Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The greens need to be buried once and for all. A disgrace what they've done!

They're turning the park from a national amenity into just the locals own park.

I used to drive 30 minutes and park on Chesterfield avenue and go walk around the park. Now I won't bother. I have been in, parking near the cricket club but it's very tight for space in there.

30km/h...how many people are killed on the roads in the Park every year???

"take public transport"...I'm not going wasting my valuable evening time walking for a bus, waiting for a bus, travelling on a bus, walking to the park....then walking around the park and doing the same thing back again. I HATE the greens.

There'll be lads on bikes passing cars out going over 30km/h

If anything, lads on bikes should be forced to go slower because if they hit a deer etc they'll do far more damage to themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

LOL, are the Green Party still the bogey man for some people who they blame for every innocuous thing, even if it has nothing to do with them?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The greens need to be buried once and for all. A disgrace what they've done!

They're turning the park from a national amenity into just the locals own park.

The greens didn't make the decision on this. Whilst they campaigned for it, so too did many others.

I used to drive 30 minutes and park on Chesterfield avenue and go walk around the park. Now I won't bother. I have been in, parking near the cricket club but it's very tight for space in there.

You can still drive and park your car in the Phoenix Park. Is it that you object to having to start your walk from a different starting point?

Actually, might you be Eugene McDonagh?

30km/h...how many people are killed on the roads in the Park every year???

Is the number of fatalities your benchmark for safety? When they introduce pedestrian crossing points and have more people cycling, do you think s0km/h is too slow?

"take public transport"...I'm not going wasting my valuable evening time walking for a bus, waiting for a bus, travelling on a bus, walking to the park....then walking around the park and doing the same thing back again. I HATE the greens.

Nobody is forcing you to take a bus. However, you driving on your own should not have priority over a bus load of people, should you? Giving priority to busses and active travel is not the work of the greens. All parties claim to support it. If you're going to hate the greens then I'm sure they won't lose any sleep. However, before telling people of your hatred for them, be sure that you're armed with the facts.

I'm in the park everyday. There is loads of parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Yeah you've been repeating this rubbish for ever. Gaslighting won't make the problem go away.

It's not rubbish. Anyone with eyes can see all the parking there is in there!

Posters blaming the greens because they can't get parked in the cricket ground car park is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

The OPW have been pushing for this for years and they would prefer to close park to through traffic completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There is loads of parking while most people are in work and the kids are in school.

When people are actually in a position to use the park, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Sure. No issue with narrowing the road if it's deemed safe and will reduce speeds.

Road design speed is a fairly basic traffic engineering concept. And you can say to look inward all you want, but do you think your average boy racer is going to care? The road needs to designed for the speed limit set in order to avoid relying on people following the rules.

• Advertisement

It's definitely busier at weekends, but you would expect that. Getting stroppy cos you can't park at the cricket ground is a bit much. Park in one of the many other places to park.

So there NEVER any problems parking we are just imagining it.

Yep, about 4/5 weekends in the summer it's extremely busy. But you would expect that, well any reasonable person would.

Any reasonable person couldn't expect them to cater for the parking of a few busy weekends on every other day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There is a massive problem with illegal parking if thats what you mean, cars destroying the grass.

Just down the road in the botanic gardens and st annes park there is little or no car parking and yet people get on with it, no complaints. There are thousands of car park spaces all over the Phoenix Park. The sq footage of car park space in the Phoenix Park is about 10 times higher than the sq footage of bicycle lanes. In all my years of using it I have never once been unable to get a car park spot, except maybe during Dublin City Marathon. And to note, I've been in the park on average once or twice a week for the past 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Your point is fair one - i.e. a lot of drivers just wont care - but its a bit unfair to pin it on boy racers. The average joe can be a fairly aggressive driver. Best place to see this in action is turning left up the hill from Chapelizod Gates. Not all drivers are d*ckheads - but d*ckhead drivers can be man/ woman/ young / old/ Irish/ non Irish......its that cohort of people who dont care about anyone else, which is fairly evenly spread.

You don’t build car parks in a park to cater for the busiest that they will ever be. If you rock up at 2pm on a hot Saturday afternoon in June I’m not sure you can expect to find your preferred spot tbh. Richmond park in London, probably the closest equivalent to Phoenix park, both in terms of size, parking, and traffic management, is the same

Fine. Don't need parking enforcement or traffic calming if it's not ever busy. Fine as it's don't change it.

The one ways, bollards and speed limit is more about drivers travelling through the park than it is a about people visiting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where did you get the impression it's not ever busy?

That is the worst part of the park for bad driving, up from the gate and around the bends. Blocking that road to through traffic is the best of all these measures

Eh so who am I to blame because I can't park in the cricket ground? I never had trouble parking in Chesterfield Avenue!

There's fecking bicycle lanes already on the already very wide path ffs!

I want to see the stats on why the speed limit was reduced. How many people died or were injured in the Phoenix park?

This is just yet another move to get people out of cars. Ah yeah, spin it as "people are choosing to leave their cars at home" when in fact they're just making it impossible for people to use their cars so they are forced into something else, reducing their standard of living.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Eh so who am I to blame because I can't park in the cricket ground? I never had trouble parking in Chesterfield Avenue!

You are to blame. You chose to drive and you didn't arrive before others had taken all the spots that should have been kept specially for you.

As for parking on Chesterfield Ave, see my previous post!

There's fecking bicycle lanes already on the already very wide path ffs!

Erm, they tend to have lots of pedestrians and for this reason are no longer cycle paths. For someone who parked on Chesterfield Ave so many times, I'm surprised that you didn't notice all of this!

That what I'm being told here. Only busy a few days a year. No problem with parking. No problem with speeding, not problem with traffic.

Its the perfect haven. I must have imagined what I've experienced, beside as has been suggested you can always park 2-3km away. No problems.

Ever tried to get into Blanchardstown SC or Liffey Valley SC in the weeks before Christmas? Pretty busy, could take hours!

They could hardly be expected to put in new car parks because four weeks are really busy, hardly reasonable!

same thing

Like I suggested earlier. Divide the park. Make it so you can only enter and leave by the same gate. End of through traffic.

TBH as soon as you do that they don't need access any further than a car park. So Papal cross could only be got to via the entrance at St Marys etc. Farmleigh via castle4knock etc. Zoo via South Circular.

• Advertisement

Wait a minute. So it's MY fault there's no parking because I didn't arrive early enough.

Going by that logic, aren't the pedestrians walking on the cycle lane to blame for not getting their early enough and should be thrown out of the park???

It's called a cycle lane for a reason...you're not allowed walk on it!

Advertisement