Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

Mecrab wrote: »
    3 days in Kerry booked in May with 2 friends and the 3 of us have decided we'll be going regardless of restrictions being lifted

I have 3 nights booked in May for Clare. Doubtful we will be going cos the hotel probably won't be open. So we booked for June as well, more expensive of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭saabsaab

2,000,000+ vaccinations by the start of June should give some leeway for holidays at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

saabsaab wrote: »
    2,000,000+ vaccinations by the start of June should give some leeway for holidays at home.

They are already a week behind on the over 85's , astra cant be counted on , moderna also , the great white hope j&j , well i remember when astra was the game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

They are already a week behind on the over 85's , astra cant be counted on , moderna also , the great white hope j&j , well i remember when astra was the game changer.

And that's not even taking into account the new variants that arriving every month literally, so at best all we can hope for is the country opening up by September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Once the vulnerable and over 60s are vaccinated, hospitalisations are way down and new case numbers come down they can start open things up.

A bit of good weather with people outside more will help a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wandererz

Once the vulnerable and over 60s are vaccinated, hospitalisations are way down and new case numbers come down they can start open things up.

A bit of good weather with people outside more will help a lot

Did you see the list???
    It has about 14 flippin groups!

I believe that most people on here are in group 14.

That may as well be next year.

I believed in good weather last year as well.
    Then I saw the hoards at Powerscourt and other places.

At least 3000+ cars.. Unbelievable.

Now we cannot get our daily numbers down enough during this round.

500+ per day??

Less than that in a few months?
    Ridiculonkous!

People are too self centered for that crop.

Its best not to get worked up about it

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

wandererz wrote: »
    Did you see the list???
    It has about 14 flippin groups!

I believe that most people on here are in group 14.

That may as well be next year.

I believed in good weather last year as well.
    Then I saw the hoards at Powerscourt and other places.

At least 3000+ cars.. Unbelievable.

Now we cannot get our daily numbers down enough during this round.

500+ per day??

Less than that in a few months?
    Ridiculonkous!

People are too self centered for that crop.

i don't think any of the group 14 will see any vaccine this year, time it comes around will have to re vaccinate the same lot again.
    All that bunch will get is the bill :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

wandererz wrote: »
    500+ per day??

We don't have 500+ cases per day, NPHET are now reporting historical cases of outbreaks in the daily number as they've time to catch up on them. Glynn said it yesterday.

We could have had no cases yesterday, we just don't know when the numbers reported daily aren't any reflection on the actual daily cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

GoneHome wrote: »
    Not a chance will they be open by 6th May, even Michael Martin and Leo have said it will be mid-Summer at the earliest so I would be thinking August really at the earliest but more realistically it'll be September.

They'll be open by June. I would take anything that Michael and Leo say with a shovel of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

How is anyone supposed to plan and book a homestay holiday?
    I know the likes of Parknasilla is booked out for the whole summer.
    Do these people know something I do not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just book for end of august start of September and make sure you can get your deposit back if restrictions don’t allow.

I wonder if they just vaccinate everyone in some holiday destinations now or in the next group. Say all Achill, Connemara or Killarney could be a selling point and not too hard as the population is low in such places. Could open up by April/May?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

saabsaab wrote: »
    I wonder if they just vaccinate everyone in some holiday destinations now or in the next group. Say all Achill, Connemara or Killarney could be a selling point and not too hard as the population is low in such places. Could open up by April/May?

Easier to depopulate west of the shannon, we could put them all on the Arran Islands In holding pens. Then fly in Eastern Europeans etc. to staff the resorts and the west would be open for holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

No. People are fed up and are hoping for the best but watching the news this evening and more talk of vaccine delays some might be disappointed. We've just decided to forget about a holiday this year. It's easier than wondering!

Easier to depopulate west of the shannon, we could put them all on the Arran Islands In holding pens. Then fly in Eastern Europeans etc. to staff the resorts and the west would be open for holidays

Mr Cromwell?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The new Royal Canal Greenway that opened the other day. looks interesting. Might give it a go.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0324/1205768-greenway-royal-canal/

bubblypop wrote: »
    I have 3 nights booked in May for Clare. Doubtful we will be going cos the hotel probably won't be open. So we booked for June as well, more expensive of course.

Sorry- I wouldn’t be putting money on inter county travel in place by June- maybe late June - I’d recommend a late July /August provisional booking also as long as you can go then and costs you nothing to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Sure you can book any hotel in the north and you’ll be up there in June / July. Nothing stopping you. Hasn’t been a checkpoint by psni at any point on border

Galgorm taking bookings at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

finbarrk wrote: »
    The new Royal Canal Greenway that opened the other day. looks interesting. Might give it a go.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0324/1205768-greenway-royal-canal/

It’s a great day out, I’d recommend it

• Advertisement

It’s a great day out, I’d recommend it

Well I'd be thinking of taking 2 days to do it. Maybe stay in Mullingar. Go to Longford the first day and get the train back and to Maynooth the second day and train back again perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

two days to walk 130km? jaysus you must have fierce long legs!

finbarrk wrote: »
    Well I'd be thinking of taking 2 days to do it. Maybe stay in Mullingar. Go to Longford the first day and get the train back and to Maynooth the second day and train back again perhaps.

duffysfarm wrote: »

I'd say they meant cycle

duffysfarm wrote: »

No. I intend to bring a bicycle. Or maybe hire one for the couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 aismac

I just wanted to say that's it's not too late to book something, but maybe consider looking beyond the typical coastal communities. I just relisted my 3 bed cottage in the midlands - has a 5* rating, an acre of private land, surrounded by trees. Has been popular before but I thought inquiries would come in thick and fast and they haven't been! I know some are being cautious but others not.

Keep checking anyway - I was slow relisting as I need to sort out a bed down there and had hoped to get it down before putting it back up on Airbnb. As it is I had to go ahead (but will get it sorted but will be happier when it's done). I can't wait to get back to it and away from the crowded parks in Dublin where you're literally jostling for space on the footpaths sometimes.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

All this staycation talk, just for clarity, the offer of a staycation is simply "see the outdoors", "go walking", see the hills and the ocean etc... that's it isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

All this staycation talk, just for clarity, the offer of a staycation is simply "see the outdoors", "go walking", see the hills and the ocean etc... that's it isnt it?

Well there won't be anything open so what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sounds pretty much like most holidays I've been on anyway!

Except there would usually be the reward of a pint or two afterwards, hopefully we'll be able to have them outdoors at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No inter county travel before July according to Daniel O Connell of the Irish Examiner. No looking good for those that want a staycation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Minier81

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sounds pretty much like most holidays I've been on anyway!

Except there would usually be the reward of a pint or two afterwards, hopefully we'll be able to have them outdoors at least.

My thoughts exactly!! Dream holiday. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Advertisement