Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Any other suggestions as to what to try? It is fair annoying

Jaysus it’s working again this morning. Let’s see for how long

Post edited by km79 on

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Time for the 6th service on the aul econobox 1 litre.

Looking at a service schedule I found online for the Mk7, I don't see many things that need to be serviced and I'm assuming it's the same service schedule for the Mk7.5.

Oil/filter, cabin filter, air filter, spark plugs, brake fluid. No DSG, Haldex or diff for me to worry about. Is that it? I don't think the 2017 has an OPF but that's at 210,000km apparently and coolant is basically whenever it leaks.

Frank Keane's website recommends a Major Service every 2 years which includes spark plugs but according to VW they're 4 yr intervals? €240 for an oil change! Needless to say I won't be going to them.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Test drove a golf r mk7.5 today, put a big smile on my face.

Just need to offload my own now

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Hi all, new to this thread, I've a Golf R 7.5, needs pads and discs. Got a price from VW which is fairly high and was thinking I could probably get better discs and pads for the same price or less outside of VW. Have been reading about Vagbrentechic (VBT) drilled discs that seem to get good review and look better than the standard items. Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that would supply and fit these or other types of discs / pads for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

Daltons maybe? Or try get them for a cheap price online and get a mechanic to fit them

Thanks User1998. I googled Daltons, that's a company in Portlaoise yeah? Quick look at their site there and the performance shop company they have, I could end up going in for pads and discs and come out with some stage 3 monster lol. I assume they are well known and regarded in the VW world? I have never ventured outside of main dealer so never heard of them before!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Well regarded and respected when it comes to VAG cars - I've used them for years and never had an issue, they did the brakes in my 7.5 R a year or so ago - I went with Clubsport discs, Racingline pads and braided hoses, pads are probably a bit much tbh but I thought why not at the time

Thanks bennyx_o, good to hear a positive view from someone who has used them with the same car as me. I'll give them a call.

Me again! My Golf R is currently stock. After looking at Daltons website and a few videos on line has got me thinking that I would love to start making a few mods to it. Was thinking Remap, intake, res delete and intercooler. Rang my insurer and they said we can't actually give you a quote until the work is done and certified by an engineer and even at that we might decide not to offer cover once all done. Obviously this approach is way to risky. Does anyone on here have mods done and what insurer do you use? I would want a company to quote me on the proposed mods subject to a satisfactory engineers report.

• Advertisement

Me personally I’ve never declared any mods. The whole topic has been discussed at length on here a few times

Thanks User1998 I'll go back through the thread.

Not this exact thread, just on multiple different threads across the platform. It gets discussed/argued quite often. There are usually threads dedicated to the discussion

Who's to say they weren't there when you bought the car wink wink? A friend of mine had an Audi A6 that was definitely remapped.

I'd avoid a Res delete though, they're fairly obnoxious. If you want a bit of sound get a nice Miltek exhaust. A map, intake and exhaust would be a nice start.

Did a bit of googling there. Found various places where the whole insurance thing has been debated. Varying views but honestly just know I wouldn't fully enjoy all the mods if I cant get insured properly. I'd always be worried about it.

Davey re the res delete I see a lot of differing views on this aswell. A lot of people get it done, hate it and reinstate the resonator!

All a mute point until I can find an insurer that will cover me, oh and find the money to pay for all the mods ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MartyMcFly1989

The MK7 is so much nicer than the MK8, you can see the cost cutting everywhere in the totally cheap and inferior MK8. A real shame as the Golf was a great car.

I've a res delete on mine and don't find it obnoxious and doesn't drone either. I'd recommend one

bennyx_o what one did you get done?

I've a Vagsport one

Doing some more research (at work so not super thorough lol) and looking at a Mk7.5 service document albeit for US market, it's the same as the Mk7 one I have aside from the DSG/Haldex interval which doesn't apply to me.

Is there anything I should be looking out for aside from general service stuff, any drain plugs to check around the car or other items worth inspecting? Car is going on 6 years old now so wouldn't mind throwing a good eye over specific areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The higher trims make them a very nice place to be for a non-premium car. The quality difference between the Mk7/7.5 compared to other brands for similar money is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I'm considering changing from my 181 Golf GTI, it's standard spec but in excellent condition inside and out. I've looked online and I've seen a few private sales for 28k, with similar mileage to mine, 98k km. My question is, given the cost of petrol and everything else at the moment, what do people think is my chance of selling it? I don't really want to change but I'm doing a fair bit of mileage at the moment and the costs are mounting up.

Of course you will sell it. If the price is right. Realistically the sale price will be closer to the €25k after negotiating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

Sorry if I offended the German fanboys, criticism is not allowed it seems.

Im hanging onto my Mk5. The last good GTi.

Out of curiosity, in what way do you find a mk5 to be better quality or a better car than a mk7/mk7.5?

Obviously the mk6 hasn’t really aged that well and mostly just a spruced up mk5, but I don’t see much wrong with the mk7 tbh. Mk8 has arguably gone downhill.

Personal opinion is the shape, DSG and just the general styling. The Edition 30 is my favourite.

I loved the MK4 before that but so bland unless you had the 180 version.

I found the 6 onwards was just too “mainstream”. They were everywhere in my locality unfortunately drove by people who were in the pharmaceutical business.

We all have our opinions. Thankfully, or it will be a boring life.

Funnily enough a Mk6 popped up from Japan last week and it was immaculate. I was nearly tempted at €8k. And I normally would run a mile from them but this one was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ah here… this is just nonsense. Constructive genuine criticism is always welcomed and plenty of it gets posted in here. But a comment like “cheap and crap” is unnecessary and it’s clearly posted looking for a rise. How many MK7’s have you owned? What do you base “cheap and crap” on?

The MK7 is anything but cheap and crap, it’s a genuinely good car with very few quality issues. The 7.5, although I never owned one is imo peak in terms of looks and perceived interior quality. The MK7 Clubsport, TCR, are very good looking cars imo.

I’ve had a MK5, 2 MK7’s and now a MK8. Have enjoyed them all and yes I’d probably look back on the MK5 most fondly, as it was my first one… but probably with a heavy rose tint on my glasses.

Despite some (unfair imo) perception that things have dipped, my MK8 has been the most reliable (not seen the dealers bar servicing) and solidly built of the whole lot.

Advertisement