Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

No inter county travel before July according to Daniel O Connell of the Irish Examiner. No looking good for those that want a staycation.

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

No inter county travel before July according to Daniel O Connell of the Irish Examiner. No looking good for those that want a staycation.

I hope its a political spin where they say July, we get pissed off and then surprise us that it is actually June so us minions are happy despite the bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What's the story with booking self catering accommodation within your own county from April 12th?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭combat14

Cape Clear wrote: »
    What's the story with booking self catering accommodation within your own county from April 12th?

doesnt look like hotels opening till june at the earliest and even then maybe only for a bed to lie in

reopening all the schools in one bang on the 12 april is the priority now even though most work could be done online, let numbers fall further and give us real chance of summer

at this stage even july could be doubtful :(

combat14 wrote: »
    doesnt look like hotels opening till june at the earliest and even then maybe only for a bed to lie in

reopening all the schools in one bang on the 12 april is the priority now even though most work could be done online, let numbers fall further and give us real chance of summer

at this stage even july could be doubtful :(

Definitely not going to fall with the schools fully opened.
    Might as well write off until August

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Definitely not going to fall with the schools fully opened.
    Might as well write off until August

even then who knows as they will want to gaurantee schools reopen in september too .. will be a very short season by the looks of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hotels are open now, restaurant and bar facilities are fairly limited though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

bladespin wrote: »
    Hotels are open now, restaurant and bar facilities are fairly limited though.

Is that their 12 night stay offer, including room service for €1850?

josip wrote: »

Nope, I've offers of around €100 per night B&B sat the moment, that will probably go up as we get to the better weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Patser

josip wrote: »

If only that was all inclusive, we'd all be flying out and back in:D

12 days away from family , 'So sorry love, home next week. Terrible in here, nothing to day but watch Netflix and have Heineken delivered to door. Terrrible....'

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    If only that was all inclusive, we'd all be flying out and back in:D

12 days away from family , 'So sorry love, home next week. Terrible in here, nothing to day but watch Netflix and have Heineken delivered to door. Terrrible....'

I thought it was - well meals anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Why, if you’ve booked after July?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭wandererz

Connacht Tribune: Connemara braced for invasion of staycationers.

https://connachttribune.ie/connemara-braced-for-invasion-of-staycationers-327/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

We have a week self catering booked for mid-May in Kerry. Pretty sure we can kiss it goodbye at this stage which is a real disappointment. I can appreciate that hotels/bars/restaurants should remain closed (and I wouldn't go near them myself...). However its difficult to understand keeping self catering closed if inter-county travel is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Have a 2 night hotel stay booked in Wexford in mid June and a week in a couple of spots in the west from end of June into July. Really hoping this talk of no inter county travel until July is political spin as suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

We have a week self catering booked for mid-May in Kerry. Pretty sure we can kiss it goodbye at this stage which is a real disappointment. I can appreciate that hotels/bars/restaurants should remain closed (and I wouldn't go near them myself...). However its difficult to understand keeping self catering closed if inter-county travel is allowed.
    I'm in the same boat. Self catering booked for may. I'd happily enjoy take away and eat in if allowed travel inter county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Patser

I can't see them opening hotels in June (if things go to plan) but not lifting inter County travel - it'd be laughed out if town. Even now you can cross County borders by 20km if needed, which makes Garda checkpoints almost impossible to maintain.

But until things open up there's little point travelling- and all eyes are now on vaccination numbers. For months they've been saying things will ramp up in April, so get us up to near a 1 million people fully vaccinated by early May, another wedge on or getting 1st vaccinations - UK experience shows this leads to a dramatic drop in infections and hospitalisation - and by then the pressure to open things up in June grows.

As depressing as it is the Govt are being a bit smart on this, they are not setting dates or levels because they know that'll come back to haunt them. Look at the UK again, everyone was promised normality by June, booked foreign holidays and now the Govt are trying to row back

My May reservation was cancelled by the hotel, still holding out hope for my June reservation!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Does it count as a staycation if you head to The North? Are they not opening up in June?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Booked a week in a holiday rental in Kerry for the end of July so I reckon we're safe. It just depends now if the pubs and restaurants get to open or else there be more self catering than I would hope for 😜

• Advertisement

Does it count as a staycation if you head to The North? Are they not opening up in June?

inter county not till july?

was thinking of going north... but not sure if they will still be hijacking and burning cars by then .. july not a great month so hopefully august will be good time to go north...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I can see intercounty being allowed from 23rd/24th May. 6 weeks from Mondays restrictions being lifted. We are going to be in such a different place in 4 weeks time I find it hard to believe they can keep it going any longer.

Have a self catering break booked for 26th but as it is linked with a hotel my optimism is waning I'll be able to go.

I can see intercounty being allowed from 23rd/24th May. 6 weeks from Mondays restrictions being lifted. We are going to be in such a different place in 4 weeks time I find it hard to believe they can keep it going any longer.

Have a self catering break booked for 26th but as it is linked with a hotel my optimism is waning I'll be able to go.

Inter county travel and hotels/hospitality are interdependent more so given the expanding quarantine list. Iirc both opened up simultaneously last year. What penalties would a hotel face if any for operating self catering accommodation at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Inter county travel and hotels/hospitality are interdependent more so given the expanding quarantine list. Iirc both opened up simultaneously last year. What penalties would a hotel face if any for operating self catering accommodation at present?

None I guess. However it doesn't make sense for them to open at present for self catering. It will be interesting to see if inter county is lifted prior to hospitality will hotels bother with their self catering options. Hopefully with a reduced price due to all facilities not being open.

None I guess. However it doesn't make sense for them to open at present for self catering. It will be interesting to see if inter county is lifted prior to hospitality will hotels bother with their self catering options. Hopefully with a reduced price due to all facilities not being open.

We cancelled a centerparcs booking we had last year. They gave no discount, given the hugely reduced service you would have had. 2 visits to the pool for a couple of hours over 3 days. Takeaway food only. And they would not reduce the price. Theyve actually increased their prices for bookings next year. It was already expensive.

Decided not to chance a hotels for this summer and did a house swap with a friend the other side of the country for July.
    We dont really care if there are travel restrictions in the summer, we are going anyway. Too much is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

inter county not till july?

was thinking of going north... but not sure if they will still be hijacking and burning cars by then .. july not a great month so hopefully august will be good time to go north...
    I have Belfast booked for 11th June, train up and down for my husband's birthday. Hopefully inter county travel restriction gone by then, if not I made sure to book hotel (was really reasonable) and train I can get refund on. Likely that shops and indoor dining will be allowed in NI a good bit before then.
    I think the stuff in Belfast is rather overstated....it is literally at a "peace wall" and that is it, it's not as if the whole place is on fire lol

gmisk wrote: »
    I have Belfast booked for 11th June, train up and down for my husband's birthday. Hopefully inter county travel restriction gone by then, if not I made sure to book hotel (was really reasonable) and train I can get refund on. Likely that shops and indoor dining will be allowed in NI a good bit before then.
    I think the stuff in Belfast is rather overstated....it is literally at a "peace wall" and that is it, it's not as if the whole place is on fire lol

Will you have to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel when you get off the train back in connoly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Will you have to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel when you get off the train back in connoly :)
    Ha ha I am not sure how they would manage that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We cancelled a centerparcs booking we had last year. They gave no discount, given the hugely reduced service you would have had. 2 visits to the pool for a couple of hours over 3 days. Takeaway food only. And they would not reduce the price. Theyve actually increased their prices for bookings next year. It was already expensive.

Decided not to chance a hotels for this summer and did a house swap with a friend the other side of the country for July.
    We dont really care if there are travel restrictions in the summer, we are going anyway. Too much is too much.

How Centerparc get away with charging so much for a reduced service and limited swimming pool slots is beyond me.

If only people refused to book whilst this nonsense happens.

• Advertisement

How Centerparc get away with charging so much for a reduced service and limited swimming pool slots is beyond me.

If only people refused to book whilst this nonsense happens.

I wouldn't just limit the question to Centerparc's! Any one staying at a hotel this year or last probably paid above the odds for reduced service offerings.

Advertisement