Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Why are some motorists so concerned about me wearing headphones on my bike? I'm only going to harm myself if I crash. It's just another feeble stick the anti people on bikes crowd try to beat us with. I see them all the time with no high vis and headphones on!!! How dare they!!! They should be 100% committed to not being in my way or inconveniencing me!!

Honestly, it’s the guilt, if I run over a monk, and even if it’s his fault for blasting the bee gees at full volume, I will still feel seriously guilty.

Amirani wrote: »
    You may be amazed to learn this, but the human ear is capable of hearing more than 1 sound at a time.

Your "therefore" attempt at deductive reasoning could do with some work also.

Actually what’s amazing is that there are more planets and stars in all the universes than there are grains of sand in the Sahara desert.

This is now my favourite thread, reading the past pages or so it appears that people have decided it’s time to say fuddlesticks with whatever any post actually means, and I’ll make my own interpretation up entirely as I please. It takes a special breed to do this and I’m quite impressed to see so many congregate in the same thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cnocbui wrote: »
    Only cyclists lives matter. Why would you post this on a cycling forum anyway?
    this isn't the cycling fourm?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

this isn't the cycling fourm?

I was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

begbysback wrote: »
    Honestly, it’s the guilt, if I run over a monk, and even if it’s his fault for blasting the bee gees at full volume, I will still feel seriously guilty.

Well slow down and keep your distance and we'll both be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Doesn't explain the ever present concern trolling of cyclists for what they wear while ignoring the endemic breaching of traffic laws by other drivers. Would there be no guilt after killing another motorist? Most road deaths are motorists killing themselves, other motorists and passengers.

Not sure if anyone posted this, but 30km/h is now the default speed limit in urban areas nationwide. Edit: In Holland of course! Lekker!

https://twitter.com/lennartnout/status/1321115972514754560

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

an interesting read.
    no relationship was found between the frequency of listening to music or talking on the phone and the frequency of incidents among teenage cyclists.
    and
    may still pose a risk in the absence of compensatory behaviour or in a traffic environment with less extensive and less safe cycling infrastructure than the Dutch setting

sounds like we need to go dutch so! 30km/h limits all round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Paper author is convinced it must make a difference, but even with that bias included, simply finds no proof whatsoever. He still says it might make a difference but fully and clearly admits, he can find no proof of it whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Why are some motorists so concerned about me wearing headphones on my bike? I'm only going to harm myself if I crash.

Why should I have to spend months waiting on the outcome of an investigation to see whether I should be charged with a criminal offence over somebody colliding with me due to their ignorant road manner?

Why should a responsible motorist have their evening interrupted with an arrest, a few hours in the station for blood and urine testing, et al, all because some fool on a bike needed to change their Spotify/ send a text. Tonight alone on my Dublin Bike trip some fool on her bike came at me up the wrong way on the street causing me to stop to let her by. Last week some tool on a scooter was near on nose to nose with me by the time he jammed on the brakes, again in my lane. Why should I be the one to stop, on my side of the road? That is twice where if I wasn't the responsible adult there would have been a collision.

It goes without saying neither of these eejits were wearing a hi vis, naturally.

The arrogance is staggering.

• Advertisement

yet again, it's proven that the irish in general believe the main road safety danger is errant cyclists. plus ca change.

This is a thread on 30kmph limits in Dublin, any chance we'd discuss that instead of some BS about not wearing Hi Vis on two people who were seen in plenty of time FFS

yet again, it's proven that the irish in general believe the main road safety danger is errant cyclists. plus ca change.

Not quite the “main” danger, but cyclists do give other road users plenty of reason to believe they are some danger to general road safety.

when i'm walking, it's motorists i have to watch out for.
    when i'm cycling, it's motorists i have to watch out for.
    when i'm driving, it's motorists i have to watch out for.

only once have i felt threatened by another cyclist, and i'm fairly sure he was off his gourd on coke at the time (and it's kinda funny in hindsight now, not in the way i'd consider it kinda funny if it had been a motorist threatening to kill me)

but yeah, let's keep talking about cyclists as a 'danger to general road safety'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Stupid people making stupid laws, if anything with more people working from home they should be increasing the speed limit as there is less dangers on the road, heven 40 would be better than what they are purposing.

when i'm driving, it's motorists i have to watch out for.'.

Ahh I see, so it’s actually you giving us reasonable motorists a bad rep by ignoring those pesky cyclists.

Stupid people making stupid laws, if anything with more people working from home they should be increasing the speed limit as there is less dangers on the road
    you do know road deaths went *up* during first lockdown for this very reason? less congested roads meant higher speeds.
    those stupid people and their stupid pesky road death stats indeed.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/deaths-on-irish-roads-almost-10pc-higher-than-last-year-despite-months-of-lockdown-39446961.html

road deaths *increased* despite the lockdown.

Ahh I see, so it’s actually you giving us reasonable motorists
    nearly every cyclist posting in this thread is a motorist. the converse is not true.

We need a review of the highway code like is taking place in the UK, a 30kmph speed limit will pale in comparison to the hysteria kicked up there at the weekend about people cycling 2 abreast. Of all the things suggested this was the thiong the papers focused on. It's already legal there same as here they just wanted it clarified to drivers.

The negativity towards cyclists is only really a thing imo in the last 5-7 years and is purely driven by media with a need for clicks by sowing division where ever it can be divided.

would be interesting to see the results of a poll where dublin (or cork, galway, etc.) based posters, living in urban or suburban areas, were asked what they'd like to see the speed limit outside their *own* house to be set at.

• Advertisement

would be interesting to see the results of a poll where dublin (or cork, galway, etc.) based posters, living in urban or suburban areas, were asked what they'd like to see the speed limit outside their *own* house to be set at.

No issues with increasing speed limit outside my house here, now if we could ban cyclists outside I’d vote yes, and then try to sneak back in to vote yes again for a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No issues with increasing speed limit outside my house here, now if we could ban cyclists outside I’d vote yes, and then try to sneak back in to vote yes again for a second time.

Have you stopped to think what happens to your traffic jam when the 56k banned commuting cyclists switch back to their cars?

Back on topic

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1321149411049824258?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

nearly every cyclist posting in this thread is a motorist. the converse is not true.

80% of cyclists drive while only 20% of motorists cycles

I would love if someone organised a drive your car to work day for cyclists, when offices are back open.
    During the last lockdown there seemed to be quite a few fatal crashes and pedestrians and cyclists killed. I noticed when going in and out of town on the bike that people were driving a lot faster because there were less cars on the road. Empty roads seem to make for reckless drivers.

blanch152 wrote: »
    That has no meaning to the point in question, only demonstrates your kneejerk response to any comment you perceive as negative in respect of cycling.

Drivers won't die if they are distracted from their driving by music, cyclists will.

It's all a matter of risk management.

Listening to music in a nightclub drowns out more noise that either a car stereo or cyclist earphones, but you're not going to be knocked down and killed by a road vehicle while sitting in a nightclub.
    What? If they are distracted they might kill someone else. I have sadly with age got no issue with someone dying by their own stupidity. If all they were going to injure was themselves, I wouldn't give a sh1t what motorists do.
    I would love if someone organised a drive your car to work day for cyclists, when offices are back open.
    During the last lockdown there seemed to be quite a few fatal crashes and pedestrians and cyclists killed. I noticed when going in and out of town on the bike that people were driving a lot faster because there were less cars on the road. Empty roads seem to make for reckless drivers.
    I seen alot of that on my way into work, roads practically empty and you still had D4 tractors swinging into the bus lane to do over a ton through a red light. It was a bit mental. Thanks fully bus drivers became really nice all round from my experience as they could keep to schedules as cars weren't parked on yellow boxes or blocking junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Last lockdown was one of those occasions where I felt almost as nervous in the car as on a bike. Crazy, crazy driving on display when there was no traffic to slow people down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

17 December 2017 • 5:57pm

Reducing the speed limit to 20mph has caused a rise in death and serious injuries, a council has admitted, but is refusing to reverse the scheme because it will cost too much.

Bath and North East Somerset Council spent £871,000 bringing in the 13 new speed zones just 12 months ago.

But one year on, a report has found that the rate of people killed or seriously injured has gone up in seven out of the 13 new 20mph zones.

The review of the traffic control measures warns that this is a problem nationally, adding: "There is no simple explanation for this adverse trend but it could be that local people perceive the area to be safer due to the presence of the 20mph restrictions and thus are less diligent when walking and crossing roads, cycling or otherwise travelling."

Despite the council's own report concluding that there is "little in the way of persuasive argument for continuing the programme in the future", deputy leader Patrick Anketell-Jones has admitted there simply isn't the money available to reverse the 20mph zones.

The Conservative councillor said: "It has cost over £800,000 to roll out the 20mph zone and it would probably cost the same to reverse them.

"We just haven't got the money. I'm pretty sure the 20mph zones will stay in place for the foreseeable future."

It adds that the rise in casualty numbers and severity would "suggest against further expansion of area based schemes."

In the 12 months since each 20mph zone was installed the rate of people killed or seriously injured has gone up in seven out of the 13 areas.

The reductions had been seen in central Bath whilst the worsening was largely in outlying rural areas.

The report added: "Casualty severity has worsened marginally in Bath and more so in outlying towns. Again, this is reflective of the national situation."

This is not the first warning that 20mph areas are more dangerous. In 2010 the Department for Transport reviewed the scheme in Portsmouth, one of the first areas to adopt it, and found that number of people killed or seriously injured on affected roads actually went up, not down, after the limit was lowered.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/17/20mph-limit-dangerous-costly-reverse-council-admits/

Well that was unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Stark wrote: »
    Last lockdown was one of those occasions where I felt almost as nervous in the car as on a bike. Crazy, crazy driving on display when there was no traffic to slow people down.

Last lockdown i'd be sitting on the M50 doing the limit and cars absolutely burning past , a couple easily doing 200kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    given ireland's experience - fatalities noticeably rose as a result of lockdown, and no-one has linked that to 30km/h zones - are they confusing correlation and causation?

Advertisement