Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    A quick Google would've answered that for you. A third country is any country not part of the EU, single market or Customs Union.

I thought so much. So this statement in you recent post is patently not true then?
    “The single market requires checks on goods from 3rd countries. No wishful thinking changes that.”
    So that’s one big concession given to OWC that you say can’t happen even with wishful thinking. Watch the dominos fall in the coming months and so may even take a year or two. Francie is going to need a lot of popcorn

Standard daily fare from the troll. They probably consult that 'OnthisdaytheIRA' twitter page or similar when they need to pivot a discussion or substantiate some whataboutery.

Downcow in this thread is like our own little advent calendar of antagonistic unionism.

Item was completely relevant to Fionn claiming that the murder of a ruc officer was not quite as bad as the murder of a civilian. I think the whole idea of the forum is that I am allowed to disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    I thought so much. So this statement in you recent post is patently not true then?
    “The single market requires checks on goods from 3rd countries. No wishful thinking changes that.”
    So that’s one big concession given to OWC that you say can’t happen even with wishful thinking. Watch the dominos fall in the coming months and so may even take a year or two. Francie is going to need a lot of popcorn

What are you on about?

This is the kind of vague 'we won something so intangible it cannot be written down in black and white', rubbish that makes my popcorn so enjoyable at times like this.

I expect loads more of the same vainglorious nonsense tomorrow in the HoC.

What are you on about?

This is the kind of vague 'we won something so intangible it cannot be written down in black and white', rubbish that makes my popcorn so enjoyable at times like this.

I expect loads more of the same vainglorious nonsense tomorrow in the HoC.

What is vague about this.
    Fionn said
    “ The single market requires checks on goods from 3rd countries. No wishful thinking changes that.”

ie OWC is a third country, by his definition, and goods from us are not being checked.

That seems easy to understand

Fionn said
    “ The single market requires checks on goods from 3rd countries. No wishful thinking changes that.”

ie OWC is a third country, by his definition, and goods from us are not being checked.

Your 'wee country' is not a 3rd country (did you miss your big country selling you off to the EU basically?) you have diverged from the rest of the UK in order that they can be a '3rd country'.

Do you understand what you are talking about here at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Fionn said

I said no such thing, and I challenge you to provide a quote if you can. I provided you with a definition of what a 3rd country is as you requested that information.

That being said, the statement is entirely true; the purpose of the NI protocol is to prevent NI from being a 3rd country, hence no checks into the EU and checks between NI and Britain.

Stand by 100% every statement above. I am very confident they will all happen. You introduce the short timeframe to spice it up. Changes are happening and will continue to happen, but you will have to sit on your enthusiasm for a wee while

So the entirety of your claim is that something will happen at some time.....Jesus, you'd make some living as a psychic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fionn said

GB is the 3rd country as NI is in the single market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I can't see the UK government ripping up their hard won trade agreement for minority opinion in NI.

I suspect they'll aim to streamline some processes and give short extensions to some grace periods.

A lot of the initial import problems due to lack of readiness from GB suppliers have been resolved already.

There are competitive advantages bestowed on the north through the protocol they are able to use.

I see the north's industrial development agency is already out there selling it

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1362068422264311809

As you pointed out here, there are definite advantages for NI with its unique position now. Coupled with a slice of common sense from all parties(streamlining etc)I can't see the vast majority of people in NI in the slightest bit interested in a UI.
    Why would they want it?-They've got the best of both worlds now.

Some unionists are not thinking that strategically it seems.

The majority of people voted to remain in the EU. The new arrangements give the political parties cover on that very point.

Far from damaging the union as they see it, the arrangements can help NI be successful.

It would be more damaging without the protocol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

RobMc59 wrote: »
    NI in the slightest bit interested in a UI.
    Why would they want it?-They've got the best of both worlds now.

They have but the transient disruption is blinding many from seeing it. Johnson using the transition year, as an additional negotiating year, has mean an effective transition in zero time. Hence the current turbulence. Some are exploiting this by painting it as the modus operandi for the long term, despite it being no such thing. As things settle though,all in NI will realise that the region has won the economic lotto, and anyone there suggesting that things could be better either as a UI, or as a fully integrated market with the UK, will be in an insignificant minority, and looked at as if they have two heads. It will settle the NI question once and for all, as it will have found a comfortable position in the world.

I said no such thing, and I challenge you to provide a quote if you can. I provided you with a definition of what a 3rd country is as you requested that information.
    n.

Fionn. As you know, if I am incorrect I will hold my hands up. I cut and pasted that out of a recent post and I am 99% sure it was your post. Are you saying it wasn’t? If so I will go back and check. Apologies in advance if you are saying that and are correct - maybe I have lost the plot

Fionn. As you know, if I am incorrect I will hold my hands up. I cut and pasted that out of a recent post and I am 99% sure it was your post. Are you saying it wasn’t? If so I will go back and check. Apologies in advance if you are saying that and are correct - maybe I have lost the plot

I can assure you it was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

They have but the transient disruption is blinding many from seeing it. Johnson using the transition year, as an additional negotiating year, has mean an effective transition in zero time. Hence the current turbulence. Some are exploiting this by painting it as the modus operandi for the long term, despite it being no such thing. As things settle though,all in NI will realise that the region has won the economic lotto, and anyone there suggesting that things could be better either as a UI, or as a fully integrated market with the UK, will be in an insignificant minority, and looked at as if they have two heads. It will settle the NI question once and for all, as it will have found a comfortable position in the world.

Not if the protocol gets voted away in 4 years' time.

Unlikely as there won't be a unionist majority and the arrangements will be well bedded in.

This is the point. No one will have any interest in voting away such an advantageous position. It will never happen.

This is the point. No one will have any interest in voting away such an advantageous position. It will never happen.

That would be the advantageous position for which the DUP raised a petition to remove NI from? The advantageous position which former Unionist leaders are outraged about? The same one that Loyalists are so outraged about they're threatening staff?

At least we can always depend on wider Unionism to shoot itself in the foot (and then blame Republicans, the Irish in general and the EU).

That would be the advantageous position for which the DUP raised a petition to remove NI from? The advantageous position which former Unionist leaders are outraged about? The same one that Loyalists are so outraged about they're threatening staff?

At least we can always depend on wider Unionism to shoot itself in the foot (and then blame Republicans, the Irish in general and the EU).

Yes. That is simply posturing during the transition necessary given the baggage they carry. As things stabilise, the benefits accrue, and public opinion turns in favour, all objections will be dropped gradually and quietly.

I can assure you it was not.

Sorry Fionn. I might have been 99% sure but I was wrong. It was not you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Top level posturing.

I wonder was this Downcow's big gotcha moment?! Hahaha

I did tell you you would need more popcorn. The dup are playing catch-up here. They were left a bit behind on it

Hahaha. Firstly the dup move sounds like face saving.
    As for gotcha. It’s interesting how you turn my ‘interesting developments’ into ‘gotcha moment’, but whatever floats your boat lol

I did tell you you would need more popcorn. The dup are playing catch-up here. They were left a bit behind on it

If they win this they set a precedent where somebody can undo Brexit.

Bizarre again from Unionism. Utterly braindead tbh.

But anyway...good job I love popcorn.

As for gotcha. It’s interesting how you turn my ‘interesting developments’ into ‘gotcha moment’, but whatever floats your boat lol

Yes, Downcow....when you're gloating about the big changes that are coming, but totally unwilling to provide any details, while claiming it could be a gamechanger and that it is putting unification off for generations, and that it will make me, 'sit on my enthusiasm for a while', I'd say a Gotcha is a pretty appropriate way of describing it.

Yes, Downcow....when you're gloating about the big changes that are coming, but totally unwilling to provide any details, while claiming it could be a gamechanger and that it is putting unification off for generations, and that it will make me, 'sit on my enthusiasm for a while', I'd say a Gotcha is a pretty appropriate way of describing it.

Wasn't Trimble gonna mount a challenge too..or did he go ahead?

What difference would it make if they win? It's just back to square one and puts the whole UK back into No Deal territory.

Utterly bizarre...and there's gonna be major investment into this environment?

You have quite a binary attitude to life. You also have amazing confidence that the EU will not use common sense and compromise.
    If life was that simple then you wouldn’t need any popcorn

• Advertisement

Wasn't a previous case against Brexit (that it was incompatible with the GFA) thrown out?

I don't see therefore how the protocol could be incompatible given it's an outworking of Brexit.

Advertisement