Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't stop moving...

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

It's going OK I think. July was light with all the races and August the same with holidays so the base phase was pretty non existent and I jumped straight into buid. A little risky but the body seems to be handling it and hovering around 50 miles per week for the last couple of weeks. Hopefully can keep the show on the road. Trying to hold 4.30m/k for the MP effort and the hr looks OK even if it feels a little rough at times but with a couple of months to go I've time to see where I land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Week 12 (Total Weekly Mileage; 93km)

Monday; 23km @ 4:53/km. Another Monday, another 6am start to run for 2 hours before the school run. This was was pretty wet, and then got drenched again on the bike dropping kids to school. drenched twice before 9am on Monday…lovely. Run felt ok. Strange I'm at the point of not planning run routes, I just go and ramble for the allotted distance.

Tuesday; 8km @ 4:54/km. Easy one. But it felt pretty sh!te. Just really leggy. Anyway got it done, and glad for another easy day tomorrow aswell.

Wednesday; 8km @4:58/km. Easy. Felt better than yesterday.

Thursday: 14km @ 4:16/km. WU, 6 x 1k @5k pace off 2 mins. (3:40, 3:32, 3:33, 3:32, 3:35, 3:34). CD

Big day here, gave the Alphaflys their first run out. They felt really strange on the WU and CD, quite unstable really. But at the interval pace felt normal. Think that will be it for them, I'll put them away until maybe a long run in the taper.

The loop I chose to do was deliberately slightly hilly, but after 2 splits I realised that I was going to have to contrive to be doing at least some of them on uphill sections. This lead to uphill drags for 4th and 5th splits so was happy to keep them in the range. 1st split felt poor as I found my range tbh, I'd say I was 400m in before I hit the target pace.

Friday: 8km easy buggy run with C, dropping him to ECCE.

Saturday: 34km @ 4:27/km (11k Easy, 18k @MP, CD)

Tumultuous build up to this one. E was in and out of hospital on Thurs/Fri so wasn't sure I'd be able for this. Then when I went to plan it, I realised it was supposed to be 12 MILES at MP, not 12k. Anyway, figured it all out just in time on Friday evening to be mentally prepped on Saturday morning.

I don't usually like doing laps of Marlay but it sort of suited today for the 18k segment. I could set up an aid station in a tree, not worry about navigating or crossing roads and just let the km tick away. Also Marlay isn't too flat, so would be an honest enough course. Anyway, lots of feelings in this one -

1 of 18km; "F*cking hell, I cant even get to pace in the 1st k, I'm goosed"

4 of 18km; "Ok feeling a bit of a groove here, even a bit ahead of pace on the downhill km, but still only 14 more to go??!"

9 of 18; "Still not even halfway!!??"

15 of 18; "Jeez where did the last 4km go?"

18 of 18; "Nice one"

Average pace across the 18 was 4:08/km which is probably 3 or 4 seconds quick but in the ballpark. Obviously happy with that. Completes 5 weeks in a row of hitting every session. At this point I feel like I'm living on borrowed time for that consistency to maintain itself.

Signed up for Ratoath half a few days ago on a whim, It's next weekend so will have a readjusted step-back week this week to allow me be a little fresh as I toe the line on that one. Goal will be to try run something like 1:22/1:23 and see what happens. Be a good indicator for DCM either way.

Post edited by crisco10 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Great 10 miler. You're flying! Best of luck in Ratoath too.

Ratoath Half - Race Report

Was looking forward to this, but had a niggle which I saw physio about on Monday. He reckoned as long as I kept the weeks running to easy I'd be fine to toe the line. Provided I backed off full pace if there was any sign of pain in the race. Worked well enough as a mini taper into the race anyway. So by Saturday morning I felt fresh and ready.

Pre race

All grand, very well organised and the choice of Fairyhouse Racecourse as HQ had obvious advantages in terms of facilities and space. Parking was easy, toilets plentiful and loads a space to warmup. I took in a half lap of the racecourse as warmup, and realised it was a bloody windy day. So that last 3km of the race would be fun running around the exposed tar path around Fairyhouse.

Target was to maintain 3:53 to 3:56 pace which would bring me in between 1:22 and 1:23 which would be a good test of whether I'm approaching sub 3 fitness.

1 to 5km:

An overly excited first 2km, in the crowd, down the hill, both km were about 3:50/km. Spent the next few km trying to find my pace and struggling to slow down in a controlled way tbh. Had an insane amount of negative thoughts in my head, but was doing my best to battle them away.

Split:19:21 (about 15 secs ahead)

6 to 10km:

I felt I started to find a rhythm at target pace, and took a gel at the water station at the 5th mile. However, my pace was slipping, and effort increasing. I realised that the faffing with gels and water bottles had distracted me a little, but also remembered that the 9th and 10th km were slightly uphill (in a mostly flat course) so that probably accounted for the effort too. Around now, sort of fell into step in a pack of 4 or 5 of us and we were working well to hide each other from the gusts of wind.

Split: 19:34

11th to 15km:

I don't remember much here, finally the distance started to tick by a bit. I was taking a jelly snake every 10 minutes to just keep the sugar levels up as I approached the final stretch.

Split 19:23

16th to 20th km:

In many ways, this was where the race started. At about 16km we turned left and started running into the wind for about 2km. I tried to tuck in here and there, but in reality I was moving better than most others around me and I didn't want to slow down at this point for the sake of tucking in. Was very relieved to reach the entrance to Fairyhouse at 18km and turn out of the wind for a bit ,sheltered by the buildings of the complex.

I was mentally prepared for a blustery final 3km, and had resolved that if I blew up at this point I'd know it was wind related and I would have a positive day either way. Anyway, very happy with the next 2km, with an undulating course and headwind, managed to keep pace at 3:52 and 3:54/km respectively. I.e. I didn't slow down.

Split: 19:21

20 to 21.1:

At 20th km, turned the corner and the wind on my back was a welcome relief but maintained the hard effort, meaning the 21st km was a 3:37/km split (fastest of the race). In a cruel turn (literally) at the 13 mile marker, you have to turn 90 degrees, and run on sand for 100 yards! Anyway, managed that and realise a strong finish would be sub 1:22. Head down and drifted over thr line about 10 seconds ahead of my "good" target.

Final Time: 1:21:48 (Avg 3:52/km)

Conclusions:

• comfortable HM, 5 or 6 minute, PB for me. And my previous one was hard fought at the time. Chuffed about that.
    • At the 10 mile marker, I was only 10 seconds behind my time from the 10 miler in July, so I'm defo fitter than then too!
    • Another positive data point that my Marathon target of 3ish is realistic.
    • All in all a good days work, and a brilliant event. would recommend.

Post edited by crisco10 on

Week 13 (Total Weekly Mileage; 64km)

Not worth a daily log this week. A bunch of easy running every day from Monday to Friday, all less than 10km. Totalling 40km for the 5 days.

I did pass 1000 miles for 2024, the earliest I've ever done it. (beating 2020 by 2 days!)

Week culminated in the Ratoath half above.

Looking forward now, there's 1 more 3 week cycle and then taper. So step back week this week, middling week next, and first week of October the final mini peak.

Struggling with motivation today, but that's part of the mental challenges of the long training cycle for a marathon I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Brilliant PB well done. Also sounds like a good race, I've heard other good reports of it too. The PP is accessible to me hence I wind up doing the races there more often than not. Fitness seems to be improving a lot, I'm sure you have a sub 3 in you.

Week 14 (Total Weekly Mileage; 82km)

A bit of step back week thank god, after Ratoath and the week was hectic logistically.

Monday: 23.5km @ 4:51/km.

As noted last week, was struggling for motivation here but managed to get out and it was a lovely sunny lunchtime run. Felt a lot more motivated after. Even if I was a little stiff after Saturday's race. But most importantly, the hip/glute pain I had the previous week wasn't made worse by the race effort on Saturday which was great.

Tuesday: 8.4km @ 4:44/km.

Along the seafront in Barcelona, a lovely place to do this one including 6 x 100m efforts. I was incredibly tight for time though so really squeezed it in in between meetings and team dinner.

Wednesday: 5.5km easy.

Again in Barcelona, again quite nice but really squeezed in before breakfast and after a relatively late night before. Came very close to not doing this one.

Thursday: 10.3km @ 4:21/km. (5 x 600 @ 5km pace).

Was very happy with myself for this one. I had gotten home from airport at about 1am on Weds night and was pretty wrecked come Thursday morning. I made a deal with myself that I'd at least get out for a an easy run, and head up toward Fernhill and see how I felt. And as frequently happens, I actually completed the session on target and on time. all the efforts were approx: 2:02 in duration which was a bit quicker than 5k pace but in the ball park. Chuffed with myself to get out and get this one done.

Friday: 28.1km @ 4:45/km

Broke a golden rule and did sessions on back to back days here. But sister's wedding on Friday afternoon meant there was no way I would get LSR done any other time than Friday 1st thing. In consideration of that, kept it all easy and relaxed, bar the climb up Fosters Ave from N11 to Goatstown where I worked to maintain the ~4:45/km pace.

Saturday: nothing. I was a broken man.

Sunday: 6km easy. twice around the block to log some miles.

Advertisement