Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The prices are only going one way - up! And very very steeply. My car (GTI Clubsport) spec-for-spec would cost approx 12-13K more today than I paid exactly 2 years ago. And thats before you get into the financing aspect of it - PCP rates are gone completely mad now too. The cars are very poor value now imo, there is no sense in sinking the guts of 60 grand into a diesel Golf - or any Golf tbh.

As far as the reliability issues are concerned, to give a different perspective, my car has been faultless. Its due a 2nd service around now and that'll only be its 2nd time back to the dealers - the first time being its first service! So there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason or pattern to it. I would say though that later cars (cars built from late 2021 onwards) seem to have most of the issues ironed out - Generally.

However, my father has a Tiguan, bought new shortly before I bought my GTI and the Tiguan is plagued with problems simiar to those experienced by @easyvision. The dealers have been sympathetic and have tried many fixes but the issues persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭easyvision

I see APR on new Golfs down to 4.9% now on PCP, was 7.9%. Positive move but most likely not much stock either. On finance calculator seems like it would save around €100 monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Have a decent offer for my own mark 5 golf from this crowd.

Any thoughts on the spec, price etc?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r/34880730

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

30k seems very high for a '16, lower milage regardless.

You'd be wanting full spec for that price imo and it's missing heated seats and Pano roof for a start...

7 previous owners. 30 grand. Surely there’s better options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I think these are indicative of what's out there at the moment.

2015 -115k km, basic spec and no keyless entry - €27,700

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-volkswagen-golf-r-300hp-automatic/35164506

2015 - leather but no keyless entry, 185k km - €27950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-vw-golf-r-2-0tsi-d6a-3dr-300hp/35123525

2016 - 96000 miles - 5 owners, 3 door private sale €29,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-mk7-sunroof/34647825

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I know of a very decent one coming up for sale. 2 owner original irish car, black,115kms, pro nav and two tone leather Interior which was an expensive option. Full VWSH..

Owner is asking 29k and is only selling due to medical reasons. PM if interested and I can put you in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Anyone know much about the mk7 GTE or know what they are like to live with? Was it not possible to spec a GTE with a sunroof when new? I'm looking for a mk7 with a sunroof but can't find a GTE with one. They all seem to be the same colour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

You could get one with a sunroof but it’s unlikely that you’ll find one here. Theres a few of them in the UK.

I think the mk7 only came in 3 or 4 different colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Howdy!

I'm considering importing this R into Ireland as I plan to relocate back with it in a few months.

I always had a soft spot for wagons and the golf r, so just wondering if anyone sees any issues with the plan?

for me, I don't think wagons/estates are common so if anything happens the body it's a long repair job. I'm happy to live with that risk.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

• Advertisement

You need to own it and drive it for at least 6 months if you want to qualify for transfer or residency

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Yeah thank you, should be able to tick that box.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

Popping back into this thread for the first time in a while to ask for a bit of advice.

2016 MK7 GTI PP, with about 95k km. It went in for its regular service and I asked them to have a look at the clutch. I'd noticed the clutch pedal failing to fully come back up a couple of times. Not all the time, just occasionally. Maybe once every couple/few weeks. It would come up half the way, and after a pump or two it would be fine again.

They've come back with a quote of 1800 to replace clutch kit, clutch master and slave cylinder. VW main dealers.

Clutches need replacing every now and then, no big deal. But just wondering if I should go elsewhere and perhaps look to put in a 'better' clutch than the OEM one?

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Depending where you are in the country, I'd recommend reaching out to Daltons in Portlaoise and/or Goldens in Cork - both well regarded in VW circles and will likely come up cheaper than the VW quoted figure

I'm in Galway so getting the car to Portlaoise, getting home for a day or two (it's a long job) and then getting back is a bit of a pain but I might give them a ring anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

I would start with the master cylinder and change the clutch kit at a later date of the issue persists. The master cylinders are a known issue and there is no advantage really to doing it at the same time as the clutch so you have nothing to lose

There's no major benefit to doing the whole lot at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

No the master cylinder is attached to the pedal nowhere near the clutch and the rest incl the slave cylinder are inside the gearbox so you wouldn't save any labour by doing them together

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I’ll be selling my 2018 (181) Golf GTI in the next month or so, I’ve been looking online and there’s a range of asking prices. The mileage is 109k km and it’s in very good condition, 5 door, FVWSH, just got NCT done, just serviced and ceramic coating. The usual equipment as normal otherwise.

After browsing through the various websites I think 26.5k is reasonable for the asking price, just wondering what people think?

Friend of mine has been trying to sell his 2017 with similar mileage. Asking price is €25k but theres not much interest in it, its been for sale nearly 6 months now.

So I’d suggest an asking price of €25k for yours if you actually want to sell it within a decent timeframe.

No one really has €25k sitting in the bank with no finance or trade in so its hard to sell these cars privately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

The only cars selling are the ones priced low. There are a hell of a lot of cars siting on DoneDeal for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Uncamouflaged pictures of the facelifted model have now leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Look like skoda vrs wheels

I was thinking Alfa Romeo when I saw the wheels, but yes, a bit like Octavia VRS too.

I really don't like the idea of putting the model badge on the door under the mirror! Looks terrible. The "blades" on the wings of the current car are much nicer. They've stuck a big giant phablet screen on the dash too. Looks very oversized and out of place in the photos I've seen.

Overall, as expected, it's a very subtle mid-life facelift.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

The wheels are actually a nod to the MK5 GTI wheels from what I can tell, same outline but no solid interior.

Agreed on the model badging, bit of a strange one. Currently the MK8 GTE doesn't even get a badge as the charging port of the left fender means it would be split in two. So naturally they didn't bother adding it.

You're right yeah, I can see the nod to the Monza wheels too. I wonder will the current horrid standard 18's on the GTI still be around...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 633 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

The interior photos of modern VW's makes me sad. That said I say the new steering wheel in the Mk8.5 will be a popular refit for mk8 owners.

Not for me, the haptic buttons are fine on the wheel imo.

But again, looking at the photo I saw, the new one still has some haptic buttons.

A few interior pics. On closer inspection it does look like the wheel buttons are traditional non-haptic, but in gloss black so they "appear" like the haptic ones at a glance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The size of the screen and the way it is angled towards the driver makes it look they got a tablet and literally just stuck it on top of the dashboard as if it was some aftermarket/DIY job 🤔

Advertisement