Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

listened to that one lately. Fair play to him for the few quid he makes from youtube. I genuinely have learned a lot from his lambing videos etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pg141

Did you see Day 3 started the day losing 3 set of triplets, Christ if that happened to me I would just walk into the sea!

That lambing outside craic is mental, suppose mild springs you look like a genius but weather we are at the moment, they look like they off there heads!

I have a similar system as him albeit on a lot smaller scale with outdoor lambing but lamb real late. Lambing end of april/ start of may this year and hope to buy very little hard feed. Try to take advantage of the hopefully better prices in back end of the year and some winter grazing but like us all I'm completely at risk of poor prices. Lambing indoors is high input/cost.

This sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pg141

yeah but Running them into the shed and say they are in for a month, sure if you got those 3 triplets to selling stage it would pay for that, the comfort level would be increase for you and you could handle more sheep, turn them out a few days after they are born on to grass close to the yard, just my view you lads are more exp it at this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

lambing triplets is a luck game with a high percentage of losses, due to the lambs become very tight inside the ewe and a certain % are still born because of this, also the ewe can take longer to lamb all 3 lambs and lambs get under stress, hate to see triples at scanning time, can end up on different years with 50 - 70% born alive, same as cows with twins.

I think the 3rd is no addition unless you can wet Foster onto a single. Hate to see them myself also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@IFarmWeFarm7615

Looks like you have an imitation account on tiktok:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

For the channels that last, the likes of you and Adrian, for me anyway the attraction isn't watching grass being mowed, or slurry spread, or feeding cattle. Its the projects, see what ye're up to, the talking to camera, etc. Other channels that sprouted up over the last couple of years that just have long sequences of footage but no craic to the camera are the ones I see fizzling out.

3 videos a week is some commitment, I don't know how ye've kept it going this long!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭IFarmWeFarm7615

I seen that last night, don’t think i can do much only to report it. If you could do the same that would be great. Just hope they don’t start added links for stuff and catch people out.
    Thanks for letting me know 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Good video today from farm theory. I'll have to watch it a couple of times for it to sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

This guy is excellent, really insightful and you can see a lot of planning goes into his videos, which unfortunately is not the case with the more frequent posting youtubers. Less is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭straight

James Geoghegan talks about the future of Irish farming and rural Ireland

https://youtu.be/yYg0dEFvVlg?si=JbMZO2g-j5mUZnz5

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭somofagun

I had 11 sets of triplets in a flock of 32 ewes this year, out of the 11 I got:

2 lambs fostered

2 sets were born dead on the one day and lost one of the ewe a couple of days after, all good sized lambs

1 lamb born deformed & dead 2 others alive

3 pet lambs

Have been keeping the last 3 set of triplets in a shed but they can run in and out to a wee field, was giving them a bit of meal and went out one evening and here one of the lambs was lying dead, good tight lamb. OK **** happens so I put this ewe out with the rest of the other sheep wither her 2 lambs and a week later while do the evening check here another of her lams lying dead. Again a good strong lamb, so she is left with just one. Ewe has plenty of milk so they were getting fed.

Sheep would break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ralph_GM

Not a fan of that raised by the village program. The kids are used to make entertaining programming.

'let's record a clip of a city kid wearing wellies and standing in shite looking uncomfortable'

If I had troubles as a child, last thing I'd want is for it to be broadcast on national tv.

Realistically, the child will not have any long term positive impacts from it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Sure it’s just more of the usual shyte RTE come up with, how anyone can sit down and spend half an hour watching that dung beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Or the kids find it great to get away from the city and whatever shite they deal with there on a daily basis.

May also help other kids in a similar situation who see the programme and realise it's not all tar and concrete and there's life outside of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

how many acres is Karen farming?

Did I see her saying 6 cows calving this year?
    and also 1.5 tonne of urea being spread. Now I have never spread even a bag of urea so have no idea; we were always miserly with fert and organic now but that seems like a massive amount per head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Don't know about the acres but Urea would be one of the fertilizers that go on the heaviest amount per acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mr..

She keeps her calves till there at least yearlings so stocking rate would be more than just 6 adult calves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Jimbo789

A couple things I used always skip through on YouTube videos were drone shots showing machinery working and time lapse stuff like dosing cattle/sheep or pouring concrete but recently I find myself more often having to skip through YouTubers bringing their kids into the videos for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

This is worth a watch, how important is it to get temp to normal before stomach tubing.

Post edited by Lime Tree Farm on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

The girl from lucky day competition has a YouTube channel. Kinda behind the scenes. Wouldn't be my cup of tea. Has to be hard to be that giddy all the time. I entered 2 draws id say. Iv heard stories about things not being as they seem but I suppose if you win its cheap. They showed a couple of things not working correctly that were getting ready for auction. Didn't think it looked the part. Seemed to be plenty of people working there so fair play to them for setting up a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭leoch

She's trying to be one of the lads and only she's half easy on the eye they wouldn't bother about her and god does she know iit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've seen Sandi Brock from Sheepishly Me saying the same. She puts lambs into a box warmer to increase their temperature and most suck on their own after getting to temp.

In 2018 when we had the "Beast from the East" we lost seven young calves 14 to 19 days old. We had 120 bought in calves at the time. The older calves 25+ day old were fine but you could see the younger ones going downhill. We bedded both lorries, the drag trailer (OH rolled over the covers on his lorry & drag) and the jeep trailer deep with straw, parked them behind the sheds, out of the wind/snow and put heat lamps into them. It was a struggle at the time to feed them cmr but we let them out in batches in the feed passage of the slatted unit. Thankfully we had a few spare gates and plenty of pallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yes it is a bit of work but that is what you have to do to keep your calves/livestock as safe as possible otherwise……..☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I was trying to figure out what happened the newborn that died here a few weeks ago and came across the video. Her calf had temp of 34 and weighed 29 kg at 8 days. Our one was born during the night and was stomach tubed. The following morning couldn't get it drink either, temp 36, cold inside mouth and body. Put under lamp, stomach tubed again. It reacted after feeding, seemed in obvious pain, stretched out and died within a 20 minutes of tubing.. It was one of the heaviest calves I've seen here. The post mortem revealed nothing obvious. The only thing I could think was, it should have been warmed up to normal temp before feeding.

I'm only a farmer but be very careful with stomach feeding calves. You can get away with new borns stomach feeding colostrum but imo you're better off bottle feeding/dosing after. Bottle feeding/dosing allows them to drink so the fluids enter their abomasum where it is digested properly.

• Advertisement

@IFarmWeFarm7615 Congratulations Adrian on 100k subscribers. It's great that your Dad got a good lift with the news.

Advertisement