Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

A dealbreaker for me buying any new car is heated seats !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Same. It’s one of those features that you can’t see the point of until you’ve had it. I wouldn’t have a new car without them. Heated wheel is lovely too tbh.

Actually both features are really good at getting you cosy quickly and efficiently compared to the regular cabin heating. EV owners are very fond of heated seats/wheel as it’s a lot less hard on range than the cabin heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

I'm definitely not in the heated wheel and seats camp, had them and not a big fan really just never used them

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭easyvision

New Golf is up on the VW website, not much info really or pricing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

The Style 1.5 TSI eHybrid model is 51.5k on the road. Not sure how much that model was before but it wouldn't exactly make you think the GTI, R or even the GTE will be great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Luna84

I agree. Back a few years not even that long ago that was GTi territory maybe even R if you go back far enough.

Yep. I bought a mk7 R with a few trimmings in 2015 for about 48k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I agree it's a crazy price... but it's not a basic version of a Golf.

It's so expensive because it's a PHEV. The cheapest new Golf is €34,345. The 150 HP R-Line petrol version is €42,895.

Fair enough I thought it was just a regular hybrid. But even still, its in the cheapest VRT bracket of 7% and still costs over €50k?

And in terms of spec it just looks awful. Interior/exterior is fairly depressing.

• Advertisement

Predicting now I think the 8.5 will be a sales flop. They've just no effort into it or changed interior quality enough to attract people to upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

PHEV Golf hasn't made any sense for a few years - much better value getting an ID4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Anyone used VW's 0% percent offer on Hire Purchase of new cars? Am tempted by a new mk8 Golf.

Think its 0% PCP also currently

PCP is 2.9% afaik.

0% HP is great, if it works for you. Your monthlies will obviously be relatively steep compared to PCP, even with a good deposit. On the upside, no big balloon payment at the end.

Dont know if its accurate but its 0% PCP on finance calculator now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just had a look. An R for under €500 a month. 23k deposit and 36k final payment

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

Anyone have experience with the 1.5 mild hybrid? Just wondering what the MPG would be compared to a 1.5 TSi or GTD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Anyone ever had an issue with the coolant tank leaking? Warning light came on about a month ago out of the blue in my 171 GTD. Topped it up but it's come on almost once a week since and needed topping up. Can't see any leak on the ground under the car, have it booked in for a service so will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jorry

Had that same issue with coolant, water pump was leaking as timing belt change was due. (5 years exactly) Got dealer to replace timing belt and i think water pump replacement is also included. Anyway new timing belt resolved issue and just to add one particular west Dublin VW dealer tried to exploit my situation by insisting on taking in car to diagnose coolant leak before attempting timing belt replacement even though I emphatically stated that yes there is a coolant leak but it is probably timing belt replacement interval related. And I would have to wait 2 months for a diagnosis slot. Thankfully I found a North Dublin dealer who was happy to do the work promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

[Replying to Comic Book Guy]

Had the same issue on my 181 GTI a week ago. Water pump and thermostat housing needed replacing. Was driving got an error coolant level low. 1.3k to fix on a Indy garage as VW (Frank Keane) would only be available to diagnosis in June . Done a week now and seems to be all ok.

Seems like is a known issue on TSI engines, that VW dealer denied. But plenty of discussion on other forums.

I jsut had a recall letter come in the post other day to get mine checked in dealer! 2022 GTD

Frank Keane booked out until June for any servicing etc!!! Had to unfortunately book in with Joe Duffy whose service leaves alot to be desired (it doesnt exist and they dont care, you're just an inconvenience to them)

Also just noticed new Golf on finance calculator - GTI from 58,700 exc delivery 2.9%

Right sorry for a rant but I just have to! Joe Duffys are saying my front parking sensor isnt covered under warranty because its stone chipped….. I rang VW Ireland customer care to try and get onto them for some kind of resolution to this (VW or dealer pays for it as a "goodwill" gesture - otherwise its €350 for 1 sensor!!), they are to contact me tomorrow supposedly regarding this. Never in my entire life have I had so many issues with one bloody car (all electrical). I really want rid of this!!! And on top of this they try sell me a new GTD on the 0% finance with the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree in the video (that was unsolicited I may add) - actually enraged me. Anyway I need some recommendations for cars at this stage. pref 600 ish max a month decent power and decent enough on fuel , diesel if possible as I do alot of motorway driving. Cheers 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Octavia VRS .. better spec, same engine and you won’t have to deal with those chancers anymore. I test drove the mk8 GTD and the spec was appalling compared to the equivalent Octavia .. got a 2024 diesel Vrs and it’s so much nicer than the equivalent GTD and cheaper!

Yes I had considered but one the guys in work had one and had all the glitchy radio system with all the issues (failed electrics also) and went into limp mode. Im very weary of any VW group product now, I know it doesnt really leave many options :(

Seems standard enough practice. If the sensor is stone chipped then it may well have been the stone that caused it.

Just go somewhere else if they won’t fix it under warranty/goodwill

• Advertisement

Was talking to manager, said that many cars are coming back with sensors failing though, so it seems a common issue and agreed with me re MK8 quality has gone downhill and actually downgraded back to a 7.5 herself so that says it all really! Bearing in mind this car has been back to same garage multiple times with issues, power steering failure the biggest with car off the road for 6 weeks for diagnostics and repairs. The least they can do in my eyes is fix the sensor, whether its them or VW pay I dont care

Advertisement