Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Luna84

I think it looks good the way they have it. I actually don't like the ones built into the dashboard they are usually smaller screens so they can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Manufacturers have learned that you're better off no longer integrating infotainment units into the dash as they are an item that can be updated regularly or be available in different sizes depending on trim level.

This way they can have a single standard connector built into every car that can accept any display unit, current and future. Theoretically it could make it easier for owners to reteofit newer units into older cars depending on how they were installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Volkswizard latest YouTube video ..

https://youtu.be/PxLU0b5fL5k?si=xEMXoSr_rJH-xxsB

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SeanChris

I currently drive a 2L diesel Mk7, not a GTD.

I’ve been thinking of changing to a Mk7 GTI, probably 2014/15.

Commute is a bit all over the shop, I do quite a bit of driving with work, all in I’m doing around 500km a week, over half of that is motorway one day a week which I get paid mileage for.

As tempting as a GTI is I’m not sure if I’ll just end up regretting it when the fuel bill starts to pile up.

I’ve also got an old Mx-5 which I’d be selling, guessing I’d lose out on the fun factor there..

what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you're paid half that mileage, 250km a week at your own expense shouldn't be too bad. I believe they're reasonable on the fuel provided the rest of your driving isn't sitting in horrendous rush hour traffic.

The alternative would be a GTD and get it remapped to make it a bit more lively/fun so you have a balance of performance and reasonable running costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That would probably cover your fuel for the week if your getting civil service rates. They're not bad on fuel, I had a GTI, 6mts in an ID3(don't) and R as a company car.

Seats are more comfortable in an R for a lot of driving but the GTI is a hoot, a lot lighter. I'd look at both. Depreciation isn't massive on them so put than into your man maths when working it out.

Are you friends with any panel beaters, this could be worth checking out, shouldn't be too hard locate some white doors https://www.donedeal.ie/damagedcars-for-sale/2017-vw-golf-mk7-5-gti/35901024

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Ended up picking up an estate version, posted the advertisement here a while back.

I'm looking at doing a stage 1 later this year and wondering how far I can push stage 2 without NCT issues?

I'll be importing it into Ireland later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭easyvision

Looking by how far the thread is down the list, there isn't much interest in Golfs anymore :( I see they are now down to 2.9% APR on the finance calculator, PCP. Randomly playing with it seems it would be 50 a month cheaper in theory to get a new one ! Though with how my experience went with getting a 6 month old one Im a little reluctant tbh. Also see the updated version will come out summer probably... I assume higher interest rates than now. And leaving all finance and trade in options etc alone, Im kind oof just getting bored with the golf, they just arent what they used to be! (That and the fact there will be no GTD version, half considering GTI but I drive a bit mixture of motorway and city, around 20,000km a year, never had any issue with DPF even once). Though GTI trade in values would be more, thought double the tax (not a huge issue but its just wasted money that theres no benefit to me). I think I will wait for new A3 and 1 series to come out to look at options. Ive no interest in any electric vehicles currently. I was a serious Golf fan growing up, MK8 was just a huge mistake VW made, it really doesn't pay to try and save a few hundred euro per vehicle. The interior just doesn't feel as special as a MK7.5. Storage is just nowhere near as good, cupholder flimsy AF, too much cheap plastic, screen to small, and other storage gone in car, along with bonnet spring gone, serious pity as they were in huge demand up until the end of MK7.5s, don't see a huge amount on roads anymore (that could be general shift to crossovers though also) . Anyway sorry for my kind of long winded rant, I may go wash the car!

Any opinions? Cheers 😄

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I agree with you Kev, the Mk8 does nothing for me. The interior is a complete deal breaker for many people I reckon and the crazy price increases for a lower quality car is the nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'm biased here but...

I've had a MK8 Clubsport for 2.5 years now. It's been a great car, in fact it's been the most reliable least troublesome VW I've owned. I have just one problem with it this week actually - and it is self inflicted - I spotted a hairline crack on one of the front alloys, its probably been there for ages but now that I've seen it I can't get it out of my head. I'm gonna have to get it sorted / replaced 🙈

As for the interior quality observations.... having owned MK7's in the past, in my opinion the quality of the MK7 is very overstated and the MK8 is somewhat understated. The truth is somewhere in the middle! The local dealers here did a "50 years of GTI" event recently and had a MK1 -> MK8 lined up side by side... I sat into each of them. I was amazed at how fresh the MK5 still felt, relatively speaking. For me, that was peak GTI. And to be quite honest, the MK7 felt a little dated! And this was a MK7 Clubsport... it did really feel a bit dated compared to the more airy, brighter (and more minimalist) MK8 interior. My main bugbear with the MK8 is the infotainment screen can be a bit laggy and cumbersome but it does look like they're addressing that in the 8.5.

I'm definitely in no rush to change my car, I intend to keep it for a long while yet. Usually I'd be itching to change to something else at this stage of ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Can anyone tell me the definitive guidance for changing timing belt in a 2017 diesel Golf Match ?

There is no info in the manual and online search shows conflicting guidance including the fact that it might be a timing chain bit also might be a timing belt ! It’s sure a service in a few weeks so I’m thinking it might be time

130km on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

I’m pretty sure its a lifetime belt so 130k miles. I think dealers in Ireland give a time interval of maybe 5 or 10 years but in the UK it’s just 130k miles with no time interval.

I am open to correction tho

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

After a LOT of looking online I found this VAG Official Service QI4, QI6, QI7, Diesel, Normal (1).pdf from the following site VW Golf Mk7 (all versions) Official Worldwide Maintenance Schedules | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum which backs up what you say.

For piece of mind I am going to get it done next month when I get the car serviced anyways.

It is crazy that it it not in the manual or service schedule book.

Thanks for the help

Trying to find service information can be a pain, it's made worse when some of the main dealers just have a receptionist on their service desk.

I called to check what was due for year 6 on my old Golf, I was told something like spark plugs were due as it's at 60,000km but when I told her they were done in year 4 she didn't seem to understand. If that was my missus who knows nothing about cars she would have gone ahead and it wouldn't surprise me if the work got done without someone copping it.

Friend of mine had the same issue with their A6 TDI DSG. Several different main dealers told them conflicting information about whether or not the gearbox needed servicing. Nobody asked for the reg which probably would have said what specific gearbox it had and made it very clear what job needed to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Howdy, just wondering if anyone has experienced bulb warning lights appearing on their dashboard even though the bulbs in question are actually working? I am having this issue my golf.

Reseated the bulbs and the issue still arises. Not sure what to do?!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

You need to use a diagnostic such as vcds to see which bulb is putting on the eating then check the wiring and connectors on that circuit, the light comes on due to high resistance

It could also be the fact someone fitted leg bulbs somewhere

Thank you! Does anyone have recommendations in Dublin that can look into this type of issue?

Any auto electrician would do it, where abouts in Dublin are you

I am around the Dublin 15 or Dublin 11 area.

• Advertisement

I don’t know anyone on the Northside, just search Google Maps for auto electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Woodie40

The MK7 is a much superior car. The MK8 is very downmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

have to agree. Was out over the weekend looking at a Mk8 GTD and was very disappointed with the interior and lack of features (no heated seats, no reversing camera etc) brand new Octavia VRS diesel not much more money and way better spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Most of them would have heated seats and reverse camera. The seats are part of the winter pack. Unusual for it not to be spec’d. Oddly, the heated steering wheel is standard.

I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't want heated seats!

I honestly don't like being too warm. Heater is enough to heat the car for a few minutes then turn it back to cold is what I usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I'm the same. My last couple of cars have had them and now I couldn't be without them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Have them in my car now for four years. Used them twice just to try them out. Never saw the need for them to be honest. Same for heated steering wheel. I wouldn't want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭easyvision

I wouldnt live without heated seats and steering wheel now, though I drive alot on winter mornings and it can be freezing, my hands just dont warm up! First world problems, but leather steering wheels are realy cold on winter mornings! the heated seats come on near instantly, so within in a min Im warm. I do wish I could remote heat it before I get in though!! Any non electric cars do this anyone know?

• Advertisement

My old e39 I had many years ago if you drove for a decent while and pulled up some where in the winter you could turn on the heat(not roasting heat but enough) when the engine was off and it would use the heat from the motor to keep you warm. Cool trick.

edit: I just thought I'd mention that since we are talking about being warm in cars.

Advertisement