Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

School choir is extra curricular and yeah I can see that not happening but School show is built into the TY timetable now. Current plan in my head is to flip the year and do all the intro to LC music, music technology etc first and assume show will be later.

It’s the same in our school and I just can’t see it going ahead at all the next school year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Singing is such high risk I don't see how choirs or shows can go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    SPHE is a subject in school and has been under attack from right wing nuts since its introduction. It is currently under sustained attack from zealots.

Really was unaware . I stayed clear of SPHE because it came across as social engineering and usually timetabled once a week so hard to get a relationship with the kids. Anyway given current trends where we are expected to raise kids for their parents and undo all the ills of society i'd say it will be here for a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

School choir is extra curricular and yeah I can see that not happening but School show is built into the TY timetable now. Current plan in my head is to flip the year and do all the intro to LC music, music technology etc first and assume show will be later.

Have u joined the " Music Educators - Looking Ahead " Facebook forum? It's mostly from the states, but they are hosting discussions on how to use a blended learning approach for choir and musicals using IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

.I presume there's recordings for the zoom conferences which have passed.

But yes I'd concur with the other poster that it'll be left to you to decide so don't bother waiting for guidelines. If anything, if you have a proposal for management it might be better than their solution of having everyone sitting 2m apart "studying".

519776.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Rosita

[QUOTE=Bobtheman;114019292 Abortion is now available. Unlike many other health services.
    . The 8th amendment is gone but some people are on a permanent victory lap. )[/QUOTE]

It's like any revolution - it comes in and change happens but there will be people who'll take it to the grave and see a conspiracy in every syllable uttered by some. You might as well ask Eoghan Harris his favourite colour and expect not to hear a rant about Sinn Féin. The war still goes on for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If only people were as willing to fulminate against housing and health as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Abortion is now available. Unlike many other health services.
    . The 8th amendment is gone but some people are on a permanent victory lap. Not saying you are but that's the vibe I get.(In general)

The legislation is up for review and the Minister for Education, of the ruling party, is against abortion and has indicated that she will move to legislate in that manner. It was the only take away from that interview. It's important that the girls I teach have not only access to the appropriate healthcare now and in the future, but that they are given a proper education regarding it. That is our responsibility collectively as educators.
    Bobtheman wrote: »
    If only people were as willing to fulminate against housing and health as much.

Abortion is a health issue.
    Mardy Bum wrote: »
    She is a councillor since 1991. She must have a real drive for public service and a great sense of duty to her community. It is nothing to do with her being a member of a political dynasty.

I never said anything about a dynasty. For someone who has been a politician for nearly 30 years that interview was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I never said anything about a dynasty. For someone who has been a politician for nearly 30 years that interview was bad.

I was being sarcastic. I agree with you.

Abortion is a health issue.

This is a a fairly disingenuous and reductive comment in the context of the point you were replying to which was an obvious reference to under-resourcing of health services and the relative lack of movements to force the government to address it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Feeling a lot more negative about the return this morning now. I think I’m going to start prepping my classes/videos for online work. If we are postponing pubs at these levels and making masks mandatory I’m expecting issues opening and keeping post primary open full time.

I just hope my childminder can stay open if things go belly up as I can’t face teaching online and minding/teaching my own kids again, it nearly broke me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Feeling a lot more negative about the return this morning now. I think I’m going to start prepping my classes/videos for online work. If we are postponing pubs at these levels and making masks mandatory I’m expecting issues opening and keeping post primary open full time.

I just hope my childminder can stay open if things go belly up as I can’t face teaching online and minding/teaching my own kids again, it nearly broke me

Gosh I don’t know if I would bother at all mirrorwall. I have been into my school probably once a week over the last few weeks.
    I really feel that teachers will be back in the classroom full time.
    I can’t see all students being back at the same time if social distancing is still in place.

Millem wrote: »
    Gosh I don’t know if I would bother at all mirrorwall. I have been into my school probably once a week over the last few weeks.
    I can’t see all students being back at the same time if social distancing is still in place.

Teachers might be and I’ve moved from creche because of that for fear of childcare issues with illness or school closure for my afterschool child but I do think we may have part groups for secondary school, at least initially. I figure if I do up video lessons for the first couple of chapters of maths then at least I have them to fall back on and they’re a handy resource for students going forward anyways I guess.

I figure it might actually help me with the feeling of helplessness right now. So many unknowns but at least fractions haven’t changed through the generations although the teaching of them might have!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Teachers might be and I’ve moved from creche because of that for fear of childcare issues with illness or school closure for my afterschool child but I do think we may have part groups for secondary school, at least initially. I figure if I do up video lessons for the first couple of chapters of maths then at least I have them to fall back on and they’re a handy resource for students going forward anyways I guess.

I figure it might actually help me with the feeling of helplessness right now. So many unknowns but at least fractions haven’t changed through the generations although the teaching of them might have!

What we did during lockdown was divide up the work as a department. So say I looked after 3rd years etc. It meant that all the groups used the same resources. No point in 3 teachers spending up to 3 hours each recording the same lesson!!!

I am sure there will be lots of teachers in the “at risk group”. I presume they will be working online. They should be the ones organising the online work so teachers in the classroom are not double jobbing.
    If the students are not back full time my principal was looking at recording our live classes. I don’t know if it’s a runner with students and privacy etc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Millem wrote: »

I think this is a very important point: if only for optics (and we have seen how important those are recently) We've been told that we are expected to be in the school building everyday unless displaying symptoms and whatever form of teaching we do will be carried out in/from the classroom. Looks like the onus will shift to parents to either bring the kids in or leave them at home.

scrubs33 wrote: »
    I think this is a very important point: if only for optics (and we have seen how important those are recently) We've been told that we are expected to be in the school building everyday unless displaying symptoms and whatever form of teaching we do will be carried out in/from the classroom. Looks like the onus will shift to parents to either bring the kids in or leave them at home.

And on the teacher to also home school those that do

km79 wrote: »
    And on the teacher to also home school those that do

Absolutely. Mind you looking at this article the push for full reopening seems to be getting stronger but the absence of a plan does concern me
    https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0716/1153662-schools-reopening/

Absolutely. Mind you looking at this article the push for full reopening seems to be getting stronger but the absence of a plan does concern me
    https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0716/1153662-schools-reopening/

As I’ve said before the ideal situation for all concerned is that we are all(or as many of us as possible ) are back in the classroom in September and that teaching and learning returns to a timetabled 9-4. And without every minute of our working day being live streamed .
    What I think will happen
    Teachers will end up back in the classroom and will end up teaching online either at the same time or in the evenings
    The money will not be put in to support students by the govt end of story .
    It will be more donning the green jersey by us . And that will not be easy to reverse once it becomes embedded in everyday practice .

Regarding Simon Harris . Have no idea why he is talking about classrooms . That is not his domain thank god . He is over 3rd level . A completely different sector
    Indeed I find it strange that adults (as all 3rd level students are ) are having their PAID education curtailed so much ........

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As I’ve said before the ideal situation for all concerned is that we are all(or as many of us as possible ) are back in the classroom in September and that teaching and learning returns to a timetabled 9-4. And without every minute of our working day being live streamed .
    What I think will happen
    Teachers will end up back in the classroom and will end up teaching online either at the same time or in the evenings
    The money will not be put in to support students by the govt end of story .
    It will be more donning the green jersey by us . And that will not be easy to reverse once it becomes embedded in everyday practice .

Regarding Simon Harris . Have no idea why he is talking about classrooms .
    That is not his domain thank god . He is over 3rd level . A completely different sector
    Indeed I find it strange that adults (as all 3rd level students are ) are having their PAID education curtailed so much ........
    It's a normal thing to find a government spokesperson and he's in the general area. It was a senator on something the other day!

We've been told that we are expected to be in the school building everyday unless displaying symptoms and whatever form of teaching we do will be carried out in/from the classroom.

This seems extraordinary. Are you saying that your Principal has essentially announced going back to school arrangements six weeks beforehand without any knowledge of what the infection rates are or government instruction with regard to social distancing?

To my mind, having all teachers in at all times, short of a full and normal return, seems like a terribly inefficient use of resources.

• Advertisement

Regarding Simon Harris . Have no idea why he is talking about classrooms . That is not his domain thank god . ..

He just cannot stop talking. Remember in early May he was saying that LC classes would be back in May even after the LC had been deferred. And he was Minister for Health back then. So the chances of him not speculating about schools now that he sees Education in his portfolio title is zero.

Rosita wrote: »
    This seems extraordinary. Are you saying that your Principal has essentially announced going back to school arrangements six weeks beforehand without any knowledge of what the infection rates are or government instruction with regard to social distancing?

To my mind, having all teachers in at all times, short of a full and normal return, seems like a terribly inefficient use of resources.

Nothing official yet but word has filtered out as to what the plans are at a local level at least. Teachers Are meant to be in and will be teaching classes either to (reduced numbers of course) students in front of them as normal or else doing Zoom/Skype lessons from their room for those at home.

Nothing official yet but word has filtered out as to what the plans are at a local level at least. Teachers Are meant to be in and will be teaching classes either to (reduced numbers of course) students in front of them as normal or else doing Zoom/Skype lessons from their room for those at home.

That's amazing to be saying stuff like that considering the lack of knowledge of the logistics of organising classes/timetables under whatever advice applies at the time. Then there's movement of people, how often cleaning will be required. Sounds like control freakery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Harris, like Coveney, loves the sound of his own voice.

Rosita wrote: »
    That's amazing to be saying stuff like that considering the lack of knowledge of the logistics of organising classes/timetables under whatever advice applies at the time. Then there's movement of people, how often cleaning will be required. Sounds like control freakery to me.

This is interesting for second level. We don’t have enough classes for all staff to be in their own space. So there would have to be changeover of teachers in the rooms to do this. Possible though perhaps if some were teaching from home (health concerns etc)

I’d still be concerned about the timetabling. Like music has one double and one single a week. Which kids get to attend it? And what if worst case like this year those two classes are on a Monday/Tuesday, likely the same students would get to attend. Lot of work needed on logistics. Doable with enough time I’d say though. There’s still going to be massive issues with the lack of base classes in second level. There is a LOT of mixing of classes

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1283808825406042113?s=21
    Posted this in the other thread about going back as well but this is a new twist. LC results possibly not available until September.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1283808825406042113?s=21
    Posted this in the other thread about going back as well but this is a new twist. LC results possibly not available until September.

That is incredible if true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

The college start dates will probably be pushed back too. It’s a stress they don’t need. Teachers had the results ready so the delay is on the departments end at “calculating” the final grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Sept. 7 they're saying on the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Sept. 7 they're saying on the news.

I think that’s a disgrace. Have they an elite team doing the maths on all 420,000 results? Surely they could have more people working on it to get it done on time?

Advertisement