Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ralph_GM

Lad near me is buying new gear yearly. Everything going, bought new. I don't know how money is made at all!

It's all a bit repetitive.

Lads are looking for problems to make content now.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Farmer Dan

It's like anything, there's always a bust after a boom. Lads that started early made hay while the sun shone.

There's only so much silage being done , slurry being spread, letting cows out for first time in spring lads will watch.

Not much changes from year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭farmerphil135

The lifespan of a channel I reckon is 3-5 years after that content gets stale. As you said there’s only so many times you can see slurry,silage, cattle before you’ve seen it all before. My last slurry video I thought had some of the best drone footage I ever got but the crooks of the video is the same as a slurry video from 3 years ago. I can see myself the channel peaked in 2022 and is struggling to keep pace since. Part of it is content gone stale from 3 videos week and the other is the range of other channels out there offering fresh content.

our long term outlook is to drop back to 2 videos by the end of the year and 1 a week eventually. Ultimately I’ve got what I aimed for the farm shop business that will outlast the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think you are right. It would be a brave decision to alter your farm business to chase social media views.

Those that started or were established pre covid would have done well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭youllbemine

Funny you say the drone footage you recently captured is the best ever. With the long length and number of videos available to watch I always skip drone footage and watch the talking piece and/or something new I haven't seen before. Don't have the time to be watching everything and can skip through the bits I don't want to watch. One of the joys of YouTube. My favourite videos of yours are the ones where you talk about plans for the future, history of the farm, what did/didn't work. Have seen the slurry, silage, calf videos many times now. But keep it up, I still enjoy your content on the whole and realise that I am getting to watch it all for free (minus the data and time I am giving away)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

I thought the Samasz factory stuff was very interesting to hear how they develop new machinery. The Fleming factory tour was very good also. It’s not every day we see inside these places.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I got to about 12-13 months before I ran out of steam. But then I'm only part-time on 30-ish acres.

I'll still throw up the odd one here and there but I'm shaking my head now at how I managed to find the time and content for putting together one every week like I was doing for a while.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

An idea for any tubers running out of content..

Get the yoke out.

A world meeting of Draft cattle operators in Hesse, Germany this year.

• Advertisement

You're doing well with the subs.

Last time I checked you only had 3 or 4k. How did you get so many? It's rather quick. Is it all organic or did you get a shoutout from some others?

And do you see any benefits in terms of income or sponsors reaching out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

keep the videos to 10 minutes is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

Not YouTube but siamsa sessions posted a lovely little video on twitter. Keep the chin up was the message.

I’ve no idea why my subscriber figures are so high considering the standard enough content and low frequency of the videos. I don’t think I got any particular shout-out from the lads with huge subscribers and big viewing numbers (but thanks if anyone did!)

Re income: I got around €100/month from m6 to m12 of my YouTube career. I was putting up 1 video per week then. Nothing before that and nothing after when I stopped uploading them. It was taking around 3 hours to do a 10 min video, between walking around recording stuff, editing it all together and adding music on the laptop, and then uploading to YouTube. It worked out around €8/hour.

I assume the lads at it a while are able to do the videos faster than that and I’d probably have got faster over time too. I’ve no idea what those lads earn but they deserve every cent for the effort involved.

I don’t know how the ad stuff works but I can only assume YouTube sells ads and the lad putting up the video gets a percentage.

I was never approached by any sponsor officially but I got a few emails and DMs on Twitter from sales reps asking how I was getting on, and did I ever think of trying X dosing product, etc. But that was it. One rep sent me 2.5 litres of a copper drench for free but I never used it so didn’t mention it in any video.

I did like making the videos and if I’d time and content I’d go back to 1 video per week but it’ll only be the odd one here and there I’ll do for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Kieran, your content is excellent and imo it related to the day to day efforts of livestock farmers - you told it all and didn't hold anything back which is rear within farming circles. I've always enjoyed watching your videos. I hope you achieve your dream of milking cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

I too skip all the drone footage as I find it boring. I just like the talking or explaining parts.

He'd be better off buying a hazmat suit and converting to tillage now and keeping the off farm job. Journal is reporting the tillage groups months of lobbying of hardship has paid off. They are getting 450/ha to plough grassland and 250/ha for five years to keep it in tillage. But the big tillage farmer has gotten a limit imposed of 15/ha and over only. So no field just for feed cereal and straw for yourself.

In reality it was the Irish corn merchants that lobbied. But it seems they've won now. Another death knell to the small dairy or grassland farmer that was in the market for leased land too.

No votes for fg or ff ever again here anyway.

From a nitrates point of view this means more nitrates in the waterways. But no blame is ever put on this by the noisy only on the livestock so livestock will be blamed more for the increase of N in waterways. It's all bull and brings us back to where we were in nitrates 20, 30 years ago which was worse than today. And more in line with nitrates in Europe where tillage is more practised.

But they've won the room. Congrats.

Thanks for that.

We’ll see about the cows. I’ve finally got to speak to a person in AIB but I get a sense the loan decision is still at least 1 level above him.

I contacted the Credit Union again today too. I’ve a small loan (€15k outstanding) with them already and found them very easy to deal with - they’re essentially the only local bank left in rural Ireland now. The interest rate is a little higher (6.9 vs around 4 with the bank) but at least you can talk to a person all the time and the decision is made locally.

If either of them give me the loan i need then I’ll drive on with cows and that’ll give me a few videos to show what is and what isn’t possible on a moderate scale.

Thanks again 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Best of luck with that Kieran. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭pg141

Jesus Christ another Channel I want to watch!! Sure there'll be no Cows milked!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think farmers like myself like watching farmers on u tube who work hard and don't bluff. How many of ye walk into a neighbour or friends yard have a chat and a look just to compare and pick up ideas. That's what the spirit of what the videos should be about and I for one would keep coming back.

I think most genuine people on boards here are of the same belief. We all know the ones not to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

My Father said to me, no matter how big or small the farm you visit, you'll always see one thing they're are doing better than yourself. There is something to be learnt off every farm, shop or business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Gillespy

A lot of hard working farmers on youtube, few harder than Andy Hourigan of Farming, Fixing and Fabricating. Starts feeding a 4am.That takes up four hours and then spends a long day driving something or nonstop in the workshop. Gene passed on to his children as his two sons and two daughters are mad for work too.

Always makes me laugh seeing Irish farmers complaining about hardship. Bluffers usually. Oh you have a few silage bales to feed? And they smell a bit. You poor thing. Ten rows of cows to milk? Call an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

it's all relative.

You might point out some of these youtubers that complain about hardship? Can' think of any off top of my head,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Andy is a machine head, and the kids the same going by his videos, his brothers seem to be involved in the cow side of things, he's a specific skill-set, that's a real asset to that size of a operation if he was made milk the cows/feed calves etc 16 hours a day he'd probably have the cows up for sale in a week of doing it, he's the irish version of father Phil on alot bigger scale, a really knowledgeable hard working contractor basically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Its the mad/wild looking picture he has of himself for his profile photo… big hit with the ladies..

I see Adrian @IFarmWeFarm7615 mentioned some members on here that had suggestions for the crush head gate.

He's a very funny fella. 😂 A good job done on the gate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭straight

The boys on sheep shepherd are always good for a laugh.

That made me laugh!

I must remind Herself here of the fine specimen she landed 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, I nearly spat out my Coffee this morning. 😉

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Advertisement