Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Any other suggestions folks no availability on aran islands glamping site

I don't know would this place suit you. It's in my area.
    https://purecamping.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Such a shame that David McGowan never managed to get his glamping site in Enniscrone up and running - he'd clean up in the current climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Such a shame that David McGowan never managed to get his glamping site in Enniscrone up and running - he'd clean up in the current climate!

Well, he was good at self promotion anyway. Not so good at actually planning something that was viable

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well, he was good at self promotion anyway. Not so good at actually planning something that was viable
    Gotta love a dreamer!

Who actually took action on said dreams. I'd like to think it was just timing that did for him

He might come good yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Does he still have that airplane on the site? Whatever happened that it didnt get going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Ssssh your spoiling the group think as promoted by our government betters that Ireland is just as good and only twice as expensive as those high faluting places beyond in the continent. Just shut up and pay your money and support your local FFG donor, I mean hotelier.
    I have had plenty of great holidays in Ireland.
    Granted going abroad can be nice, but 1000s just go to some resort in Spain to spend all day lying on a beach. That would be no holiday for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does he still have that airplane on the site? Whatever happened that it didnt get going?

Is this the happy under taker?

Struck me more as a vanity project than a viable business proposition. I mentioned it to the guy running the Cape Clear Glamping site at the time and he didn't think it added up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have a heap of One4All vouchers to use.
    Probably enough for 2 week in a hotel at Irish summer prices.
    Yet, very few hotels seem to take them.
    AirBnB dont take them.
    I cant even use them on Amazon anymore.
    Is there anywhere I can use them?
    Dont say centerparcs. :) Been there and my wallet may never recover. The prce / experience factor is heavily weighted to the price side.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I have a heap of One4All vouchers to use.
    Probably enough for 2 week in a hotel at Irish summer prices.
    Yet, very few hotels seem to take them.
    AirBnB dont take them.
    I cant even use them on Amazon anymore.
    Is there anywhere I can use them?
    Dont say centerparcs. :) Been there and my wallet may never recover. The prce / experience factor is heavily weighted to the price side.

The quality hotel in Youghal used to take them. Dreamireland.com self catering site do still I believe.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Is this the happy under taker?

Struck me more as a vanity project than a viable business proposition. I mentioned it to the guy running the Cape Clear Glamping site at the time and he didn't think it added up either.

It was a way to use some money the tax man probably didn't know about

• Advertisement

It was a way to use some money the tax man probably didn't know about

No idea if this was the case or not.

Did the place ever open?

I stayed in Corcreggan Mill Dunfanaghy about 10 years ago or so when it was under different owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Judging by reports, no one will be allowed to staycation until at least may, you june will be ruled out also. Make sure you have a free cancellation booking

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Minier81

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Judging by reports, no one will be allowed to staycation until at least may, you june will be ruled out also. Make sure you have a free cancellation booking

Hope my Munster may holiday happens. Haven't paid a penny but really looking forward to the break. Wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wandererz

Mother cracker!

Irish Examiner: Donnelly: 'Too early to advise' if staycations will be allowed this summer.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40229837.html

No need to for the racist comments either Mr Donnelly:

"Mr Donnelly said the vaccine offers "more than a chink of light" ."

UDAWINNER wrote: »

It could be June 29th or so again before people can move freely from county to county. The leaving cert could also be a factor in how quickly restrictions are eased.

It could be June 29th or so again before people can move freely from county to county. The leaving cert could also be a factor in how quickly restrictions are eased.

Same as last year so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭combat14

yes really hoping reopening all the schools in march doesnt mean we are trapped in own counties all summer now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, I dunno about everyone else, but how can anyone plan and book a domestic holiday this year?
    No idea when the 5k limit will be lifted, will it move to a 20k limit or a no travel outside your county... Will NPHET want people moving around the country before October when a critical mass of people have been jabbed?
    Even if restrictions are lifted in June or July, how many businesses will be able to gear up and open within a month....Can the domestic tourism industry restart like a light switch?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0220/1198280-taoiseach-restrictions/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Muahahaha wrote: »

It's still sitting there, doing nothing, becoming an eyesore. It's a pity, because I was there when it came off the barge and that was a fantastic night

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's still sitting there, doing nothing, becoming an eyesore. It's a pity, because I was there when it came off the barge and that was a fantastic night

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Quirky+Nights+Glamping+Village/@54.2089558,-9.0973938,600m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4859316577332497:0xb7478946c4da2576!8m2!3d54.2089684!4d-9.096514

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well, I dunno about everyone else, but how can anyone plan and book a domestic holiday this year?
    No idea when the 5k limit will be lifted, will it move to a 20k limit or a no travel outside your county... Will NPHET want people moving around the country before October when a critical mass of people have been jabbed?
    Even if restrictions are lifted in June or July, how many businesses will be able to gear up and open within a month....Can the domestic tourism industry restart like a light switch?

The communication from Me Hole and Co is confusing. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. However that's for another post.

Comparing it to last years stay cation I understand that new variants have come but so has vaccination.

I have places booked in June, July and August and hopefully get to 2 if not 3

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Comparing it to last years stay cation I understand that new variants have come but so has vaccination.

Listening to sky news this morning there's a new variant of the uk variant and they've conducting trials to see will the vaccine work on it.
    Vaccinations aren't a way out this and at this point I wished they were at lest 5 years off as we expected at the beginning.

The number 1 priority should be reducing hospitalisations but we're not even trying, isolate and if you get sick enough off to hospital with you. That is no way to manage this problem.

I nearly burst when I read the headline in the independent this morning, 5k until may how can you believe any word they say at this stage. April is one of my favorite months it can have lovely weather I was really looking forward to a bit of normality and the seaside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

No consideration being given to open hospitality before mid summer according to MM.

Keep that in mind if your booking a holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is he on the same planet as the rest of us. Some hotels are open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

We’ve made a few enquiries and a lot of places are looking for fairly significant deposits with (at best) vague terms on refunds due to Covid restrictions still being in place. Frankly a bit greedy from an industry looking for tax-payers support...

had not factored the LC, jesus could be a long time to go anywhere and then august, gotta get cases low so schools can go back
    Gonna be a long year

supposed to be for essential workers only and definitely not for tourism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭combat14

indo article on staycations today:

Asked if hotels will hike their prices, he said: "No. People are booking longer stays and we don't want to kill the golden goose, so our rates are staying between €650 and €950 for a suite."

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/staycations/holidaymakers-splashing-out-on-five-star-experience-here-40114171.html

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I've picked a week in August and booked a hotel for a week- expensive but i have a lot of vouchers so won't cost more than a few hundred - cancellation is something like 3 days in advance or less so no money at risk right now. I know people who booked holiday homes for June back in November. Looks like we might well be only at level 3 even at that late stage which is so unfortunate.

Even last August we had county lockdowns- Kildare, Offaly and Laois- hopefully that won't happen this year but no guarantees - best try and book "something" and see how it goes but certainly mid-July to September are probably the best months to book given what's being said by the government currently.

I booked a hotel over a rental accommodation simply because cancellation policies are far more COVID-friendly for hotels- you may end up forgoing deposits for house rentals or at the very least be refunded a "voucher" minus admin costs so I'm just steering clear of all that hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hotels at the moment aren’t particularly nice places to spend time, they’re doing their best but are severely limited, if you need to stay over somewhere then it’s a place to put your head down but that’s pretty much it.

Advertisement