Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

combat14 wrote: »
    indo article on staycations today:

Asked if hotels will hike their prices, he said: "No. People are booking longer stays and we don't want to kill the golden goose, so our rates are staying between €650 and €950 for a suite."

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/staycations/holidaymakers-splashing-out-on-five-star-experience-here-40114171.html

In fairness that's 5 star prices and "suites" - most 5 star hotels in Ireland are top-notch - Summer prices have always been huge in Irish 5 star hotels as their main markets are America and Europe, not Ireland.

People have saved a lot of money (assuming they're still working) and haven't gone anywhere in a while so they just want a really comfortable hassle-free experience now so it's no surprise these hotels are in demand. I would never have thought of staying in an Irish hotel mid-summer before as they were always too expensive for what they were- always went the house rental route instead if staycationing but willing to suck it up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭combat14

In fairness that's 5 star prices and "suites" - most 5 star hotels in Ireland are top-notch - Summer prices have always been huge in Irish 5 star hotels as their main markets are America and Europe, not Ireland.

People have saved a lot of money (assuming they're still working) and haven't gone anywhere in a while so they just want a really comfortable hassle-free experience now so it's no surprise these hotels are in demand. I would never have thought of staying in an Irish hotel mid-summer before as they were always too expensive for what they were- always went the house rental route instead if staycationing but willing to suck it up this year.

yes american and european market completely gone this year .. hotels relying on wealthy irish / those who have saved all year to splash the cash to keep them going which is fair enough

combat14 wrote: »
    yes american and european market completely gone this year .. hotels relying on wealthy irish / those who have saved all year to splash the cash to keep them going which is fair enough

We (assuming you're not a millionaire :P) can look on with jealousy and all but in fairness if i had the money to spare, 1 week in the likes of Dromoland or Ashford would be mighty.
    I stayed in both about 20 years ago when they were doing ridiculously cheap deals over the winter time and they're amazing places but I'd probably chose the sheen-falls or one of the more modern 5 stars in Killarney or Kenmare now and ensure I got out-door hot tubs, balconies to watch the sunset etc etc

there's plenty of decent enough value to be had for August right now in many 3 and 4 star hotels but people better hurry and book because they won't be there for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭fits

I booked a weekend in a 5 star in Dublin for July. No deposit and free cancellation until day before
    May not end up going but it’s nice to dream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Ye may all hope our government grows a pair of balls if we want any summer here. Practically every case in the country is the "UK Variant". For my money we'll be quite alright if we get this under control and ban all visitors from that pariah state due East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Provisionally booked a week in mid-July in the hope of some sense of normality resuming by then

Found the three days in a hotel pretty limiting last summer with nothing available after 6pm in the hotel or locally unless you count SuperValu :rolleyes:

Complicated last year, and this, by our eldest being an adult

One week B&B in a self catering suite - bedroom, kitchenette, dining area, private furnished patio, wifi & Netflix & hopefully access to hotel leisure suite & pool - for just under €1k

If, and it's a big IF, we get some decent weatehr it'll be like a studio apartment on the Med :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 quirkyindie

Booked a midweek deal in July for myself and my partner. We're treating ourselves to a luxury hotel that we couldn't normally afford. Personally I'm still too nervous to think of travelling abroad. Great deals on bargainbreaks.ie, €65 a night with B&B plus dinner in Shearwater hotel in Galway! Really looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Booked a midweek deal in July for myself and my partner. We're treating ourselves to a luxury hotel that we couldn't normally afford. Personally I'm still too nervous to think of travelling abroad. Great deals on bargainbreaks.ie, €65 a night with B&B plus dinner in Shearwater hotel in Galway! Really looking forward to it :)

"Ballinasloe" Co.Galway 30 mins drive by tolled motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Minier81

Be brutally honest, does anyone think my self catering holiday in May is likely to happen or will inter county travel be allowed then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭appledrop

Minier81 wrote: »
    Be brutally honest, does anyone think my self catering holiday in May is likely to happen or will inter county travel be allowed then?

Not a hope. If we are 'lucky' the way the government are talking we might be able to meet outdoors and have food outdoors by April/ May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So we had a family break booked for after Easter and got a good deal .. cancelled and asked hotel if they would keep the price for us and was told to ring when rebooking.
    Rang today in the hope of booking for end of May .. price had gone up by €400 . This is going to be a huge problem now with hotels trying to recoup lost income.
    Looking it book a break for the family July or August and some prices are eye watering, nearly double the cost of a similar weeks stay in Spain .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Leo suggested today the 5k is gone in April and possibly further restrictions lifted in May. I'd hope they scrap the inter country thing along with the 5k, I'd be optimistic if it's after the bank holiday weekend.

Leo suggested today the 5k is gone in April and possibly further restrictions lifted in May. I'd hope they scrap the inter country thing along with the 5k, I'd be optimistic if it's after the bank holiday weekend.

It is after the bank holiday. I'll hope against hope!!

Brutally honest? No.

Would i put money on it? No.

Sorry:o

I'll actually go as far to say that it's quite possible we'll still be at level 3 (inter-county lockdown) into early June for the bank holiday weekend. I'd say it will be mid-June before the traps open for inter-county travel.

I don't know what county you're in but if there's any sort of decent area within your own county to holiday in, then try and make a provisional booking for there as well.

I don't know what county you're in but if there's any sort of decent area within your own county to holiday in, then try and make a provisional booking for there as well.

Dublin :-(
    But maybe I'll look into that actually..... swap a one week holiday in for a few days in a different part of the city and hopefully a country holiday later on!!

Northern Irelands blueprint was delayed until tomorrow but the soundings suggest hospitality open in May and all restrictions lifted in June. If we can't even cross the county border in may there will be uproar.
    Tomorrow could put a lot of pressure on our guys to come up with a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Dublin :-(
    But maybe I'll look into that actually..... swap a one week holiday in for a few days in a different part of the city and hopefully a country holiday later on!!

Unlike Dublin Cork is big enough that you could get well away and still be in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭appledrop

We stayed in hotel in own county for 1 night when last lockdown was lifted as we had missed out on a significant birthday and couldn't go away as planned.

Had an absolute ball, wined and dined and I might do it again depending on how long these latest restrictions go on for.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Unlike Dublin Cork is big enough that you could get well away and still be in it!

Cork is where my break is meant to be!!! Ah well, hopefully we can go later if not in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭votecounts

saabsaab wrote: »
    Agreed, there's loads of places to holiday in cork even if you're from there, Garryvoe,Shanagarry, fota, Trabolgan, Kinsale,etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I can’t see us being able to take holidays in may.
    However if the cancellation policy was good it’s worth booking something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

jrosen wrote: »
    I can’t see us being able to take holidays in may.
    However if the cancellation policy was good it’s worth booking something.

Cancellation is flexible in most cases. I wouldn't be despairing about prices and availability yet as many people may have booked multiple breaks safe in the knowledge that they can cancel. I'd expect roughly the same dates as last year regarding inter county travel if not opening up after the June bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

appledrop wrote: »
    We stayed in hotel in own county for 1 night when last lockdown was lifted as we had missed out on a significant birthday and couldn't go away as planned.

Had an absolute ball, wined and dined and I might do it again depending on how long these latest restrictions go on for.

We're thinking of doing something similar, one of us has a significant birthday in September so thinking restrictions will only be somewhat relaxed by then so possibly we'll be able to go to a hotel within our own county by then (Limerick)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

3 days in Kerry booked in May with 2 friends and the 3 of us have decided we'll be going regardless of restrictions being lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

GoneHome wrote: »
    We're thinking of doing something similar, one of us has a significant birthday in September so thinking restrictions will only be somewhat relaxed by then so possibly we'll be able to go to a hotel within our own county by then (Limerick)

That's a depressing thought.

Mecrab wrote: »
    3 days in Kerry booked in May with 2 friends and the 3 of us have decided we'll be going regardless of restrictions being lifted

Very doubtful hotels will be open by May, I would thinking it will be August/September at the earliest, of course it could be an Air BnB you have booked so could possibly get away with that if it's within your own county.

Very doubtful hotels will be open by May, I would thinking it will be August/September at the earliest, of course it could be an Air BnB you have booked so could possibly get away with that if it's within your own county.

All restrictions are meant to be lifted on the 21st of June in Northern Ireland.
    The government will be under huge pressure or a lot of people will just pay the €100 holiday tax and head north. There's no way they'll be closed until August/September here. I'd nearly lay money hotels will be open by the 6/7th of May or earlier.

All restrictions are meant to be lifted on the 21st of June in Northern Ireland.
    The government will be under huge pressure or a lot of people will just pay the €100 holiday tax and head north. There's no way they'll be closed until August/September here. I'd nearly lay money hotels will be open by the 6/7th of May or earlier.

Not a chance will they be open by 6th May, even Michael Martin and Leo have said it will be mid-Summer at the earliest so I would be thinking August really at the earliest but more realistically it'll be September.

Seriously not open until September when the schools are going back, can't see them keeping the lockdown over summer people won't accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not a chance will they be open by 6th May, even Michael Martin and Leo have said it will be mid-Summer at the earliest so I would be thinking August really at the earliest but more realistically it'll be September.

Hotels will be open for the 1st of June, that's usually the middle of our 'summer'.

Advertisement