Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allow me to explain why the 'All Live Matter' hashtag is awful.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Im sorry, but how can anyone have faith in Mayor Lightfoot after this sh*te. the urban metropolis of Chicago is hardly well known for its cowboys or culture....

Gotham wasn't known for its bat-men, until it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Thats nonsense. Why are these high crime communities mostly black? Why are the relatively safe Chicago neighbourhoods mostly white? Its because of everything I mentioned above. The lack of access to good primary and secondary education. The lack of good social programmes or hell, even a good social safety net. The lack of culture and the dilapidated placed they live because they or their families can't afford to live anywhere else. All of that is enough for gangs to entice young men to become gang members and either be murdered or jail for the promise of riches they will probably never see.

Crime doesn't just happen..it takes massive inaction for it to happen at that scale.

There is some evidence that social outreach programmes make things worse. eg. the Cambridge-Somerville Youth Study. Not sure to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Danzy wrote: »
    Poverty is not confined to one group, urban mismanagement, failed educational systems etc also.

Its fathers .

In the US an average of 35% of kids grow up in single parent households.

Among asians the single parent rate is 16%
    Among whites its 24%

Among blacks its 67%

https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by-race#detailed/1/any/false/37,871,870,573,869,36,868,867,133,38/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/432,431

The single largest cultural issue that has a direct correlation to widespread poverty in communities is a lack of fathers and positive male role models for that community.

I dont know how to solve this and why black dads just aren't sticking around less than half as much as white ones Or less than 1/4 as much as asian ones but it should be the priority to solve.

I dont know how to solve this and why black dads just aren't sticking around less than half as much as white ones Or less than 1/4 as much as asian ones but it should be the priority to solve.

It would be interesting to see such research broken down further with Black and AA groups being separated.. I did some searches but all the research i found lumped them together.

As for how to resolve it, I dunno either although I suspect the lack of respect shown each other is a major part of it. A lot of America Black culture is quite.... expressive in gestures and language, with people behaving in a more energetic manner than many other racial groups (yup, I'm trying to word it nicely). In many areas of Black culture, the idea of playing around is held in high esteem.

I'd say if they really wanted to lower the rates of single mothers/fathers, then they would be considering how to respect each other more... Not calling each other b*t*h, or N*gg** would likely be a good step... although there are many other behavioral norms which could be altered to encourage better relationships.

"During the 1960-2016 period, the percentage of children living with only their mother nearly tripled from 8 to 23 percent and the percentage of children living with only their father increased from 1 to 4 percent. "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Parts of Chicago are so neglected they genuinely look like parts of war torn countries.

Ah yeah, that'll happen if you keep rioting and burning down the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Chicago has problems but the key difference is that the culture and values of the African American community are so toxic and self destructive.

You'd wonder wats the excuse they have, for a lot of the black teenagers running amok in certain parts of Ireland over the last few years ? They're the only race I know of that glorifies drug dealing , crime, pimping , violence , bitches in their music . And yet they'll blame whitey for all their problems

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Ah yeah, that'll happen if you keep rioting and burning down the place.

One of the biggest legacies of BLM will be the wiping out of a generation of black owned businesses and service providers in black communities.

The economic damage of that will take 20 years to recover from.

One of the biggest legacies of BLM will be the wiping out of a generation of black owned businesses and service providers in black communities.

The economic damage of that will take 20 years to recover from.

And in 20 years the place will be an even bigger sh1t hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    It’s a majority black ran and populated city. Hard to blame whitey on all its issues.

The majority of Chicago’s politicians, police and residents are black.

Democrat too. There's a strong trend of urban areas with high crime rates being in majority Democrat districts.

Folks like to criticize white communities for seeking to avoid or escape from Integrated neighborhoods, but fail to grasp that when your wealth is directly tied to property value, they are being put in a position where their financial interests are being threatened. Tied to that, you have school districts which are funded from property taxes, and it's a recipe for disaster. Who would want to stay in a situation where you're losing money because new neighbours moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

First step will be to acknowledge it as being a more serious problem than systemic racism and police brutality. Good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Democrat too. There's a strong trend of urban areas with high crime rates being in majority Democrat districts.

Folks like to criticize white communities for seeking to avoid or escape from Integrated neighborhoods, but fail to grasp that when your wealth is directly tied to property value, they are being put in a position where their financial interests are being threatened. Tied to that, you have school districts which are funded from property taxes, and it's a recipe for disaster. Who would want to stay in a situation where you're losing money because new neighbours moved in?
    Of course it is.
    The democrats are routinely on the wrong side of history. Be it as the propagators of slavery, the killers of Lincoln, segregation in the south, etc.
    And they will be shown to be on the wrong side of this too, when the history is written

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Thats nonsense. Why are these high crime communities mostly black? Why are the relatively safe Chicago neighbourhoods mostly white? Its because of everything I mentioned above. The lack of access to good primary and secondary education. The lack of good social programmes or hell, even a good social safety net. The lack of culture and the dilapidated placed they live because they or their families can't afford to live anywhere else. All of that is enough for gangs to entice young men to become gang members and either be murdered or jail for the promise of riches they will probably never see.

Crime doesn't just happen..it takes massive inaction for it to happen at that scale.

Utter nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Its fathers .

In the US an average of 35% of kids grow up in single parent households.

Among asians the single parent rate is 16%
    Among whites its 24%

Among blacks its 67%

https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by-race#detailed/1/any/false/37,871,870,573,869,36,868,867,133,38/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/432,431

The single largest cultural issue that has a direct correlation to widespread poverty in communities is a lack of fathers and positive male role models for that community.

Correlation isn't causation.

If anything the evidence points to the opposite that you are implying. It isn't race that causes single parent households, it is poverty. Look at Dublin, where are there more single parents - Tallaght or D4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Foxtrol wrote: »

If anything the evidence points to the opposite that you are implying. It isn't race that causes single parent households, it is poverty. Look at Dublin, where are there more single parents - Tallaght or D4?

This article from BBC would disagree, quoting Sara McLanahan,professor of sociology at Princeton University, in the US, where she has overseen the "Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study."

In this research, even allowing for economic disadvantage, Prof McLanahan said, data began to show the impact of instability on a child's life.
    • Those whose parents had divorced were more likely to fail to progress at school.
    • Children who were in what the researchers characterised as a "fragile family", where parents were cohabiting or there was a lone parent, were twice as likely not to graduate from high school.
    • Prof McLanahan said the data showed that even a child in a stable single-parent household was likely to do worse on some measures than a child of a married couple.
    • "Having two adults who co-operate to raise the child, who give time and money, means there are just more resources than one doing it," she said.
    [...]
    "There is still a difference between the outcomes of children born to single-parent households, versus married or cohabiting, even when you taken into account they tend to be from poorer homes."

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-47057787

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

even tallaght is far wealthier today than the vast majority of ireland was in 1970 , the percentage of single parent households in 1970 was a fraction of what it is today , in tallaght or anywhere else

2u2me wrote: »
    This article from BBC would disagree, quoting Sara McLanahan,professor of sociology at Princeton University, in the US, where she has overseen the "Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study."

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-47057787

What does that link have to do with my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Can you not see that it’s not the poverty that results in the lone parents, it’s the lone parents that brings the poverty? Think about it.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Can you not see that it’s not the poverty that results in the lone parents, it’s the lone parents that brings the poverty? Think about it.

So you're saying White and Black people in the US started off at the same income levels and the massive differences now in average household wealth between people of the two races is driven by lone parents?? :confused:

I think it is you that needs to think about it.

splinter65 wrote: »

the left view single parenthood as a sacred thing , therefore any obvious downsides to being a single parent are minimised or blamed on the state

of course any situation which further renders someone dependent - more dependent on the state is a good thing from the POV of the left so the more single parents , the better , politically .

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the left view single parenthood as a sacred thing , therefore any obvious downsides to being a single parent are minimised or blamed on the state

of course any situation which further renders someone dependent - more dependent on the state is a good thing from the POV of the left so the more single parents , the better , politically .

What nonsense are you talking about?

Who has said there isn't downsides?

• Advertisement

So you're saying White and Black people in the US started off at the same income levels and the massive differences now in average household wealth between people of the two races is driven by lone parents?? :confused:

I think it is you that needs to think about it.

It may not be 100% of the cause but you can't deny it's a significant factor.

It may not be 100% of the cause but you can't deny it's a significant factor.

Significant factor in what?

Significant factor in what?

Poverty. Household wealth. Whatever you want to call it.

It's harder for a one parent family to escape poverty than it is for a two parent family.

Poverty. Household wealth. Whatever you want to call it.

It's harder for a one parent family to escape poverty than it is for a two parent family.

I agree with your latter point, however the problem is that many are in that cycle of poverty because their ancestors did not start as equals and then were repeatedly held down when they tried to escape poverty, through racist laws, arguably right up to this day.

Again, poverty in Ireland is just as generational, despite Ireland offering an enormous amount of additional supports to help people escape.

I agree with your latter point, however the problem is that many are in that cycle of poverty because their ancestors did not start as equals and then were repeatedly held down when they tried to escape poverty, through racist laws, arguably right up to this day.

Again, poverty in Ireland is just as generational, despite Ireland offering an enormous amount of additional supports to help people escape.

in both instances , you portray both them problems as completely lying with the state

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    in both instances , you portray both them problems as completely lying with the state

Slavery and racist laws are completely the fault of the state, however, you inferred the rest because it is the argument you'd prefer to have.

Single parenthood in many situations is personal choice, however it is seen worldwide that those from poorer areas have higher rates of single parenthood. It isn't a race issue, it is a poverty issue.

Slavery and racist laws are completely the fault of the state, however, you inferred the rest because it is the argument you'd prefer to have.

Single parenthood in many situations is personal choice, however it is seen worldwide that those from poorer areas have higher rates of single parenthood. It isn't a race issue, it is a poverty issue.

It's both a poverty issue and a cultural issue.

Look at the rates of single parents split between the racial groupings. Poverty is party of it, but culture plays a significant role too.

Yes, yes, I know that AA culture has been greatly influenced by the past, but some responsibility rests within the AA community too. Especially considering the rise in the numbers of single mothers over the last fifty years, when arguably, previous to this period AA people would have experienced greater amounts of racism, discrimination, etc. AA culture shifted in the 60s... not solely due to external influences, but within the Black communities themselves, as the image of the family unit changed. Some of that is due to socio-economic factors, but some is due to changing values.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

That's all white privilege though... (according to a video I saw explaining the term anyway)

It's both a poverty issue and a cultural issue.

Look at the rates of single parents split between the racial groupings. Poverty is party of it, but culture plays a significant role too.

Yes, yes, I know that AA culture has been greatly influenced by the past, but some responsibility rests within the AA community too. Especially considering the rise in the numbers of single mothers over the last fifty years, when arguably, previous to this period AA people would have experienced greater amounts of racism, discrimination, etc. AA culture shifted in the 60s... not solely due to external influences, but within the Black communities themselves, as the image of the family unit changed. Some of that is due to socio-economic factors, but some is due to changing values.

Data doesn't back you up on however you're trying to twist yourself in knots regarding 'culture'.

If you want to talk about 'culture' changes, the % of single white parents in the US increased at more than double the rate of single black parents during the period you cited. The rate of increase in Irish births to lone parents is even bigger than that. Society as a whole changed.

Again, whether in Ireland or white or black areas in the US, poverty is the thing they have in common when it comes to higher lone parents. Race doesn't come into it

• Advertisement

Data doesn't back you up on however you're trying to twist yourself in knots regarding 'culture'.

What data? The data does shows a shift in the ratio of single parent families vs traditional families in the 60s... As I said, some of it is due to socio-economic reasons (such as, lack of employment in black communities forcing fathers to work away from home), but there are other cultural shifts within Black culture regarding their own values.

But you're welcome to prove me wrong, rather than simply saying that I'm wrong.
    If you want to talk about 'culture' changes, the % of single white parents in the US increased at more than double the rate of single black parents during the period you cited. The rate of increase in Irish births to lone parents is even bigger than that. Society as a whole changed.

Ever hear of the sexual revolution, with the introduction of better contraceptives?
    Again, whether in Ireland or white or black areas in the US, poverty is the thing they have in common when it comes to higher lone parents. Race doesn't come into it

That's nice, since I didn't attribute anything to race. I attributed it to cultural changes.

And comparisons with Ireland are meaningless.

Advertisement