Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I'm traveling today, waiting at the gate in fact.

I am front line, haven't had 2 days in a row off since covid started hitting the fan. Haven't seen my wife and daughters since February as they live in Spain and I normally commute.

My roster has been changed overnight and boards is littered with people claiming covid payments while demanding I take a wage cut.

My family couldn't attend a family funeral either as a result. A funeral for a covid victim.

I'm not looking for applause, keep that for the health staff but calling me selfish? **** the horse you rode in on.

Let's hope you stick to the guidelines when you come back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I am front line, haven't had 2 days in a row off since covid started hitting the fan. Haven't seen my wife and daughters since February as they live in Spain and I normally commute.

My roster has been changed overnight and boards is littered with people claiming covid payments while demanding I take a wage cut.

My family couldn't attend a family funeral either as a result. A funeral for a covid victim.

I'm not looking for applause, keep that for the health staff but calling me selfish? **** the horse you rode in on.

Well obviously travelling to visit your family who you haven't seen since February would be perceived as less selfish than a family travelling abroad for their holidays..

You're the one taking the risk, travelling to Spain even though you may catch the virus en route, but that's your decision.

What I am saying, is that anyone travelling abroad for the purpose of leisure alone is selfish af.

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Let's hope you stick to the guidelines when you come back

I will be back in work as my company won't pay me to be off for 2 weeks and really I stand much more chance of catching in work than in Spain. We are short numbers as well so only one person can be off at any given time.

Those guidelines I would suspect, will be gone soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Anyone going on a holiday outside Ireland is selfish as f*ck. What a slap in the face to our healthcare workers..
    With the summer weather so poor in Ireland, I would imagine that many healthcare workers are flying off for a much deserved break in the sun.

I will be back in work as my company won't pay me to be off for 2 weeks and really I stand much more chance of catching in work than in Spain.

Those guidelines I would suspect, will be gone soon

And if they're not gone? You're just going to ignore them and potentially infect your colleagues? If that's not selfish then I don't know what is! Lol

• Advertisement

Well obviously travelling to visit your family who you haven't seen since February would be perceived as less selfish than a family travelling abroad for their holidays..

You're the one taking the risk, travelling to Spain even though you may catch the virus en route, but that's your decision.

What I am saying, is that anyone travelling abroad for the purpose of leisure alone is selfish af.

At the start I would have agreed but not now. Life needs to restart. Experts now reckon covid had been around for over a year. It's been here and so far we have low deaths and no vaccine or immunity.

How long do we seek shelter in the bunker? I wash, I sanitise and I wear a mask when needs must.

And if they're not gone? You're just going to ignore them and potentially infect your colleagues? If that's not selfish then I don't know what is! Lol

How am I any more a risk having traveled from an unaffected area to Dublin and returned to work in an industry where I encounter hundreds daily?

Think what you want. I have done enough and I am seeing my family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Safe travels home!

Can I ask how was the airport experience today and which terminal? Should travelers allows more time than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Anyone going on a holiday outside Ireland is selfish as f*ck. What a slap in the face to our healthcare workers..

I think a lot of Karen's have panic-canceled their holidays and begrudge anyone else jetting off to the sun.

Can't wait for my upcoming trip - not long now!

How am I any more a risk having traveled from an unaffected area to Dublin and returned to work in an industry where I encounter hundreds daily?

Think what you want. I have done enough and I am seeing my family.

Hopefully you're just overtired from all of the work you've done over the last few months (boo hoo) and you're not this stupid normally.

If you do infect any of your coworkers after coming home from your holidays, at least they'll be able to trace the infection back to you fairly quickly.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Safe travels home!

Can I ask how was the airport experience today and which terminal? Should travelers allows more time than usual?

Well we are getting ready to board and so far it's been plain sailing. Everything is distance so even though theres less people, it's still a big q. Less seats, etc.

I do however see that all the people have jumped up and are now shoulder to shoulder despite distancing and already having an allocated seat. Masks pulled down to talk as well.

People won't respect the system as it stands. People didn't stay at home in April.

I'm going to pee and then wash again, put my mask on as I was drinking a coffee and sterilise my hand before boarding when the q is smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Still trying to figure out how this is, on current govt policy you will have a greater chance of getting it here than in many holiday destinations, much (I mean much) slacker controls here re masking, hygiene and distancing than Spain for example, with lots of inward travelers from countries that still have big problems (US and UK) into Ireland with little to no real restrictions (making the isolation an option was a joke).

Many on here that are choosing to proceed with a foreign holiday say they are going to honor the 14 day isolation on return - what are they doing that so offends?

Hopefully you're just overtired from all of the work you've done over the last few months (boo hoo) and you're not this stupid normally.

If you do infect any of your coworkers after coming home from your holidays, at least they'll be able to trace the infection back to you fairly quickly.

Indeed, like they could trace it while I was dealing with people in the street day in and day out.

My children, who were stuck in an apartment for 3 months are looking forward to it too.

Should they be stuck back in until you feel it's safe for you when it could be years before a vaccine? How selfish of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Well we are getting ready to board and so far it's been plain sailing. Everything is distance so even though theres less people, it's still a big q. Less seats, etc.

I do however see that all the people have jumped up and are now shoulder to shoulder despite distancing and already having an allocated seat. Masks pulled down to talk as well.

People won't respect the system as it stands. People didn't stay at home in April.

I'm going to pee and then wash again, put my mask on as I was drinking a coffee and sterilise my hand before boarding when the q is smaller.

I will never understand this, people in the queue to board a ryanair flight with nothing more than small carry on bags, why are they queueing! I bet they'll immediately stand up when the flight lands too.

I suspect getting through the airport is essentially running a gauntlet; mask on, hands in pockets as much as possible, wipe down your luggage when you collect it, disinfect hands regularly, then get out of the destination terminal as quickly as possible.

I will never understand this, people in the queue to board a ryanair flight with nothing more than small carry on bags, why are they queueing! I bet they'll immediately stand up when the flight lands too.

I suspect getting through the airport is essentially running a gauntlet; mask on, hands in pockets as much as possible, wipe down your luggage when you collect it, disinfect hands regularly, then get out of the destination terminal as quickly as possible.

Yeah, well travelling monthly, I'm pretty efficient at this stage and try to block out the Stoopid

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

Appreciate updates niner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

35 free seats on my flight on Saturday morning going by what seats I can change mine to, busy enough.

Not long now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

We already decided a few pages back that Covid discussion would be on the Covid forum. Deleted irrelevant posts. Temporary bans for going off topic from here on out.

Landed and through screening. All good on the plane

I works say about 3/4 full but bags seemed light. I had no issue walking in towards the end and still plenty of overhead room.

Middle seat was empty as well so I had a Pepsi, watched my movie and relaxed.

Seemed less selling and announcements but that night just have been my headset drowning it out.

I fly into a small airport so I'm not the gospel for how Madrid or Alicante will be but the screening for be was fine. Quick temperature check followed by a quick examine of my location form and it was just passport control as normal.

No people in arrivals. Meet them in the carpark.

All in all the only things I could spot that was a nuisance was the constant mask, sip those drinks people!

And the locator form. Download it and have it filled in. I would estimate about half the plane was scrambling on arrival. No excuse, it's been advised and e-mailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

All in all the only things I could spot that was a nuisance was the constant mask, sip those drinks people!

Thanks for the updated Niner, great to have a first hand account.

Have a brilliant time.

• Advertisement

I works say about 3/4 full but bags seemed light. I had no issue walking in towards the end and still plenty of overhead room.

Seemed less selling and announcements but that night just have been my headset drowning it out.

I fly into a small airport so I'm not the gospel for how Madrid or Alicante will be but the screening for be was fine. Quick temperature check followed by a quick examine of my location form and it was just passport control as normal.

And the locator form. Download it and have it filled in. I would estimate about half the plane was scrambling on arrival. No excuse, it's been advised and e-mailed.

Niner where is this form located? I can't see anything myself in my emails.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks for the heads up on being able to complete the locator form in advance online. Didn’t realise I could.

ASOT wrote: »
    Niner where is this form located? I can't see anything myself in my emails.

https://www.spth.gob.es/

Much appreciated

I downloaded the android app (it was only published yesterday) and completed the details for the 4 of us. The app then has a QR code for each of us that will be scanned on arrival in Spain.

I have my ryanair boarding passes on my phone too, wouldn't want to lose it.

I downloaded the android app (it was only published yesterday) and completed the details for the 4 of us. The app then has a QR code for each of us that will be scanned on arrival in Spain.

I have my ryanair boarding passes on my phone too, wouldn't want to lose it.

The link for the iOS app isn’t working. Had to fill in an online application for each person :-/

The link for the iOS app isn’t working. Had to fill in an online application for each person :-/

Yeah the link for the android one is a dead-end as well, had to search for it.

A Duplicate option would be great to save entering addresses etc but for a first release covid app it's pretty good. Little bits of spanglish here and there but nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Bit worried that Stephen Donnelly name checked Spain (along with Portugal & France) as countries that's new cases in the past 2 weeks were approx. 5,000. Now, based on a population of 50M, that's a rate of 10 new cases per 100,000, which is well within the accepted EU levels for countries on a green list. Like everything, figures are relative but of course the headline will be 5,000 new cases. However the Canaries & Balearics, which are the most popular destinations for the Irish are relatively unscathed right now with far more stringent precautions in place than Ireland both on arrival and while there. Unfortunately the Canaries & Balearics probably have to fall under Spain when it comes to green lists. Hope I'm wrong but wouldn't be overly confident of Spain being in the initial green list. In our case, we're heading to Lanzarote on Sunday, have done our own risk assessments in terms of travel (planes are safer than buses/trains), hire car (no public transport), private house, no shared pool, eat-in and takeaways and will only eat in quiet restaurants. We will wear masks as required, wash hands etc. Our conscience is clear. But the 14 day quarantine on return is the big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pinklady09

Bit worried that Stephen Donnelly name checked Spain (along with Portugal & France) as countries that's new cases in the past 2 weeks were approx. 5,000. Now, based on a population of 50M, that's a rate of 10 new cases per 100,000, which is well within the accepted EU levels for countries on a green list. Like everything, figures are relative but of course the headline will be 5,000 new cases. However the Canaries & Balearics, which are the most popular destinations for the Irish are relatively unscathed right now with far more stringent precautions in place than Ireland both on arrival and while there. Unfortunately the Canaries & Balearics probably have to fall under Spain when it comes to green lists. Hope I'm wrong but wouldn't be overly confident of Spain being in the initial green list. In our case, we're heading to Lanzarote on Sunday, have done our own risk assessments in terms of travel (planes are safer than buses/trains), hire car (no public transport), private house, no shared pool, eat-in and takeaways and will only eat in quiet restaurants. We will wear masks as required, wash hands etc. Our conscience is clear. But the 14 day quarantine on return is the big problem.

I’m the same as you, heading to our own apartment in Alicante tomorrow and planning all the same precautions as you mentioned! But I’m really stressing about Spain getting on the green list. If it doesn’t I might have to try come home earlier to quarantine so I can get back to work sooner, husband and kids not happy at that suggestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The UK are set to announce a list of countries that will be quarantine free- we will have no choice but to follow them. We are either following the EU opening or the UK opening, we cannot hide away and isolate ourselves further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement