Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

How’s George Lee & RTÉ coping with today’s numbers? The excitement must be palatable in the RTÉ studios as the prospect of more doomsday reporting & Prime Time Special episodes to follow for months on end. They’ll probably drag out Prof Killeen, Scally, Ryan, McConkey, etc for another round it in tandem - perhaps we’ll be asked to wear goggles or face shields next as well as masks...
    What amazes me is the weight given to Prof Scally re Covid. Of course he’s going to big it up, he has a conflict of interest in the development of the Oxford vaccine. It’s like asking bankers for their views on how the Government should go about fixing their banking crisis mess in 2008.

Someone said it here before.

We are asking the wrong people the wrong questions to get the wrong advice.

Watch Luke O Neills first late late appearance on Feb 28. The rantings of a bluffer.

Those idiots have had their say. Its time to wheel out every economist, mental health psychologist and childhood development expert they can find.

On 2nd thought's they dont have to be experts, just random galutes, and let them have their say

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

It looks like the pubs would never open. It is a joke to what this country turned to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Spikes are happening.

We have to deal with that now. Disappointing to hear of the numbers today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

gral6 wrote: »
    It looks like the pubs would never open. It is a joke to what this country turned to.

Prime time has a feature on the cases today and again about the pubs. All negative off course. Looking forward to it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Assume they have a substantial amount more ICU beds per 100k population to aid treatment for the vulnerable?

You would be wrong according to this.

https://www.statista.com/chart/7495/germany-leads-europe-in-hospital-bed-capacity/

• Advertisement

Spikes are happening.

We have to deal with that now. Disappointing to hear of the numbers today though.

It only proves that the lockdown was useless. Sweden&Belarus are much better prepared for the winter now than the rest of Europe. Unfortunately 4 months ago, European countries chose to hide their heads in the sand and imposed lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Are you only interested in pubs. There are pubs that you can get drink in.

niallo27 wrote: »

So they have 3 times more vulnerable people in the over 65 group, 2m vs 650k, but similar numbers of ICU beds.

Thats a strange one.

No doubt someone will be on to suggest those beds are better than Irish ICU beds

joeguevara wrote: »
    Are you only interested in pubs. There are pubs that you can get drink in.

I don't care about the pubs. I do care about people who used to work there and now, by April 1, would be getting 203 a week because of government. What a f.... joke

Spikes are happening.

Yeah I think it’s time I either took unpaid leave or quit if I have to. Haven’t been happy for weeks but between the numbers and how bad people have become worth distancing I really would rather be alive than working.

Still don’t agree with the selfish Irish consensus that we should have sacrificed more people so they could go to the pub now though no matter how much “further along” we’d be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It only proves that the lockdown was useless. Sweden&Belarus are much better prepared for the winter now than the rest of Europe. Unfortunately 4 months ago, European countries chose to hide their heads in the sand and imposed lockdowns

No i don't agree, we were probably a bit over the top but it worked, I do think going back into a full lock down would be a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Prime time has a feature on the cases today and again about the pubs. All negative off course. Looking forward to it.....

Yes it appears they’ve secretly filmed people in bars re regulations trying to get more businesses shut and people out on the PUP and dole...

niallo27 wrote: »
    No i don't agree, we were probably a bit over the top but it worked,

Fair enough Niallo, but when you say it worked, what are you basing that on?

Death rate? We are similar to Sweden

Yes it appears they’ve secretly filmed people in bars re regulations trying to get more businesses shut and people out on the PUP and dole...

Oh good lord, such fantastic investigative journalism.

Pulitzer prize nominations for that fine piece

Yeah I think it’s time I either took unpaid leave or quit if I have to. Haven’t been happy for weeks but between the numbers and how bad people have become worth distancing I really would rather be alive than working.

Still don’t agree with the selfish Irish consensus that we should have sacrificed more people so they could go to the pub now though no matter how much “further along” we’d be.

Are you a teacher or what's your role?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,816 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not a pub worker but in a similar grouping and even though we're getting payed something it's still the anxiety of waiting around not knowing what's the story. I'd prefer to be in work and not waiting around twiddling my tumbs

Mental health will become any even bigger issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Fair enough Niallo, but when you say it worked, what are you basing that on?

Death rate? We are similar to Sweden

Sweden - Population 10 million - Deaths 5739

Ireland - Population 5 Million - Deaths 1763

Not similar at all.

john4321 wrote: »

Not similar at all.

This isnt lethal to all ages.

Its lethal to over 65s.

Sweden 2m- 5739

Ireland 650k- 1763

Including the full population is equivalent to lookin for infant deaths in nursing homes

This isnt lethal to all ages.

Its lethal to over 65s.

Sweden 2m- 5739

Ireland 650k- 1763

Including the full population is equivalent to lookin for infant deaths in nursing homes

12209213.jpg

Not similar at all.

Sweden +34 new cases today, without a lockdown.
    Ireland + 84 new cases today with a lockdown.
    Herd immunity is only way to go.

• Advertisement

12209213.jpg

Well that boloxoligy of a picture shut me right up.

That answer proves a point anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Assume they have a substantial amount more ICU beds per 100k population to aid treatment for the vulnerable?

You can have an excellent health service with fewer ICU beds, y'know.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Sweden +34 new cases today, without a lockdown.
    Ireland + 84 new cases today with a lockdown.
    Herd immunity is only way to go.

There was a poster here yesterday that ended up saying Sweden had a lockdown when the numbers didnt add up.

Penfailed wrote: »
    You can have an excellent health service with fewer ICU beds, y'know.

Ok thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ok thanks for that

You're very welcome.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Oh good lord, such fantastic investigative journalism.

Pulitzer prize nominations for that fine piece

Cringeworthy stuff. Was like he was undercover in a Mexican drug cartel. Apes.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Cringeworthy stuff. Was like he was undercover in a Mexican drug cartel. Apes.

I could see things were about to kick off, so I got out of there

Well that boloxoligy of a picture shut me right up.

That answer proves a point anyway

All I did was try to highlight the statement you made about the death rate was incorrect.

You could have acknowledged the statement was incorrect and moved on but instead you decided to reply with a changed narrative which is disingenuous and contradicts your original statement which I had simply pointed out was incorrect.

This is a public forum where people just see a post like your original post and take it as fact, next thing its repeated that Ireland and Sweden has a "similar death rate" and then re-quote it as fact.

Another thing as I haven't posted much in this thread, I have not met or known a single person who has enjoyed or wanted the country to be shut down but the majority of people thankfully understood the reasons why it was required at the time.

This could have been a useful thread to discuss the re-opening plan but turned into a bit of a mess where people either wanted to wind other people up or look for some approval of going against public health advice.

All I did was try to highlight the statement you made about the death rate was incorrect.

You could have acknowledged the statement was incorrect and moved on but instead you decided to reply with a changed narrative which is disingenuous and contradicts your original statement which I had simply pointed out was incorrect.

This is a public forum where people just see a post like your original post and take it as fact, next thing its repeated that Ireland and Sweden has a "similar death rate" and then re-quote it as fact.

Another thing as I haven't posted much in this thread, I have not met or known a single person who has enjoyed or wanted the country to be shut down but the majority of people thankfully understood the reasons why it was required at the time.

This could have been a useful thread to discuss the re-opening plan but turned into a bit of a mess where people either wanted to wind other people up or look for some approval of going against public health advice.

You posted a meme in response to figures that you didn't agree with.

Think about that.

• Advertisement

You posted a meme in response to figures that you didn't agree with.

Think about that.

I didn't post a meme I posted a pic of 4 guys moving goalposts to illustrate what you did in your reply to my original post in some way to justify your original statement was correct.

Any thoughts on the rest of my last post or will we just leave it there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement