and suggested that the same would happen to Ireland:
    Regarding Sweden.

"The investigation (from 2002 to 2017) covers seven distinct categories of crime, and distinguishes between seven regions of origin. Based on 33 per cent of the population (2017), 58 per cent of those suspect for total crime on reasonable grounds are migrants. Regarding murder, manslaughter and attempted murder, the figures are 73 per cent, while the proportion of robbery is 70 per cent. Non-registered migrants are linked to about 13 per cent of total crime. Given the fact that this group is small, crime propensity among non-registered migrants is significant"

" Due to migration, murder rate in Sweden has quadrupled"

And yes, many migrants don't engage in crime, but the fact remains that Sweden, the poster child for rapid change of a mostly homogeneous population, has experienced a huge increase in crime, and one that can be directly connected to it's immigration policies.

The full report is definitely worth a read. After reading it, perhaps ask the question, why would Ireland be different?

The research you linked to struggles to demonstrate causality. I gave a summary of other research that showed that there is little to no link between migration and crime in Sweden:
    McHardcore wrote: »
    A big issue with current research investigating immigration and crime is that they struggle to show causality, or dont show it at all. To give an example, immigrants are often placed into deprived areas as its cheaper both in cost and political capital to do so. Also, immigrants move there themselves as they cannot afford to stay in more well off areas. It is not accurate to compare the crime levels of a population in deprived areas compared to more well-off areas. This socioeconomic factor and others need to be taken into account. You need to compare like with like, in this example, native members of the population and immigrants living in the same areas.

With these additional factors in mind, FactCheck.Org noted that "experts said there is no evidence of a major crime wave." in Sweden. According to official statistics, the reported crime rate in Sweden has risen since 2005 whereas annual government surveys show that the number of Swedes experiencing crime remain steady since 2005, even as Sweden has taken in hundreds of thousands of immigrants and refugees over the same period.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-sweden-idUSKBN15Y0QH
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-sweden-twitter-235196
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/02/24/no-sweden-isnt-hiding-an-immigrant-crime-problem-this-is-the-real-story/
    https://www.smh.com.au/world/the-swedish-migrant-crime-story-that-donald-trump-didnt-tell-20170225-gul5s6.html

Jerzy Sarnecki, a criminologist professor at the University of Stockholm, said foreign-born residents are twice as likely to be registered for a crime as native Swedes but that other factors beyond place of birth are at play, such as education level and poverty, and that similar trends occur in European countries that have not taken in a lot of immigrants in recent years.

Additional research from Stockholm University found that there was "only a small correlation in the crime of individuals who share the same origin, indicating that culture is unlikely to be a strong cause of crime among immigrants."

D. Boateng et al looked at the relationship between crime and immigration in a number of European countries, including Sweden and Ireland and found that
    "the results indicated a null relationship between immigration and crime, suggesting that immigration is unrelated to all the three types of crimes assessed. Based on these results, it is recommended that immigration-related policies will be based on fact and evidence, and not on sentiments and perceptions."

Beckley et al. criticised previous reports that did not take into account population's employment, education level and age, all of which affect level of crime. In general, research that takes these factors into account does not support the idea that there is a link between immigration and crime (The Routledge Handbook on Crime and International Migration. Routledge. p. 42.).

If we look at Sweden's National Council for Crime Prevention, Stina Holmberg said that "there is no basis for drawing the conclusion that crime rates are soaring in Sweden and that that is related to immigration"

Swedish police published data that showed from October 2015 to January 2016, 5,000 police calls out of 537,466 involved asylum seekers and refugees.
    The professor of criminology at Stockholm University, Felipe Estrada, has said this shows how the media gives disproportionate attention to and exaggerates the alleged criminal involvement of asylum seekers and refugees.

Some other sources that show that there is no link between immigration and crime in Sweden, or that the link is mixed at best:
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/feb/20/what-statistics-say-about-immigration-and-sweden/
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258182579_Are_Children_of_Immigrants_Born_in_Sweden_More_Law-Abiding_Than_Immigrants_A_Reconsideration
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/swedish-immigration-is-not-out-of-control-it-s-actually-getting-more-restrictive-a7605071.html

You gave a blanket dismissal of States and "organisations" reports on migration as there was a "inherent bias in what they report" and "a direct bias to present immigration as being a net benefit, to justify the agendas at play.":
    The majority of organisations who dedicate themselves to making reports are directly involved in immigration, or activism, and have an inherent bias in what they report, and how they present it.

State reporting, typically, is more reliable, however, due to the focus on promoting immigration over the last two decades (as part of State/EU policy), they've allowed other organisations to take over the primary active role in doing so. Why? Because there was a direct bias to present immigration as being a net benefit, to justify the agendas at play.

Considering that you use links to these State and "organisations" reports in your own posts...:
    Throughout this thread, I have provided various links to back up my statements. .... I've invariably pulled a report or two to do that.

...dismissing them is a hypocritical argument. If you feel that your State and "organisations" reports are correct, but everyones elses are wrong, you need to clearly identify why the other persons report is wrong. Vague blanket dismissals of "inherent bias" in everyone else's reports is a weak argument and undermines the reports that you have linked to yourself.
    Sure I did... but then, there tends to be the assumption that people won't take such statements as an absolute.

If you cannot stand by what you said then don't say it in the first place: other readers might believe what you said. When Trump first spoke of the link between immigration and crime in Sweden people believed him without looking into other evidence against it.

You've an awful habit of twisting comments.

Highlighting the hypocrisy of your argument is not "twisting comments"
    I'm curious why you sought to engage with me rather than with Biko, since he's prominent on theSweden thread, whereas I just popped up a single piece of research on the subject.

Again, if you cannot stand by what you said then don't say it in the first place.
    Gibbligook.

?

• Advertisement

McHardcore wrote: »
    Again, if you cannot stand by what you said then don't say it in the first place.

Oh I do. Sweden was held up for being a model state with regards to its openness to immigrants for a long time, and there has been direct rises in crime as a result of that immigration.

I and another poster put up some research and links referring to such a connection. You came along and posted research or articles saying that there is no link.

What? You expect me to simply accept that your sources are right and ours are wrong? Nah. I see little point arguing with you about it because it simply comes down to which research or articles, someone wants to accept.

In any case, I'm not very familiar with Sweden, nor do I keep up to date about their circumstances. I can recall them being used as a role model for those spouting about the benefits of multiculturalism. I did a very easy and simple search for crime in relation to migrants and found that research, along with a variety of articles. There you go.

And should you not want to accept my opinion. Fine. I have little expectation that you would gracefully accept a difference in opinion, based on the manner of your responses so far.

Advertisement