Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Agree on the first part. :D
    There’s a correlation between race and social status if someone wants there to be one.

If someone wants there to be one? That strikes me as odd. If Africans are coming into a western nation without the education/skills (or financial resources to get set up), then they'll likely end up at the bottom of society in terms of income. Their race is a factor when comparing them with other similar groups... it's not a matter of deciding to focus on race entirely, because that would be a matter of racism. Which I hope you're not suggesting about those here... (I don't think you are, but that opening sentence made me.. think along those lines)
    There are many correlations can be made such as any particular demographics attitudes to education, attitudes to their place within society in terms of their perception of class, their attitudes towards their own people, their attitudes towards other people, and all these are contributing factors which influence social mobility so much as to say there are ‘certain’ racial/cultural groups who are at the bottom, and some who are at the top. You’ll be familiar I suppose with how Chinese children fare in Irish education, I suppose I’d include Eastern European children in that too - genuinely excel far and above Irish children when it comes to mathematics, but far below Irish children when it comes to the main language used in Irish schools. No amount of replacements for corporal punishment can address that discrepancy.

Well, first off, I mentioned corporal punishment in regards to anti-social behavior... not in regards to any other aspect of society. Context is important. Which I believe you know, and yet, you decided to put that in. Seems strange to me.

Secondly, I don't see how you're disagreeing with me about social mobility and the difficulties those migrants face, when they enter a nation at that level.
    Migrants are already at average Irish levels because the vast majority of migrants are as well educated as Irish people, with the main barrier apart from their qualifications not being recognised in this country is the language barrier.

Hold up. Their educational qualifications, (if they exist at all) do matter in terms of quality. I've taught at various levels of education abroad, and there are gaping holes in many educational systems. We might criticise our own education for being lacking, but it's far better funded and fit for purpose than what you'll find in most third world countries. Getting a qualification in most African colleges is not comparable with an Irish one, except, in some cases where that African college has received the funding and recognition for being honest, and effective in teaching.

As an example, say from teaching at University level in Mainland China, it is extremely common for exam grades to be 'marked up' due to being an ethnic minority. Each semester I receive a list of student numbers who are minorities, and are told to give them special attention. Just as it's still quite common for Professors to be bribed into passing or giving better marks to students (in spite of the lackluster/selective anti-corruption initiatives by the CCP).

Education is not equal across the world. Not simply the implementation and transferal of knowledge, but there is so much corruption in many countries, which is why there is so much emphasis within EU Educational qualifications for commonly acceptable standards.

Skilled/educated (to a reasonably high standard) can prove their worth.. and ability easily enough to be comparable or better than Irish people. Sure. But the majority of migrants we've received who are on the bottom of the economic poll didn't enter because they were extremely skilled/educated people.
    Then there are those migrants, and I get what Wibbs means by “importing an underclass”, with all the associated problems of their associating themselves with an underclass of Irish society which already exists here (their common understanding being opportunities for anti-social and criminal behaviour), and it’s only those people really, or that class of people, which need to be targeted as a whole, rather than assuming by default that migrants are entering the country to take advantage of our generous social welfare system, when the criminal element don’t need it, and the employable element don’t want it.

Another "hold on" moment. It's okay to take them as a whole for other causes, but not for consideration that they're seeking handouts or... Seems odd.

In any case, I don't believe that most are coming here with the aim of getting on welfare. Oh, I do believe that they're aware of the benefits of living in a welfare state, and want the improvements in health, education, etc when compared to their own country.. but I don't see anything wrong with that.

The problem is that there aren't the jobs for them. I've said this multiple times already. We don't have a manufacturing base, or large enough service economy (which is where low skilled people typically end up working in), to cover the needs of so many low-skilled migrants. Those industries aren't growing, and we already have a native population of low skilled people wanting those positions.

In addition, those positions are typically temporary, unreliable, and provide a rather low income for people who have no resources from a family network (here) to help them get by. As such, government supplements are required... which still won't provide them with enough to be comparable to the average Middle Class Irish family, which they want to experience.
    I prefer to focus on the potential of the employable element than get bogged down in trying to change some people’s habits of a lifetime. I’ve no interest in breaking my balls at that craic, and in my experience the people who pretend they do care about those people whom they claim can’t fend for themselves (or those who are left behind as you say), are as much a drain on society as the criminal element, only for the fact that they’re legitimately funded by the various Government departments and the HSE, and they don’t actually want any kind of social progress or policy to interfere with their income.

I honestly don't have much of an opinion on that. Every nation has a portion of the population who fail or never really attempt to succeed. I see little reason to increase the population of such people in Ireland.. Yes, I do actually believe that most migrants who come to Ireland want to succeed... but I don't believe Ireland will ever have the resources available to help them to succeed.. and each failure means more people staying on welfare or other government supplements (both while attempting to succeed, and if/when they fail to achieve parity with others)

You see, I look at the investment angle of all this. Low skilled/educated people entering Ireland, even should they speak the language, will still need years to bring their educational qualifications in line with European/Irish standards. They'll need government support while they're studying full-time, or an extended period of support, if it's done part-time. For them, and their family, should they have one. Then, there's the difficulty in getting work.. I'm sure you're aware of just how often people graduate to find that their major is no longer in demand... or never was... but expecting to easily find work thereafter.

Nope. Most of these migrants are a poor investment. I don't see the upside for the nation. Again, I've no issue with EU migration or those from outside the EU with skills/education that is in demand... but I see little practical point in allowing immigration of poorly skilled labor. For Ireland. For bigger industrial nations, like Germany, I can see reasons for wanting it... but nope. Not for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Irish live in other countries. Including me at the moment
    If you committed a crime in the country you are currently in, do you think it would be ok for them to deport you back to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If someone wants there to be one? That strikes me as odd. If Africans are coming into a western nation without the education/skills (or financial resources to get set up), then they'll likely end up at the bottom of society in terms of income. Their race is a factor when comparing them with other similar groups... it's not a matter of deciding to focus on race entirely, because that would be a matter of racism. Which I hope you're not suggesting about those here... (I don't think you are, but that opening sentence made me.. think along those lines)

I don’t think anyone is racist for focusing on race as a determinant factor in anyone’s ability to contribute to society or their ability to thrive economically or socially. I just think it’s not a factor as there is no correlation between the colour of a person’s skin and their intellect or abilities. I’m the same when it comes to people with disabilities - their disability isn’t a factor in their ability to contribute positively to society or to thrive in society. A person’s race or disability or socioeconomic background doesn’t make any difference if they don’t already have the ability or education or skills or indeed the financial resources to provide for themselves or their families - they’ll either end up at the bottom, or they’ll never get off the bottom without some form of support.

Well, first off, I mentioned corporal punishment in regards to anti-social behavior... not in regards to any other aspect of society. Context is important. Which I believe you know, and yet, you decided to put that in. Seems strange to me.

Secondly, I don't see how you're disagreeing with me about social mobility and the difficulties those migrants face, when they enter a nation at that level.

I genuinely thought you were mentioning it in the context of education because immediately I thought of corporal punishment in terms of its use in Irish and Chinese education - I would suggest that arguably it produces a more disciplined student, and that’s where I thought you were going with that one - something which I would have agreed with, and also our abandonment of “the 3 Rs” in favour of a more liberal education system was something of a step backwards IMO.

Hold up. Their educational qualifications, (if they exist at all) do matter in terms of quality. I've taught at various levels of education abroad, and there are gaping holes in many educational systems. We might criticise our own education for being lacking, but it's far better funded and fit for purpose than what you'll find in most third world countries. Getting a qualification in most African colleges is not comparable with an Irish one, except, in some cases where that African college has received the funding and recognition for being honest, and effective in teaching.

As an example, say from teaching at University level in Mainland China, it is extremely common for exam grades to be 'marked up' due to being an ethnic minority. Each semester I receive a list of student numbers who are minorities, and are told to give them special attention. Just as it's still quite common for Professors to be bribed into passing or giving better marks to students (in spite of the lackluster/selective anti-corruption initiatives by the CCP).

Education is not equal across the world. Not simply the implementation and transferal of knowledge, but there is so much corruption in many countries, which is why there is so much emphasis within EU Educational qualifications for commonly acceptable standards.

Skilled/educated (to a reasonably high standard) can prove their worth.. and ability easily enough to be comparable or better than Irish people. Sure. But the majority of migrants we've received who are on the bottom of the economic poll didn't enter because they were extremely skilled/educated people.

Yes, that’s the point I was making regarding your suggesting that the resources aren’t there to bring every immigrant up to the average Irish standard. The point I was making is that most migrants are already at the average Irish standard.

Another "hold on" moment. It's okay to take them as a whole for other causes, but not for consideration that they're seeking handouts or... Seems odd.

That seems to be the main point of opposition though? That they’re coming here to take advantage of our generous welfare system.

In any case, I don't believe that most are coming here with the aim of getting on welfare. Oh, I do believe that they're aware of the benefits of living in a welfare state, and want the improvements in health, education, etc when compared to their own country.. but I don't see anything wrong with that.

The problem is that there aren't the jobs for them. I've said this multiple times already. We don't have a manufacturing base, or large enough service economy (which is where low skilled people typically end up working in), to cover the needs of so many low-skilled migrants. Those industries aren't growing, and we already have a native population of low skilled people wanting those positions.

In addition, those positions are typically temporary, unreliable, and provide a rather low income for people who have no resources from a family network (here) to help them get by. As such, government supplements are required... which still won't provide them with enough to be comparable to the average Middle Class Irish family, which they want to experience.

What we have, is an economy dependent upon a handful of foreign multinationals that if they were to up sticks and relocate to another country in the morning would devastate our already fragile economy. What immigration brings with it is also innovation, and if they are provided with support - employment, enabling them to contribute to our economy and to society, lessening our economic dependency upon foreign multinationals remaining here in perpetuity. We made that mistake how many times now before?

I honestly don't have much of an opinion on that. Every nation has a portion of the population who fail or never really attempt to succeed. I see little reason to increase the population of such people in Ireland.. Yes, I do actually believe that most migrants who come to Ireland want to succeed... but I don't believe Ireland will ever have the resources available to help them to succeed.. and each failure means more people staying on welfare or other government supplements (both while attempting to succeed, and if/when they fail to achieve parity with others).

You see, I look at the investment angle of all this. Low skilled/educated people entering Ireland, even should they speak the language, will still need years to bring their educational qualifications in line with European/Irish standards. They'll need government support while they're studying full-time, or an extended period of support, if it's done part-time. For them, and their family, should they have one. Then, there's the difficulty in getting work.. I'm sure you're aware of just how often people graduate to find that their major is no longer in demand... or never was... but expecting to easily find work thereafter.

Nope. Most of these migrants are a poor investment. I don't see the upside for the nation. Again, I've no issue with EU migration or those from outside the EU with skills/education that is in demand... but I see little practical point in allowing immigration of poorly skilled labor. For Ireland. For bigger industrial nations, like Germany, I can see reasons for wanting it... but nope. Not for Ireland.

I’m looking at the investment angle on this too, which is why I think we absolutely do have the resources to help people succeed, no matter where they’re from or their socioeconomic background or any of the rest of it. We don’t have to put ourselves in a position where we fritter resources away on people who don’t want to succeed and projects which have no chance of offering a return on our investment (hence why I listed the projects which were undertaken already and vast amounts of resources and capital invested in them before they were ultimately abandoned, and I’d include the National Broadband Plan in that too, and now I think of it Ennis as the Information Age Town :rolleyes: ).

Point being, we’ve already frittered away billions, billions on ridiculous investments that never had any hope of a return on investment. It’s not that we don’t already have the money or the resources or the ability to invest in people who will contribute to the future of our indigenous economic growth that isn’t based upon fantasy economics and hoping for the best that the handful of multinationals which are currently propping up our failure of an economy will remain here out of some sense of misguided loyalty. It’s that people lack the motivation to change what is familiar to them, or what works... until their hand is forced and then they feel resentful about a change they thought they had no control over.

I don’t think anyone is racist for focusing on race as a determinant factor in anyone’s ability to contribute to society or their ability to thrive economically or socially. I just think it’s not a factor as there is no correlation between the colour of a person’s skin and their intellect or abilities.

I wouldn't disagree with that, although color is used as a quantifier in discussions, the same way nationality, gender, etc are.
    I’m the same when it comes to people with disabilities - their disability isn’t a factor in their ability to contribute positively to society or to thrive in society.

Ahh no. It depends entirely on the disability. My shaking disorder prevents me from all manner of jobs that require fine control. I couldn't wait tables, nor can I fly an airplane, because my shaking disorder prevents doing so safely. I can thrive in society well enough because I've chosen roles that aren't dependent on my having a steady hand, or won't be affected if my arms suddenly spasm. Disabilities do matter though. Ask anyone who has one, and whether their choices in determining their future has been affected. Not by other peoples judgment of them (although that's certainly part of it) but by the disability itself.
    A person’s race or disability or socioeconomic background doesn’t make any difference if they don’t already have the ability or education or skills or indeed the financial resources to provide for themselves or their families - they’ll either end up at the bottom, or they’ll never get off the bottom without some form of support.

True enough.. although their race, disability, or socioeconomic background can easily be one of the reasons why they "don't already have the ability or education or skills or indeed the financial resources to provide for themselves or their families".
    I genuinely thought you were mentioning it in the context of education because immediately I thought of corporal punishment in terms of its use in Irish and Chinese education - I would suggest that arguably it produces a more disciplined student, and that’s where I thought you were going with that one - something which I would have agreed with, and also our abandonment of “the 3 Rs” in favour of a more liberal education system was something of a step backwards IMO.

Nope. I referred to corporal punishment as one of the social constraints that have been removed which previously was a factor in restraining anti-social behavior. Just as I placed the protection of teens in the same sentence. By removing the traditional methods to restrict social disorder, without replacing them with anything more effective, it simply contributed to the increase of that disorder.. And so people blame parents for the lack of discipline or the aggressive behavior of teens. Simply expecting parents to be better parents without teaching them to be better parents always seemed the height of foolishness to me.
    Yes, that’s the point I was making regarding your suggesting that the resources aren’t there to bring every immigrant up to the average Irish standard. The point I was making is that most migrants are already at the average Irish standard.

Except they're not. Which is why across Europe, schools/universities are struggling to provide for migrants because they have greater needs beyond that of natives. Oh, you'll find plenty of articles saying that schools/universities are failing migrants, but if you compare articles, you'll often find that migrants are being treated the same as natives (in poor/disadvantaged areas), but deserve more. More of everything.. which teachers don't have the time/resources to provide.

And it doesn't bear out in terms of adult migrant refugees, who tend to end up and stay in low income positions. If they had education to the Irish standard, then they would be able to climb the career ladders, the same as Irish people. A hefty percentage of migrants don't.
    That seems to be the main point of opposition though? That they’re coming here to take advantage of our generous welfare system.

Nope. Not for me anyway. That they're coming here and ending up on the welfare system. I'd have, little to no objection, to any migrant to come to Ireland and be completely independent from government support. I'd worry about the social and cultural aspects in terms of multiculturalism.... but I'd have no issues from a direct practical perspective. Not a drain on the State? Great. I'll welcome them with open arms at the integration courses.
    What we have, is an economy dependent upon a handful of foreign multinationals that if they were to up sticks and relocate to another country in the morning would devastate our already fragile economy. What immigration brings with it is also innovation, and if they are provided with support - employment, enabling them to contribute to our economy and to society, lessening our economic dependency upon foreign multinationals remaining here in perpetuity. We made that mistake how many times now before?

If wishes were fishes, poor people wouldn't starve. There aren't the jobs for them. Ireland's economy is mostly based on a reasonably high skill level, whether that be IT, Pharma or specialised manufacturing. Employment provided to them, takes employment away from our own low-skilled workforce. As I said, such jobs tend to be temporary, unreliable and low paid... which means people shift around on job offers. And support? For how long? For how many of them? To what extent? (I'm not even going to bother with the innovation remark. There's the obvious counter)

But as you said, we're very dependent on foreign multinationals (and a few of our own)... what happens when (not if) a few of them leave? Irish people become jobless, all the while we've been encouraging more immigrants to come in. What happens to both the Irish and the immigrants then, with a failing economy, and rising unemployment?
    I’m looking at the investment angle on this too, which is why I think we absolutely do have the resources to help people succeed, no matter where they’re from or their socioeconomic background or any of the rest of it. We don’t have to put ourselves in a position where we fritter resources away on people who don’t want to succeed and projects which have no chance of offering a return on our investment (hence why I listed the projects which were undertaken already and vast amounts of resources and capital invested in them before they were ultimately abandoned, and I’d include the National Broadband Plan in that too, and now I think of it Ennis as the Information Age Town :rolleyes: ).

Point being, we’ve already frittered away billions, billions on ridiculous investments that never had any hope of a return on investment. It’s not that we don’t already have the money or the resources or the ability to invest in people who will contribute to the future of our indigenous economic growth that isn’t based upon fantasy economics and hoping for the best that the handful of multinationals which are currently propping up our failure of an economy will remain here out of some sense of misguided loyalty. It’s that people lack the motivation to change what is familiar to them, or what works... until their hand is forced and then they feel resentful about a change they thought they had no control over.

We already have a wide range of systems under strain. Education needs reform along with a major infusion of investment. That's just for our current population... never mind about adding another, what, 50k/100k migrants to the mix.

You speak of the wasted investments.. sure.. I get that.. I really do.. but I see the migrant issue as being another colossal waste of money too. I see very few benefits considering our native population (or EU connections) can provide everything Ireland needs to succeed. The immigration of low skilled/low educated migrants leads to extremely dubious benefits, and a whole host of long-term negatives, which we're starting to see manifest in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

oh boy... Wibbs... :D Let's go then :D
    Multiculturalism on the back of colonisation, invasion and empire building has been a part of human society since forever and in damned near every case the natives did badly out of it and in the majority of cases caused division and racism as you note(though for the majority of European history racism was far less in play as the overwhelming majority of Europeans were White, with some Arab in Spain and Greece). Surely not something we should emulate?

This is actually completely untrue, simply because BEFORE the great expansions of the so called age of discoveries, military conquests where done through being sure the locals where cared for, a peaceful conquered population is more profitable than a hostile rebelious one.

Sumerians did this, Hitites did this, Egyptians did this, Persians did this, Alexander the Great did this all along his expansion through Asia and the Romans did this. The reason these civilizations, some of them lasted thousands of years was precisely by learning to provide and to not ostracize who they conquered. Even the muslims did this in southern Europe. ´

There's examples of rebellions of course there is but when you think of something like the Roman Empire and you study it's expansion in places like the Iberian Peninsula you will see it was not empire building it was a slow expansion to establish trade routes. Trade and money was important and keeping the people happy meant trade would flow easily. Many Roman Emperors for example gave citizenship to so called barbarians precisely to ensure those tribes would be assimilated in the roman way of life and not wage unnecessary instability. If you look at how long the Roman Empire lasted and how few the rebellions where you will notice this to be true. They actually had more civil wars than actually so called natives rebelling... and that is a testament not to thought of superiority but to their understanding of including conquered peoples in the Empire... and no this was not consensual back then as history showed, one of the main reasons Caesar was stabbed in the senate was his willingness to have new senators from gaulish blood in Rome. Which angered the traditional native Roman families. But guess what? Augustus ended up doing the same and it became the norm. The end of the Roman Republic was effectively the end of the traditional roman families in Rome, but today we mostly remember the Roman Empire not the Roman Republic...

If you want a popcorn way to learn about this I suggest you have a watch at HBO's Rome. Or better... get the blu-ray, as you can watch each episode with historical notes. ;)
    Actually the Basque link is now seen as old hat and incorrect, though oft repeated. It was based on a rough sketch of the haplogroup R1b which is commonly found at the edges of western Europe. When they look at the subclades Basques have quite a different type to the Irish. Basques are mostly Spanish/French with some isolated gene differences because of their isolation(and they're different to Basques who lived 4000 years ago).

As for knowing our history: The native Irish are almost entirely, well natives, farmers who came in during the Bronze and Iron ages overwhelming the earlier hunter gatherer peoples. We're not "celts". Even the idea of celts owes more to 19th century nationalist thinking than any historical reality. The Romans and the Greeks who knew of them at the time could barely make up their mind what or who or where the Keltoi were. Later mixes came from Vikings and English, both on the back of conquest. As for how much of an impact that mix was?

Professor Gianpiero Cavalleri, who helped to devise the study, told TheJournal.ie: “In terms of the genetic diversity for Irish people, there’s actually very little. And the diversity we do see is very subtle.”

That is all nice and well put until you actually read the original study you so valiantly posted images off which... shows numerous genomes which proves the melting pot I mentioned :D

But let's look at the study... which is here:

The Irish DNA Atlas: Revealing Fine-Scale Population Structure and History within Ireland

And here's wha'ts in it:

"In conclusion we have identified fine-scale genetic structure in Ireland that is geographically stratified and surprisingly faithful to the historical boundaries of Irish Provinces and kingdoms. We have detected two sources of admixture into Ireland. One is associated with a significant level of Norwegian ancestry, which we date to the time of Norse-Viking activity. The second is associated with Scottish and English ancestry and dates to the times of the Ulster Plantations. Our work informs on Irish history, and by outlining fine-scale structure across the island, we hope can aid the study of genetic diseases within Ireland, and others populations with Irish ancestry."

What the study proves is that there is a genetic origin in certain areas of Ireland connected with local history not that it's an immaculate Irish gene, because it has been like it says a big part of Norwegian and Northern French genes...

Furthermore...

"Population Structure within Ireland
    We assembled a combined dataset of individuals with Irish and British ancestry, to detect population structure within Ireland, within the context of neighboring Britain. "

In short, if you're looking for water in a lake... you'll find water no? :D

Genes are not a clear A or B, if you had bothered to even open the study you so happily showed you'd see this graphic in it:

41598_2017_17124_Fig3_HTML.jpg

Which literally discredits what you where saying... you can clearly see the amount of diversity in the gene in which there is a majority of one specific origin... this is pure genetics, there is no one on this planet that is 100% pure one gene...

oh and do you notice that percentage of "spanish" in it? That's precisely the proof of the Basque ancestry that you're trying to deny...
    A) the western empire had already crumbled and B) the hermit traffic was very much going the other direction, with Irish missionaries to Britain and then Europe, getting as far as Italy, Spain, Kiev and the like. The "Land of Saints and Scholars" was imported culturally, but not by mass migrations of people and was very much an export market on that score. I can give you a long list of Irish missionaries into Europe, the list of Europeans that came here is tiny by comparison(and most would be Welsh, non Saxon English and Scots).

Huh... no... nope and no :) The first Christians arrived in Ireland in the 5th century and the "official" date for the fall of the empire is after 476...

Also the establishment of Irish Christianism occurs from the 5th century on and Eastern expansion from the 6th century on...

Lastly the Christianization of Kievan Rus only occurs in the 9th century...

Sources:

Christianity in Ireland

Fall of the Western Roman Empire

History of Christianity - Western Missionary Expansion

Christianity in the 6th century - Irish Missionaries

Christianity in the 7th century

Christianization of Kievan Rus'

If you want aditional literary sources I recomend:

The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization

and specially:

The Evolution of the Late Antique World

Lastly, to have an easy popcorn type of knowledge, you can always watch the TV Show Vikings, they're actually right in the final season in Kievan Rus territory and dealing with early christianization of the territory...
    Actually there isn't and outside of the plantations(hardly a recipe for peace and harmony) what movements did occur were absolutely tiny in number. French Huguenots were one of the largest and that was under 5000 people. There are Jews here from the late Medieval, but again in tiny numbers(they seemed to have fitted right in with the locals, with a Jewish major being elected to the office of Mayor in Cork in the 1600's IIRC. Something that would have been vanishingly rare in the rest of Europe).

This is again incorrect :)

Because of the perfect position of Ireland in the western northern atlantic, the trade routes from north america including Spanish, Portugese, Dutch British and French ships all passed through Galway and along all the ports in Ireland. The trade routes where so profitable that made Ireland a very good place for piracy to prey on these trading ships. Exactly like in Southern Portugal and Span the trade routes out of the mediterranean where easy prey for pirates. Both Western south-western coast of Portugal and Ireland are filled with watch towers, guard towers to spot the pirates...

There's a very good book recently released by a UCC scholar on this subject matter

The Alliance of Pirates: Ireland and Atlantic piracy in the early seventeenth century
    "Whatever about an "immaculate culture of Christians" Ireland is one of most "native" nations in Europe and when it hasn't been in the case of English interference it didn't do the locals any good, nor many of the migrants and the Scots demographic are very close to us genetically, the same "race".

Huh... again.. no it's not like the study you linked above shows. Also the only person talking about race here is you. The idea of a pure race, a pure gene, is itself a belief in racial superiority that Hitler himself praised extensively.

Aditionally your pure Irish gene has absolute zero to do with culture, genes don't determine cultures. Cultures are built on traditional behaviours constructed on top of each other for thousands of years and even in this there aren't pure cultures or intact cultures. Even the secluded Tibetans had contacts with other cultures and the idea that multiculturalism is a new things is non-sensical at best.

Cultures always mingled between themselves, you have a perfect example of this in the US and how many cultures from around the world ended up existing in that one country... though to the much detriment of native Americans of course...

Or if you want another literary source that shows the horrors of colonialism but also how in the end it was the mixing of cultures that established the Portuguese rule in India:

Conquerors: How Portugal Forged the First Global Empire

So again, this fearful idea that the non-natives are out to eat your culture for breakfast is non-sensical, basic and pretty much racist... :)

The basic reality is because they're not blue eyed and fair skinned some people feel threatened by them or superior to them. This IS racist and xenophobic.

Also, talks about an Irish culture when half the culture in this country is actually British? It's the most pandering to your oppressors' that I could think of... the guys gave you the potato, cut down your forests, prosecuted your religion, starved you to death, killed your rebels, burned down Cork and still...

still you have your tea to drink with your milk and love your fish and chips (both staples of British culture btw) and still...

and still you are afraid brown and black people are out to get your "culture"... xD

But back on topic let's make a case for Irish Culture.

So here's a tiny challenge for you:

Name me:

5 Irish Dishes that you can say are 100% Irish

5 Irish Deserts that you can say are 100% Irish

5 Irish Drinks that you can say are 100% Irish

and lastly

5 Irish Culture Traits you can 100% say they are Irish and not taken or influenced from somewhere or some other culture.

EDIT: What I mean to write was that BEFORE the great expansions of the so called age of discoveries, military conquests where also done through being sure the locals where cared for, a peaceful conquered population is more profitable than a hostile rebellious one.

Just want to be 100% clear I am not for colonialism and fully understand how much crap it was brough around the world. I will correct this now on my original post with an edit note.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I don't you worry I have enough of a grasp of history to see through your nonsense.

I'm sorry, but you clearly have zero grasp of history and I can tell you that as I have a degree in History and Archaeology by the University of Lisbon. On top of that all you do is just spit out ad hominem and add nothing to the conversation.

If you want I can send you my diploma and my research papers, I'd glad you help you understand a bit of history :)

Otherwise be my guest, I'll wait for you to learn something from my words :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well I'd not go so far as to say nonsense, more like oft repeated and believed historical half truths. Celts being a classic example. The Irish aren't nor were ever celts. Certainly not as a population. Even culturally an expert in the field can look at a "celtic" object found in a dig and be able to narrow down where in Europe it originally came from. Saying the Irish are/were celts is akin to saying the Irish are Italians just because they were Christian. The Basque/Irish connection another example. It was jumped upon a few years ago on the back of rough interpretations of genetic clades and repeated until it became a bar stool truth. Latterly the idea that Ireland was a genetic melting pot of peoples long before the Celtic Tiger* has gained some favour, but again the evidence shows this to be at best a half truth at most utterly wrong. A small bunch of islands like Orkney with a tiny population has more genetic diversity and evidence of migration than the whole country of Ireland.

*we're not Celts and we never had Tigers outside of zoos, which should have given us some food for thought about that daftness. :D

Another information factually wrong. The so called Celtic Revolution pretty much reached Ireland too, obviously it wasn't just Ireland or they had origins in Ireland, it was just another culture that reached Ireland too in that melting pot you want to deny, yet post articles precisely about it...

We studied in great detail in Portugal this culture as we had also an influence in our archaeological data as the information below shows:

Celts

So no... calling the Irish Celts is not like calling them Italians, is like calling them Europeans because it was a culture that expanded all around Europe, just like the Indo-Europeans did before and the Neolithic Revolution/Megalithism Culture folks did before too...

I'll wait for you to answer point by point to my previous post because I love to deconstruct pseudo-historians like yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Vieira82 wrote: »
    Name me:

and lastly

5 Irish Culture Traits you can 100% say they are Irish and not taken or influenced from somewhere or some other culture.

You have him now, he’ll never be able to name five Irish deserts.

I’m reminded that if you wish to delete a people, you first delete their history and culture.

Do you mind if I fight back a little bit?

You’re wrong about many things.

The Irish nation have always been overwhelmingly the numerically (if not politically) dominant grouping on this island for over a thousand years. Many other groupings have arrived and made their presence felt but were in almost all cases eventually absorbed by the natives becoming “more Irish than the Irish themselves”.

The one obvious exception to this were the Ulster planters, who
    arrived in too great a number to be assimilated. Their presence on the island of Ireland has led to centuries of bloodshed which are in themselves an argument against multiculturism.

Of course, in common with the rest of the world, we have been heavily influenced by Anglo-American culture, through the dubious marvels of technology. Yet, we remain a distinctive nation we our own, indigenous, unique language, culture, music, literature, sports and collective history.

Ireland has been an unusually homogenous country throughout its recorded history. This homogeneity was our strength after independence: we remained a peaceful, stable society as much of the rest of Europe slipped into the dark era of ethnic/religious violence that was the inter-war years and World War 2 itself.

A line of propaganda has arisen in the last few years which insists we have always been a multicultural society. This is a historical lie fabricated to buttress modern political and corporate agendas.

In just the last 20 years our homogeneity has been deliberately stripped from us to serve a largely corporate agenda. With it will fall our peaceful and stable society. We have seen clearest rumblings of this in Dublin over the last few days.

I’m immensely proud to be Irish. I’m proud of our achievements as a nation, of the successful society we have built on this island, of my Irish ancestry and of the gentle and human way Irish people tend to conduct themselves.

I’m not sure what your agenda is or why you’d take to an Irish forum to post so contemptuously about the Irish nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

DeadHand wrote: »

I’m reminded that if you wish to delete a people, you first delete their history and culture.

I've seen this a number of times on this thread where posters try to deny the Irish culture by asking us to define our culture. It is obviously a common defense by social media "activists" of their open border utopian goal. Another common tactic of deflection is when they try to rewrite our Irish history. There was one poster who kept telling us that Nigerians were coming to Ireland since the 1800's.

So their argument is that since Ireland has no 'real' culture, we should be grateful of multiculturalism, which adds culture to our lives. It is really a bizarre and illogical argument.

Ireland has a great culture that people come from far and wide to take part of.
    In fact our culture is so popular that our pubs can be found worldwide, and our national day is celebrated by other nationalities in other countries.
    No other country shares this.

Irish drink is enjoyed everywhere. Ten years ago, Nigeria overtook Ireland as the second biggest Guinness market in the world, coming behind the United Kingdom.
    Neighbours Cameroon comes a place after Nigeria as the fourth-biggest market for Guinness.

I suspect every country has it's own SJW that tries to disparage their own culture.
    From Norway to Angola there are people that say "find me 5 things that are uniquely Angolan, I bet you can't cause nothing is Angolan".

• Advertisement

DeadHand wrote: »

Do you mind if I fight back a little bit?

You’re wrong about many things.

The Irish nation have always been overwhelmingly the numerically (if not politically) dominant grouping on this island for over a thousand years. Many other groupings have arrived and made their presence felt but were in almost all cases eventually absorbed by the natives becoming “more Irish than the Irish themselves”.

The one obvious exception to this were the Ulster planters, who
    arrived in too great a number to be assimilated. Their presence on the island of Ireland has led to centuries of bloodshed which are in themselves an argument against multiculturism.

Of course, in common with the rest of the world, we have been heavily influenced by Anglo-American culture, through the dubious marvels of technology. Yet, we remain a distinctive nation we our own, indigenous, unique language, culture, music, literature, sports and collective history.

Ireland has been an unusually homogenous country throughout its recorded history. This homogeneity was our strength after independence: we remained a peaceful, stable society as much of the rest of Europe slipped the dark era of ethnic/religious violence that was the inter-war years and World War 2 itself.

A line of propaganda has arisen in the last few years which insists we have always been a multicultural society. This is a historical lie fabricated to buttress modern political and corporate agendas.

In just the last 20 years our homogeneity has been deliberately stripped from us to serve a largely corporate agenda. With it will fall our peaceful and stable society. We have seen clearest rumblings of this in Dublin over the last few days.

I’m immensely proud to be Irish. I’m proud of our achievements as a nation, of the successful society we have built on this island, of my Irish ancestry and of the gentle and human way Irish people tend to conduct themselves.

I’m not sure what your agenda is or why you’d take to an Irish forum to post so contemptuously about the Irish nation.

You see... this is exactly what I am saying and I could not agree more... there has always people coming in and they get assimilated into the irish gene pool just like the article above explains. So I could not agree more with you on this...

And no.. no one wants to erase Irish culture, but make you see that no culture simply pops up out of nowhere, but a constant stream of cultures, traditions mingling into each other that then gives you Irish Culture... Cultures change, as new information comes into that people and that culture. Obviously for us probably the biggest change we had was with the globalization of economy and so many different products cultures and people pouring into Europe with the maritime expansion of European nations.

It's very simple to understand how the simple fact that potato was massively introduced in Ireland had huge cultural changes, specially and obviously in Irish cuisine now seen as traditional...

This is all I am saying and has nothing to do with erasing a culture, but making some realize that there isn't a primeval Irish Culture disappearing before your eyes. Because this happened already when this Island was colonized by the British and as you know that was forcefully done and a lot of people died and suffered with it.. so I totally agree with your quote...

If you look around the world there are very very few cultures that have remained unchanged for thousands of years, probably some Pacific Islanders but even there obesity is rampant as they import food from other countries meaning, yet again a cultural and societal change... In a globalized world like the one we live in it's impossible to have immutable cultures, multiculturalism will happen unless you completely close all boarders and become North Korea? That's the only scenario I can see a country remaining with it's same culture and even there they have a huge influence from China...

Or are you going to tell me that 50 years ago Chinese and Indian restaurants where normal in Ireland? And have always been?

This change in the food consumed by the population has cultural influence, has influence in societal norms. How many times instead of a Sunday Roast Dinner, instead, you go and get take away?

And for me, there's nothing wrong with that, it's normal for these changes to happen.

My problem is seeing some say that people, just because they're brown or black as destroyers of an immaculate Irish culture that in reality it does not exist because no culture is immaculate and untouched.. believing in this is believing in cultural superiority, or in gene superiority like some have mentioned here and believing you are in danger just because that other guy is black or brown of staining your genes and culture...

Lastly.. thanks for keeping it civil and actually explaining your point of view allowing me to clear any misunderstanding on what I wrote.

In a conversation it's very important to listen as it is to expose your arguments and only in this way can it be a constructive debate where we can all learn... I for one had never heard of the Plantations for example. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

oh boy... Wibbs... :D Let's go then :D

This is actually completely untrue, simply because the great expansions of the so called age of discoveries military conquests where also done through being sure the locals where cared for, a peaceful conquered population is more profitable than a hostile rebelious one.

Sumerians did this, Hitites did this, Egyptians did this, Persians did this, Alexander the Great did this all along his expansion through Asia and the Romans did this. The reason these civilizations, some of them lasted thousands of years was precisely by learning to provide and to not ostracize who they conquered. Even the muslims did this in southern Europe. ´

There's examples of rebellions of course there is but when you think of something like the Roman Empire and you study it's expansion in places like the Iberian Peninsula you will see it was not empire building it was a slow expansion to establish trade routes. Trade and money was important and keeping the people happy meant trade would flow easily. Many Roman Emperors for example gave citizenship to so called barbarians precisely to ensure those tribes would be assimilated in the roman way of life and not wage unnecessary instability. If you look at how long the Roman Empire lasted and how few the rebellions where you will notice this to be true. They actually had more civil wars than actually so called natives rebelling... and that is a testament not to thought of superiority but to their understanding of including conquered peoples in the Empire... and no this was not consensual back then as history showed, one of the main reasons Caesar was stabbed in the senate was his willingness to have new senators from gaulish blood in Rome. Which angered the traditional native Roman families. But guess what? Augustus ended up doing the same and it became the norm. The end of the Roman Republic was effectively the end of the traditional roman families in Rome, but today we mostly remember the Roman Empire not the Roman Republic...

If you want a popcorn way to learn about this I suggest you have a watch at HBO's Rome. Or better... get the blu-ray, as you can watch each episode with historical notes. ;)

That is all nice and well put until you actually read the original study you so valiantly posted images off which... shows numerous genomes which proves the melting pot I mentioned :D

But let's look at the study... which is here:

The Irish DNA Atlas: Revealing Fine-Scale Population Structure and History within Ireland

And here's wha'ts in it:

"In conclusion we have identified fine-scale genetic structure in Ireland that is geographically stratified and surprisingly faithful to the historical boundaries of Irish Provinces and kingdoms. We have detected two sources of admixture into Ireland. One is associated with a significant level of Norwegian ancestry, which we date to the time of Norse-Viking activity. The second is associated with Scottish and English ancestry and dates to the times of the Ulster Plantations. Our work informs on Irish history, and by outlining fine-scale structure across the island, we hope can aid the study of genetic diseases within Ireland, and others populations with Irish ancestry."

What the study proves is that there is a genetic origin in certain areas of Ireland connected with local history not that it's an immaculate Irish gene, because it has been like it says a big part of Norwegian and Northern French genes...

Furthermore...

"Population Structure within Ireland
    We assembled a combined dataset of individuals with Irish and British ancestry, to detect population structure within Ireland, within the context of neighboring Britain. "

In short, if you're looking for water in a lake... you'll find water no? :D

Genes are not a clear A or B, if you had bothered to even open the study you so happily showed you'd see this graphic in it:

41598_2017_17124_Fig3_HTML.jpg

Which literally discredits what you where saying... you can clearly see the amount of diversity in the gene in which there is a majority of one specific origin... this is pure genetics, there is no one on this planet that is 100% pure one gene...

oh and do you notice that percentage of "spanish" in it? That's precisely the proof of the Basque ancestry that you're trying to deny...

Huh... no... nope and no :) The first Christians arrived in Ireland in the 5th century and the "official" date for the fall of the empire is after 476...

Also the establishment of Irish Christianism occurs from the 5th century on and Eastern expansion from the 6th century on...

Lastly the Christianization of Kievan Rus only occurs in the 9th century...

Sources:

Christianity in Ireland

Fall of the Western Roman Empire

History of Christianity - Western Missionary Expansion

Christianity in the 6th century - Irish Missionaries

Christianity in the 7th century

Christianization of Kievan Rus'

If you want aditional literary sources I recomend:

The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization

and specially:

The Evolution of the Late Antique World

Lastly, to have an easy popcorn type of knowledge, you can always watch the TV Show Vikings, they're actually right in the final season in Kievan Rus territory and dealing with early christianization of the territory...

This is again incorrect :)

Because of the perfect position of Ireland in the western northern atlantic, the trade routes from north america including Spanish, Portugese, Dutch British and French ships all passed through Galway and along all the ports in Ireland. The trade routes where so profitable that made Ireland a very good place for piracy to prey on these trading ships. Exactly like in Southern Portugal and Span the trade routes out of the mediterranean where easy prey for pirates.Both Western south-western coast of Portugal and Ireland are filled with watch towers, guard towers to spot the pirates...

Are you talking about martello towers here?

For 100s of years Ireland have been in cultural exchange with others. This isn't a problem as it's a slow process and gives people time to adjust.
    The problem is when you over the span of a single generation invite thousands of people that have a different culture and the two cultures clash.
    Everywhere Islam goes Christianity have suffered greatly. It has happened always and is happening right now.

Inviting people that hold antichristian views, hate gays and think women are worth less than a man isn't a good thing. It's bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not bad, it's just different...

biko wrote: »
    Ireland has a great culture that people come from far a wide to take part of.
    In fact our culture is so popular that our pubs can be found worldwide, and our national day is celebrated by other nationalities in other countries.
    No other country shares this.

Irish drink is enjoyed everywhere. Ten years ago, Nigeria overtook Ireland as the second biggest Guinness market in the world, coming behind the United Kingdom.
    Neighbours Cameroon comes a place after Nigeria as the fourth-biggest market for Guinness.

I suspect every country has it's own SJW that tries to disparage their own culture.
    From Norway to Angola there are people that say "find me 5 things that are uniquely Angolan, I bet you can't cause nothing is Angolan".

That is an excellent argument and a perfect example of cultural changes through time. Nigerians that came into Ireland brought the beer to Nigeria probably... and there's nothing wrong with this at all, it's normal, it always hapenned and will always happen through trade...

And while Guinness is an Irish Invention, the first recorded brewers of Beer where Ancient Egyptians... so keep in mind how something created in Egypt ends up in Ireland which just shows how cultures can influence each other far and wide as early pre-classic times.

And on the topic of Nigeria this news article:

These Nigerian kids are creating epic sci-fi short films using their phones, and Hollywood is paying attention

Again... if there wasn't for a globalized culture these kids where not in anyway making these movies...

There's a really good book which compares the Roman culture influence in the non-Romanized world and the so predominant globalization we're passing through:

Globalizing Roman Culture
    Unity, Diversity and Empire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is actually completely untrue, simply because the great expansions of the so called age of discoveries military conquests where also done through being sure the locals where cared for, a peaceful conquered population is more profitable than a hostile rebelious one.
    Yeah I'm sure native Americans who fell to Spanish, Portuguese and English swords and whips thought themselves well cared for. I can't believe you wrote a defence of colonialism with a straight face, but anyway...
    Sumerians did this, Hitites did this, Egyptians did this, Persians did this, Alexander the Great did this all along his expansion through Asia and the Romans did this. The reason these civilizations, some of them lasted thousands of years was precisely by learning to provide and to not ostracize who they conquered. Even the muslims did this in southern Europe.
    For someone with qualifications in history you sure draw a wide revisionist arc with a crayon. With the general exception of the Persians who were more easy going as far as local cultures and religions were concerned the rest built empires by going in, kicking the locals teeth in, paying off a local leader to run the vassal state and insist the locals pray to the new gods and adopt the conqueror's customs. Rome most certainly did that. Become Roman, become that culture, language and mostly religion or else. Places like Israel who didn't do that quite enough found out pretty quickly what happened when you weren't "Roman" enough. Those empires did what empires tend to do, come in and replace local cultures and often people with a new one.
    You claimed a "big percentage of genetics from the Basque Country in Ireland". This is quite simply wrong and based on out of date data and misconceptions.
    I stated that Ireland is one of the least genetically diverse countries in Europe and the facts back that up.
    Oh god... You really don't get how this works. OK, the now extinct bears of Ireland were more related to Iberian bears and particularly those found in northern Iberia and were less related to bears found in Britain. This does not mean Irish bears came from Spain on boats. It does mean that a earlier population of bears spread throughout western Europe, but a later population came in bred out the old bear genes, but they didn't do so in Ireland because of her isolation and similarly not enough of the new bears made it across the Cantabrian mountains so relict populations continued on. The Irish are a population of western European seaboard peoples, a population that ranged further in the past, but has been mostly swamped in most of western Europe by the later genetics of different people coming in.
    The earliest classical references to Irish christians was when Paladius(later conflated with Patrick) was sent here to preach to "the Irish believing in Christ", which suggests there were pockets of christianity already here. No matter, you stated "Christianity brought hermits from all over Europe to Ireland, because of it's percieved remoteness of a land outside of the crumbling Roman Empire," This is a complete nonsense in the 5th century and it's a nonsense later on when the western empire fell and the insular church really got going. Unless you consider one Frenchman and one Englishman a mass of "hermits from all over Europe".
    Huh... again.. no it's not like the study you linked above shows.
    I'm afraid it doesn't. As I pointed out and the evidence clearly shows this, even the tiny population of the Orkney islands is more genetically diverse than the population of Ireland.
    Also the only person talking about race here is you. The idea of a pure race, a pure gene, is itself a belief in racial superiority that Hitler himself praised extensively.
    Good oul Godwin. You may have missed the bit where I parenthesised "race".
    Cultures always mingled between themselves, you have a perfect example of this in the US and how many cultures from around the world ended up existing in that one country... though to the much detriment of native Americans of course...
    The US is a colony. Colonies are very different in population movements and diversity. Though at least the natives got a look in this time...
    Or if you want another literary source that shows the horrors of colonialism but also how in the end it was the mixing of cultures that established the Portuguese rule in India:

Conquerors: How Portugal Forged the First Global Empire

So again, this fearful idea that the non-natives are out to eat your culture for breakfast is non-sensical, basic and pretty much racist... :)
    That you point to colonial imperial powers that subjugated and exploited local cultures and most certainly considered them inferior along racial lines as somehow a positive is pretty mad.
    But back on topic let's make a case for Irish Culture.

So here's a tiny challenge for you:

Name me:

and lastly

McDonald's first opened in 1970's Ireland. We didn't require 10,000 Americans coming to Ireland for that to happen.
    The potato became an Irish staple and we didn't require 10,000 Peruvians coming to Ireland for that to happen.
    We drink coffee and tea and we didn't require 10,000 Arabians or Indians coming to Ireland for that to happen.
    We speak English and and we didn't require... Oh wait... Yeah that went well.

Cultures do change all the time, they don't require mass migrations to do so and when mass migrations have happened in the past it has been on the back of conquest and colonisation and the local cultures didn't last too long.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That is an excellent argument and a perfect example of cultural changes through time. Nigerians that came into Ireland brought the beer to Nigeria probably... and there's nothing wrong with this at all, it's normal, it always hapenned and will always happen through trade...
    If you go to Nigeria and ask them about Guinness they speak of it as their own national drink.
    Guinness is so massively popular in Nigeria that the locals assume it must be an Nigerian beer.
    You might laugh at this but to be fair they do have some strong justification for these views.
    Guinness has a long history with Nigeria since the early 1960's.

Does Nigeria even have a culture? What do you think?

Speaking of Nigeria and meeting of cultures.

Islamists that kidnapped 11 Christians in northeast Nigeria on Christmas Day have executed five of them.

A video, dated Dec. 29, shows five armed members of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) lining up behind five men dressed in orange robes who are kneeling with their hands tied behind them.

Ordered in the Hausa language to state their names, each of the kneeling men in turn is heard saying their name and adding, “I’m a Christian.”

Speaking in the Hausa language common throughout northern Nigeria, one of the ISWAP militants then says, “This is a warning to Christians in all parts of the world and those in Nigeria. We have not forgotten what you did to our brethren in Zangon Kataf town and other parts of Nigeria. Use the heads of these five of your brethren to continue with your ungodly celebrations.”

The five Christians are then shot to death.

https://morningstarnews.org/2020/12/iswap-terrorists-execute-five-christians-in-nigeria-video-shows/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Another information factually wrong. The so called Celtic Revolution pretty much reached Ireland too, obviously it wasn't just Ireland or they had origins in Ireland, it was just another culture that reached Ireland too in that melting pot you want to deny, yet post articles precisely about it...
    You stated; Then the Celts appeared and mingled with most populations While that may have happened in mainland Europe there is zero evidence of "celtic" gene flow into Ireland. It seems to have come here as a culture much like Christianity came here, by cultural exchange rather than by population migration. Hence my comparison to Italians.

I'll wait for you to answer point by point to my previous post because I love to deconstruct pseudo-historians like yourself :)
    I never claimed to be a historian, you have. And yet your history is more problematic. [insert passive aggressive :) here]

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I've lived abroad for almost 14 years now, along with other stints abroad before that. I don't get this expectation that Ireland should be so different from other countries. I've spent time in both Africa and Asia where minor discrimination, and outright racism against white people is common. We know it exists. We expect it to happen. It's a known factor in deciding to live in a foreign country.

There will be locals who think you shouldn't be here. There will be people who think you're taking jobs that should be occupied by natives. There will be people who distrust you because you're culturally different. There will be people who consider you inferior because of your skin color, or some other nonsense.

That's part of living in a foreign country, especially one whose culture is so different. I love living in cultures which are so different than my own. There are so many positives.. but then, there are heaps of negatives too. I've been physically assaulted in both Asia, and Africa based on my skin color. Or assaulted because the association of white people is connected to wealth, even though, I wasn't wealthy at that time. It didn't matter. Because some people think this way... irrespective of the realities involved.

That is not to say that I consider the country or the entire people to be xenophobic. Even with China or Japan, which culturally tends to be historically xenophobic, both could be very welcoming depending on the circumstances.. and individually, people aren't that locked in step with the traditional cultural perspective on foreigners. Still, there is common day discrimination, and racism.. (far more than in Ireland)

You listed a range of assaults or expressions of racism. It happens. It will continue to happen. Some people are just unlucky, or they set themselves up for abuse, all the while knowing how to avoid being placed in that situation. There will always be some people who hate/distrust foreigners... that's pretty much a given, and anyone who thinks that will change is smoking some funny stuff.

It's also worth remembering that as "foreigners", we're judged by the behavior of past foreigners. In Oz, that meant the automatic association many had about Irish people being violent, and heavy drinkers. In China, it meant the range of foreigners who disrespected their cultural norms, and left behind pregnant Chinese women. That behavior leaves an impression, not just on those who are directly involved, but also on those who "hear" about it, which in turn, promotes the stereotypes. Which we are judged by... by association. For some people, that will be cause enough to hate that foreigner, irrespective of who they actually are.

Where are you originally from? I suspect you/we could easily find a range of assaults/problems in your country related to race. The point being that there is no "extra" hatred of foreigners beyond what already exists in other countries. No xenophobia that doesn't already exist in other relatively traditional (or going through the process of shedding it's traditional past) countries. Although, considering the frustrations many people I know have about immigrants in Ireland, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a rise in actual discrimination, and/or contempt towards certain migrant groups. As I said, the behavior of past migrants/foreigners will set the theme for judging the next batch.

So first of all you mention that you lived in Africa and Asia... that's all very nice but they're two gigantic continents. You can't in any possible way say that your experience in one country speaks for whole continents.

Everyone that travels knows that if you're white you don't go out alone at night in Mongolia or Nepal, you'll be beaten for being white. That doesn't happen in other countries though...

Same thing in Africa, you will be racial abused in Congo and even Angola but not in Namibia, Quenia or Egypt...

Also both continents are extremely diverse in terms of cultures, religions and traditions, you can't simply put whole continents in one bag as having behaviours you expect in Ireland and felt there..

So the question is which countries did you travel too as then we can analyse that in detail...

And yes I'm from Portugal, we had massive influx from people coming from the ex-colonies in the 70s and 80s, my hometown a small 40k inhabitants city has 7 social neighborhoods mainly filled with people that moved to Portugal from Africa. Growing up there where gang fights and most these neighborhoods you wouldn't go there at night, drug dealing gang fights was part of growing up. Heck the two school bullies where jet black with African names like Kalu and Melica.

Things have since improved a lot with mainly with the decriminalization of drugs in the 90s and social supports in these neighborhoods

As for the bullies, I know Kalu was shot in a gang fight years ago and last time I heard of Melica he was in prison for drug trafficking.

So comparing this with what I've seen in Ireland in the last 9 years I can tell you I have never even seen one single African associated with crime.

What I've seen many times is actually fair skinned blond individuals being criminals... but that doesn't mean that all Irish are criminals... just that this is the problem in Irish society not the African or Muslim...

And it does really annoy me that if it was me brandishing a knife at Gardai the other day I would not be shot at all, but because the guy was black it happened and people think it was justified...

It annoys me because I have seen blatant criminality and anti-social behavior and people complaining about it and the Garda does nothing at all... so suddenly a black guy being shot like he was when a shot in the leg or arm would have rendered him defenseless

Man with fake handgun arrested outside Cork crèche

Gardai probing coercive control charge man after massive search at Cork house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

We studied in great detail in Portugal this culture as we had also an influence in our archaeological data as the information below shows:

Celts

So no... calling the Irish Celts is not like calling them Italians, is like calling them Europeans because it was a culture that expanded all around Europe, just like the Indo-Europeans did before and the Neolithic Revolution/Megalithism Culture folks did before too...

You certainly have the moral superiority one can only gain from a humanities degree anyway. Though usually the most cock-sure are full of the most ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

And it does really annoy me that if it was me brandishing a knife at Gardai the other day I would not be shot at all, but because the guy was black it happened and people think it was justified...

It annoys me because I have seen blatant criminality and anti-social behavior and people complaining about it and the Garda does nothing at all... so suddenly a black guy being shot like he was when a shot in the leg or arm would have rendered him defenseless

Case in point.

Yeah I'm sure native Americans who fell to Spanish, Portuguese and English swords and whips thought themselves well cared for. I can't believe you wrote a defence of colonialism with a straight face, but anyway...

You're actually right, I mispoke that part. What I wrote was indeed "

What I mean to write was that BEFORE the great expansions of the so called age of discoveries, military conquests where also done through being sure the locals where cared for, a peaceful conquered population is more profitable than a hostile rebellious one.

Just want to be 100% clear I am not for colonialism and fully understand how much crap it was brough around the world. I will correct this now on my original post with an edit note.

Eh no. Guinness and coke and pepsi and the like were brought in by Europeans and later Americans on the back of colonisation to sell their products to the locals and were initially owned and operated by the Whites.
    And while Guinness is an Irish Invention, the first recorded brewers of Beer where Ancient Egyptians... so keep in mind how something created in Egypt ends up in Ireland which just shows how cultures can influence each other far and wide as early pre-classic times.
    The evidence for the earliest brewers of beer are found in present day Iran, Iraq and Israel and rice beer was going down in China 6000 years ago(though it may well have been brewed even further back in present day Turkey). So it's simplistic to claim it was "created in Egypt". Even the first writings on it are Sumerian.

OH MAN! I actually hoped you'd have the decency to at least try to admit something you're wrong... but obviously you don't... :D

All you did was just mumble about topics you hold no grasp and now that I caught you sudently play the passive agressive card that is always the same from people defending your beliefs.

I really hoped you'd learn something. Then you conclude with this:

McDonald's first opened in 1970's Ireland. We didn't require 10,000 Americans coming to Ireland for that to happen.
    The potato became an Irish staple and we didn't require 10,000 Peruvians coming to Ireland for that to happen.
    We drink coffee and tea and we didn't require 10,000 Arabians or Indians coming to Ireland for that to happen.

Let me fix that for you:

McDonald's first opened in 1970's Ireland. We required millions of Irish to be "exported" to America
    The potato became an Irish staple and we required 10,000 British coming to Ireland for that to happen.
    We drink coffee and tea and we required 10,000 British coming to Ireland for that to happen.

At least you got that last one right xD

You certainly have the moral superiority one can only gain from a humanities degree anyway. Though usually the most cock-sure are full of the most ****e.

you certainly lack the skills to engage in a productive, constructive discussion..

But it's normal to read such comments, when people like you don't have nothing to back it up, you either retort in ad hominem or play the victim card...

Sorry for bursting your bubble...

biko wrote: »
    Speaking of Nigeria and meeting of cultures.

Islamists that kidnapped 11 Christians in northeast Nigeria on Christmas Day have executed five of them.

A video, dated Dec. 29, shows five armed members of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) lining up behind five men dressed in orange robes who are kneeling with their hands tied behind them.

Ordered in the Hausa language to state their names, each of the kneeling men in turn is heard saying their name and adding, “I’m a Christian.”

Speaking in the Hausa language common throughout northern Nigeria, one of the ISWAP militants then says, “This is a warning to Christians in all parts of the world and those in Nigeria. We have not forgotten what you did to our brethren in Zangon Kataf town and other parts of Nigeria. Use the heads of these five of your brethren to continue with your ungodly celebrations.”

The five Christians are then shot to death.

https://morningstarnews.org/2020/12/iswap-terrorists-execute-five-christians-in-nigeria-video-shows/

Well.. since we're going down the whataboutism road... allow me please...

The Troubles

So first of all you mention that you lived in Africa and Asia... that's all very nice but they're two gigantic continents. You can't in any possible way say that your experience in one country speaks for whole continents.

I never said that my experiences did... you're the one interjecting that assumption.
    Same thing in Africa, you will be racial abused in Congo and even Angola but not in Namibia, Quenia or Egypt...

You obviously haven't spent any time in Egypt then.
    Also both continents are extremely diverse in terms of cultures, religions and traditions, you can't simply put whole continents in one bag as having behaviours you expect in Ireland and felt there..

So the question is which countries did you travel too as then we can analyse that in detail...

No.. because it's a deflection, since I stated that you shouldn't/couldn't judge the people based on a national or cultural perception.
    And yes I'm from Portugal,

Ahh I have friends from there, and judging by their stories (and my own experiences in Lisbon and Porto) you're in no position to lecture Irish people about racial crime...
    So comparing this with what I've seen in Ireland in the last 9 years I can tell you I have never even seen one single African associated with crime.

Bully for you. I haven't seen anyone associated to crime in many years... because I don't associate myself with any kind of groups that would be involved in crime.
    It annoys me

I snipped a lot because I can't be bothered, because you didn't actually address what I wrote except to apply deflections. Consider your OP and my OP. And stop deflecting.

The evidence for the earliest brewers of beer are found in present day Iran, Iraq and Israel and rice beer was going down in China 6000 years ago(though it may well have been brewed even further back in present day Turkey). So it's simplistic to claim it was "created in Egypt". Even the first writings on it are Sumerian.

Oh well I didn't check that and pulled it off of my head, I mixed Beer and Bread aparently.

History of Bread

But you see, I have no problem in admiting when I'm wrong. You on the other hand... just simply lost the plot after I deconstructed your nativist bs :)

I really was thinking you'd learn something but obviously I keep forgetting people stuck in your ways despise any form of learning. They just want to be stuck in the same old dogmas forever. :):):)

A bit of an advice, have a read on the links I gave you at least. :)

• Advertisement

I never said that my experiences did... you're the one interjecting that assumption.

You obviously haven't spent any time in Egypt then.

No.. because it's a deflection, since I stated that you shouldn't/couldn't judge the people based on a national or cultural perception.

Ahh I have friends from there, and judging by their stories (and my own experiences in Lisbon and Porto) you're in no position to lecture Irish people about racial crime...

Bully for you. I haven't seen anyone associated to crime in many years... because I don't associate myself with any kind of groups that would be involved in crime.

I snipped a lot because I can't be bothered, because you didn't actually address what I wrote except to apply deflections. Consider your OP and my OP. And stop deflecting.

So...

1 - Yes you did, you erased the part where you said you got mugged for being white

2 - Yes I have been to Egypt a number of times :)

3 - No it's not a deflection, you want to justify your behaviour through saying entire continents feel the same which is not true...

4 - Yes I am very well aware of racism in my country and I'm the first one to point that out? So what's your point? That I can't point out how wrong you are here either? You only allow me to do so in my country is it? Though luck I'll denounce your bull**** here too as much as would do it in Portugal or in Egypt if I had seen it or anywhere else...

5 - Oh look again the imaculate Irish gene. Yes I'm sure you're extremely pure in your behaviour... nice try at another ad hominem but as always klaz, you have zero arguments, you just spit words and try to glue them to the cealing :D

6 - AHAHAH again with the Ad Hominem. I adressed everything you wrote again :D I find it so funny how you Irish with zero arguments just go down this road so easily :D

Now, don't be offended and report me to the admins now to have our comments removed again ok? ;)

Advertisement